Cancelled. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This. The more people float the argument that players and familes are better off huddling together at some yet to be specified location the less sense it makes. They come safely to CT and family members that can safely make the trip are sheltered on campus in a safe environment with the ability to communicate with each other. This isn't 1950. The less people in harms way the better.
Their motivation is so sickly transparent and is only trumped by the fact they would use the hurricane (where everyday people not enjoying the ability to easily escape and move out of the way would love to) as the excuse. We have become a society of drama queens propelled by social media emotional knee jerk consensus thinking... essentially the decision process was the AAC would look so insensitive if they didn't agree to cancel, therefore we must. When, in reality, the safest and most logical path would be come to Connecticut and stay. Watch when they take off for Illinois early next week to avoid distractions and the argument is its better for the players to be away because there is nothing they can really do.

Reaction Score
Watch when they take off for Illinois early next week to avoid distractions and the argument is its better for the players to be away because there is nothing they can really do.

Psst...Illinois game is in Tampa (well, at least scheduled to be in Tampa).

Reaction Score
Hmmm.... there might not be suitable field conditions to play that game in Tampa. USF might have been better off playing in CT this weekend, hanging around for a few days and borrowing time at the Shenkman, then playing the game in Illinois instead of being trapped in Florida and possibly cancelling two games. What would be really irritating is USF jumping through hoops, battling inclement weather, risking safety to make a bus ride or flight to Illinois to get that game in instead of one in their own conference.

When the Governor of Florida is telling everyone to get out wouldn't it be prudent by the school to get your team, cheerleaders, marching band(already scheduled to leave), travel fans and the rest of the entourage to a far northern place you were already set to do?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mandatory evacuations in zone A Tampa just announced by the governor.

Reaction Score
I truly get everyone's explanations. But if your an athlete and the team did come to Ct to play. How could any young player focus on football when back home there is the potential for cartographic damage. Compounded by the thoughts of the well being of family members.

How could anyone focus on anything with this on their minds.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Devils advocate: football game gives them something else to focus on for a few hours. Once you're in the heat of battle that's what you're focused on. With our recent hurricanes (and everytime we know we're getting a couple feet of snow) here, nothing is worse than sitting there with dread and uncertainty as you just wait and see what the damage will be.

Reaction Score
Can't same I'm not disappointed, but I'd rather everyone get to safety than play a game

Reaction Score
Wouldn't a conference game be more important than an out of conference game? If this was florida vs Alabama and florida cancelled due to a hurricane you damn well know Alabama is getting a forfeit out of it.

C

Chief00

I think the AAC Conference should relocate its HQ office to Orlando. This episode certified it's a Micky Mouse conference.
Please don't come back at me with a FB game in FL being cancelled - that's totally a different story.

Reaction Score
If this was florida vs Alabama and florida cancelled due to a hurricane you damn well know Alabama is getting a forfeit out of it.

Florida and LSU had their game (originally) cancelled last year. They managed to work around it and reschedule the game (just like the AAC should here). A forfeit was never on the table.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Mandatory evacuations in zone A Tampa just announced by the governor.
New models have it ripping up the west coast of FLA.

Reaction Score
They should be forced to forfeit. If UCONN agreed to this I am very disappointed in our athletic department. The game was cancelled because their flight home might be grounded???? Are you kidding me??? Is USF so broke that they can't afford a few days of hotel stay in CT? And if they are how is that our fault? Every single team in the country including UCONN has players from South Florida, are they cancelling games because players are concerned about their families? Are those players traveling home to be with their families? Would our players travel home? Some of the comments here are a joke. This is a joke. I know I sound insensitive but the point I'm trying to make is this is a completely illogical decision. I didn't even understand the initial time change...why were they ever trying to fly home on the day of a hurricane???

Reaction Score
They should be forced to forfeit. If UCONN agreed to this I am very disappointed in our athletic department. The game was cancelled because their flight home might be grounded???? Are you kidding me??? Is USF so broke that they can't afford a few days of hotel stay in CT? And if they are how is that our fault? Every single team in the country including UCONN has players from South Florida, are they cancelling games because players are concerned about their families? Are those players traveling home to be with their families? Would our players travel home? Some of the comments here are a joke. This is a joke. I know I sound insensitive but the point I'm trying to make is this is a completely illogical decision. I didn't even understand the initial time change...why were they ever trying to fly home on the day of a hurricane???
To add to that, if those players are with their families and evacuating, how are they going to get enough practice in for their Friday game vs. Illinois

Reaction Score
Psst...Illinois game is in Tampa (well, at least scheduled to be in Tampa).
Hah, I too am feeling even dumber than normal and that's fairly dumb ... thought it was in Champaign-Urbana and posted same a few times. Oops!

Reaction Score
How could any young player focus on football when back home there is the potential for cartographic damage. How could anyone focus on anything with this on their minds.
Well, Irma could potentially impact maps. ;)

Reaction Score
We need to know who said what to who and when. Transparency is necessary, and soon.

First, the 10:30 change was completely absurd.....saving 90 minutes would not have made any difference to anything.....all I heard from my non-partisan college football fan friends was "WHAT???"

Under the circumstances, we should only be ok with postponement if rescheduling is guaranteed. Cancellation would only be acceptable if they could not have gotten to the site, which is not the case. Forfeit is clearly in order.

Reaction Score
I truly get everyone's explanations. But if your an athlete and the team did come to Ct to play. How could any young player focus on football when back home there is the potential for cartographic damage. Compounded by the thoughts of the well being of family members.

How could anyone focus on anything with this on their minds.
Have you met an 18-21 year old male?

C

Chief00

We need to know who said what to who and when. Transparency is necessary, and soon.

First, the 10:30 change was completely absurd.....saving 90 minutes would not have made any difference to anything.....all I heard from my non-partisan college football fan friends was "WHAT???"

Under the circumstances, we should only be ok with postponement if rescheduling is guaranteed. Cancellation would only be acceptable if they could not have gotten to the site, which is not the case. Forfeit is clearly in order.

Aresco won't have the top ranked team in his conference forfeit a game. But, I agree they should. The inmates are clearly running the asylum in the AAC. This NEVER should have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom