Can Geno teach the motion offense to KO? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Can Geno teach the motion offense to KO?

Reaction Score
I know posters get ripped here for suggesting it... but I'd like a serious discussion on why he wouldn't be a good/bad fit or why his coaching would/wouldn't translate.

That offense works because the defenders aren’t athletic enough to stop it. They’re not quick enough to recover and get back in position. They don’t jump well enough to block shots or divert shots at the rim. That offense works for women and for old white guys playing pickup at the Y. If it would be effective, men’s teams would run it.

Reaction Score
What Geno excels at is setting expectations, recruiting tough players, getting his team to live up to them, while developing players over the course of their career. These are all things KO gas failed miserably at.

That said, this would be a ludicrous idea.

Reaction Score
That offense works because the defenders aren’t athletic enough to stop it. They’re not quick enough to recover and get back in position. They don’t jump well enough to block shots or divert shots at the rim. That offense works for women and for old white guys playing pickup at the Y. If it would be effective, men’s teams would run it.

Dumb and stupid.

Reaction Score
But that is the point.

We are more talented and skilled compared to Monmouth and Columbia yet our stagnant offense negates that advantage.
My last sentence about "playing like girls" was sarcasm but I feel that Geno's offensive flows and sets would work well with the men.

Disclaimer: I have seen threads about the women beating the men which is nonsense but have not seen this topic discussed lately.
Do you really think that a 13 year NBA veteran isn't familiar with a motion offense?

Reaction Score
This is just wrong. This argument always has been. Have you watched the Spurs? How about the Lakers or Bulls under Jackson?

Your argument would be valid if we were saying that our women's team could execute their offense against a men's college team. But the athletic male defenders, in the men's game, are defending equally athletic offensive players. Therefore, your argument is invalid. Good basketball is good basketball. Do it right and it is good.

Reaction Score
Dumb and stupid.

Try Spot on. This is just ridiculous stuff if anyone believes that O can work for the men. Revisions of it for the men’s game maybe but it only works to perfection when they play crappy teams which is most of the time. It’s a great offense in the women’s game and he’s way ahead of his competition I congratulate him for that.

It ends there

Reaction Score
The fact that people still think that the actual offense we run is the problem blows me away.

There are a few variations, but for the most part any basketball team ever has run pretty much the same thing. There is going to be cutting and screening and then if the players are good that will work and if they’re
not it won’t.

Recruiting and making those players good are the two most important aspects of the job. X’s and o’s is very inconsequential comparatively.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So far the argument against me has been:

Bulls with Jordan
Lakers with Kobe and prime Shaq
Warriors with Kevin Durant and the greatest shooter in history

Not sure it had much to do with that “triangle” offense.

No, the argument against you is that you are dead wrong and too stubborn to admit it.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is priceless.

You realize that the positionless nova scheme is actually the scheme Ollie wants to run in a perfect world.

So you just argued against yourself.

Yeah it’s almost the exact same offense, Wright is just way better (than everyone) at teaching it right now. But I would like to get his reaction if we advised him to watch some tape on Geno’s offense.

Reaction Score
This is priceless.

You realize that the positionless nova scheme is actually the scheme Ollie wants to run in a perfect world.

So you just argued against yourself.

Are you not reading this thread? I love the motion offense, Deepster says it only works against old white men.

and BTW Ollie has never run an offense anything close to what Jay Wright runs. For God sakes UCONN had a game earlier this year where they didn't get their first assist until late in the second half. KO might talk about it, but talk is cheap.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Are you not reading this thread? I love the motion offense, Deepster says it only works against old white men.

and BTW Ollie has never run an offense anything close to what Jay Wright runs. For God sakes UCONN had a game earlier this year where they didn't get their first assist until late in the second half. KO might talk about it, but talk is cheap.

Yeah to get an assist you actually have to make a shot ( from the outside) or catch the ball as an inside cutter.

Since we are able to do neither, you will not see assists hence my perfect world qualifier

Reaction Score
And I’m wrong.....because you say so?
No. Nor are you right because YOU say so. BTW, the Spurs say hi. You forgot them. Oh, and that geeky guy in Boston is doing well.

But, as one person said, the exact offense is not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the recruiting and coaching.

Reaction Score
There are probably many offensive variations that are possible when you have players that can make shots, pass and handle the ball. Geno could win in a variety of schemes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of all the things that Geno does well as a coach, this is #1 and his ability to cover up flaws/weaknesses is #2.

"Our approach has always been, what does this team need for us to be really really good?" Auriemma said. "Even if what we did last year was great. We have a different team this year, how do we add some stuff or tweak some stuff to change our team for the better? We've kind of always done that. We've always managed to not be so locked into one thing that we're going to do that regardless of who we have. That's never been our philosophy. Sometimes it's just a minor thing. Sometimes it's a bigger thing. But we're always looking."

UConn Basketball 2016-17: Geno Auriemma Studies, Absorbs It All, Then Tailors Ideas To Fit Personnel

Reaction Score
Of all the things that Geno does well as a coach, this is #1 and his ability to cover up flaws/weaknesses is #2.

"Our approach has always been, what does this team need for us to be really really good?" Auriemma said. "Even if what we did last year was great. We have a different team this year, how do we add some stuff or tweak some stuff to change our team for the better? We've kind of always done that. We've always managed to not be so locked into one thing that we're going to do that regardless of who we have. That's never been our philosophy. Sometimes it's just a minor thing. Sometimes it's a bigger thing. But we're always looking."

UConn Basketball 2016-17: Geno Auriemma Studies, Absorbs It All, Then Tailors Ideas To Fit Personnel
Wow, tailoring ideas to fit personnel, what a revolutionary concept.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The fact that people still think that the actual offense we run is the problem blows me away.

There are a few variations, but for the most part any basketball team ever has run pretty much the same thing. There is going to be cutting and screening and then if the players are good that will work and if they’re
not it won’t.

Recruiting and making those players good are the two most important aspects of the job. X’s and o’s is very inconsequential comparatively.
There has been zero cutting in UConn's offense this year. The majority of the offense goes like this--- a three man dribbling weave at the three point line then a big will come from the lane to the top of key and set a ball screen, the driver will NOT do any of the following three things, drive to the hole, shoot, or pass to the rolling big. Then they will go into the secondary O which involves perimeter passing then either long shots or an attempt to drive to the hoop. The offense involves no cutting, no ball reversal without dribbling first and no screening away from the ball. Better players obviously help but if you want to watch a coach who runs some good stuff but doesn't always have the best players I nominate John Bielein.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Who Bielein or Ollie or Geno

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member