Can Geno teach the motion offense to KO? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can Geno teach the motion offense to KO?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You really don't think he could coach the men? The guy simply understands the game, and constantly adjusts to his personnel and other team. The level of effort and crispness of execution is a reflection of coaching. It has nothing to do with the fact that his opponents are women, because his players are also women. And for those who think he gets all the top recruits, he doesn't. Lands the #1 player occasionally, like next year. He doesn't beat teams that are awful compared to his, he plays the best teams every year. I admit the competition drops off outside the top 15 or so, unlike in the men's game.

There is no proof, and there won't be any. Just as there is no proof that Gregg Popovich would be better than Ollie at coaching men's college basketball. But he would be.

But it's all speculation. None of it matters. I just hate Kevin Ollie's offense. It sucks.
To quote the great Jim Calhoun on Centerstage "I'd like to see it."

I seriously would. It very much doubt it would look like the women's team offense. I also doubt that he'd be in the final four every year. But he has a great basketball mind. He'd figure out an approach.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What makes the Geno haters think he would just take the same offense and just plop it into the men's game? Of course he wouldn't. But he would get these bunch of guys running better O than they do now.

Reaction Score
He would take what he does now and find a version that works for the men, that I am sure. I still think there is a mutual possibilty to learn from each other.

Reaction Score
Geno is a great women's coach
The games are different, the kid's thought process and ego's are different, the speed and physicality is different and knowing how to motivate is different.
Could Geno coach mens bball ? Most likely. Would he be successful? Vastly unknown. And the same holds true for KO.
It's not going to happen here at UConn so forget about it.
Geno and KO have a great working relationship so I am positive they talk on a regular basis.

BTW - give KO the top 4 or 5 player in the country year after year and nobody would be posting here

Your BTW is pretty funny. No one is really "giving" Geno the top 4 or 5 player in the country, he's going out and getting them himself. I don't doubt that Geno's offensive sets look great because he's got tremendous talent, but of course no one would be posting here if KO were a good enough recruiter to bring in those types of classes.

Reaction Score
No, same planet and same gym, only difference is the women played to a SRO crowd yesterday, a ton of national writers and reporters, and the men on Saturday were a circus clown sideshow that they should have won easily by 20 points. Geno could give KO pointers on how to sell tickets which goes hand in hand with coaching and motion offense pointers.

Congrats. You just said the dumbest thing in the dumbest thread on the board.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Seeing as Geno is donating his salary maybe this is the way we can afford to get a top coach to replace KO.

Reaction Score
Congrats. You just said the dumbest thing in the dumbest thread on the board.
You can cut out the apologist bull...sh...it. Dumbest thing was your personal attack on my post.

Reaction Score
You can cut out the apologist bull...sh...it. Dumbest thing was your personal attack on my post.

Sure. Kevin Ollie doesn't know how to run or coach a motion offense with backdoor cuts. And, he could make the men's program get back on track by reading huskyrob's advice and giving Geno a call. Why didn't anyone think of that sooner?! And it would sell more tickets too? You don't say! Tell us more!

Reaction Score
Sure. Kevin Ollie doesn't know how to run or coach a motion offense with backdoor cuts. And, he could make the men's program get back on track by reading huskyrob's advice and giving Geno a call. Why didn't anyone think of that sooner?! And it would sell more tickets too? You don't say! Tell us more!
He doesn't and he can't recruit either. Zero assists, zero passes, one on one hot dogging school yard basketball, treating JA like one of his golfing buddies. Yeah sure, teaching a motion offense would be a piece of cake for him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Timing of this post is perfect. The women just played a game in which their motion offense was probably one of the worst it's been in two years and the men had a game in which the motion offense was near it's best in two years.

Patently untrue that KO and Geno do not discuss basketball.

Put me on the side of @mauconnfan and in opposition of @HuskyHawk, @Greathusky and others in this thread with similar opinions.

I've watched every women's game. You have a starting five plus Azura Stevens plus Megan Walker who play beautiful basketball. That's it. Go to the next five players, players that are not top twenty recruits but have decent ranking numbers and are on par with most other women's teams not in the top ten, and watch what happens when they play. They easily give back fifteen to twenty points of the lead every game. I'm a big Geno fan. One of the best coaches in sports imo. But he needs quality players to win. He has limitations.

@UConnJim has some credible analysis in this thread. I don't agree with everyone of his points but the lack of likes he received for it demonstrates that, like most things in life, we are emotionally and not intellectually guided.

Reaction Score
Against the #3 team that had three players go down with ACLs. Imagine if they had been full strength? The team had huge scoring droughts and couldn't stop ND. Really, with a team full of All Americans and two # 1 high school player in the country that game should not have been in doubt until the final moments.

I think we should be looking at top mid majors coaches to see who ready for the jump. He's just not the same guy anymore.

KLS wasn’t 100% and Gabby Williams didn’t play most of the game, so yeah it’s a part of the game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
LOL! And what, pray tell, is Ollie trying to teach?

give it a break already

PS: "LOL, and what, pray tell, do you think you know" :confused:

Feels like some senile old guy is stalking me because I dare to be optimistic

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
KLS wasn’t 100% and Gabby Williams didn’t play most of the game, so yeah it’s a part of the game.
But Gilbert and Cobb being on the bench and Vital and Jalen playing injured shouldn't have effected the men's team at all.

I see.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
But Gilbert and Cobb being on the bench and Vital and Jalen playing injured shouldn't have effected the men's team at all.

I see.

Cobb when healthy won’t be a savior but we will get some important minutes out of him.

That outlet pass on Saturday was UConn basketball of yesteryear

Reaction Score
Your BTW is pretty funny. No one is really "giving" Geno the top 4 or 5 player in the country, he's going out and getting them himself. I don't doubt that Geno's offensive sets look great because he's got tremendous talent, but of course no one would be posting here if KO were a good enough recruiter to bring in those types of classes.

Wow you aren't very happy. If KO was recruiting against only 2-3 other teams he would bring in those classes, he's not. Get those I hate KO glasses off and say something sensible for once because this is one of many posts I've read by you that are just lame as hell. And you questioned AW's post on "fans"? Your hatred of one man proves you to be the furthest thing from one.

Reaction Score

Wow do us all a damn favor and talk about this over there. Who cares. Here you go, if the women played our men right now they could beat them! Is that good, go over there and share that and then stay there too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is also my feeling on Cobb

And mine too, he knows how to play. And that pass was so damn refreshing, noticeable to those of us who miss that part of the game. Carlton can do that also and Diarra did it too. So much better than watching hand offs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why is it every time someone mentions Geno over here, a couple guys feel the need to sneer at the women's game and put the team's success down to talent alone? There have been numerous games the women have won on effort alone and last night is oprobably one of them. They outwork the other team or they don't play. See below.

@August_West UConn vs ND players with high school rankings

UConn
#3 Crystal Dangerfield
#33 Kia Nurse
#1. Katie Lou Samuelson
#14 Gabby Williams
#6. Napheesa Collier

#23 Azura Stevens
#1 Megan Walker (freshman)

ND
#10 Arike Ogunbowale
#11 Jackie Young
#3 Jessica Shepard
#24 Marina Mabrey
#21 Kathryn Westbeld

UR Lili Thompson (graduate student transfer from Stanford, Naismith & Wooden nominee in her senior year)
#39 Kristina Nelson

Muffet McGraw is the second best coach in wbb; She learned from the same coach Geno did (all are from Philly). If it weren't for Geno, Muffet would have a handful of national championships.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Why is it every time someone mentions Geno over here, a couple guys feel the need to sneer at the women's game and put the team's success down to talent alone? There have been numerous games the women have won on effort alone and last night is oprobably one of them. They outwork the other team or they don't play. See below.

@August_West UConn vs ND players with high school rankings

UConn
#2 Crystal Dangerfield
#33 Kia Nurse
#1. Katie Lou Samuelson
#14 Gabby Williams
#6. Napheesa Collier

#23 Acura Stevens
#1 Megan Walker (freshman)

ND
#10 Arike Ogunbowale
#11 Jackie Young
#3 Jessica Shepard
#24 Marina Mabrey
#21 Kathryn Westbeld

UR Lili Thompson (graduate student transfer from Stanford, Naismith & Wooden nominee in her senior year)
#39 Kristina Nelson

Muffet McGraw is the second best coach in wbb; She learned from the same coach Geno did (all are from Philly). If it weren't for Geno, Muffet would have a handful of national championships.

1,2,6 ( combined 8 )
Vs
3,10,11 ( combined 24)

That’s about as close as you’ll get in the women’s game and it’s still UConn advantage

And I never bash Geno. Ever. Even praised him in the same post you are referencing. He is the one who is wholly responsible for making it so he has the pick of the litter.he did that himself. But he does have the pick of the litter. He is an incredible Coach.

What I don’t abide is women’s/men’s equvalecies and the people who make them. It’s an entirely different game. And not only does it do a disservice to the men, but it doesn’t help the women in its own way either.
And it is always when the men are coming off a bad game. It’s a shallow and basketball ignorant way of addressing our issues at a time when hackles are raised anyway.

Geno has every opportunity to be judged as a men’s coach. I’d like to see it. ( except for the fact you’d be taking the greatest women’s coach of all time from our school) . I think he could be successful. But until then ...........

Edit to add. Put 5 of the top 20 players on the same team with coach K or Izzo for 4 years together ( and then supplement with the following years #1’s ) and they would also look like the Harlem globetrotters. That’s not a knock on Geno or those great coaches. It’s just reality.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1,2,6 ( combined 8 )
Vs
3,10,11 ( combined 24)

That’s about as close as you’ll get in the women’s game and it’s still UConn advantage

And I never bash Geno. Ever. Even praised him in the same post you are referencing. He is the one who is wholly responsible for making it so he has the pick of the litter.he did that himself. But he does have the pick of the litter. He is an incredible Coach.

What I don’t abide is women’s/men’s equvalecies and the people who make them. It’s an entirely different game. And not only does it do a disservice to the men, but it doesn’t help the women in its own way either.
And it is always when the men are coming off a bad game. It’s a shallow and basketball ignorant way of addressing our issues at a time when hackles are raised anyway.

Geno has every opportunity to be judged as a men’s coach. I’d like to see it. ( except for the fact you’d be taking the greatest women’s coach of all time from our school) . I think he could be successful. But until then ......

Edit to add. Put 5 of the top 20 players on the same team with coach K or Izzo for 4 years together ( and then supplement with the following years #1’s ) and they would also look like the Harlem globetrotters. That’s not a knock on Geno or those great coaches. It’s just reality.
About rankings - I used to do them when I worked for Scout. They're stupid because comparing a center to a point guard is about the dumbest thing ever. I argued for at least two rankings - guards and forwards/centers but was overruled because "people like lists". So I take rankings with a grain of salt because I know how they're put together and it's mostly guesswork.

A lot of stuff you addressed in your post to me, I never brought up. I agree it's false eqilivencies between the men's and women's game but there are some, cough mau, who never fail to take a shot at the program and it just gets old. And today was an especially crappy day, worse than most Mondays, so it just annoyed me to the point I said something.

And - Geno has coached guys, his son's 17U AAU team, the CT Nike Elite with Edmund Saunders and Aaron Hernandez. They finished 7th nationally, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Deepster can be cantankerous, but in fairness to Deep, it was the dumbest post in the thread.
Only thing dumb is you, Dweebster, fleuds, and the rest being in denial on how much one of the greatest men's basketball programs in history has disintegrated into a clown show in only two years, though there were signs even before that. I think you and the rest of the defend Ollie to the death crowd have a really tough time accepting that a girl's basketball coach just by way of having a nack at winning and recruiting has made the men's program look ridiculous in comparison.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom