Cancelled. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All I want to hear is that others see my point as well. That there are kids on that team who live less than 20 minutes away from campus. A lot of them. Can you understand that they will now somehow take shelter with their loved ones? On campus, in a shelter, or anywhere else they may be able to look out for and protect one another?

I understand what your saying and like I said, can see merit in all the arguments that were posted here. I don't think it's a black and white issue like it was being debated here. I just know what my parents would have said while I was in school and what I would tell my kids in this situation and it would be "get out of dodge". If other people can get to USF to use the buildings as shelter all the better. I'd assume the buildings being concrete or steel structured would be far safer then neighboring residential areas.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bought through ticket galaxy, I should get a full refund, right?
That's between you and Ticket Galaxy. They probably don't have the same policy as the Athletic Dept. And certainly don't have to abide by their choices in regard to refunds.

More importantly, why would you buy through a 3rd party broker, when the game wasn't projected to be even close to selling out?

Reaction Score
That is my thought too. We should get an extra home game next year in fairness and to help make us whole financially and otherwise. Tough to build a fan base when the team no home games in September.

Reaction Score
So are you saying - if you were in Tampa - you would be traveling to Miami - to be closer to a Category 5 hurricane? Never mind most gas stations have run out of gas or soon will. But the point is the trip makes no sense.
Rather be near my family. If that doesn't make sense to you, probably need to reevaluate your priorities.

Reaction Score
Damn, at least we won't be eliminated from the CFP this week while about 20-30 teams will. Our national title hopes are still alive.

We are already eliminated - we would have to go like 19-0 before we got any consideration. Less games won't help.

(but I know that wasn't the point of the comment) :)

Reaction Score
Wouldn't most D1 football parents already have plane and hotel reservations to see their sons play in CT prior to this hurricane?

Two or three days ago, I bet most were happy to safely leave FL and go see theirs sons in play in CT.

Airplane tickets were in their name, thus can't really sell them for going rates of several thousand dollars.

Being in FL and on campus isn't going to benefit USF at all for the prep for Illinois.

USF has no indoor practice facilty... I'm sure their 3 outdoor fields will be trashed/flooded.

Charlie Strong: USF needs indoor facility, outdoor fan support

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
So this decision was made purely for the players safety and for their families to be home, huh?!

The USF Womens Golf team is still traveling to William & Mary this weekend for a golf tournament.

And the USF Womens Tennis team is still playing a Tennis match at Baylor this weekend.

So I guess they don't care about the female players' safety and families?;)

Reaction Score
Wouldn't most D1 football parents already have plane and hotel reservations to see their sons play in CT prior to this hurricane?
No. "Most" probably wouldn't.

Being in FL and on campus isn't going to benefit USF at all for the prep for Illinois.

USF has no indoor practice facilty

So that's even less evidence to suggest they cancelled this game (as 16-17 point favorites) because they were scared of UConn and/or wanted to prep for Illinois.

Most of the flooding will be on the east coast from the wind/storm surge. That doesn't mean the Tampa area won't be affected, but the university is far enough inland where it shouldn't be flooded. Unless the storm stalls and sits on FL for a couple days, like Harvey did in Houston.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So this decision was made purely for the players safety and for their families to be home, huh?!

The USF Womens Golf team is still traveling to William & Mary this weekend for a golf tournament.

And the USF Womens Tennis team is still playing a Tennis match at Baylor this weekend.

Good find. Seems contradictory to the company line.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Good find. Seems contradictory to the company line.
Good Trolling info for the USF fans stating what a great decision this is.

Makes it seem like USF doesnt really care about their womens teams families and friends....

Reaction Score
The likelihood of Tampa airport being unusable after this storm is very low.

While the storm surge is in the east, there is still the potential for flooding. And maybe you didn't realize it, but Tampa International Airport is located "on" the water.

Reaction Score
I love the Boneyard, but more and more I lurk like I'm going by a car wreck. I also feel like every time on read some of these threads I go away just a little dumber.
Then freaking leave, Jesus

Reaction Score

Is this all true? When did they fly out? Was it from Tampa? If true kinda makes the whole premise of canceling the game a farce.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Is this all true? When did they fly out? Was it from Tampa? If true kinda makes the whole premise of canceling the game a farce.

I looked on the USF athletics website. Their schedules are updated with the canceled events for this weekend (Football v UConn, they were supposed to host some volleyball tourney, etc). But those events mentioned above are still on their schedules--so I am assuming they are still going forward.

And your question about when they flew out and if it was from Tampa is irrelevant. The problem was not getting the football team up here to CT--there was never an issue with that.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's a hurricane - not the rapture but thoughts and prayers.

Dude what is your problem? Why do you go to such extraordinary lengths to prove you're right on some minute point about where the USF team is going to be staying? There's no sense in being domineering. A huge hurricane is coming and a bunch of people on this board and elsewhere have families who they're worried about. That's what's most important, and attacking everyone because you have some theory about USF is just childish

Reaction Score
Losing all the revenue from the best home game will be tough to overcome.

Reaction Score
This is about next Friday.

USF doesnt want to be stuck in CT for 3 days with a game against the Fightin Illini on Friday.

IF next Fridays game is also cancelled as the players and teams members are busy returning to Dade and Broward counties, rebuilding, helping family and friends, and there are NO USF FOOTBALL practices Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday then you can tell me I was So Wrong.

This. The more people float the argument that players and familes are better off huddling together at some yet to be specified location the less sense it makes. They come safely to CT and family members that can safely make the trip are sheltered on campus in a safe environment with the ability to communicate with each other. This isn't 1950. The less people in harms way the better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Today on the Boneyard, I learned that hurricanes are no big deal.
Well not if you have at least three cell phones...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe not in the papers, but the BY? The effects will be legendary.
Future BY Post:

"We already knew that USF was so soft that they couldn't handle a little snow, but who knew that they also melt in the rain. They really need to be playing arena football."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom