Calhoun Quotes on Hurley | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Calhoun Quotes on Hurley

Reaction Score
Ollie's salary is completely irrelevant to the discussion and while I suspect you're not the only person to get hung up on it, it really goes to show how people allow their emotions to seep into something that needs to be evaluated from a distance.

The fact that the investigation hasn't damaged the program is exactly the point. If it had, the loss in revenue would come out of somebody other than Ollie's bank account. It's the enduring hypocrisy of the NCAA - impose rules that selectively enforce the pretense of fairness without disrupting the revenue stream. If Ollie violated rules, it should come out of the pocket of the school, otherwise no school ever has any incentive to follow them. The Louisville situation is perfect. Let me know when the NCAA returns the revenue from the games they vacated.

I am drunk at a bar in RDU, this is probably the best laugh I have had all week. Thank you.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Don't think those words diminish the legal posturing at all

Change was needed does not imply just cause doesn't exist, it could be the very reason why change was needed

And I think the just cause argument is nothing more than a negotiated settlement

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lawyers on this board just loving this topic.

Drummers-I-Like-Crazy-Meme-300x200.jpg

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by the highlighted sentence but Louisville has to return to the NCAA 4 years of conference/tournament revenue they received through revenue sharing and tournament shares ?

I don't know much about the money other than that it doesn't go back to the paying customers. Whether it ends up in the hands of Louisville or the NCAA is besides the point; it's a business model that systematically encourages the breaking of rules. They know fans will continue to get caught up in the finger pointing of micro allegations while missing the overarching hypocrisy. In this case, the NCAA is protecting a business partner - the school - by claiming a false position of authority in order to exonerate them of a financial commitment, meanwhile screwing a coach that had been hurting business. And they don't have to do a single thing to communicate that mutual interest because we've given them that power.

People would heave at this sort of unchecked corruption if it didn't make it possible to hire a new basketball coach.

Reaction Score
Wow. That's about as damning as I've ever heard Calhoun be of one of his guys.

Things must have gotten really bad between him and Ollie.

I literally cringed and said Yikes! aloud as i read that. I guess now we know why kids simply werent developing here under Ollie.

C

Chief00

He's doing both.

I used the words “KO’s team is not even SINCERELY disputing it (cause)”. Their game plan is to win the CBA arbitration processs argument then run out the clock as KO continues getting paid handsomely. as the case slowly journeys through the court system. KO will win the money game without ever having to win disputing cause as he gets effectively fully paid before the case ever gets to trial and therefore the trial never happens. It’s a moot point.

So IF KO wins the CBA arbitration process argument, he effectively wins the money despite never being able to win the refuting cause argument.

Reaction Score
Loving the job security, that’s for sure.
Dude - I have work as long as people continue to make poor decisions.
Who you bettin' on? People stopping the bad decision making?
Lol. Sad but true.
I quote Jim Carrey in Liar Liar when asked by a client what to do after being arrested yet again for suspicion of some crime: "Stop breakin' the law!"

Reaction Score
In this case, the NCAA is protecting a business partner - the school - by claiming a false position of authority in order to exonerate them of a financial commitment, meanwhile screwing a coach that had been hurting business. And they don't have to do a single thing to communicate that mutual interest because we've given them that power.

People would heave at this sort of unchecked corruption if it didn't make it possible to hire a new basketball coach.

Unless you alleged the involvement of aliens, I don't think it would be possible to say anything more ridiculous on the subject than this.

Reaction Score
So you expect me to believe that the NCAA investigation is just completely coincidental and that the school's decision to fire him with cause has nothing to do with compliance? What is the reason then? Nobody is contesting their right to fire Ollie. He had done a poor job over a significant period of time. That's very different from side-stepping a buyout that everyone paying attention to the program knew was the single biggest factor in the case to bring him back.

Nobody is suggesting the school is wrong for not wanting to pay him, but if you're UConn this is a "that's life" moment where maybe you regret the way you negotiated the contract, swallow the buyout, and move on. If they're applying just cause because he violated a workout protocol or something then that's even more petty. Perhaps something comes out that's more egregious concerning his neglecting the fundamental responsibilities of the job, but until then there is no choice but to concede that UConn does not have a case.

Read contract. Just cause could be as simple as follows:

2016 a bad year, with mass exodus at end of year. KO has annual review and is put on notice
2017 another bad year and recruiting doesn't look to be improving. UCONN basketball becoming irrelevant on national scene.

KO released for cause.

Reaction Score
I used the words “KO’s team is not even SINCERELY disputing it (cause)”. Their game plan is to win the CBA arbitration processs argument then run out the clock as KO continues getting paid handsomely. as the case slowly journeys through the court system. KO will win the money game without ever having to win disputing cause as he gets effectively fully paid before the case ever gets to trial and therefore the trial never happens. It’s a moot point.

So IF KO wins the CBA arbitration process argument, he effectively wins the money despite never being able to win the refuting cause argument.

So if this plays out the way you describe, KO will be money grabbing his way out of "the family", at least in my eyes. If he genuinely was the great, dedicated, team first guy, he would admit to doing a crappy job and negotiate a settlement. In my book, and I've backed this up in my career multiple times when I've made mistakes, if you don't do your job as expected, you don't get paid, or you don't get paid as much. Between his deteriorating relationship with Calhoun and now the money grab, his true character may be showing.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So if this plays out the way you describe, KO will be money grabbing his way out of "the family", at least in my eyes. If he genuinely was the great, dedicated, team first guy, he would admit to doing a crappy job and negotiate a settlement. In my book, and I've backed this up in my career multiple times when I've made mistakes, if you don't do your job as expected, you don't get paid, or you don't get paid as much. Between his deteriorating relationship with Calhoun and now the money grab, his true character may be showing.

KO’s not going to be able to get full-time employment anytime soon. Of course he’s chasing the money.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So you expect me to believe that the NCAA investigation is just completely coincidental and that the school's decision to fire him with cause has nothing to do with compliance? What is the reason then? Nobody is contesting their right to fire Ollie. He had done a poor job over a significant period of time. That's very different from side-stepping a buyout that everyone paying attention to the program knew was the single biggest factor in the case to bring him back.

Nobody is suggesting the school is wrong for not wanting to pay him, but if you're UConn this is a "that's life" moment where maybe you regret the way you negotiated the contract, swallow the buyout, and move on. If they're applying just cause because he violated a workout protocol or something then that's even more petty. Perhaps something comes out that's more egregious concerning his neglecting the fundamental responsibilities of the job, but until then there is no choice but to concede that UConn does not have a case.

That may be one of the causes they are claiming. There are probably several others. Possibly neglect of duties. Possibly other things...perhaps behavioral issues. Look at clause iv in the piece of the contract @CL82 posted. My guess is that they didn't put all of their eggs in one basket, and probably have several examples that could constitute "cause" under his contract.

Everybody but you, including Ollie's lawyers given his lawsuit, seem to think UConn has a case, and a very good case. Ollie doesn't raise that ridiculous lawsuit arguing a Constitutional due process violation unless he knows they have cause, and that he's likely to lose in arbitration.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's doing both.

Yes, contesting cause in the hearings and eventual arbitration sure. But the lawsuit isn't about that. That's my point. And he doesn't file that lawsuit unless he's in bad shape in his attempt to dispute cause in the arbitration.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Read contract. Just cause could be as simple as follows:

2016 a bad year, with mass exodus at end of year. KO has annual review and is put on notice
2017 another bad year and recruiting doesn't look to be improving. UCONN basketball becoming irrelevant on national scene.

KO released for cause.
If UConn met the standards for documenting that and communicated it to KO, yep.

C

Chief00

Chief not passing judgement in this thread - just delivering the information. It’s best not to get too emotional about legal disputes. The emotion may be justified but it’s usually not productive.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Don't think so, at least not until 180 days have run. As we discussed previously KO was entitled to 180 days notice. If UConn didn't provide him that, then he is entitled to pay in lieu of notice. See below from the CBA:
upload_2018-5-17_18-14-44-png.31441

So delay doesn't put more money in KO's pocket until after that. Note that this also undercuts the argument that due process was somehow side stepped because Hurley was hired prior to the hearings since the contract specifically lists this possibility and provides for a remedy for it, pay in lieu of notice.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

That may be one of the causes they are claiming. There are probably several others. Possibly neglect of duties. Possibly other things...perhaps behavioral issues. Look at clause iv in the piece of the contract @CL82 posted.
Everybody but you, including Ollie's lawyers given his lawsuit, seem to think UConn has a case, and a very good case. Ollie doesn't raise that ridiculous lawsuit arguing a Constitutional due process violation unless he knows they have cause, and that he's likely to lose in arbitration.

So true.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Same here.

Of course I never posted on the Boneyard while at work so I never had to deduct my salary for that reason. What’s the over/under that the lawyers in this thread claim their time here as billable to their clients?:cool:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

This was the school's full statement when Ollie was fired, so I don't think that bolded sentence has been confirmed by the school as the reason for Ollie being let go. The school has cited an ongoing NCAA investigation into the program, but didn't mention that as the just cause.

“The University of Connecticut has initiated disciplinary procedures to terminate the employment of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Kevin Ollie for just cause. The University will have no further comment on the matter until the completion of both the University’s disciplinary process and the ongoing NCAA investigation.”

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Same here.

Of course I never posted on the Boneyard while at work so I never had to deduct my salary for that reason. What’s the over/under that the lawyers in this thread claim their time here as billable to their clients?:cool:

Who needs Westlaw when you the ‘yard for research?

Reaction Score
And here is just cause definition:
View attachment 31442
This is supplemented by KO's contract (NCAA violation language.)
I mean if they have proof of the rumors we’ve heard of KO partying with players, that’s gotta fit in to cause, being clearly unprofessional, probably unethical, and potentially illegal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom