Calhoun Quotes on Hurley | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Calhoun Quotes on Hurley

Reaction Score
I agree about the handling of players. Although, the rift with JC started a long time before the Miller firing. It basically started when Jim in KO’s eyes got a little too much credit and attention as a result of the 2014 National Championship and KO’s ego was growing exponentially. He no longer wanted Jim at practices and telling KO his opinion on things. He wanted to be his own man, which would have been fine, but he underestimated the value of the cocooned Jim built around him his first two years.

#ChiefCertified
Yep, there were signs that the relationship had soured long before Miller was fired. We will never fully know the how and the why of how this all went south so hard and so fast. But we are all human and even those of us with little self awareness know, deep down, what our flaws are and why they are there so we can all piece together a plausible picture. No matter what we think of the job KO did as a coach, I think we all feel compassion for how tough the divorce must have been on him, for example.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree about the handling of players. Although, the rift with JC started a long time before the Miller firing. It basically started when Jim in KO’s eyes got a little too much credit and attention as a result of the 2014 National Championship and KO’s ego was growing exponentially. He no longer wanted Jim at practices and telling KO his opinion on things. He wanted to be his own man, which would have been fine, but he underestimated the value of the cocooned Jim built around him his first two years.

#ChiefCertified
This I can believe.
Egos are huge problems especially when they are huge.
It’s conceivable that JC did and said things in practices that were antagonistic to KO that came from his feeling he wasn’t getting credit for #4 by the media and/or KO. And it’s possible KO had an overinflated opinion of himself and did not want to acknowledge JC’s role or felt JC was diluting his role in that NC.

I’m nervous that JC is involved in Hurley’s practices. The positive is the advice he can offer. The negative is if he is unable to disentangle himself from believing he is still coaching. I believe
Lou Carnasseca couldn’t and that really hurt St. John’s.

C

Chief00

This I can believe.
Egos are huge problems especially when they are huge.
It’s conceivable that JC did and said things in practices that were antagonistic to KO that came from his feeling he wasn’t getting credit for #4 by the media and/or KO. And it’s possible KO had an overinflated opinion of himself and did not want to acknowledge JC’s role or felt JC was diluting his role in that NC.

I’m nervous that JC is involved in Hurley’s practices. The positive is the advice he can offer. The negative is if he is unable to disentangle himself from believing he is still coaching. I believe
Lou Carnasseca couldn’t and that really hurt St. John’s.
Jim is always a silent observer at practice, unless asked to say a few words - which is very rare. The issue was that KO did not want any JC post practice feedback and Hurley sees the value in it regarding pickup games which he can’t officially watch.

Calhoun and Blaney are perfectionist and their feedback is brutally honest and exceptionally insightful. But, you need to be open to it, secure and not have an ego that will not accept constructive feedback by others.
The way their brilliant basketball minds work is they tend to focus on what needs to be improved - so you don’t hear a lot - you did this great stuff. It’s more the guy made a lazy cut, did not set the screen correctly, seem out of condition, or not taking the right option on a play.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Jim is always a silent observer at practice, unless asked to say a few words - which is very rare. The issue was that KO did not want any JC post practice feedback and Hurley sees the value in it.
Calhoun and Blaney are perfectionist and their feedback is brutally honest and exceptionally insightful. But, you need to be open to it, secure and not have an ego that will not accept constructive feedback to others.
That is reassuring if true.

C

Chief00

That is reassuring if true.
Ok I will rate it #ChiefCertified.

The Jim you see perform on a sideline stage wasn’t the Jim you would see in practice even when he coached. As a retired coach - he is a silent observer - but after practice feedback is very analytical and brutally honest. That’s how Jim and George talked about their own team but it’s understandable that someone with a lot of ego may not want to hear it. I think Calhoun recognizes that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Ok I will rate it #ChiefCertified.

The Jim you see perform on a sideline stage wasn’t the Jim you would see in practice even when he coached. As a retired coach - he is a silent observer - but after practice feedback is very analytical and brutally honest. That’s how Jim and George talked about their own team but it’s understandable that someone with a lot of ego may not want to hear it. I think Calhoun recognizes that.
PM me how you know this information.

TJT

Reaction Score
I fully expect that Hurley will initially listen to Calhoun and they will begin off with a good relationship (as Ollie also did). I however think the looming specter of Calhoun over the program will get to Hurley with time. They will eventually have a disagreement and I predict their relationship will go south. I give them a two year shelf life. I don't know of any coach that likes having a predecessor looking over him. Hurley will be no different than KO in that regard.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I fully expect that Hurley will initially listen to Calhoun and they will begin off with a good relationship (as Ollie also did). I however think the looming specter of Calhoun over the program will get to Hurley with time. They will eventually have a disagreement and I predict their relationship will go south. I give them a two year shelf life. I don't know of any coach that likes having a predecessor looking over him. Hurley will be no different than KO in that regard.
You're a Friar fan, right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You do know JC is going to be coaching another program don't you? Not exactly a lot of time to be a 'looming specter'.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

From a purely PR standpoint, the school would be crazy to drag any personal behavior allegations into the "for cause" argument if they don't absolutely have to. Citing the NCAA rules investigation suggests that they don't need any more justification than that.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Don't think so, at least not until 180 days have run. As we discussed previously KO was entitled to 180 days notice. If UConn didn't provide him that, then he is entitled to pay in lieu of notice. See below from the CBA:
upload_2018-5-17_18-14-44-png.31441

So delay doesn't put more money in KO's pocket until after that. Note that this also undercuts the argument that due process was somehow side stepped because Hurley was hired prior to the hearings since the contract specifically lists this possibility and provides for a remedy for it, pay in lieu of notice.

True, but if it plays out through the administrative process and arbitration with no satisfactory result, then filing suit in federal court could drag it out for years, not just months. I think that may be Ollie's best if not only legal strategy available to him. He's laughing all the way to his bank right now, and may succeed in perpetuating that for some time to come. The university may have to settle just to stop the bleeding. Ollie may have no leg to stand on in court, but we're still a long way from that, and he's getting paid all along the way there.

Reaction Score
That falling out was over Glen Miller’s firing.

Glen Miller and KO fell out over the handling of players two years ago unless you buy into the rumor he was fired over the loss of Diallo or Glen emphasized courses when recruits came for official visits and pushed KO into playing zone defense.
That falling out was over Glen Miller’s firing.

Glen Miller and KO fell out over the handling of players two years ago unless you buy into the rumor he was fired over the loss of Diallo or Glen emphasized courses when recruits came for official visits and pushed KO into playing zone defense.

Unlike last season KO was a bear with players two years ago which people have conveniently forgotten. Glen tried to soothe things with players and KO perceived that as undermining his authority.

The AD had a talk with KO after that season and that plus the mass exodus resulted in KO doing a 180 in his handling of players last season.

The irony is those players two years ago would not buy into the importance of defense something JC insisted.

I’m not implying KO had no responsibility with events. He could have handled players better. On the other hand we’ll never know if anyone could have done better with that collective group. Although that won’t stop people from believing their conjecture is fact.

My conjecture is the divorce changed KO and he lost the ability to genuinely relate to his players the way he did the first few seasons as head coach. I hope he can regain that ability but UConn could not afford to wait if/until that happened .

We have hired a proven commodity with Hurley who has a long history of good relationships with players. And Hurley has hired a staff with a known ability to relate to players. Twenty four wins next season is not a pipe dream imo.

Excellent post.

Finally sort of brings it all together in conjunction with @Chief00 post which followed this one. The terrible morale, the transfers, the fake love, the in-house friction, Glen Miller's firing so close to retirement eligibility, credit for the championship (those were mostly Calhoun's players, but KO coached them for 2 years and a title), the ego, overconfidence, and desire to be his own man, the divorce which can change people certain ways at least for some time, the eventual fall from grace, and the inability to recover quickly enough to restore confidence in his coaching and program management.

I've been picking up the pieces for a couple of years now, and these two posts confirming and adding to what I already know seems to tie it all together for the most part.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He had to go to New London to find someone willing to take his case??
Madsen is in Hartford and Parenteau is in New London. They both signed the letter and the firm has an office in each.

pj

Reaction Score
True, but if it plays out through the administrative process and arbitration with no satisfactory result, then filing suit in federal court could drag it out for years, not just months. I think that may be Ollie's best if not only legal strategy available to him. He's laughing all the way to his bank right now, and may succeed in perpetuating that for some time to come. The university may have to settle just to stop the bleeding. Ollie may have no leg to stand on in court, but we're still a long way from that, and he's getting paid all along the way there.

No way UConn pays him beyond the 180 days they are obliged to. In order to get more, he has to win in court, or negotiate a settlement. Dragging it out is no problem for the university if they know they have a winning case.

Reaction Score
He had to go to New London to find someone willing to take his case??
one of the most highly regarded firms in CT representing individuals in employment law cases

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Can't follow your interpretation here. Anything beyond 180 days of pay, which gets over due process, KO would have to prove in court that there was no just cause. Not going to happen.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Jim is always a silent observer at practice, unless asked to say a few words - which is very rare. The issue was that KO did not want any JC post practice feedback and Hurley sees the value in it regarding pickup games which he can’t officially watch.

Calhoun and Blaney are perfectionist and their feedback is brutally honest and exceptionally insightful. But, you need to be open to it, secure and not have an ego that will not accept constructive feedback by others.
The way their brilliant basketball minds work is they tend to focus on what needs to be improved - so you don’t hear a lot - you did this great stuff. It’s more the guy made a lazy cut, did not set the screen correctly, seem out of condition, or not taking the right option on a play.
Danny was raised by Bob Hurley Sr. I think his ego will be quite comfortable with JC providing insights or otherwise.

Reaction Score
I think Jim is to smart to get caught up in this drama.

I think Jim lives for the spotlight of the program he built...don't think he sees it as drama, so much as he sees it as "his."
Will be interesting for sure to see how long Hurley can endure it... Not sure the place is big enough for both egos, but it will be fun to watch, for the hoop upgrade in the beginning, and then...the other stuff...

C

Chief00

From a purely PR standpoint, the school would be crazy to drag any personal behavior allegations into the "for cause" argument if they don't absolutely have to. Citing the NCAA rules investigation suggests that they don't need any more justification than that.

Agree, and personal behavior has a low bar with KO’s most likely new employer (NBA) so the mud UConn would get on them by association might be worse?

C

Chief00

I think Jim lives for the spotlight of the program he built...don't think he sees it as drama, so much as he sees it as "his."
Will be interesting for sure to see how long Hurley can endure it... Not sure the place is big enough for both egos, but it will be fun to watch, for the hoop upgrade in the beginning, and then...the other stuff...
Admittedly it’s early yet - but I sense they will remain on the same page. I am sure many here will remind me if I am wrong.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You are wicked smaht

Reaction Score
Bingo. He’s basically confirmed the narrative KO’s lawyers have framed.
Not in the least. No kidding Ollie was removed because he was bad at winning basketball games. Not one person associated with UConn would tell you otherwise. The difference is, he also failed to follow the rules, which was a contractual stipulation, and therefore fired for cause, as well as removed for being bad at coaching basketball.

The two things are separate and only a complete and utter simpleton would not be able to understand that. If Ollie's representation thinks they're going to make hay relying on people failing to make that distinction, he and they are in for a rude awakening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom