OT: - Celtics / Cavs megadeal | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Celtics / Cavs megadeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Can't believe Danny caved. This is a C-/D deal.

Caved? Giving up a 2020 2nd Rounder? He needed to give the Cavs something for the deal to go down so they could save face.

But the Celts "won" this part of the deal.

This was amateur hour on the part of the Cavs.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Caved? Giving up a 2020 2nd Rounder? He needed to give the Cavs something for the deal to go down so they could save face.

But the Celts "won" this part of the deal.

This was amateur hour on the part of the Cavs.

Giving up more to guarantee you get schooled by a rookie gm is caving.

They would've been better off letting the deal fall apart. Brooklyn never should've been a part of this discussion.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Giving up more to guarantee you get schooled by a rookie gm is caving.

They would've been better off letting the deal fall apart. Brooklyn never should've been a part of this discussion.

What constituted a good deal when it was made and what constituted a good deal after the Celtis alienated a guy with his heart on his sleeve and a chip on his shoulder (two guys, actually) are two very, very different things. You realize that, right?

Altman got schooled. "We want Tatum." "You'll get a guy from Oregon State who'll never play a day in the NBA." "Deal."

It's not really his fault--reports are that Gilbert was driving the bus--but he ain't winning any Executive of the Year awards for this. It's a good deal for the Cavs but he looks like a clown. You trade for a guy you know is injured, you leak and allow to be implied all kinds of explosive stuff even though the player passes the physical, and then after all that you take a meaningless future pick? Not a good look.

Reaction Score
Looking at Miami, that pick could easily end up in the top 40. They're capped out and older than you think.

Aside from Horford what relevant player on this current Celts team wont either be squarely in their prime or on the upward trajectory toward their prime?

the Q

Reaction Score
What constituted a good deal when it was made and what constituted a good deal after the Celtis alienated a guy with his heart on his sleeve and a chip on his shoulder (two guys, actually) are two very, very different things. You realize that, right?

Altman got schooled. "We want Tatum." "You'll get a guy from Oregon State who'll never play a day in the NBA." "Deal."

It's not really his fault--reports are that Gilbert was driving the bus--but he ain't winning any Executive of the Year awards for this. It's a good deal for the Cavs but he looks like a clown. You trade for a guy you know is injured, you leak and allow to be implied all kinds of explosive stuff even though the player passes the physical, and then after all that you take a meaningless future pick? Not a good look.

Disagree.

They're professionals and IT has way too much on the line to sulk.

Crowder goes form starting to a bench player in CLe. I doubt he'd be nearly as angry as others think.

The clippers pick max should've been the pick in this deal, especially when paired with zizic .

the Q

Reaction Score

the Q

Reaction Score
Aside from Horford what relevant player on this current Celts team wont either be squarely in their prime or on the upward trajectory toward their prime?

And in 2-3 years when GS may be vulnerable...now it's horford and Hayward.

the Q

Reaction Score
Hayward will be 29 in 2 years.

And will be in his decline phase already. He'll still be good, but not this year or last year good

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Disagree.

They're professionals and IT has way too much on the line to sulk.

Crowder goes form starting to a bench player in CLe. I doubt he'd be nearly as angry as others think.

The clippers pick max should've been the pick in this deal, especially when paired with zizic .

1. He would've played hard and scored a lot of points if the deal was canceled. But would he have played for the name on the front of his jersey or the back?

2. Maybe. But Crowder wasn't happy all last year knowing that the Celts wanted to upgrade at SF with Hayward and he can't have been too happy to see it happen. And his PT would've been cut in Boston.

Maybe your first two points are right. I don't think so. More likely Ainge would've had to deal them for very low value.

3. This is conflating the value of the deal when it was made and the value of the deal once we all found out that (as both sides knew) IT's injury was more serious than a lot of people knew, and the value of the deal once it was made and Cleveland was threatening to renege. When the deal was made I thought it was an overpay. But what I said (among other things) was, IT's injury must be more serious than I thought it was. Turned out it was.

the Q

Reaction Score
1. He would've played hard and scored a lot of points if the deal was canceled. But would he have played for the name on the front of his jersey or the back?

2. Maybe. But Crowder wasn't happy all last year knowing that the Celts wanted to upgrade at SF with Hayward and he can't have been too happy to see it happen. And his PT would've been cut in Boston.

Maybe your first two points are right. I don't think so. More likely Ainge would've had to deal them for very low value.

3. This is conflating the value of the deal when it was made and the value of the deal once we all found out that (as both sides knew) IT's injury was more serious than a lot of people knew, and the value of the deal once it was made and Cleveland was threatening to renege. When the deal was made I thought it was an overpay. But what I said (among other things) was, IT's injury must be more serious than I thought it was. Turned out it was.

Then let them reneg. There isn't a form of a kyrie deal on earth that gets me to give up Brooklyn for him

the Q

Reaction Score

To number 1, I've always had hat question.

There's a reason he was a malcontent everywhere he went until Brad just gave him reign to be a gunner.

the Q

Reaction Score

One thing that is for certain, Danny cares a lot more about feelings this summer than most.

First not going hard for butler cause they didn't think he and Hayward would mesh, and now this.

Reaction Score
Tom Haberstroh is on ESPN right now saying their RPM models project the Celtics to win 45 games and that he agrees with them.

I don't agree with everything he's saying in his explanation, but he makes a good point in saying that this is essentially going to be a brand new Celtics team. That's something I don't think enough people are talking about - they had a really good team in place that they essentially blew up, and while I think they'll be better in the long-run, the results might not be there immediately. I think people are factoring in Stevens being a wizard to their optimism, but is he better than a guy like Spoelstra? Maybe not. 56.5 wins or whatever it is seems too high.

Reaction Score
Name me a single all star level player in the last 10 or so years who didn't have any injury history that started noticeably declining by the age of 29.

Deron Williams is the only guy that comes to mind. (Ben Gordon wasn't an all-star, I don't think, but he'd fit too.)

Reaction Score
Deron Williams is the only guy that comes to mind. (Ben Gordon wasn't an all-star, I don't think, but he'd fit too.)

Yeah I guess he had his fall off around his age 30 season. Just kinda seemed like he got fat/out of shape.

the Q

Reaction Score
Name me a single all star level player in the last 10 or so years who didn't have any injury history that started noticeably declining by the age of 29.

KG's decline started at 29 based on both BPM and VORP. And never hit his age 28 levels again, or frankly ever came remotely close.

had a bounce back year in 07-08 (but not up to his previous Minny levels) and then never came close again. Yes he got hurt in 08-09, but he wasn't on track to reach the previous year's level anyway based on VORP.

I admit he's a little odd because he came right out of HS so he probably has more miles on his body than most average 29 year olds, but he would fit. Deron Williams seems to fit as well.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yeah I guess he had his fall off around his age 30 season. Just kinda seemed like he got fat/out of shape.

Didn't wiliams seemingly have ankle problems forever? or is that just me?

Reaction Score
KG's decline started at 29 based on both BPM and VORP. And never hit his age 28 levels again, or frankly ever came remotely close.

had a bounce back year in 07-08 (but not up to his previous Minny levels) and then never came close again. Yes he got hurt in 08-09, but he wasn't on track to reach the previous year's level anyway based on VORP.

I admit he's a little odd because he came right out of HS so he probably has more miles on his body than most average 29 year olds, but he would fit. Deron Williams seems to fit as well.

I think you may have misunderstood the question, name me a player within the last 10 years that had a noticeable decline (that wasn't primarily injury related). I didn't ask if a player had their best season at 29. KG still put up 22-13-4 on 53% for a horrible TWolves team as a 29 year old. Even if that might not have been his absolute best season, you wouldn't call that a noticeable decline from his prime phase either.

Reaction Score
Didn't wiliams seemingly have ankle problems forever? or is that just me?

That would invalidate him from inclusion then as his decline would at that point be injury related as opposed to just a normal age related decline in production.

Reaction Score

Just one of those guys. Josh Smith might deserve a mention too, now that I think of it. Dwight has obviously had the back problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom