Calhoun getting back into coaching? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Calhoun getting back into coaching?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
2016 was a huge disappointment. Dont act like winning one tourney game in three seasons is even remotely acceptable.
Seems to me like you're cherry picking the years you want to count, to bolster your position. "1 tourney win in 3 years?" -- "2 tourneys and one championship in 4 eligible years" is a much more accurate reflection of KOs career in my mind.

C

Chief00

BTW, I play div 3 basketball. The head coach also coaches girl basketball. He got several thousand in stipend for being the coach. There will be no Miller or Tom Moore on the bench unless they want to teach physical ed also. The quality of high school coach are generally bettet then a div 3 coach. The captains run the ship in d3

It's a little different if you have an opportunity to coach with Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Full court shot BS

Tulsa lost in the first round of the AAC--AND they were lower in the RPI than UConn before the tournament.

Still got a bid.
This is the Boneyard.....sound, rational thinking such as this has NO place here.

Reaction Score
It's a little different if you have an opportunity to coach with Jim Calhoun.
where is the money going to come from. 80 male students next yr, no tv contract. Only 100 people per game, most of them r friends n family. I am saying that they can't afford to pay for assistent coaches. The players are on their own. I am certain they will have a good team because people want to play for Calhoun. Just don't expect Moore to leave Rhode island to be a gym teacher at St Joseph

Reaction Score
My decoder ring says AD Dave reached out to Jimmy C because he's worried about the program. That got Jim's juices going again. Come home coach. Come. Home.
Please stop calling him Jimmy. My son and I were introduced to him by an ex player and my son called him Jim. The ex player about pooped his pants that someone would call him anything but coach. He should be called Coach Calhoun by all of us.

Reaction Score
Please stop calling him Jimmy. My son and I were introduced to him by an ex player and my son called him Jim. The ex player about pooped his pants that someone would call him anything but coach. He should be called Coach Calhoun by all of us.

I like saying JC cuz it sounds like he's in a boy band.

Reaction Score
Full court shot BS

Tulsa lost in the first round of the AAC--AND they were lower in the RPI than UConn before the tournament.

Still got a bid.
Say what you want but I remember the experts putting us in the "next four out" or "last four out." And im not just talking about Lunardi.

Reaction Score
2016 was a huge disappointment. Dont act like winning one tourney game in three seasons is even remotely acceptable.

Let's turn this one around and ask about 300 college coaches how they would feel about 1 National Championship in 4 years? Add that to your ""don't act like winning one tourney game in 3 seasons means anything" and see how many seasons a NC makes up for at most places. Obviously not here as it is quickly whisked away by some for whatever reason.

Don't act like 7 tourney wins in 4 seasons wouldn't mean a lot to most programs, many of which you would take their coach right now and replace KO with them? LOL

Reaction Score
Let's turn this one around and ask about 300 college coaches how they would feel about 1 National Championship in 4 years? Add that to your ""don't act like winning one tourney game in 3 seasons means anything" and see how many seasons a NC makes up for at most places. Obviously not here as it is quickly whisked away by some for whatever reason.

Don't act like 7 tourney wins in 4 seasons wouldn't mean a lot to most programs, many of which you would take their coach right now and replace KO with them? LOL
Youre comparing us to teams that we dont want to be compared to though. When you say "think about the other 300 teams" were in a different position than them. When Fairfield gets a tournement bid they get excited because they exceed THEIR expectations. UConn, being 4x champs our expectations are and should be higher than those other 300 teams. Its a different story at a smaller program.

Reaction Score
good for him! Keep going as long as possible. What a cool story for those kids - reminds me what Rolly Massamino did at that small Fla school

Reaction Score
Seems to me like you're cherry picking the years you want to count, to bolster your position. "1 tourney win in 3 years?" -- "2 tourneys and one championship in 4 eligible years" is a much more accurate reflection of KOs career in my mind.

KO did a great job his first two years. There is no disputing that.
But we both know that KO hasn't been the same since they won it all. The last three years when viewed as a whole have been a disaster.

Reaction Score
Perhaps as a stipulation upon choosing his successor, it was agreed that if said successor failed, JC would return to make things right again...

One can dream...

Reaction Score
Youre comparing us to teams that we dont want to be compared to though. When you say "think about the other 300 teams" were in a different position than them. When Fairfield gets a tournement bid they get excited because they exceed THEIR expectations. UConn, being 4x champs our expectations are and should be higher than those other 300 teams. Its a different story at a smaller program.

Well if you look at the statement in general you can cut it down any way you like it 429 - what teams would you like to ask if they'd be happy with 1 NC in the last 4 years? Ask their fans too while you're at it. Not sure how many would be happier where they stand the last 4.

Reaction Score
KO did a great job his first two years. There is no disputing that.
But we both know that KO hasn't been the same since they won it all. The last three years when viewed as a whole have been a disaster.

I'm happy JC is thinking about helping a budding program, you?

Let's stop the KO stuff right here in JC's thread huh?

All of us, me too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Full court shot BS

Still got a bid.

Every time that gets explained to them they forget it as soon as they need the line for the next prediction of the apocalypse.

Reaction Score
Say what you want but I remember the experts putting us in the "next four out" or "last four out." And im not just talking about Lunardi.

Explain Tulsa. 10-15 spots behind us in RPI.
Lost first game in the AAC tourney to a very weak team.

Reaction Score
Thought St. Joe's was an all-girl college? I'm out of touch.

At any rate, they don't even have a men's hoop team presently. Talk about program-building.

Reaction Score

He's had an excellent season, a pretty good season, a decent season, a mediocre season, and a very bad season.

He's basically 3 for 5. These discussions are all taking place after the very bad season.

C

Chief00

Hearing it's getting close to being official on the St Joe's end. Going for a drink to celebrate!
Been a great day of golf, spending time with friends and jumping on the BY as my phone's battery needs a charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom