Catholic schools leaving this year, taking Big East name | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Catholic schools leaving this year, taking Big East name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This makes absolutely no sense. As has been made abundantly clear during the whole conference realignment perception is reality. The name the big east will add value because it reminds people of basketball history (or at the very least it sticks it to the C-7, i mean this is like your grilfriend cheating on you and you giving her a nice long back rub because your best friend really worked her over hard, at a certain point there's just no need to be that cool about it makes you look weak). There is absolutely no reason to sell the name even if everyone that was in the conference leaves.

Reaction Score
We can only hope that the ACC gets raided soon.
Why? Do you want to marry the bitch that turned you down? This and is in love with someone who has less to offer...
My hope is for bigger things than begging...

Reaction Score
Dave Gavitt was (obviously) a Providence man. Let the legacy of the conference live on in basketball. That is what lead to the creation of the conference and is now legendary in. It did make some very strong noise in football. Just point to the WVU-Clemson Orange Bowl and the Louisville-Florida Sugar Bowl. And us. We just couldn't beat Oklahoma.

We have Kevin Ollie. The man has potential to be a huge hit in college basketball. He's 10 seconds away from being 4-2 against the top 25 in his first year. DeAndre Daniels, his recruit, had a breakout game against a #7 team. I don't think DeAndre regrets his decision to come play for him.

Reaction Score
What possessed the the other schools to give up the Big East name to the Catholic7 for money?

This whole thing makes me sick. We went from being the Beast of the Big East to who knows what. And to add insult to injury, in just few weeks they're holding the last true BET and we're not allowed too be part of it.

As much as I knew this run away train was going crash and burn, this announcement really pissed me off. I'm still stunned that less then two years ago we were tournament champs of the best hoops conference in the country and topped that with a national championship. As it stands now, we don't even know what our new conference is called.

Reaction Score
What possessed the the other schools to give up the Big East name to the Catholic7 for money?

This whole thing makes me sick. We went from being the Beast of the Big East to who knows what. And to add insult to injury, in just few weeks they're holding the last true BET and we're not allowed too be part of it.

As much as I knew this run away traintrain was going crash and burn, this announcement really pissed me off. I'm still stunned that less then two years ago we were tournament champs of the best hoops conference in the country and topped that with a national championship. As it stands now, we don't even know what our new conference is called.
They are searching for a name that doesn't rhyme with LEAST.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We're stuck in limbo. Like Jack Sparrow. Everything turns out okay though.

Reaction Score

As much as I knew this run away train was going crash and burn, this announcement really pissed me off. I'm still stunned that less then two years ago we were tournament champs of the best hoops conference in the country and topped that with a national championship. As it stands now, we don't even know what our new conference is called.

If you want sick, just picture the last BE championship game being two ACC duckers Ville vs. Cuse with us not getting any invite at all. We've been the face of this conference for the last 15-20 years and we're getting the shaft while Aresco sits there with his tty grin and tells the CT media that we're paying the price but it's OK because we'll be back in teh tourney next year.
duck you Aresco. My five year old could have negotiated a contract almost as bad as the one you just did.

Reaction Score
Once again, now that everyone is really leaving after this, just let UConn play in the Big East Tournament. I would love to win the BE tournament this year just to deny any of the other schools the automatic bid.

Reaction Score
How sweet will it be when we're once again at the top of the mountain with a 4th national championship?

Reaction Score
What the hell is Aresco holding out for now regarding UConn in the BET?

Reaction Score
Aresco has no say, it's the presidents and they are not going to change their minds.

Reaction Score
Aresco has no say, it's the presidents and they are not going to change their minds.

The presidents can screw. Their vote expired long ago. Make the decree and tell them if they don't like it, screw. Only Cincy and USF have any say in the matter.

Reaction Score
This makes absolutely no sense. As has been made abundantly clear during the whole conference realignment perception is reality. The name the big east will add value because it reminds people of basketball history (or at the very least it sticks it to the C-7, i mean this is like your grilfriend cheating on you and you giving her a nice long back rub because your best friend really worked her over hard, at a certain point there's just no need to be that cool about it makes you look weak). There is absolutely no reason to sell the name even if everyone that was in the conference leaves.

You're kidding, right? UCONN has been trying to blow every BCS conference out there in hopes of escaping the BE. The C7 are the cheating girlfriends? Give me a break, they're just trying to survive in a football world. UCONN wanted to be a football school and now they're learning first hand what that means. Don't blame the girl when you're the one hitting on every tramp in the bar and you're junk is too small.

Reaction Score
You're kidding, right? UCONN has been trying to blow every BCS conference out there in hopes of escaping the BE. The C7 are the cheating girlfriends? Give me a break, they're just trying to survive in a football world. UCONN wanted to be a football school and now they're learning first hand what that means. Don't blame the girl when you're the one hitting on every tramp in the bar and you're junk is too small.

Your analogies are seriously bad, not to mention your grammar. Look up "mixed metaphors." If the tramps are turning us down at the bar, what does that make you? The ugly schlub mooching off of us for years like a parasite? Yes.

As for football, were it not for that, UConn would have joined the C7 and then watched as the Big conferences split off and formed their own association, while the rest of the college basketball world became totally irrelevant. That may still happen to UConn, but at least the school has a chance, while yours does not.

Reaction Score
Your analogies are seriously bad, not to mention your grammar. Look up "mixed metaphors." If the tramps are turning us down at the bar, what does that make you? The ugly schlub mooching off of us for years like a parasite? Yes.

As for football, were it not for that, UConn would have joined the C7 and then watched as the Big conferences split off and formed their own association, while the rest of the college basketball world became totally irrelevant. That may still happen to UConn, but at least the school has a chance, while yours does not.

Yea...I'm on the edge of my seat for next year's UCONN-Tulane matchup.

There will always be a market for good college basketball. We will will be in a conference that provides that. UCONN will likely not. Doesn't it piss you off when you're ugly schub ex is dating a doctor with a summer home on the Cape?

Reaction Score
Yea...I'm on the edge of my seat for next year's UCONN-Tulane matchup.

There will always be a market for good college basketball. We will will be in a conference that provides that. UCONN will likely not. Doesn't it piss you off when you're ugly schub ex is dating a doctor with a summer home on the Cape?

Trust me, the country isn't looking forward the schlubs of the CYO league either. Bad teams at the bottom. I mean, teams that haven't accomplished a damn thing since before Rip van Winkle fell asleep, like Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, DePaul etc. Even the Catholic school fans at the top call these schools dregs.

You're absolutely dreaming if you think you can survive when there is no chance in hell you will ever play schools like Duke and North Carolina in a tournament playoff game.

Reaction Score
Trust me, the country isn't looking forward the schlubs of the CYO league either. Bad teams at the bottom. I mean, teams that haven't accomplished a damn thing since before Rip van Winkle fell asleep, like Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, DePaul etc. Even the Catholic school fans at the top call these schools dregs.

You're absolutely dreaming if you think you can survive when there is no chance in hell you will ever play schools like Duke and North Carolina in a tournament playoff game.

Let's see...would I rather be part of a hoops conference with Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, and oh yea...Xavier and Butler, or

A misfit, I'm not sure what I'm good at conference with UCONN, USF, Cincy, Tulane, Houston, Memphis, Central FL, SMU, Boise State, and San Diego...oh wait, didn't Boise State and SDSU already jump ship before their tenure even began?

You can spin it however you want, but UCONN is in a bad place and it's killing you buffoons that things are looking pretty good for the PeeCees and Johnnies of the C7.

D

Deleted member 3149

Let's see...would I rather be part of a hoops conference with Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, and oh yea...Xavier and Butler, or

A misfit, I'm not sure what I'm good at conference with UCONN, USF, Cincy, Tulane, Houston, Memphis, Central FL, SMU, Boise State, and San Diego...oh wait, didn't Boise State and SDSU already jump ship before their tenure even began?

You can spin it however you want, but UCONN is in a bad place and it's killing you buffoons that things are looking pretty good for the PeeCees and Johnnies of the C7.
Things look beautiful for us. We're the most successful program of the past 15 years and we have a legitimate shot at a 4th title next year. Go away.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they'll be fine. Recruits drool over the prospect of playing in front of a packed house at The UCF Arena - ironically named, The Dungeon

Does the Misfit 8 Tournament Champion get an automatic bid?

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score

yeah maybe right now it sucks but when we are in the Big ten in a couple years with ANOTHER championship under our belt the only misfit is going to be you and the c7 schools

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Don't worry guys. Aresco's got this. He's negotiating a tournament venue in Maine. All opening day games will have to end promptly at 7pm though because its in conflict with the Rockport Lobsterfest Ball at 8pm. Our championship game will be sold out and quite a sight to behold on Tuesday at 2pm. Get your tickets ASAP. 2000 seats sell out pretty quickly.

I'm sorry....if they get the name, they have to take Aresco, too.

I have a dog that isn't really too bright....we can get her to take over as Commissioner of our new conference....

Compared to Aresco, I anticipate no noticable drop off, and potentially a bit of an improvement in performance.

Reaction Score
When UCONN is in the Big 10 BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

You just made my day.

Reaction Score
Well i'll take your tone and raise you a . Now i was talking about the big east, you know that entity that everybody decided to leave. The catholic 7 are leaving the big east and there is no reason for the conference to give over it's name regardless of what UConn is doing. BTW I think in this scenario storrs might have gotten an std.

D

Deleted member 3149

I'm sure they'll be fine. Recruits drool over the prospect of playing in front of a packed house at The UCF Arena - ironically named, The Dungeon

Does the Misfit 8 Tournament Champion get an automatic bid?

You're right. Recruits would probably rather go to Providence College with the opportunity to play for Ed Cooley at the Dunkin Donuts Center in downtown Providence. Did I mention they went to the final four in 1973 and 1987? Wasn't too long ago, was it?

The joke is on the catholic 7 when there becomes 4 super conferences, and the small private schools are left out because they are a financial LIABILITY. Post back here in 365 days, we'll see how the tables have turned.

Reaction Score
No, it was Tranghese that added Depaul and Marquette instead of adding teams like Memphis and UCF to appease the bball schools. The lack of stability with football enabled the conference to get picked apart. This lies mostly with Tranghese, Marinatto was just an inadequate providence replacement to please the bball schools.

LMAO. By "appease," you mean "did what he had to do to have the votes to add Louisville, USF and Cincy?" Those are not the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom