Can we all agree that Drummond was overhyped? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can we all agree that Drummond was overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His worst games have been ones where he gets into foul trouble. No one should have expected him to be able to create shots for himself or hit free throws. He needs to get rebounds and wide open dunks, but he has to be in the game to do that. The foul thing will improve over time as he gets used to the tempo and feel of D1 games.

Reaction Score
The mask is such a excuse.

I think Drummond is playing just about where I expected, and he will improve greatly over the course of the season, but I'm already getting annoyed by how many people are acting as if the mask is holding the kid back.

Reaction Score
Its clear that when hes hustling, Andre is a beast. I guess there is some truth to the argument that he sometimes looks uninterested. He just needs to get into the flow of the game more and stay active. Id like to see him start so he gets engaged right away. He was all over the place last game. I didnt see him play like that until about three min to go in todays game. Obv the foul trouble hurt him. AD is still somewhat raw, but the talent is undeniable.

Reaction Score
I actually feel very comfortable that he will average a double double in his last few games. He's just too talented. He's got 3 months and lots of games to get the hang of staying on the floor. If he stays on the floor, he's getting 8 and 8 a night just with his athleticism.
I figure his desire to be better and his learning curve will get him the other 2 and 2.

Reaction Score
Season 'ain't' over. He'll be there by Feb., just needs a couple of breakout games. Team isn't in sync yet either.

C

Chief00

Take off your blue and white glasses and you can't be impressed given the hype... He's the highest ranked recruit ever at UConn, people here were saying that he'd be better than Sullinger from OSU or Zeller at UNC this year, how he'd dominate the kid from KY, he's on the player of the year list, etc. That's all a joke. He's got some nice physical tools, but that's it. He has no clue how to play.

I'm glad we have him for depth but he's certainly not as advertised I know it's only been 4 games and he'll get better but he may have cost himself some serious cash being exposed at this level. I'm much more impressed with DD.

Completely disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Reaction Score
Lol, yea I agree with this. People are making a much bigger deal about that mask than it is, its not the reason why his playing like he is or why his numbers are where they're at(which are about what I expected).

The mask is such a excuse.

I think Drummond is playing just about where I expected, and he will improve greatly over the course of the season, but I'm already getting annoyed by how many people are acting as if the mask is holding the kid back.

Reaction Score
For those of you who think I'm a troll, I'm not. I am as big a UConn fan as anyone here. For those of you saying I know nothing about JC and UConn basketball, you're wrong. I've likely been following UConn far longer than you. For those of you who said no one said he'd avg a dbl dbl or be better than Zeller or Sullinger or the kid from KY, do a search on your own threads. There were a ton of comments saying just that.

I asked if the kid was overhyped. Unless you're blind, the answer is a resounding YES. Someone on the player of the year list, a consensus top 5 recruit, a 6'10 270 lb freak athlete that struggles vs the likes of Columbia and Coppin ST is Raw beyond definition.

Do I think he'll get better... of course. Am I glad we have him... heck yea. He could be the best player in college..., someday....some day.

But my question was... can we agree he was overhyped? As a consensus nbr 1 or 2 recruit, I think that's been answered. He's no Sullinger, or Zeller now...far from it. If your answer is, judge him in Feb., you're proving my point. I'll be glad to give odds he's not a national player of the year....heck he'll probably struggle for freshman of the year on his own team.

Does that mean we don't want him... heck no. But des it mean he was overhyped,... not his fault, but ummmmm... yes. The kid has an awful LOT to learn.

Reaction Score
For those of you who think I'm a troll, I'm not. I am as big a UConn fan as anyone here. For those of you saying I know nothing about JC and UConn basketball, you're wrong. I've likely been following UConn far longer than you. For those of you who said no one said he'd avg a dbl dbl or be better than Zeller or Sullinger or the kid from KY, do a search on your own threads. There were a ton of comments saying just that.

I asked if the kid was overhyped. Unless you're blind, the answer is a resounding YES. Someone on the player of the year list, a consensus top 5 recruit, a 6'10 270 lb freak athlete that struggles vs Maine is Raw beyond definition.

Do I think he'll get better... of course. Am I glad we have him... heck yea. He could be the best player in college..., someday....some day.

But my question was... can we agree he was overhyped? As a consensus nbr 1 or 2 recruit, I think that's been answered. He's no Sullinger, or Zeller now...far from it. If your answer is, judge him in Feb., you're proving my point. I'll be glad to give odds he's not national player of the year....probably struggle for freshman of the year on his own team.

Does that mean we don't want him... heck no. Does it mean he was overhyped,... ummmmm yes. The kid has a LOT to learn.

i think some kids are rated for how well they play immediately versus some that are rated for pure talent and potential... I think Drummond follows the later, hes not a sullinger or anthony davis thats going to come in right away and get you 20 and 10 a game. I think his ceiling is higher than both of them. Its going to be fustrating to start but I think once he gets some confidence and his handles under control he'll be a force.

Orlander is far and away the best big on this team right now

Reaction Score
And our point is that you're clearly not thinking this through enough. Is the season over? No? Then how do we know he is not going to average a double double (and I'm one of those who thinks he should be close--10-12 pts, 8-10 rbs.)?

If you're not a troll, then relax and let the kid develop and play games where he doesn't get into foul trouble.

And to answer if we can agree on this. No. Because most of us see this as a development. Drummond was the #1 or 2 recruit not because of his production, but because of his skills and talent. And he clearly has both of these, so he's not a disappointment.

Reaction Score
Take off your blue and white glasses and you can't be impressed given the hype... He's the highest ranked recruit ever at UConn, people here were saying that he'd be better than Sullinger from OSU or Zeller at UNC this year, how he'd dominate the kid from KY, he's on the player of the year list, etc. That's all a joke. He's got some nice physical tools, but that's it. He has no clue how to play.

I'm glad we have him for depth but he's certainly not as advertised I know it's only been 4 games and he'll get better but he may have cost himself some serious cash being exposed at this level. I'm much more impressed with DD.
Yeah that's right, sit him down and put in Orihacki for him. You're a genius.

Reaction Score
you can tell he doesnt know what to do on offense cause he never had to do anything but catch and jam or do a move over a guy much smaller than him. He looks awkward right now on offense but i dont blame him for it, but more just realize its lack of experience.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For those of you who think I'm a troll, I'm not. I am as big a UConn fan as anyone here. For those of you saying I know nothing about JC and UConn basketball, you're wrong. I've likely been following UConn far longer than you.

No, I'm pretty sure you're just a sh1tty fan who knows nothing about UConn Basketball.

If you're ready to proclaim a kid over hyped after 4 games, that just illustrates the point.

Reaction Score
ok if you're willing to concede he's not sullinger or zeller or davis or zeller right now, thats all I'm saying. If you expected the nbr 1 recruit in th country to get 4 points and 2 rebounds vs Coppin St... and you're satisfied cause the season is not over and you know he will get better, more power to you. All I was conveying is given the unbelievable hype surrounding the kid, I expected him to be more of a presence out of the gate. He's clearly not what was advertised... at least not yet. Hopefully he's a fast learner.

Reaction Score
ok if you're willing to concede he's not sullinger or zeller or davis or zeller right now, thats all I'm saying. If you expected the nbr 1 recruit in th country to get 4 points and 2 rebounds vs Coppin St... and you're satisfied cause the season is not over and you know he will get better, more power to you. All I was conveying is given the unbelievable hype surrounding the kid, I expected him to be more of a presence out of the gate. He's clearly not what was advertised... at least not yet. Hopefully he's a fast learner.

Well, let's also look at how Coppin State played. They doubled-tripled the post whenever possible. They fouled him twice. And our guards let them get into the lane at will, causing a couple of his fouls (one was on that ill-advised inbounds play).

It's tough to play against that sort of team this early in your career.

Anthony Davis had 3 pts and 6 rbs. against Penn State on Saturday. I he a bust? No, he's a freshman. And there are other games to play and take into consideration.

If by the end of the year he is averaging 2.3 points, 1.9 rebs (like Fab Melo), then I'll call him a bust. If he averages less than 8 and 8, I'll say he was overhyped.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I totally understand when people complain about grammar and spelling police, but is it too much to ask to spell the players names correctly?
It's Olander and Oriakhi.

Reaction Score
I totally understand when people complain about grammar and spelling police, but is it too much to ask to spell the players names correctly?
It's Olander and Oriakhi.
If you are referring to my post, look again at the way I spelled AO's last name, maybe the lightbulb will go on in your head this time.

Reaction Score
can we not overreact and let the season play out Drummond isnt going to wow you with stats especially on this team its his impact that matters defensively he has been dominant his offensive game is still a work in progress it will get better as the season goes on

Reaction Score
How is he not "what was advertised"? What did you think was advertised? I saw a big, freak athlete who has a lot of potential but an unrefined game.

What were you seeing, UCONNFAN179?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
by the time big east play comes around we won't be criticizing him i feel... zeller and hanson have 3 years over drummond playing in college... you can't call someone overhyped 4 games into the season when he is playing behind 2 kids who just won a nation championship... calhoun develops his players, its much harder for a freshman center to come in and dominate than a 1,2, or 3 since they don't always have the ball in their hands and aren't facing the basketball

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the only freshman to ever come in to college and dominate is Kevin Durant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads