Can anyone muster up one positive takeaway? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Can anyone muster up one positive takeaway?

Reaction Score
I'm saying any reasonable person would look at this schedule and say they have scheduled themselves 5 easy wins and 3 likely wins.

Given the state of our program, we aren't contemplating the 3 and bargaining with ourselves that a portion of the 5 wouldn't be so bad.

This team needs to play better than they did Saturday or the entire program is pointless. Just win those 5 games, however ugly and they can claim progress.

We've reached that point, because absent a huge recruiting uptick, next years squad is as good as Edsall can expect to have. Which means this years team has to show some life.

As of Saturday, they are still flatlined.

I’m struggling to figure out who the 5 are. Army and Wyoming could turn us inside out.

Reaction Score
I think many are not realizing how much the heat likely impacted their play....yes they both played in it but Fresno is likely more used to it living there and practicing in it all summer.....I and many of you get irritated walking around when it’s 95...never mind playing football when it is 120.....I just think it stinks that they played in 120 degrees...the game should have been at night....how can you function in 120 degrees playing football.....surprised there were no players that had serious health issues in that heat

Ok some positives....

Punting game averaged 40 yards/punt
Only 40 yards in penalties
Defensive played pretty well early....remember they were minus their starting defensive ends which affected their ability to get pressure on QB
Traveled cross country playing their first game in 2 years playing in ridiculous heat..
Missing one starting lineman

Given the conditions, Treating this like an exhibition as should most of us should.
Lets reevaluate after they have a home game in 70 degree weather and have had a chance to review the film from their “exhibition game”

Reaction Score
I think many are not realizing how much the heat likely impacted their play....yes they both played in it but Fresno is likely more used to it living there and practicing in it all summer.....I and many of you get irritated walking around when it’s 95...never mind playing football when it is 120.....I just think it stinks that they played in 120 degrees...the game should have been at night....how can you function in 120 degrees playing football.....surprised there were no players that had serious health issues in that heat

Ok some positives....

Punting game averaged 40 yards/punt
Only 40 yards in penalties
Defensive played pretty well early....remember they were minus their starting defensive ends which affected their ability to get pressure on QB
Traveled cross country playing their first game in 2 years playing in ridiculous heat..
Missing one starting lineman

Given the conditions, Treating this like an exhibition as should most of us should.
Lets reevaluate after they have a home game in 70 degree weather and have had a chance to review the film from their “exhibition game”
As my old college football coach was fond of saying "Excuses are like s. Everybody has one and they all stink." But, that was the same guy from a different generation who also gave himself a heart attack mid-season and snuck out of the hospital 5 days later incognito to watch our next game from a makeshift bed in a van from a hill overlooking the field. True story.

Reaction Score
As my old college football coach was fond of saying "Excuses are like s. Everybody has one and they all stink." But, that was the same guy from a different generation who also gave himself a heart attack mid-season and snuck out of the hospital 5 days later incognito to watch our next game from a makeshift bed in a van from a hill overlooking the field. True story.
Not an attack here just saying as his protege here is something that explains your rationale. ;)

Reaction Score
We won the pre-head-game. No one knew who our starting QB was. Well played by RE.

Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

I wish I had something more positive & substantive to add after watching Saturday's complete annihilation in our opening game. I can't.

But it reminded me of why I'm still a proponent of UConn returning to FCS football someday, rekindling our traditional regional rivalries (I know, I know) & better-managing the athletic budget in such a totally over-burdened state.

Besides that practicality, Huskie fans really NEED some UConn games to care about once again, don't we? We really could use some fresh air in that locker room, I'll tell you.

Watching Coach Edsall ("Mister Coach Klein") STILL on the sidelines, & STILL unable to put together, field or manage a football team representative of the great State of Connecticut - or even a modern style of football - while dashing the hope & optimism of all our loyal fans here with more of the SOS? It feels like a complete betrayal by ALL associated UCONN leaders. Years of these terrible beatings & results do not lie, friends! MOVE ON!

Whatever happened to good old fashioned, decent Yankee Ingenuity & Common Sense in finding solutions?!?

As long as Coach Edsall nee' "Coach Klein" is still cringing on the Huskies' sidelines, all we can wish for the poor but talented players is....."GO MUD DOGS!" Cuz that's exactly where this loser of a coach has put the Huskies and Connecticut's reputation - lost, leaderless & down in the mud!

ACTION NOW!!!!! Even if they beat HC (now there's a FB power), UConn should Fire Edsall & the entire coaching staff! It really stinks in there! Need some fresh air & a new start!

Signed, A very frustrated, Father Demo!

PS: UConn, please continue to reconsider alternatives for keeping College Football alive in CT - including a future transition to FCS.

Last edited:

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

I wish I had something more positive & substantive to add after watching Saturday's complete annihilation in our opening game. I can't.

But it reminded me of why I'm still a proponent of UConn returning to FCS football someday, rekindling our traditional regional rivalries (I know, I know) & better-managing the athletic budget in such a totally over-burdened state.

Besides that practicality, Huskie fans really NEED some UConn games to care about once again, don't we? We really could use some fresh air in that locker room, I'll tell you.

Watching Coach Edsall ("Mister Coach Klein") STILL on the sidelines, & STILL unable to put together, field or manage a football team representative of the great State of Connecticut - or even a modern style of football - while dashing the hope & optimism of all our loyal fans here with more of the SOS? It feels like a complete betrayal by ALL associated UCONN leaders. Years of these terrible beatings & results do not lie, friends! MOVE ON!

Whatever happened to good old fashioned, decent Yankee Ingenuity & Common Sense in finding solutions?!?

As long as Coach Edsall nee' "Coach Klein" is still cringing on the Huskies' sidelines, all we can wish for the poor but talented players is....."GO MUD DOGS!" Cuz that's exactly where this loser of a coach has put the Huskies and Connecticut's reputation - lost, leaderless & down in the mud!

ACTION NOW!!!!! Even if they beat HC (now there's a FB power), UConn should Fire Edsall & the entire coaching staff! It really stinks in there! Need some fresh air & a new start!

Signed, A very frustrated, Father Demo!

PS: UConn, please continue to reconsider alternatives for keeping College Football alive in CT - including a future transition to FCS.
I just threw up in my mouth a little. I thought the game was the worst thing I would see this week. Nee? I'm going to pretend I never read this.

Reaction Score
FCS Football. Most of the expenses of a major football program with 20% of the revenue...
Yeah, that has been said many times. I would like to see the numbers including the calculation procedures and the set of assumptions adopted. Since most of the assumptions are usually best guesses, I would like to see meaningful variational analysis along with a Monte Carlo simulation. When these things get studied, all that are usually presented are the conclusions. We never get to evaluate the efficacy of their methods.

Reaction Score
Firing the staff after one game....wow....let’s take a breather here....every other sport has an exhibition game and that is how I define the first game, haven’t played in 2 years, crazy ridiculous 120 degree weather, 2 injured defensive ends, 2 missed TD throws, a questionable fumble for TD call, a couple big plays they can be corrected, and some bad play calling at end of the first half (3rd and 2 on 50 throwing downfield with 2 min left giving Fresno 10 more points in those final 2 minutes left)....the first real game is this week. Edsall has their best recruiting class coming in at 68....let’s give him some credit for that.we are on the way up. Let’s relax on the firing posts and I’ll give them one more game before I turn the tv off for the season. Yes it’s been frustrating over the past 3 years but the pieces are in place to improve soon. Still young as well, don’t forget that.....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah, that has been said many times. I would like to see the numbers including the calculation procedures and the set of assumptions adopted. Since most of the assumptions are usually best guesses, I would like to see meaningful variational analysis along with a Monte Carlo simulation. When these things get studied, all that are usually presented are the conclusions. We never get to evaluate the efficacy of their methods.

You'd like to see numbers???

Well then go ahead and pull up FCS school numbers. You're acting like I'm stopping you from using Google...

Reaction Score
You'd like to see numbers???

Well then go ahead and pull up FCS school numbers. You're acting like I'm stopping you from using Google...
Burden is on u not me, bud. U made the statement. And I don't expect u to back it up because you can't. It is a complicated analysis. Not as simple as xyz schools are experiencing whatever. That said, I find it difficult to believe that FCS schools lose more money than UConn. That doesn't pass the eyeball test. If that were true, everyone would go FBS.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Burden is on u not me, bud. U made the statement. And I don't expect u to back it up because you can't. It is a complicated analysis. Not as simple as xyz schools are experiencing whatever. That said, I find it difficult to believe that FCS schools lose more money than UConn. That doesn't pass the eyeball test. If that were true, everyone would go FBS.

"I'm too lazy to type into a search browser but feel I need to tell others that they are wrong anyways because I just feel like they're wrong."

Cool story, bro...

Reaction Score
"I'm too lazy to type into a search browser but feel I need to tell others that they are wrong anyways because I just feel like they're wrong."

Cool story, bro...
If you can't back up what u say, then don't be angry when someone calls BS. If FCS is more expensive to the institution than FBS, which is what you allege, then no universties would play at that level. But go ahead, invest a $100K and get a complete anslysis done to prove your point. Have at it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We’re probably going to win 3 games. And the season will be touted as a success. Edsall isn’t going anywhere.

I think 3 is the floor and likely number. I wouldn't consider it success and I agree Edsall gets one more free pass from the AD.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I’m struggling to figure out who the 5 are. Army and Wyoming could turn us inside out.

You shouldn't be losing to FCS teams and service acadamies if you want to be considered legit. A good program also doesn't lose to P6 bottom feeders even from the SEC and B1G.

This is a Hawaii BCS level schedule, a good squad would finish 11-1 and give Clemson and their new QB a scare for a quarter and a half. We are so far from that it's frightening.

Reaction Score
You shouldn't be losing to FCS teams and service acadamies if you want to be considered legit. A good program also doesn't lose to P6 bottom feeders even from the SEC and B1G.

This is a Hawaii BCS level schedule, a good squad would finish 11-1 and give Clemson and their new QB a scare for a quarter and a half. We are so far from that it's frightening.

The service academies have been somewhat respectable in general.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
While our offensive play was generally offensive, I did like that in our second possession, we went for a 4th down & 1 from midfield, ran a QB sneak, and we got five yards. That play tells me that the OL has the base physical skills but the rest of the game told me that the C and the right side of our OL needs to get so much better.

That was the only play on offense I can think of that really went to plan. Everything else sucked.

Reaction Score
Maybe not, but the existence of this forum does not count for anything in the overall scheme of things.
The point was we didnt have a U Delaware type fanbase prior to going BCS. Playing Bryant and Albany is not going bring any- body west of Waterbury or the shoreline. The fanbase was quickly built on the promise of playing big time football. Rentschler field will look like Oakland Alemeida with the upper decks closed off plus you wont be able to charge P5 level ticket prices. Students? They would give a even less.

Reaction Score

I think this is silly

IF ... you were right, given the last 2 decades, no PROGRAM would advance to FBS. We know that is not true. At 135 FBS Programs, we are up a dozen in the last decade. It ain't complicated. It doesn't take a upper division Strategic Management course. There ... you failed your own eyeball.

FBS Football can be a solid lead cow of a Athletic Department and make money

UCONN losses are an anomaly due to our precipitous fall out of the top tier Big East into the Group of 5. WE ARE ... better positioned than most all the NON Notre Dame independents. Better stadium Better athletic football specific facilities Better Academics.

HERE'S MY SPECULATIVE POINT (there I bold it) - as Sports Illustrated pointed out this week. There really are about 10 Programs far and away ahead of all others; there are a handful of P5 that will keep abreast - but the B8 (B12) fallout is going to cause a lot of pain in a 5 year period. And ALL the non top tier will have trouble keeping up.

AND ... a lot of NEW Universities will nudge up to be amongst the 135 over the next decade: More Money more money more $$$ = Independent?

and without totally open books and comparable accounting ... it's kind of a moot argument

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom