Can we all agree that Drummond was overhyped? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can we all agree that Drummond was overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If you are referring to my post, look again at the way I spelled AO's last name, maybe the lightbulb will go on in your head this time.
Honestly, I'd rather you mispelled out of ignorance than call the kid hack - I'd have less distaste for an accident than an insult.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Well, let's also look at how Coppin State played. They doubled-tripled the post whenever possible. They fouled him twice. And our guards let them get into the lane at will, causing a couple of his fouls (one was on that ill-advised inbounds play).

It's tough to play against that sort of team this early in your career.

Anthony Davis had 3 pts and 6 rbs. against Penn State on Saturday. I he a bust? No, he's a freshman. And there are other games to play and take into consideration.

If by the end of the year he is averaging 2.3 points, 1.9 rebs (like Fab Melo), then I'll call him a bust. If he averages less than 8 and 8, I'll say he was overhyped.

Reaction Score
Take off your blue and white glasses and you can't be impressed given the hype... He's the highest ranked recruit ever at UConn, people here were saying that he'd be better than Sullinger from OSU or Zeller at UNC this year, how he'd dominate the kid from KY, he's on the player of the year list, etc. That's all a joke. He's got some nice physical tools, but that's it. He has no clue how to play.

I'm glad we have him for depth but he's certainly not as advertised I know it's only been 4 games and he'll get better but he may have cost himself some serious cash being exposed at this level. I'm much more impressed with DD.
No. He is a beast and will be fine.

Reaction Score
the only freshman to ever come in to college and dominate is Kevin Durant

Durants freshman season was ridiculous. So was Mike Beasley's at K-State. But yeah Drummond will be fine, he's so physically imposing once he starts getting the ball it will come together. If I remember correctly Barnes didn't start out so hot and now look at him.

Reaction Score
Plus Barnes was basically a leader for UNC, we're not asking or looking for Drummond to do that much. Defense and Rebound. He should get some easy shots eventually.

Reaction Score
Compared to Davis, then yes he is overhyped. I for one expected more. Hopefully he is like Lamb, a slow starter.

Reaction Score
the only freshman to ever come in to college and dominate is Kevin Durant
greg oden 15ppg 9rb
micheal beasley 26ppg 12rb
carmelo anthony 22ppg 10rb
chris jackson 30ppg
waymen tisdale 24ppg 10 rb
just to name a few.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
greg oden 15ppg 9rb
micheal beasley 26ppg 12rb
carmelo anthony 22ppg 10rb
chris jackson 30ppg
waymen tisdale 24ppg 10 rb
just to name a few.
touche on melo, but if you read and look durant was the best, especially how he took over games and averaged a double double

Reaction Score
Let's see- he leads the team in OB's with 18 (a sore spot last year), he leads the team in blocks with 8. He's averaging 6 pts and 6 rebounds, playing less than 20 minutes a game. Yeah, I guess he's a bust as a freshman. Why should JC waste his time with this guy?

Reaction Score
no AD is not over hyped. hes off to a slow start but i like many believe he will come around and be a force. i know some people are saying the mask is a excuse but i disagree. its not so much the mask as it is the injury. if you saw stars and were in excrutiating pain any time you got hit in the face because of a broken nose you would definitely try to avoid contact as much as possible. add the injury and learning the game and hes going to have a tough start but im not worried because 1. his nose will heal and 2. he will learn the game under some of the best coaches in the country in the toughest conference in america. i think he`ll be fine and all the naysayers will be eating a nice big crow pie come march.

Reaction Score
touche on melo, but if you read and look durant was the best, especially how he took over games and averaged a double double
you mean how melo carried cuse to the national title? that kind of taking over? lol! im not disagreeing with you KD was incredible but he hasnt been the only dominant frosh.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about our fanbase, but at least we're fair; we will dog every single player on the roster. Shabazz, Roscoe, Alex, Andre, Niels... watch out DeAndre, Ryan, etc.

Reaction Score
just to add to my point about AD. AD im not worried about. im worried about Alex. not liking what im seeing from him at all so far. he needs to concentrate on what he does best blocking shots,rebounding and scoring off of the offensive boards. thats AO game and when hes at his best.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
you mean how melo carried cuse to the national title? that kind of taking over? lol! im not disagreeing with you KD was incredible but he hasnt been the only dominant frosh.
lol i forgot about melo but i was saying durant did more with less... both are greats... hopefully we have the next, daniels reminds me a lot of durant, length the way he runs the floor and most of all his shot

Reaction Score
lol i forgot about melo but i was saying durant did more with less... both are greats... hopefully we have the next, daniels reminds me a lot of durant, length the way he runs the floor and most of all his shot

im very excited about DD. we all know hes going to be good but i cant wait to see how good. is he going to be closer to rudy gay or caron?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Take off your blue and white glasses and you can't be impressed given the hype... He's the highest ranked recruit ever at UConn, people here were saying that he'd be better than Sullinger from OSU or Zeller at UNC this year, how he'd dominate the kid from KY, he's on the player of the year list, etc. That's all a joke. He's got some nice physical tools, but that's it. He has no clue how to play.

I'm glad we have him for depth but he's certainly not as advertised I know it's only been 4 games and he'll get better but he may have cost himself some serious cash being exposed at this level. I'm much more impressed with DD.

The bolded says it all.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about our fanbase, but at least we're fair; we will dog every single player on the roster. Shabazz, Roscoe, Alex, Andre, Niels... watch out DeAndre, Ryan, etc.
I don't know if this is being fair or just showing how spoiled/entitled we are as fans... we complain about 4 different guys when we beat a team by 17.... and oh yeah, just won our 15th game in a row... and oh yeah, have a stud back up PG 2 games from making his debut...

people just can't be happy with the bright spots and trust that JC will work out the wrinkles as the season progresses... people tend to forget we have a team primarily made up of freshmen and sophomores... our expectations are so high (rightfully so) that we will get on anyone... in a way, no one is above criticism, but in another, we are very spoiled because there's only 200 minutes. While I've argued about how many minutes certain guys will get (Roscoe), we all have to realize that we have a bunch of guys who would be playing 35 minutes on any other team in the country.... but we have loads of talent so every game you're gonna have a different set of guys who step up and have good games depending on foul trouble, matchups, hot hands, etc.

To answer the OP about drummond, yes he has been overhyped if you're looking at his production through 4 games in college, but I think we all realized it wasn't going to be an Andre Drummond 20/10 show every night... If he averages close to 10/7 or thereabouts this season with all the other weapons we have, I would say that's a productive year for the FRESHMAN... If he wanted to average 20/10 he could've gone to KState and become the reincarnation of Michael Beasley... (different player, but you get the point) if he wants to help UCONN win a 4th NC, he will do what JC asks him to and start to realize his potential throughout the season...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
just to add to my point about AD. AD im not worried about. im worried about Alex. not liking what im seeing from him at all so far. he needs to concentrate on what he does best blocking shots,rebounding and scoring off of the offensive boards. thats AO game and when hes at his best.
How can you be more worried about a guy that was a key part of a National Title team than you are about a freshman? AO played to his competition all of last year too. He played well in a lot of big spots. I won't be too concerned about how he is doing right now. And for the record I'm not concerned about AD just yet either. If he doesn't show improvement by the end of the OOC schedule then it could be a bumpy ride come Big East play, but until then I won't be concerned.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

STFU Donnie

Reaction Score
ok if you're willing to concede he's not sullinger or zeller or davis or zeller right now, thats all I'm saying. If you expected the nbr 1 recruit in th country to get 4 points and 2 rebounds vs Coppin St... and you're satisfied cause the season is not over and you know he will get better, more power to you. All I was conveying is given the unbelievable hype surrounding the kid, I expected him to be more of a presence out of the gate. He's clearly not what was advertised... at least not yet. Hopefully he's a fast learner.
The problem is with your expectations, not ours and not even the media's. Most analysts expected AD to struggle and need time to adjust. If you knew anything about AD you would have realized that he barely averaged over 20 Pts/game in HS. He was rahked high because of his potential.

So speaking for myself, NO, I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU!!! I expect him to be a force by the end of the regular season and be among the best big men in the country. If he returns for his sophomore season, he's going to hzve a monster year. Based on what he has shown he's capable of so far, albeit inconsistently, he's in no way a over hyped. He's simply not living up to your unrealistic expectations, that's all.

Oh and if your a fan, what's your point even bringing this up. You're tearing down one of our own and we're only 4 games into the season.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd rather you mispelled out of ignorance than call the kid hack - I'd have less distaste for an accident than an insult.
Yeah I guess JC insulted him too when he sat him down to start the 2nd half. He was awful today.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yeah I guess JC insulted him too when he sat him down to start the 2nd half. He was awful today.
The difference is that JC can do what he needs to do to get kids to play and he would punch you in the face for calling his player a hack.

Reaction Score
How can you be more worried about a guy that was a key part of a National Title team than you are about a freshman? AO played to his competition all of last year too. He played well in a lot of big spots. I won't be too concerned about how he is doing right now. And for the record I'm not concerned about AD just yet either. If he doesn't show improvement by the end of the OOC schedule then it could be a bumpy ride come Big East play, but until then I won't be concerned.

did you read my post or just the first line? i said i was worried about AO not that he was going to be a bust or not show up for the whole season. my worry is that he hasnt shown any improvement in his post game from last year and has really gotten away from the things he does best. im worried that he may not be a better player than he was at the end of last season and will continue to be inconsistent which he has shown in his first two seasons and so far this year. he is now one of our most important pieces and he is vital to this teams success and cannot continue to be inconsistent if this team expects to repeat.
im less worried about AD because hes a freshmen whos going to go through typical freshmen growing pains but any one can see his talent is immense and if he puts in the hard work he will be a very good player for us. that being said if he does turn out to be a "bust" i think uconn can still win the title especially with the improvement of olander and daniels breaking into the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom