Calhoun Quotes on Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun Quotes on Hurley

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Similar to @8893 post - it's an interesting point, but I can't imagine it's going to make a difference.
If Ollie committed NCAA infractions, thereby providing cause to UConn, he's not going to get out of that by saying, "they really fired me because I was sucking - take a look at Calhoun's comments." Benedict followed protocol. Only question that I see is whether we can prove any violations . . . shouldn't be too hard.
Likewise I don’t think it’d be too hard to show that the violations—and maybe even the self-reporting of them—were a pretext for a preordained result, i.e., firing the guy because he was doing a crappy job, but not wanting to pay for a non-cause firing.

As I’ve said, discrimination would not have been my first legal instinct here; but I would look at breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, which I suspect could get you to the same place without having to throw the discrimination bomb.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if it could matter, but maybe Calhoun shouldn’t be publicly saying that “change was needed and we made a change” instead of sticking to the script that Ollie was fired for NCAA violations?

Who says he was fired for NCAA violations. Based on what i read of contract he could have been fired for cause for a wide variety of reasons, only one of which was tied to NCAA violations. In fact he could have been fired for cause and committed no NCAA violations.

C

Chief00

Similar to @8893 post - it's an interesting point, but I can't imagine it's going to make a difference.
If Ollie committed NCAA infractions, thereby providing cause to UConn, he's not going to get out of that by saying, "they really fired me because I was sucking - take a look at Calhoun's comments." Benedict followed protocol. Only question that I see is whether we can prove any violations . . . shouldn't be too hard.

Finding cause isn’t exactly a problem. There’s an abundance of it.

Reaction Score
How sad is it that KO is reduced to trying to convince the world that he sucked at his job.

If his annual review said he sucked at his job and he did not rectify this he could be fired for cause. So this isn't really and out for him

Reaction Score
It makes no sense to distance yourself from one of the most powerful / respected men in the sport of basketball, let alone in a state (CT) or even New England area that believes he is a deity.

Should be an interesting few chapters in KO's autobiography " Ten Toes in: My journey from Compton to the NBA"
Yeah, probably KO's biggest mistake. He needed JC guidance most of all since how unexperienced he was in coaching.

Reaction Score
I know there had been rumors, but is this the first time he's actually gone on record implying they didn't get along? I mean, if you want to call it an implication.

I'd be curious to know when their relationship soured and I also wonder half-jokingly if Ollie was actively trying to get himself fired with some of this stuff.
It really does make you wonder what happened exactly. From afar, it was clear that JC was not as close to the program and KO as he was in the first few seasons. People imply that Ollie became stuck up and a know it all after he won that Championship and then further alienated Calhoun when he fired Miller. If there was any friction between the two, im assuming the firing of Miller was the last straw.

Reaction Score
Similar to @8893 Only question that I see is whether we can prove any violations . . . shouldn't be too hard.

Am I the only one who sees how remarkably problematic this is and how dangerous a precedent it sets? Put your thoughts on Ollie to the side for a second and realize that money is literally being put before the reputation of the program and the school, or at the very least configured in such a way as to suggest a conflict of interest.

You're essentially using a neutral party - the NCAA - as an unpaid prosecution team to extort money from an employee. And calling them neutral would be generous when they have every incentive to restore the credibility of a traditional money maker.

Reaction Score
Wow. That's about as damning as I've ever heard Calhoun be of one of his guys.

Things must have gotten really bad between him and Ollie.
They were never great, just designed to look that way at first.

Reaction Score
AD Benedict sold the Husky family goodwill for the chance at cutting KO's buy out. The chance to get Hurley was then or maybe never. He is a good fit and wanted to be here. So points to Benedict for that. We don't know how rare that is for a coach of this caliber.

AD will now shine light on anything that sticks to Ollie for money and i object to our AD stabbing his own program inn the back for any reason. Past players must feel this.

Hurley is in a tenuous place regarding the family and needs to keep some distance from Benedict. Calhoun is trying to help. Maybe he is even trying to get Ollie all his money and disprove the adage you can't have Hurley and not eat the money.

Reaction Score
I love how its assumed that the guy with the history of public spats, beefs, and pettyness had zero to do with the JC-KO relationship going off the rails...
I think JC resented all the praise KO got for doing such a great job with his players the first two years. I agree that JC was probably more at fault for the original problems between the two, and after winning the NC, Ollie thought he could finally do his own thing and didn’t need JC anymore. I’m sure they’re both at fault but the silver lining is we got a much better coach and JC is firmly back in the mix.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You’re making Ollie’s case.

I couldn’t agree more that he earned his exit. The question is whether he was fired for cause under the contract and therefore forfeits his pay.

And a throw-away comment from Jim Calhoun, a man not involved with the administration of the basketball program or the the firing of Kevin Ollie, has spurred your little legal brain into motion here?

Ah....why?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom