Cancelled. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1) You're assuming that everyone is staying
2) You're refusing to accept that some people can't leave, and may need help from family.

You don't know the personal situation of the 150+ players, families, and staff.

if my mom was in the state and needed help, you're GD right I'd fly into the storm to help her.

1. Of course they are. Where in the world do you think they are going? Hitchhiking back to Winter Haven?

2. Some people can't leave but guess what - it's way too late for anyone in Tampa to change that. If you are a USF football player guess what you can do in Miami - nada.

Are you going to flap your arms to get into the air? Show up at the airport and demand a flight? Because you can get there and make the wind stop?

Reaction Score
1. Of course they are. Where in the world do you think they are going? Hitchhiking back to Winter Haven?

2. Some people can't leave but guess what - it's way too late for anyone in Tampa to change that. If you are a USF football player guess what you can do in Miami - nada.

Are you going to flap your arms to get into the air? Show up at the airport and demand a flight? Because you can get there and make the wind stop?
You're right. I'd drive.

Care to explain why the market had no fear of UConn winning but aresco was so scared he used the hurricane as an excuse?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're right. I'd drive.

Care to explain why the market had no fear of UConn winning but aresco was so scared he used the hurricane as an excuse?

I guess you missed the news there is no gas.

I can't pull up the line history on my site now because the game is down - but it did move over a key number to 16.5.

I never said that Aresco was scared - I said that USF didn't want to play the game because of the distraction and didn't want to put their Illinois prep at risk.

I do believe that the AAC is more than happy to protect USF in this spot because they believe they have the inside track to the money because of their pre-season ranking. For USF beating a Big 10 team even as bad as Illinois is a lot more valuable than beating UConn.

The only logical reason for USF to stay in Tampa is to avoid playing a road game that gains them nothing and puts them at risk for their next game because they get stranded.

If this hurricane is truly dangerous to Tampa... well then USF has made the decision to put the players and coaches at risk by staying there versus evacuating to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Trying not to be a smart @33.

Gas is difficult to find once you're into Florida. But it's not sold out. but they also make these things, and there's plenty of gas here to fill a couple of these up to bring.

1b9b5450-1965-412f-b787-3032c04b1ad2_1.311224b906a3110563ac8ed1eaf797c7.jpeg

The hurricane is dangerous to Tampa. But the campus and available facilities will be a shelter. The players will likely have family sheltering with them. The coaches and staff, well we don't know, we can only speculate.

Brick, steel and concrete buildings on campuses are the safest places to be to ride out the storm.

I guess the other 4 games cancelled were all trap games too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Trying not to be a smart @33.

Gas is difficult to find once you're into Florida. But it's not sold out. but they also make these things, and there's plenty of gas here to fill a couple of these up to bring.

1b9b5450-1965-412f-b787-3032c04b1ad2_1.311224b906a3110563ac8ed1eaf797c7.jpeg

The hurricane is dangerous to Tampa. But the campus and available facilities will be a shelter. The players will likely have family sheltering with them. The coaches and staff, well we don't know, we can only speculate.

Brick, steel and concrete buildings on campuses are the safest places to be to ride out the storm.

I guess the other 4 games cancelled were all trap games too.

Every game cancelled in Florida makes perfect sense. And Miami cancelling their away game makes sense.

I will say one last time that USF bailed on this game for football reasons - but I do apologize to you and @formerlurker for being over the top.

I believe that schools should have the ability in situations like this to declare a special decision, book as many charters as they need and take the player's families with them on the road and pay for their lodging. It makes a lot more sense to take USF's team, staff, coaches and their families to Connecticut for 3-4 days than try to hunker down in the middle of a storm.

Reaction Score
I believe that schools should have the ability in situations like this to declare a special decision, book as many charters as they need and take the player's families with them on the road and pay for their lodging. It makes a lot more sense to take USF's team, staff, coaches and their families to Connecticut for 3-4 days than try to hunker down in the middle of a storm.
Apology accepted.

Couldn't agree more. I'd argue the conference should chip in. I wouldn't mind if UConn did too. But I think it's more logical that the governor had more say than Aresco

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Apology accepted.

Couldn't agree more. I'd argue the conference should chip in. I wouldn't mind if UConn did too. But I think it's more logical that the governor had more say than Aresco

Of course the gov makes the ultimate call.

Maybe Memphis didn't even get off the plane? Maybe they had no connectivity in the sky? Poor communication is just such a red flag.

Welcome to Orlando - now get out!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Every game cancelled in Florida makes perfect sense. And Miami cancelling their away game makes sense.

I will say one last time that USF bailed on this game for football reasons - but I do apologize to you and @formerlurker for being over the top.

It's important to respect one another and realize that when we post, we're not really communicating. I have too many miles on me and too many scars to be an internet tough guy. That s^t was fun in my 20's though!

Much love to Whaler here, whole new respect for him. He and I had a very nice private conversation and we'll get a s^t ton of likes if he lets me post it.

Reaction Score
Disappointing, but cancelling this game is the only correct option. Most, if not all of the USF coaches live where the hurricane may strike. I think it's unreasonable to ask the coaches to leave their families during a hurricane and coach a football game.

Anyone arguing that this game should played this weekend has their priorities in the wrong place.

Reaction Score
I bet if usf was told they would have to forfeit this game, they would be in ct right now at their hotel, seeing as that wasn't an option they will cancel and prepare for Illinois at home next week. What happens if this storm makes it impossible for Illinois to fly in next week, do they cancel that game? Or does usf demand a forfeit by Illinois to keep their perfect record?

Reaction Score
Hmm. Cone of uncertainty is now a bullseye for Illinois. If the storm is still powerful enough they could potentially lose power in Champaign, and USF's game with the Illinois could be cancelled. It's a Longshot but could happen. Wow

Reaction Score
Do people really think this was simply about the logistics of getting to Ct to play a game?

Yes, I'm really disappointed that there is no game. But for those looking to push some agenda or conspiracy, shame on you. You expect these kids to travel to Ct and play a game while their families deal with the strongest hurricane in recorded history.

newsflash.... 10 years from now, people aren't writing about the devestating effects from the Uconn/ USF game being cancelled.

Reaction Score
Take a deep breath, remove the hysterical emotion and explain to me when you have a charter plane ready to evacuate a hurricane , why is it safer to remain there for a category 5?
It's already beginning to weaken, not even a cat 5 anymore, check hurricane.gov. USF knows they dodged a potential bullet. Uconn is clearly the loser here with the game being cancelled.

Reaction Score
Do people really think this was simply about the logistics of getting to Ct to play a game?

Yes, I'm really disappointed that there is no game. But for those looking to push some agenda or conspiracy, shame on you. You expect these kids to travel to Ct and play a game while their families deal with the strongest hurricane in recorded history.

newsflash.... 10 years from now, people aren't writing about the devestating effects from the Uconn/ USF game being cancelled.

Maybe not in the papers, but the BY? The effects will be legendary.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Some additional food for thought:

- They don't know for sure that Tampa won't get hammered by the storm - the most recent models have trended west and now have Irma plowing directly up the middle of the state. It could even run up the west coast, in which case Tampa could end up in the same or worse situation than Miami.

- It's not just the kids. As someone else pointed out, its the coaches, plus the other associated staff/helpers/managers that move the team and its equipment from Florida to Connecticut. I'm sure someone else here can tell us the size of the non-team non-coach entourage, but it can't be small. All these folks are leaving their families behind in Tampa as well.

- If they leave they may not be able to make it back to Florida for several days... or even weeks. While it would be nice for those folks to be safe and sound in New England, they likely would rather be at or close to home where they can be with and help family and friends.

Reaction Score

- They don't know for sure that Tampa won't get hammered by the storm - the most recent models have trended west and now have Irma plowing directly up the middle of the state. It could even run up the west coast, in which case Tampa could end up in the same or worse situation than Miami.

- It's not just the kids. As someone else pointed out, its the coaches, plus the other associated staff/helpers/managers that move the team and its equipment from Florida to Connecticut. I'm sure someone else here can tell us the size of the non-team non-coach entourage, but it can't be small. All these folks are leaving their families behind in Tampa as well.

- If they leave they may not be able to make it back to Florida for several days... or even weeks. While it would be nice for those folks to be safe and sound in New England, they likely would rather be at or close to home where they can be with and help family and friends.
Then they shouldn't have a problem forfeiting

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

This is about next Friday.

USF doesnt want to be stuck in CT for 3 days with a game against the Fightin Illini on Friday.

IF next Fridays game is also cancelled as the players and teams members are busy returning to Dade and Broward counties, rebuilding, helping family and friends, and there are NO USF FOOTBALL practices Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday then you can tell me I was So Wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I understand that. But what others have pointed out is also true. If they had to forfeit, they'd be here. The reasoning is partly what you mention above, and partly that they will likely be distracted and take a critical road loss against UConn. The safest place for all those folks is in CT. The likelihood of Tampa airport being unusable after this storm is very low.

They have some folks who want to stay home with family, and they are worried about losing. So they cancelled without having to forfeit because someone gave them that ideal option. I wouldn't have. Agree to a make-up or forfeit.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You just don't have a sufficient IQ to process anything more complex than a cement block.
...says mr 11:11 kickoff being legit.

Tell me this, Einstein, what time zone is Tampa in? Maybe that will change your answer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My semi-educated guess is Governor trumps Commissioner.

Yep. Governor wants every school's building spaces and parking lots available for evacuees and for staging equipment.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Care to explain why his statement is so dumb? I don't get it either. Are there other teams from Florida that have away games that are canceling their trips or is it just USF? They cited impending evacuations. They were scheduled to evacuate and now they're scheduled to stay.

Think about it from a leadership perspective. The potential cost of flying to play the game in Connecticut is not worth the risk. At best, USF plays an away game on an altered schedule while thinking about the hurricane preparing to smash into their homes. The potential downside is almost limitless. This sucks for us, but it is the correct call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom