Can Geno teach the motion offense to KO? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Can Geno teach the motion offense to KO?

Reaction Score
I have heard that his restaurant sucks. Never been there though.

Reaction Score
Ahhhh, our first “Geno should contribute and school KO” thread of the season

Reaction Score
I have heard that his restaurant sucks. Never been there though.
I've been to his Southington restaurant a half dozen times and it doesn't suck. There are better Italian restaurants but Geno's is fine. BTW, I don't think anyone has ever seen Geno there but his son does manage the place.

Reaction Score
I've been to his Southington restaurant a half dozen times and it doesn't suck. There are better Italian restaurants but Geno's is fine. BTW, I don't think anyone has ever seen Geno there but his son does manage the place.
Geno' s in Southington closed 2 months ago. I went there a couple of times. Food and service were awful!

Reaction Score
About rankings - I used to do them when I worked for Scout. They're stupid because comparing a center to a point guard is about the dumbest thing ever. I argued for at least two rankings - guards and forwards/centers but was overruled because "people like lists". So I take rankings with a grain of salt because I know how they're put together and it's mostly guesswork.

A lot of stuff you addressed in your post to me, I never brought up. I agree it's false eqilivencies between the men's and women's game but there are some, cough mau, who never fail to take a shot at the program and it just gets old. And today was an especially crappy day, worse than most Mondays, so it just annoyed me to the point I said something.

And - Geno has coached guys, his son's 17U AAU team, the CT Nike Elite with Edmund Saunders and Aaron Hernandez. They finished 7th nationally, IIRC.
The two games are practically different sports. I don't know why fans have the need to make comparisons and can't appreciate the games for what they are. Both programs have brought banners to the university.

Reaction Score
Geno' s in Southington closed 2 months ago. I went there a couple of times. Food and service were awful!
Didn't know that it closed. I always had good (not great) meals there but you are right the service was disappointing.

Reaction Score
Wow do us all a damn favor and talk about this over there. Who cares. Here you go, if the women played our men right now they could beat them! Is that good, go over there and share that and then stay there too.

Stop crying... you stated Notre Dame didn’t have some key players in the game, but neither did we. We won. What’s your issue?

Reaction Score
But Gilbert and Cobb being on the bench and Vital and Jalen playing injured shouldn't have effected the men's team at all.

I see.

Who is Cobb? In or out, doesn’t change much. Jalen healthy or injured your going to get the same players. Inconsistent. Vital injured? When? He’s also inconsistent. Gilbert? Still needs some experience, dribbles the ball too much and turns it over too often. Regardless of what, coaching has to step up.

Reaction Score
Who is Cobb? In or out, doesn’t change much. Jalen healthy or injured your going to get the same players. Inconsistent. Vital injured? When? He’s also inconsistent. Gilbert? Still needs some experience, dribbles the ball too much and turns it over too often. Regardless of what, coaching has to step up.

Thank you for your interest in UConn men's basketball.

Reaction Score
Fragile masculinity at its finest here.

Yes, Men’s and Women’s basketball are played at different speeds and athleticism..but if Geno’s Xs and Os are good enough for D’Antonie and Roy Moore (among others) they aren’t above Uconn Men’s basketball either.

However, you have to have the pieces to run Geno’s sets. Heck, Geno doesn’t always have those pieces. (And he adjusts) we do not have the pieces or the team chemistry to run his stuff.

Btw, our offense looked a lot better last game. It looks better with JA running things and and Vital and Anderson on the court (shooters). Our defense was our bigger issue.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
So, before I take a bunch of flak for this, just know I'm actually not a huge UCWBB fan. I love all things UConn, but MBB is head and shoulders above the rest. And this is all speculative based on KO leaving.

Would Geno ever consider making the move to men's basketball? Honestly, what else does the guy have left to accomplish in the women's game? He's untouchable in wins, championships, you name it. Why not try the men's game and see how your coaching translates?

Can Geno coach? That's obvious... I don't see that changing all that much in the men's game.

Could Geno recruit for mbb? I think he'd get his fair share of recruits once he proved himself. He's got a winning pedigree and demands excellence. He's got a bit of a cockiness too which I think would do him well on the trail.

We know he can do all those other things that come with managing a big time program, etc.

I have no idea if Geno would even want to try his hand in the men's game... but if he does, there'd be no better time than now. Daily could slide right into HC of WBB with Ralph becoming assistant.

Geno has already cemented himself with the all-time greats. If he failed in the men's game, I don't think it would tarnish his legacy. But if he succeeds, he'd really elevate himself even more for his coaching diversity. He has everything to gain and really not much to lose.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
If it was ten years ago I’d be more likely to say yes. He’s gotta be over 60, no? No doubt he’s a hell of a coach, but so much of the job is the network you build over time on the trail. It would be a big adjustment at his age.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I know posters get ripped here for suggesting it... but I'd like a serious discussion on why he wouldn't be a good/bad fit or why his coaching would/wouldn't translate.

Reaction Score
because if it doesn't work out, geno will get ripped apart.

Reaction Score
I know posters get ripped here for suggesting it... but I'd like a serious discussion on why he wouldn't be a good/bad fit or why his coaching would/wouldn't translate.

Men are fully capable of playing the way the women’s teams play. Golden state plays that way. Plenty of men’s coaches have asked Geno for offensive help.

However, the men’s team has never recruited players that fit Geno’s style of play. Uconn (me ) has always preferences athleticism. Geno needs shooters and passers. There are teams in the past that could have run Geno’s system (our last championship team, our final four team), but this one definitely couldn’t. It just doesn’t have the skills needed.

Jim

Reaction Score
I agree that this isn't about coaching X's and O's. People say Geno gets all the best players. That's not quite true. Geno gets the most talented players that are also willing to put the team first, instead of personal accomplishments. Geno recruits McDonald's AA's that are willing to defend, rebound, set screens for 40 minutes while knowing they will never see the rock until their junior year except on a rebound or steal. In Div 1 men's basketball, no such animal exists. Geno coaches a different game. Take pride in the women's team success, and accept that it doesn't translate to the men's side.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No doubt in my mind that if Geno could get buy-in, he would be successful. Easier said than done, I know.

Reaction Score
The two games are practically different sports. .

I never understood this belief. I think its the exact same sport just played by women and everything Geno teaches would be 100% transferable to the men's game. In fact the increased passing in today's men's game makes me think some men's coaches went to school on what Geno was doing. Geno was ahead of the curve.

Nobody says women's tennis, golf, or hockey are different sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom