OT: - Celtics / Cavs megadeal | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT: Celtics / Cavs megadeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I agree with much of that, listening to all this analysis, and thinking about it myself, the C's had absolutely no choice to move on from Isaiah. Way, way too many headwinds there. And I love the guy.
  • Size of next contract for what he is
  • Advanced age under next contract
  • Especially for a guy who relies so much on athleticism to score
  • Odds of recovering form that type of injury at that age
  • Defensive weakness on top of everything else
  • Add in the height thing
I mean, there was no choice. The only choice is HOW they moved on.
That's all correct, this was the Belichek move. Only counter argument is everyone has bet against Isaiah in the past and the little guy consistently proves them wrong. I'm hoping he does it again and wins a title in 17-18 & gets his big contract, again he is 'owed' for last 2 years with Celtics in that his production far exceeded his $6M salary.

With respect to Hayward vs Kyrie salaries, Avery Bradley made almost $2M more than Isaiah last year and Amir Johnson 2 x and Horford 4 x. Hayward signed to max they could pay him and is getting 128M = I think they can deal with it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That's all correct, this was the Belichek move. Only counter argument is everyone has bet against Isaiah in the past and the little guy consistently proves them wrong. I'm hoping he does it again and wins a title in 17-18 & gets his big contract, again he is 'owed' for last 2 years with Celtics in that his production far exceeded his $6M salary.

With respect to Hayward vs Kyrie salaries, Avery Bradley made almost $2M more than Isaiah last year and Amir Johnson 2 x and Horford 4 x. Hayward signed to max they could pay him and is getting 128M = I think they can deal with it.

But you're paying 90 mil then for a core of al, GH (seriously he needs a cool nickname) and kyrie. Which is just flat out not a title contending core.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I root for teams, not the players on them. I like IT, and love the class he showed with his statement this week. Great guy. I wish him personal good will. On the other hand, I hate the Cavs, and want them to lose as much as possible. None of this changes any of that. I'll root for the Celtics.

I am torn on the trade, not because we lose a guy like IT, but because we lose the Nets pick, and I don't know what Kyrie will give us, mostly on the defensive side, but also as a distributor. He is a point guard, and I guarantee you that Stevens is going to expect him to do more than score. If he buys in, plays D, distributes and scores like he can, this is a great trade and Irving can turn himself into a hall of fame player. What I'm looking for there is something like what we saw James Harden do last year for Houston.

Reaction Score
But you're paying 90 mil then for a core of al, GH (seriously he needs a cool nickname) and kyrie. Which is just flat out not a title contending core.

And ideally Jayson Tatum is an all-star on his rookie deal and Jaylen Brown is a solid starter on the last year of his rookie deal, and Bamba is on his rookie deal. Etc.

Reaction Score
True. But I'm unsure how you quantify that. It also assumes you want to pay him more than a superior player in Hayward

I enjoy that you keep saying this. If we polled all the GMs in the league as to who was better between Kyrie/Hayward, what do you suppose the results would be?

the Q

Reaction Score
I enjoy that you keep saying this. If we polled all the GMs in the league as to who was better between Kyrie/Hayward, what do you suppose the results would be?

Because it's fact

the Q

Reaction Score
What about the rest of my post? You want to find me any knowledgeable source that shares your opinion?

Can you find a source with a direct q and a about this?

We know Hayward has been more valuable. That's not up for debate. And Irving has never been the same since he was injured in the 2015 finals.

Reaction Score
Can you find a source with a direct q and a about this?

We know Hayward has been more valuable. That's not up for debate. And Irving has never been the same since he was injured in the 2015 finals.

Can you find me a single knowledgeable source that shares your opinion that Hayward is better than Kyrie? This is about the 3rd time I've asked.

the Q

Reaction Score
Can you find me a single knowledgeable source that shares your opinion that Hayward is better than Kyrie? This is about the 3rd time I've asked.

Why do you care about opinion when the data already exists proving that it's true?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Why do you care about opinion when the data already exists proving that it's true?

Since they are on the same team, and play different positions, how is this stupid argument even remotely relevant to anything?

the Q

Reaction Score
If I was a lawyer, and I am, I'd call this non-responsive.

i'd say he's asking for something that doesn't exist.

There's no 30 gm poll asking this specific question out there.

the Q

Reaction Score
If I was a lawyer, and I am, I'd call this non-responsive.

Plus he's been ignoring my points anyway, so him being unresponsive first means....do your job counselor.

the Q

Reaction Score
Since they are on the same team, and play different positions, how is this stupid argument even remotely relevant to anything?

Nielson is throwing a hissy fit because Hayward is clearly the better player and he won't let it go.

Reaction Score

What data is that? 1 not entirely reliable metric? So you think all 30 GMs would vote 30-0 for Hayward?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nielson is throwing a hissy fit because Hayward is clearly the better player and he won't let it go.

You are both acting like morons because (a) it isn't anything provable and (b) it is completely irrelevant.

the Q

Reaction Score
What data is that? 1 not entirely reliable metric? So you think all 30 GMs would vote 30-0 for Hayward?

You don't consider any metric reliable.

the Q

Reaction Score
You are both acting like morons because (a) it isn't anything provable and (b) it is completely irrelevant.

Sure it is.

VORP
RPM
or any number of metrics are out there

there are multiple ways this can be proved.

His way can't be proved because the survey he's asking for has never been taken.

Reaction Score
FWIW on Lowe post this week both Zach L & Howard Beck agreed that Hayward might be better. It'll be interesting to see who is better under Stevens. I do think there's some chance Kyrie wilts in Boston whereas almost sure GH will flourish.

If Tatum is an all star-ish the core of a optimized Kyrie - Hayward - Horford is enough in a post Warriors post LeBron world.

Reaction Score
FWIW on Lowe post this week both Zach L & Howard Beck agreed that Hayward might be better. It'll be interesting to see who is better under Stevens. I do think there's some chance Kyrie wilts in Boston whereas almost sure GH will flourish.

If Tatum is an all star-ish the core of a optimized Kyrie - Hayward - Horford is enough in a post Warriors post LeBron world.

Do you have eyes? Then you can plainly see Kyrie is the better player. This isn't baseball, not everything is segmented and lends itself to metrics.

Can't believe you actually needed a lead in for this absolute dud of a post. Take a lap.

Sure it is.

VORP
RPM
or any number of metrics are out there

there are multiple ways this can be proved.

His way can't be proved because the survey he's asking for has never been taken.

Your entire argument is based upon 1-2 analytics in a sport where analytics aren't totally reliable to begin with. If everything in the sport could be defined by metrics then there would be no need for human GMs. I assume that people actually being paid to make these decisions probably know how to weight and regard RPM better than some kid looking at what the basketball reference algorithm spits out. I've yet to see a single respectable person in or around the league mention Hayward in the same tier of players that Kyrie is in, and that's not because there's any kind of "anti analytics movement", it's because basketball analytics don't define things nearly as well as they do in baseball.

Reaction Score
Do you have eyes? Then you can plainly see Kyrie is the better player. This isn't baseball, not everything is segmented and lends itself to metrics.

Can't believe you actually needed a lead in for this absolute dud of a post. Take a lap.

Your entire argument is based upon 1-2 analytics in a sport where analytics aren't totally reliable to begin with. If everything in the sport could be defined by metrics then there would be no need for human GMs. I assume that people actually being paid to make these decisions probably know how to weight and regard RPM better than some kid looking at what the basketball reference algorithm spits out. I've yet to see a single respectable person in or around the league mention Hayward in the same tier of players that Kyrie is in, and that's not because there's any kind of "anti analytics movement", it's because basketball analytics don't define things nearly as well as they do in baseball.

I made a post this winter in the general NBA thread expressing outrage that Tom Haberstroh was on ESPN arguing Hayward over Irving. I still strongly disagree but I have heard more and more people make this argument. We may be on the outside on this one, absurd as it seems to me.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The fact is, and it's a great one for us Celtics fans, that both players are on the rise and we don't know who'll have the highest actual ceiling when all is said and done.

Kyrie is better right now, I think, but his D needs major improvement, and his decision-making needs to get better. Hayward isn't nearly as big a threat to drop 50 on you any given night but he's a great two-way player and seems to get better every year.

Reaction Score
You need to settle down on this. I posted the opinions of others (legit, respected by the way) and you asked if I have eyes?! Kyrie is a better offensive player, Hayward better defensive player and b/c Hayward is closer to Kyrie offensively than Kyrie to Hayward defensively its not unreasonable for some people to think Hayward is better all around. And since they are now on the same team I struggle to see why it matters so much if at all.

Reaction Score
You need to settle down on this. I posted the opinions of others (legit, respected by the way) and you asked if I have eyes?! Kyrie is a better offensive player, Hayward better defensive player and b/c Hayward is closer to Kyrie offensively than Kyrie to Hayward defensively its not unreasonable for some people to think Hayward is better all around. And since they are now on the same team I struggle to see why it matters so much if at all.

I don't see the other wing nuts replies (Ignore) but he's a real dope dd, not worth your time as I am sure you are finding out. Your point here is spot on. Like you and nomar have basically said it's a great debate for C's fans as it's a win-win and who cares who's better if they both perform to their abilities and potentially more this team could be really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom