Cancelled. | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aresco won't have the top ranked team in his conference forfeit a game. But, I agree they should. The inmates are clearly running the asylum in the AAC. This NEVER should have happened.

There is a board game just waiting to be named after you. It's called Clueless.

Yeesh....

C

Chief00

There is a board game just waiting to be named after you. It's called Clueless.

Yeesh....

So you are waiting at the bus stop waiting for the forfeit bus to roll in - good luck!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We need to know who said what to who and when. Transparency is necessary, and soon.

First, the 10:30 change was completely absurd.....saving 90 minutes would not have made any difference to anything.....all I heard from my non-partisan college football fan friends was "WHAT???"

Under the circumstances, we should only be ok with postponement if rescheduling is guaranteed. Cancellation would only be acceptable if they could not have gotten to the site, which is not the case. Forfeit is clearly in order.

The problem is the conference powers-that-be in Providence (i.e. Aresco) are hell bent to see their supposed meal ticket to a NY6 bowl game (USF) go undefeated. Any problem or obstacle that might get in the way of their quest will be resolved in their favor. The huuricane gave them a convenient excuse to ditch one conference game on the road at a stadium where they've enjoyed little success over the years. One less game means a better chance to go unbeaten. Now they only have to win 9 more games instead of 10 to do it.

Meanwhile, their women's Olympic sports teams are flying all over the country to such faraway places as VA and TX, apparently totally unconcerned about travel, hurricanes, family members or anything else other than their games. If they can do that, somebody at USF should have to explain how it is that the football team can't do the same thing. They can't explain it, because there is no good reason. The real reason is the potential of getting stuck in CT, which messes up their practice plans for the Illinois game next week. BTW, Illinois is such a juggernaut this season they narrowly squeaked by Ball State by three points in their opener.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think playing the "being home with families card" is a bit misleading. There are players from Florida on probably every NCAA FB, NFL, MLB team and they aren't going home. I suppose you just say good for USF to be able to keep their players with family or on campus or a bomb shelter or whatever is apparently better than being in CT.

Reaction Score
If South Florida is going to decide as a University and as a team that they'd be better served staying close to home during a potentially fatal storm, fine.

Just don't tell me they're going to have time to practice on Monday and don't tell me that it's all-systems go for Illinois on Friday. After all, many of their players will supposedly have funerals to prepare for and it would be insensitive to consider playing that game under the circumstances. And you know what? If this really is so much more important than football and their leadership really does deserve to be commended for placing family ahead of sport, then they should have no trouble forfeiting the game. I just hate this thing in our society where you're a hero and a warrior despite not having to deal with any negative consequences. We're glorifying them for their sacrifice, except...they're not actually sacrificing anything.

South Florida decided to not make the trip because it was inconvenient and their framing it as something else is exploitative in the most dangerous sense of the word. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Making that accusation and being wrong would be quite the swing and a miss even for a message board poster enjoying the crutch of anonymity. But you can't fake trust and at this point I have no reason to do so. Everything we know tells us that college athletics are corrupt, and that's why I feel the way I do about this. I'm far from the biggest UConn football fan and the game being canceled actually works out well for me in some ways. I'm simply hoping people realize how the hypocrisy at play here contributes to America currently being a rudderless ship. There is a much larger conversation to be had on that front, but I'll leave you with this: this storm is probably as bad as you heard. Maybe worse. People are going to die and cities are going to be decimated. The thought that there are people greedy and narcissistic enough to wedge their weasel selves through the rubble makes me mad.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
If South Florida is going to decide as a University and as a team that they'd be better served staying close to home during a potentially fatal storm, fine.

Just don't tell me they're going to have time to practice on Monday and don't tell me that it's all-systems go for Illinois on Friday. After all, many of their players will supposedly have funerals to prepare for and it would be insensitive to consider playing that game under the circumstances. And you know what? If this really is so much more important than football and their leadership really does deserve to be commended for placing family ahead of sport, then they should have no trouble forfeiting the game. I just hate this thing in our society where you're a hero and a warrior despite not having to deal with any negative consequences. We're glorifying them for their sacrifice, except...they're not actually sacrificing anything.

South Florida decided to not make the trip because it was inconvenient and their framing it as something else is exploitative in the most dangerous sense of the word. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Making that accusation and being wrong would be quite the swing and a miss even for a message board poster enjoying the crutch of anonymity. But you can't fake trust and at this point I have no reason to do so. Everything we know tells us that college athletics are corrupt, and that's why I feel the way I do about this. I'm far from the biggest UConn football fan and the game being canceled actually works out well for me in some ways. I'm simply hoping people realize how the hypocrisy at play here contributes to America currently being a rudderless ship. There is a much larger conversation to be had on that front, but I'll leave you with this: this storm is probably as bad as you heard. Maybe worse. People are going to die and cities are going to be decimated. The thought that there are people greedy and narcissistic enough to wedge their weasel selves through the rubble makes me mad.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
You just don't have a sufficient IQ to process anything more complex than a cement block.

Nahh, your post contained absolutely zero empathy. The Tampa airport will likely be closed preventing their return, and these players have families that may be homeless by Sunday afternoon. It isnt just about these kids getting away for a few days, as you seem to think.

Reaction Score
I never post on message boards. (Been lurking for years) I have an honest question... Does the fact that the University of South Florida is public institution have anything to do with the decision? The state of Florida is allocating many resources to make sure their citizens are safe. I doubt getting a plane together for a football team so they can play a game is even on the list. I know this sounds soccer momish. However, there is a good chance the lower third of Florida is under water as of Sunday evening.

Reaction Score
I never post on message boards. (Been lurking for years) I have an honest question... Does the fact that the University of South Florida is public institution have anything to do with the decision? The state of Florida is allocating many resources to make sure their citizens are safe. I doubt getting a plane together for a football team so they can play a game is even on the list. I know this sounds soccer momish. However, there is a good chance the lower third of Florida is under water as of Sunday evening.
No. They were afraid of losing to UConn. Get with the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom