Chief’s Briefs - Creighton 2 Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Creighton 2 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what starting lineup are you advocating for ?
Cole/adams/polley/martin/sanogo?

Reaction Score
So what starting lineup are you advocating for ?
Cole/adams/polley/martin/sanogo?
Doubt anyone wants that.

Cole, Martin, Polley, Whaley, Sonogo.

Reaction Score
Bouk, crazy talented carries us on his back.

This game as in most. Offensive rebounding advantage doesn't connect to points advantage. We miss the second chance opportunity most of the time a bunny. We also don't take advantage of free points at the end of the game. 1 n 1 opportunities for us missed front end of 1 n 1s.
We do these 2 things slightly better and wer'e at worst 1 lose.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
We need to feed Sanogo in the post with Polley same side corner and Cole same side up top. That way AS has shooters to pass to if he gets doubled from that side. If the double comes from the weak side Whaley should be on the weak side to flash for a pass. One sequence today Whaley was in front of the Creighton bench and passed to Sanogo in the post, Whaley's man immediately doubled down so AS passed out to IW who turned down a wide open 3 and passed back out to the top of the key. I think we need to find spots for Polley where he isn't receiving the ball on the move. Now that we have a capable post scorer we need the opponent to decide which poison to pick. Double the post or open up a shooter on the perimeter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't remember the last time Polley made a basket. He needs to be on the wing waiting for a pass from a penetrator not circling the heavens and heaving up a fall away jumper.

My pet peeve : UConn defenders running at a shooter and either letting them go around them or not boxing out after the shot (listening RJ?).

C

Chief00

I’ve noticed the last 2 games that Donny Marshall either wants us to lose or is just trying really hard not be project uconn bias because everyone knows he played there.
I think it’s the later.

C

Chief00

I would imagine when we look back on this season we’ll all remember when Chief exercised caution when casual fans were advocating for a high national ranking, which is definitely something that makes sense and happened.

Doesn’t make sense without Bouknight. That’s our current state. However, Chief thinks it’s great that cadual fans are enthusiastic, even when it’s over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Whaley was 2-4 from 3, he had about a dozen times they left him completely open. I'm not advocating him being our 3 point shooting threat but if the other team is literally leaving you open and we've seen him hit them and coach says he's a decent 3 point shooter, why not shoot more?
The 2 for 4 included a bank shot.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I don't remember the last time Polley made a basket. He needs to be on the wing waiting for a pass from a penetrator not circling the heavens and heaving up a fall away jumper.

My pet peeve : UConn defenders running at a shooter and either letting them go around them or not boxing out after the shot (listening RJ?).

Really needed Polley to make a few 3s today. He was amazing for two games and then mia the next two. If he is not hitting his shots early it usually indicates he won't be later. He is streaky and really need him to contribute while Bouk is out ... but he is having a tough time when teams focus to defend him.

Reaction Score
It seems every player has some confidence issues which is probably a result of certain players being sidelined and games being cancelled and unable to find consistency in their roles. Cole sometimes struggles to bring the ball up but at times roams through the paint at will. Had a nice wide open shot in the paint today.

Reaction Score
Sanogo has major tools and played like a freshman at times. Within the next year he will be scary. At times it seemed like he was the only Husky that actually wanted the ball. Hope he doesn’t unlearn that as part of his development.

My absolute favorite part of college ball is watching players develop from year to year.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I'm sure I'm not the first or last person to be disappointed with what's in your briefs.
Yes, you pretend you read and comprehend the Briefs after every game for the excuse of saying how disappointed you are. You probably continue to go back to restaurants you are disappointed in too - LOL

Reaction Score
IMO. The argument could be made that our three best athletes also happen to be injured. Notice I said athletes. Why? Because until or if they return. We may not always be the more athletic team as compared to our opponents.

What can you do about it? Among other things. Play great defense-esp. help defense.. Control the Boards. And win ugly. Do what you do well and try to impose your will on opponents through toughness and execution. Effort being the key.

I believe that we are still a Tournament team with our injured players back and a strong BET showing.

Never thought I would say this but in Bouk's absence. Starting to look like Adama's team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. It's so blatantly obvious that UConn needs a pure shooter - someone who has confidence in his shot and is sure every one he throws up from anywhere on the court is going in. It would help tremendously if the same guy could play a little defense. There's a lot of those kids out there and nearly every successful team has at least one.
2. This team is going no where fast without a PG that can penetrate and distribute, someone who is not afraid to initiate contact. This PG also needs to play D with determination. Haven't seen that in a while. Gaff had 2 nice dishes today but his foot speed is non existent.
3. I have no issue with IW throwing up some 3s. In fact he passed up on way too many open shots today. He had a miserable day offensively near the hoop but we have seen what he brings to the floor - he is not the issue.
4. Why can't Springs get a bit of PT especially with Akok sitting?
5. Yeah Polley had a few nice games but he sure doesn't play like a senior. If he can't create a shot for himself he is basically useless. His D is getting worse. Scoreless today?
6. Sanogo will be a beast next year and beyond. Tough game in some respects but a very good game in other aspects.
7. I thought Martin did a better job at trying to create and drive to the hoop. He also had a sub par game and I felt DH should have had him on Jefferson from the start.
8. Cole is mentally a scorer but this ain't Howard
9. Can UConn please practice a little zone and throw it in when the opponent is chewing up the man to man with better athletes and bad match-ups?

Knew it wasn't going to be easy playing at a ranked team that was coming off 2 consecutive losses but as much as I was impressed with UConn's ability to come back a few times today, the lack of an offensive system is annoying.
On with Butler
Can we get a solid bit of info on Bouks rehab time?

Reaction Score
Whaley was 2-4 from 3, he had about a dozen times they left him completely open. I'm not advocating him being our 3 point shooting threat but if the other team is literally leaving you open and we've seen him hit them and coach says he's a decent 3 point shooter, why not shoot more?
Thought the same thing. Him shooting a wide open uncontested shot is better than most shots we get.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not a matter of starting or coming off the bench for Polley.

It's that force-feeding him the ball doesn't work when opposing teams know they just need to play him tight. He's no threat off the dribble and don't need to respect it.

Most of our worst sequences are a forced Polley 3 leading to a runout on the other end.

He isn’t the answer for this team. He doesn’t rebound, is the worst defender on the team, can’t shoot off the dribble and is not one of our better players. The more he plays the worse we do.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, when some posters a few weeks ago were advocating a high national ranking, Chief exercised caution. Without Bouknight, offense comes really hard for this group. Our defense and rebounding is good but Creighton had matchups where they could take us off the dribble. That really hurt and got us in foul trouble.

Chief thinks this Tyler scoring off the bench concept is overdone - we can’t afford a scoring drought to open up the game against a good team and wait 6 minutes before we have an outside threat. Too many bad habits form. The game is too ugly by then and the flow is bad. Today he was Artic cold coming off the bench.

Whaley looks really bad offensively, he’s rushing everything and not exhibiting good hands or judgement. I think Gaffney is the guy who we can get more offense from and he’s got to start being assertive.

Agree with Donny, our Bigs have trouble enough scoring in the post, why do we give them the ball so far away from the hoop? Ends in disaster too often.

While our defense was good too often our center is doubling a guard over 20 feet away from the hoop that leads to a mad scramble, which leads to a foul or a mismatch drive. This is why teams think they can beat us playing small. Bigs fouls caused by bad scheme given personnel. In the second half Creighton was brilliant exploiting mismatches.

Sanogo is the only Big who has any moves in the post with the hands, strength and touch to finish. Our offense needs to work through him. He needs to be confident he will get that pass and that means he’s got to be willing to give it up if nothing is there. Great offensive rebounding but Josh and Whaley finishing with bad hands and lack of power today.
Tough to win when you shoot 35% FG and 20% from 4. Cole, Martin and Sanogo were the only ones who played well offensively and Adama had around 5 turnovers.
Your problems identified in paragraphs 2, 3, and 4 should all be correctable with a better offensive concept and better discipline. That does come down to coaching. I am really getting tired of the high weaves against man D.

Reaction Score
The way I see it these last few games is that we are either winning or playing these teams within an inch of their lives, and all this without our best scorer and all-around player, you know, Bouknight, the one with a verifiable NBA skillset, and very soon to be a first round lottery pick. The one who draws so much planned defensive attention that Hurley's offensive strategies work much better, and the game opens up for other players.

In the meantime the team is getting better, our rebounding is impressive, and several players are playing noticeably better with more game experience and confidence. Sanogo, Cole, and Adams are all playing better. Say what you will, but this last game, all three of these players are showing improvement. Adams is playing tough, solid, workmanlike ball
. Jalen Gaffney is slowly getting better, and given the minutes he will be a good player for us.

All this being said, with Bouknight back, we could win this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom