Cancelled. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
If I'm a parent and my kid has the ability to get the hell out of Florida or the Southeast in general, I am urging them to get the hell away from the storm. The highways are bumper to bumper with people trying to evacuate the state. The kids aren't driving home. If anything they'll be evacuating north like the rest of the state's residents. I'd slap the s*** out of my kid if he had a golden ticket away from the mess headed for Florida right now and burned it for mummy and daddy. Having said that, cancelling the game may be the responsible decision. It may be a lame duck excuse. I think there are merits to either side of the argument. I can't say I'm super broken up over it and I understand the decision, but the "kids need to be home with their families" argument just seems to fall completely flat.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not a parent and your first sentence brought this into a new perspective for me. I can completely see your point of view because I know that's exactly what my parents would want. I can even see logic in those who feel this was a football decision. All I want to hear is that others see my point as well. That there are kids on that team who live less than 20 minutes away from campus. A lot of them. Can you understand that they will now somehow take shelter with their loved ones? On campus, in a shelter, or anywhere else they may be able to look out for and protect one another?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I got $20 says at least 500 people show up Sat at 7am ready to start drinking and frying eggs and bacon.

Would be cool if we all showed up, partied our faces off and raised some money for recent and future hurricane victims. I'll be drinking and frying at 7 am, regardless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not going to lie, I'm not a parent and your first sentence brought this into a new perspective for me. I can completely see your point of view because I know that's exactly what my parents would want. I can even see logic in those who feel this was a football decision. All I want to hear is that others see my point as well. That there are kids on that team who live less than 20 minutes away from campus. A lot of them. Can you understand that they will now somehow take shelter with their loved ones? On campus, in a shelter, or anywhere else they may be able to look out for and protect one another?

I feel like you don't know where Tampa is on a map.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
@formerlurker

Some of us get it. I don't think some posters really understand how bad this storm could be. And what's going on in that state right now. I have friends and family. People who have stayed through half a dozen or more hurricanes but say this is the first time they are genuinely scared for their safety. The campus is going to be a shelter with potentially thousands of people displaced from their homes.

I don't get why people are making light of this storm. People are likely going to die.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I feel like you don't know where Tampa is on a map.

My parents live in Venice Beach, FL and left this morning to get to my Dad's brother in Ocala, FL. just because they wanted to be together. They are currently preparing for the worst, sheltering the animals as best as possible and stock piling the basement of the house where they will ride it out.

data=biGbhf06NVhJEKRi4DRTlJjJBPu9I1f-zoMXZZZf1nRupZabaaktz7xk-dJiMU6C-U0jMa7d5gXSAP3cWsp0L36y-y1XTbB4CoN4OYuOCJRlVmRUKpGaF6UoeRpVBRwaSbzOVMIyIfa-9KXaZc83SO_2_pnjM9uhbts,gbLGednorHQ9CxarHgbQugmuDkJoWdMrFjzLAwAptJ7ER5ZVKIdkBPJhQdN9wAA94Nqsoys6rn3ESTHSdXAnPRIcT6Thz8xywOteff1lmcrPWSSMGqiDmE7l6gLKM3YxGYH6Gxfbk9l7Lr-4bHmnhXIXIIbOjuJaaIgwYsUpnFE6Ma85QF_pDllUcB-AIRfOlyeQuNuPG-7aZuVGPVQpQieSt05QcA0yQD0LhdIEZwH0Eb1jVCt0wF0POkY2DiD_M5iXf6zkStEBCoTLgeJLTTXU9fovtajdpLhGF7bBMEJ0lfnNrs4zFcAYwdCONUqhSzrVCVO8-6BMRcFYIpBtNhENBKuy6w

I've gone out of my way to try and say I understand everyone's posts here. Do me a favor and never try and feel what I know. Any response to this you'd like to make, I ask that you PM me so we don't hijack this thread.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My parents live in Venice Beach, FL and left this morning to get to my Dad's brother in Ocala, FL. just because they wanted to be together. They are currently preparing for the worst, sheltering the animals as best as possible and stock piling the basement of the house where they will ride it out.

data=biGbhf06NVhJEKRi4DRTlJjJBPu9I1f-zoMXZZZf1nRupZabaaktz7xk-dJiMU6C-U0jMa7d5gXSAP3cWsp0L36y-y1XTbB4CoN4OYuOCJRlVmRUKpGaF6UoeRpVBRwaSbzOVMIyIfa-9KXaZc83SO_2_pnjM9uhbts,gbLGednorHQ9CxarHgbQugmuDkJoWdMrFjzLAwAptJ7ER5ZVKIdkBPJhQdN9wAA94Nqsoys6rn3ESTHSdXAnPRIcT6Thz8xywOteff1lmcrPWSSMGqiDmE7l6gLKM3YxGYH6Gxfbk9l7Lr-4bHmnhXIXIIbOjuJaaIgwYsUpnFE6Ma85QF_pDllUcB-AIRfOlyeQuNuPG-7aZuVGPVQpQieSt05QcA0yQD0LhdIEZwH0Eb1jVCt0wF0POkY2DiD_M5iXf6zkStEBCoTLgeJLTTXU9fovtajdpLhGF7bBMEJ0lfnNrs4zFcAYwdCONUqhSzrVCVO8-6BMRcFYIpBtNhENBKuy6w

I've gone out of my way to try and say I understand everyone's posts here. Do me a favor and never try and feel what I know. Any response to this you'd like to make, I ask that you PM me so we don't hijack this thread.

It's a hurricane - not the rapture but thoughts and prayers.

Reaction Score
Stop - you know that isn't how weather works.

Well it can change. It depends on if/when it turns.

But it's going to be a category three that impacts basically the entire state.

When a storm goes across the state and only impacts it partially it's manageable. This thing may run right up the middle. Worst case scenario.

This storm is going to weaken significantly yet still be a category three. Have you actually talked to anyone in Florida to understand what's going on down there? It's not just Miami. From Miami to Tallahassee everyone is preparing to be hit.

Or being told to.

Yes, we could have played the game and the team could have stayed here. But for someone who always mentions the market, its surprising that you seem to think there was enough fear of a 17.5 favorite losing that they cancelled the game. Rather than the giant wrecking ball on its way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well it can change. It depends on if/when it turns.

But it's going to be a category three that impacts basically the entire state.

When a storm goes across the state and only impacts it partially it's manageable. This thing may run right up the middle. Worst case scenario.

This storm is going to weaken significantly yet still be a category three. Have you actually talked to anyone in Florida to understand what's going on down there? It's not just Miami. From Miami to Tallahassee everyone is preparing to be hit.

Or being told to.

Yes, we could have played the game and the team could have stayed here. But for someone who always mentions the market, its surprising that you seem to think there was enough fear of a 17.5 favorite losing that they cancelled the game. Rather than the giant wrecking ball on its way.

This argument throws logic out the window.

If the storm is actually dangerous the last place you want to be is IN THE FRIGGING STORM.

Strong is sending everyone home to cuddle with their mommies. That's how this goes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No? How about this?

DJKm4vRUQAAoDDi.jpg

Do you have any kind of logical point?

No kidding it's going to go through the state.

If it's actually dangerous you are arguing for people to stay in the path by choice.

You do get that the winds are less powerful 300 miles inland (that was my point about how weather works) and when the storm
comes from the east it's less of a surge on the gulf coast.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Do you have any kind of logical point?

No kidding it's going to go through the state.

If it's actually dangerous you are arguing for people to stay in the path by choice.

You do get that the winds are less powerful 300 miles inland (that was my point about how weather works) and when the storm
comes from the east it's less of a surge on the gulf coast.

I'm going to PM you then.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No? How about this? Something tells me if this beast of a storm somehow tracks out to sea, you will come here to say "I told you so".

DJKm4vRUQAAoDDi.jpg

Your argument is: this is a dangerous storm so therefore the USF football team should put itself in danger by staying in the storm's path.

Reaction Score
This argument throws logic out the window.

If the storm is actually dangerous the last place you want to be is IN THE FRIGGING STORM.

Strong is sending everyone home to cuddle with their mommies. That's how this goes.
1) You're assuming that everyone is staying
2) You're refusing to accept that some people can't leave, and may need help from family.

You don't know the personal situation of the 150+ players, families, and staff.

if my mom was in the state and needed help, you're GD right I'd fly into the storm to help her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom