Can anyone muster up one positive takeaway? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Can anyone muster up one positive takeaway?

Reaction Score
at one point last year Appalachian State (moved from FCS to FBS in 2014), Georgia Southern (2017), Coastal Carolina (2017), Liberty (2018) were 27-3. That is four of the last six moves to FBS.

This underlying debate on FCS is wrongheaded. UCONN is an anomaly. WE have Great FBS infrastructure ... because we built it to compete with Pitt and WVU and VaTech. That has to be beyond the other dozen FCS moveups. A good structure wins - gains solid attendance - and makes far more money. You want me to show you the $ ... these Public Universities publish budget dollars but the accounting systems are varying and you cannot come to any conclusions. But rising from absolute collapse in FBS/FCS is hard.

WE have blown up FBS. There is a healthy big middle. The disparity in TV money from AAC/MWC to B12 ... will erode. The ACC + Pac12 is in trouble. One big fat middle. And my thesis is YOU can thrive in FBS as an Independent. Benedict put together a solid future in scheduling ... and I think we are looking to an era that is more opportune.

You tell me that Universities in FCS are happy? I say wait ... and watch. There are a number of Programs that may be attracted to the new paradigm.

Reaction Score
You realize there's stadium requirements for FBS right?
Of course, and if you bookkeep the debt service for those as part of the operational expense, the business case for FBS gets even worse.

Reaction Score
Traveled cross country playing first game in 2 years in ridiculous heat.
And it wasn't just the heat's affect on the body, but how much the molten field literally melted our cleats, causing our footing to slip throughout the last three quarters. You can't cut or pursue (or even throw deep) with confidence when your feet aren't firmly set on a solid surface. Here's one of many examples. Our DB didn't have a chance.

Reaction Score
Of course, and if you bookkeep the debt service for those as part of the operational expense, the business case for FBS gets even worse.
HATE to crap all over your pet theory ...

Nobody is going to FCS from FBS. Idaho? A close analysis will tell you that MUCH movement is prevented by Geography NOT Money ($$$). North Dakota State would clearly love to be FBS (google just a little) ... if not for the fact that they simply are not an easy fit for any current conference. Idaho moved because of that reason. Montana? South Dakota State? New Mexico State? all odd geography.

In the decade before 2000, 12 programs rose to FBS (including Buffalo, Marshall). From 2000 to 2009, only Florida schools - USF, Florida International, Florida Atlantic - rose to FBS (UCF was 1998). UConn - 2000. Since 2009, a full dozen have gone from FCS to FBS.

The idea that the business case for FBS is fallacious ... makes me think what else you believe in. nearly 30 programs have risen and only Idaho has retrenched. Georgia Southern made a Bowl; and Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Appalachian State are fast moving to Bowls. Therefore, the stuck FCS fans saying ... we prize the Playoff system and Championship makes me roll my eyes. There is MONEY. Exposure. The AD is pulled along by a well run Football bell cow. TV exposure and Branding come from FOOTBALL.

Geography? The WAC is reforming with 7 members with the promise for another 2 ... to be FBS. What follows there? Maybe North Dakota State Bison and a few others. Sacramento? Why shouldn't California have 8 FBS? when Texas has 11, Ohio 8, Florida 7. Why is there only ONE program in NJ? Maybe my employer UAlbany would join UBuffalo? Particularly if there are plentiful Independents.

There is more likelihood for there being 150 FBS programs than any more dropping to FCS.

Reaction Score
HATE to crap all over your pet theory ...

Nobody is going to FCS from FBS. Idaho? A close analysis will tell you that MUCH movement is prevented by Geography NOT Money ($$$). North Dakota State would clearly love to be FBS (google just a little) ... if not for the fact that they simply are not an easy fit for any current conference. Idaho moved because of that reason. Montana? South Dakota State? New Mexico State? all odd geography.

In the decade before 2000, 12 programs rose to FBS (including Buffalo, Marshall). From 2000 to 2009, only Florida schools - USF, Florida International, Florida Atlantic - rose to FBS (UCF was 1998). UConn - 2000. Since 2009, a full dozen have gone from FCS to FBS.

The idea that the business case for FBS is fallacious ... makes me think what else you believe in. nearly 30 programs have risen and only Idaho has retrenched. Georgia Southern made a Bowl; and Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Appalachian State are fast moving to Bowls. Therefore, the stuck FCS fans saying ... we prize the Playoff system and Championship makes me roll my eyes. There is MONEY. Exposure. The AD is pulled along by a well run Football bell cow. TV exposure and Branding come from FOOTBALL.

Geography? The WAC is reforming with 7 members with the promise for another 2 ... to be FBS. What follows there? Maybe North Dakota State Bison and a few others. Sacramento? Why shouldn't California have 8 FBS? when Texas has 11, Ohio 8, Florida 7. Why is there only ONE program in NJ? Maybe my employer UAlbany would join UBuffalo? Particularly if there are plentiful Independents.

There is more likelihood for there being 150 FBS programs than any more dropping to FCS.
Wow!! So ... you are saying -- and saying it multiple times in multiple posts -- that institutions lose less money in FBS than FCS. Gosh, that is a revelation. I do wish that I could make it into to your alternate reality but it just isn't working. But we'll take your word for it.

Reaction Score
Wow!! So ... you are saying -- and saying it multiple times in multiple posts -- that institutions lose less money in FBS than FCS. Gosh, that is a revelation. I do wish that I could make it into to your alternate reality but it just isn't working. But we'll take your word for it.

You and your disbelief ... aided by the mere detail that these aren't public companies who need to show their books. Behavior. Why did ALL those institutions - many State U's (and not the Land Grant AAC) - want/desire to be FBS. Proooof? They did it with a very heavy lift.

Always about money. But the overwhelming reason is the Platform that they attained by chinning their way up. They would rather be in the Sunbelt FBS ... than Southland FCS? Yup. But I would argue none of us would ever have heard about Texas State ... if they didn't play a Baylor and some other P5 every year. That ESPN or Fox had them on a rotation somehow. That nearby Austin grew like wildfires. You think losing book dollars is going to overcome the buzz this Football thing did?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The first quarter was solid defensively with holding one of the better offenses of a year ago in check.

The kicking game looks very good as does the return team.

Reaction Score
You and your disbelief ... aided by the mere detail that these aren't public companies who need to show their books. Behavior. Why did ALL those institutions - many State U's (and not the Land Grant AAC) - want/desire to be FBS. Proooof? They did it with a very heavy lift.

Always about money. But the overwhelming reason is the Platform that they attained by chinning their way up. They would rather be in the Sunbelt FBS ... than Southland FCS? Yup. But I would argue none of us would ever have heard about Texas State ... if they didn't play a Baylor and some other P5 every year. That ESPN or Fox had them on a rotation somehow. That nearby Austin grew like wildfires. You think losing book dollars is going to overcome the buzz this Football thing did?
Well, you got one thing right. All the losses are being written off as a cost of being in the education business -- to raise the public profile of the institution. Advertising. Costs that at UConn, are being borne in outsized measure by students who are not athletes. That is the real motivation for being in FBS rather than FCS, lets be frank. Not that there is a business case for it for those outside the top 25 programs, because there just isn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HC has a forum very similar to this: Home | Crossports
I know 87. It was just a way of emphasizing that going fcs will lead to 10k in the seats as the norm. Not like it's getting that way now. Biggest game FCS in the northeast is Yale-Harvard. I think its the only game on their schedules that really helps drive their average home attendance above 10k. CCSU went up to Albany for a FCS post season playoff game and played in front of <2k. Princeton played in front of nobody during an undefeated season in 2017. I live in SE CT. Been to Fitton a few times and it still surprises me how short of a drive it seems to get there. Go to URI on occasion too. My favorite time of year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know 87. It was just a way of emphasizing that going fcs will lead to 10k in the seats as the norm. Not like it's getting that way now. Biggest game FCS in the northeast is Yale-Harvard. I think its the only game on their schedules that really helps drive their average home attendance above 10k. CCSU went up to Albany for a FCS post season playoff game and played in front of <2k. Princeton played in front of nobody during an undefeated season in 2017. I live in SE CT. Been to Fitton a few times and it still surprises me how short of a drive it seems to get there. Go to URI on occasion too. My favorite time of year.
Yeah, Northeast FCS attendance is way down from where it was in the '80s.....TV, internet, kid's sports etc have really hurt game day attendance. When I was at HC in the '80s, we normally drew in the 15-20K range and a few times higher (BC and some big Homecoming games). Today, outside of Homecoming and Family Weekend) a good crowd at Fitton ia sround 10K.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's much like ccsufans.com with all 138 members. Compared to the 8500 on this board.
It's actually one of the more active boards at the FCS level. You have to remember there are still a lot of HC alums around who remember when HC was very good in both hoop and football in the 1970s and 1980s.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's much like ccsufans.com with all 138 members. Compared to the 8500 on this board.
But much fewer post to UConn Football. Maybe a 100? That said, the participation on their football topic is much lower than UConn's.

Reaction Score
But much fewer post to UConn Football. Maybe a 100? That said, the participation on their football topic is much lower than UConn's.
It's actually pretty comprable from what I've seen this week...for the size of the school, Holy Cross has pretty rabid alumni fan-base....we punch a lot ovah our weight lol, we love to bitch and moan too...

Reaction Score
It's actually pretty comprable from what I've seen this week...for the size of the school, Holy Cross has pretty rabid alumni fan-base....we punch a lot ovah our weight lol, we love to bitch and moan too...

I couldn't get two ex HC football alums to go to the game this Saturday. Anecdotally ... you and your purple needs to just take a seat. You were relevant. Now you are not. You have not won a decent basketball game or title since the Disco era.

Reaction Score
I can't. What a let down after 21 months of preparation. Zergiotis couldn't throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field. At least McFadden looked great punting. What a disaster.
It puts Edsall two giant steps closer to the exits.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

I wish these talented UConn players all the best playing this beautiful autumn game that they love, at HC this week, & for the rest of the season. Edsall & the coaches? Those losers can ALL go fly a kite. LOSERS! They are the ones letting the kids down, & making their livings off the players' bodies, while losing 45-0 in the season opener! Disgusting!

Big-time college football's viability in the Northeast is a thing of the past, IMO. I know this after watching UConn football hit rock bottom for over a decade in FBS, flying all over the place in the AAC, & spending way too much money on this secondary (at UConn) sport. And then, it consistently 'achieves' Randy Edsall 2.0 results. Not the players fault! Shame on the "leadership" for taking that route.

I would rather see the game played against the Huskies' natural regional rivals - going 8-4 against them, rather than 1-10 against schools we fans don't give a darn about, & who are better coached in regions that take the game more seriously. Should be accept the $mil for being Clemson's 70-6 patsy? No! That inferior school can keep their "punk money. Give it to pirates like Marshall!

Big-time FBS football as an independent will never be a winning money-maker or a successful model for any future sport at UConn. As much as we'd like to pretend we are Big-Ten-type, macho men in the 1-2 consolidating conferences that pillage amateur sport with their complete greed, we never will be. Remember how FBS football realignment killed our amazing Big East hoops league back then?!?)

There are better ways to keep this dying sport alive in New England, with integrity AND success. The Ivies provide one healthy model. New England/NE FCS another. But it seems that's for future generations to figure out.

Just my opinions, guys. I only want to see the players, the school & the State of Connecticut succeed, & do what is best - for ALL students & residents - & even the FB fans during these craziest of times, Ha!

Take Care, Stay Healthy!
Father Demo

PS: In this age of raging Delta, it's a wonder that any live college or pro sports are being played anywhere. It's almost immoral that we allow that & encourage it. But it's all about the bucks, kids! And that sadly is the primaryreligion in the US of A! -Father Demo-

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

I wish these talented UConn players all the best playing this beautiful autumn game that they love, at HC this week, & for the rest of the season. Edsall & the coaches? Those losers can ALL go fly a kite. LOSERS! They are the ones letting the kids down, & making their livings off the players' bodies, while losing 45-0 in the season opener! Disgusting!

Big-time college football's viability in the Northeast is a thing of the past, IMO. I know this after watching UConn football hit rock bottom for over a decade in FBS, flying all over the place in the AAC, & spending way too much money on this secondary (at UConn) sport. And then, it consistently 'achieves' Randy Edsall 2.0 results. Not the players fault! Shame on the "leadership" for taking that route.

I would rather see the game played against the Huskies' natural regional rivals - going 8-4 against them, rather than 1-10 against schools we fans don't give a darn about, & who are better coached in regions that take the game more seriously. being Clemson's patsy. That inferior school can keep their money.

Big-time FBS football as an independent will never be a winning money-maker or a successful model for any future sport at UConn. As much as we'd like to pretend we are Big-Ten-type, macho men in the 1-2 consolidating conferences that pillage amateur sport with their complete greed, we never will be. There are better ways to keep this dying sport alive in New England, with integrity AND success. The Ivies provide one model. New England FCS another. But it seems that's for future generations to figure out.

Just my opinions, guys. I only want to see the players, the school & the State of Connecticut succeed, & do what is best - for ALL students & residents - & even the fans during these crazy times, Ha!

Take Care,
Father Demo

PS: In this age of raging Delta, it's a wonder that any live college or pro sports are being played anywhere. It's almost immoral that we allow that & encourage it. But it's all about the bucks, kids! And that sadly is our primaryreligion! -father demo-
We got your feelings the first time you posted it (in the same thread)…
Hi Guys,

I wish I had something more positive & substantive to add after watching Saturday's complete annihilation in our opening game. I can't.

But it reminded me of why I'm still a proponent of UConn returning to FCS football someday, rekindling our traditional regional rivalries (I know, I know) & better-managing the athletic budget in such a totally over-burdened state.

Besides that practicality, Huskie fans really NEED some UConn games to care about once again, don't we? We really could use some fresh air in that locker room, I'll tell you.

Watching Coach Edsall ("Mister Coach Klein") STILL on the sidelines, & STILL unable to put together, field or manage a football team representative of the great State of Connecticut - or even a modern style of football - while dashing the hope & optimism of all our loyal fans here with more of the SOS? It feels like a complete betrayal by ALL associated UCONN leaders. Years of these terrible beatings & results do not lie, friends! MOVE ON!

Whatever happened to good old fashioned, decent Yankee Ingenuity & Common Sense in finding solutions?!?

As long as Coach Edsall nee' "Coach Klein" is still cringing on the Huskies' sidelines, all we can wish for the poor but talented players is....."GO MUD DOGS!" Cuz that's exactly where this loser of a coach has put the Huskies and Connecticut's reputation - lost, leaderless & down in the mud!

ACTION NOW!!!!! Even if they beat HC (now there's a FB power), UConn should Fire Edsall & the entire coaching staff! It really stinks in there! Need some fresh air & a new start!

Signed, A very frustrated, Father Demo!

PS: UConn, please continue to reconsider alternatives for keeping College Football alive in CT - including a future transition to FCS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom