Can anyone muster up one positive takeaway? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Can anyone muster up one positive takeaway?

Reaction Score
If they don’t beat the Holy Cross handily, I think I’m done.
You should brace yourself for a lower scoring version of the last Rhode Island game. Reset your expectation to that and then be pleasantly surprised if UConn wins easily. And note that it could end up the other way. That is not unthinkable at this point.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Self-awareness and restraint were the big winners yesterday.

I was pretty stoked for the game so about 30 minutes before kickoff I made a nice big Tito's and lemonade in a Yeti style tumbler (I would never buy a Yeti but it's that style). Tasted great, so about midway through the first quarter I made a second one. About the same time I finished the second drink the wheels had fallen off and it was game over. I made the wise decision to stop the vodka and switch over to some macro brand ultra light beer. Wise decision. Sipped a couple of them during the second half, took a nice nap after the game and by 5 pm, I felt great.

So, there's that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You are trolling, right? Recruiting is much better now. Our incoming class is actually “good”. The recruits like the Indy deal with some big names on the schedule and the CBS deal putting every game on national tv.

Edsall needs to get his head out of the sand, start Krajewski and hire a genuine OC and let him do his job. Randy Edsall should be a recruiter, evaluator and manager. Game planning has passed him by but I love his eye for athleticism and talent. (Except at QB, where he continually picks the wrong one)

100% this!!!

Nothing against Zergiotis, except for the fact that he is clearly the second best QB on our team. I kind of had a heart-sinking feeling when I saw him start.

And Fresno might be a good team, but to perform historically bad on offense against them after having had 2 years to prepare a gameplan... unbelievable...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
poor McFadden. Comes here to kick FG's, has to take over punting because the other guy sucks, and the offense can't even get within the 40 to run him out there.
Was thinking the same thing. Kids a 4 ⭐️ kicking recruit all-American w/ offers from you name it U, and comes here to play immediately doesn’t attempt even 1 kick except warm ups his first collegiate game. And has to take over punting too.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Punting. Defense in 1st quarter before they got gassed, even the secondary which is young. Offensively idk, receivers ran good routes to gain open space. Then we couldn’t throw the ball to hit the broad side of a barn.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
One would require a very fine sieve to find anything positive to take away from yesterday. "Flashes of competence," is not a qualifier in my book. The D looking respectable for 20 minutes is not a positive when the game is 60 minutes long and you give up 45 and the scrubs were put in early. For the last two seasons opponents scored at will be throwing 10-15 routes. It took Fresno 20 minutes to figure that out. I chalk that up to the Fresno staff wanting to stick to a script for the 1st Quarter. Nothing has really changed on D. The line looked a bit better but with so many holes, it doesn't really matter.

The offense might be the worst in FBS history. 35 yds rushing and 72 yds passing isn't offense, it's a rounding error. Beating Holy Cross and Yale isn't what we signed up for, assuming we do. Same goes for Army, Wyoming, and UMass. These are gimmies for any legitimate program, even one that can be considered rebuilding. The clock is officially ticking on RE 2.0. Win 4 of the above 5 if you want to shut everyone up. Anything less is a failure because yesterday was a festival of ineptness.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You should brace yourself for a lower scoring version of the last Rhode Island game. Reset your expectation to that and then be pleasantly surprised if UConn wins easily. And note that it could end up the other way. That is not unthinkable at this point.
Post ass whipping hangover. My mind will be right by the next game.

Reaction Score
O-Line was poor (apparently they didn't really intend to start Walker at C, who was the guy responsible for the first sack). Zergiotis can not be the QB going forward, he simply can't complete anything outside of 5-10 yards on a crossing route. Without the ability to threaten teams outside or deep, there will never be a running game and no running game, means that an offense lead by Edsall and Giufre is lost.

The defense looked good for about a quarter and a half. Then they faced some adversity with the first big play and they all seemed to pack it in. Whether it was the heat, whether it was a feeling of "here we go again" for a group of guys who've never managed to come back, or whether it was poor talent/schemes it wasn't good from that point on. My own feeling with the defense was that it was more mental coupled with the heat.

I think there are some building blocks and the defense could be competent; but without the ability to score (particularly against what was one of the worst G4 defenses a year ago) it won't matter. My hopes were modest and for a quarter/quarter and a half I felt ok (I wanted to see a competitive(ish) game that gave me a reason to want to be watching into the second half, instead my biggest hope coming out of halftime was that we'd see a QB change while there was a chance to evaluate Krajewski against Fresno's 1st team for more of an apples to apples comparison).

CL82

Reaction Score
Beating Holy Cross and Yale isn't what we signed up for, assuming we do. Same goes for Army, Wyoming, and UMass. These are gimmies for any legitimate program, even one that can be considered rebuilding.
Based on yesterday’s game, do you believe we are a 5 win team? I would take that, gratefully. It’s not my goal for the program, but it means that we are playing at least vaguely competent football. Of course it also means that Randy’s here at least one more season.

Reaction Score
I’m sticking to it watch Dan Os commentating Steven Krajewski high school tape. The balls he throws as a high schooler is ridiculous. Also against teams that have multiple secondary players that went to P5 schools. He was lashlees guy and Zerg is res. He strikes me as the type that will pick personal feelings over talent. The proof is in the pudding

CL82

Reaction Score
FWIW, The Boneyard still has not changed its mind on this issue:

CF386DF4-2401-4A79-88FC-B4ADBD6A1444.jpeg

Reaction Score
Even on short throws he's not putting the ball where it needs to be to keep the receivers' momentum going.
Agree 100%, attended the open practice and both QBs were completing short, med and long passes but not under this kind of pressure.
The staff has to find a way to simulate that even if it means having a O lineman fall down each play. ;) The D pressure was not in the thought process, he also did not shake off the faux fumble or the coaches failed to talk to him. You could easily tell on the next two terrible plays it was still in his head.
The solution is clean house.
In essence what you suggest would shut down the program. We are on what one might call strike 3. I don't see many even the hardcore hanging in another 5 years or more for strike 4.
Dave will hang with Randy as long as he possibly can, he was his first big move on coming here and will give it every possible chance to work. He also knows football and realizes Randy was handed a pail of shat not once but twice. First a bare cupboard and then a period of trying to recruit with out being able to tell recruits who they might be playing.

Reaction Score
Finally saw the vid of the first FS pick 6. I agree with the refs. The pass rusher had his hand on the ball before the arm started forward. Or at least it was close enough that the call on the field could not be overturned.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Finally saw the vid of the first FS pick 6. I agree with the refs. The pass rusher had his hand on the ball before the arm started forward. Or at least it was close enough that the call on the field could not be overturned.

The problem with these kinds of calls is that the refs are basically taught now to not blow the whistle, and let it go to replay. It's all well and good, until you bring in the "clear evidence" to overturn piece - you basically decide on the field, every time, that it's a fumble.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The defense was ok at the start, until we let their D score on that fumble. Then it all went to hell. Even down 14-0 we were dominating time of possession.

The offense is boring and didn't fool anyone, and Jack Zergiotis didn't execute it well. Somebody else mentioned this, but if your passing game is short range you need to get the ball to guys in positions where you can get some yards after the catch. He didn't do that at all. I'm ready to switch.

No idea who the idiot is that said it's not Edsall, it's going Indy, but there are FCS teams out there that would light us up. I'm tired of the excuses for why UConn should be worse than many FCS programs. We nearly matched time of possession and lost 45-0. That is on Edsall, he thinks it's how you win. We need big plays, and a D that can stop big plays.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Based on yesterday’s game, do you believe we are a 5 win team? I would take that, gratefully. It’s not my goal for the program, but it means that we are playing at least vaguely competent football. Of course it also means that Randy’s here at least one more season.

I'm saying any reasonable person would look at this schedule and say they have scheduled themselves 5 easy wins and 3 likely wins.

Given the state of our program, we aren't contemplating the 3 and bargaining with ourselves that a portion of the 5 wouldn't be so bad.

This team needs to play better than they did Saturday or the entire program is pointless. Just win those 5 games, however ugly and they can claim progress.

We've reached that point, because absent a huge recruiting uptick, next years squad is as good as Edsall can expect to have. Which means this years team has to show some life.

As of Saturday, they are still flatlined.

Reaction Score
I'm saying any reasonable person would look at this schedule and say they have scheduled themselves 5 easy wins and 3 likely wins.

Given the state of our program, we aren't contemplating the 3 and bargaining with ourselves that a portion of the 5 wouldn't be so bad.

This team needs to play better than they did Saturday or the entire program is pointless. Just win those 5 games, however ugly and they can claim progress.

We've reached that point, because absent a huge recruiting uptick, next years squad is as good as Edsall can expect to have. Which means this years team has to show some life.

As of Saturday, they are still flatlined.

We’re probably going to win 3 games. And the season will be touted as a success. Edsall isn’t going anywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom