Calhoun getting back into coaching? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Calhoun getting back into coaching?

Reaction Score
Do you understand how outlandish this statement is ... you fool.

Kevin Ollie won a National Championship. Do you understand the circle of men that have that qualifier. So saying that ... after this 15-17 ... I understand. But, he is far from the judgment that his years are a disappointment ... yet. This is the CRAZY corner many of you have backed your self into. I suspect this is just a result of many that have not broad experience.

Yes, Kevin Ollie won a championship in 2014. Since then the team has been mediocre at best and is never even ranked unless you include preseason rankings. That is a huge drop off from the elite program UConn was for a 25 year span.

What have you seen over the past 3 seasons that make you optimistic for the future under Ollie? I would guess the high point would be winning the AAC conference championship in 2016 despite a very mediocre regular season. Is that really enough to believe that Ollie van turn things around?

pj

Reaction Score
Is Jim Calhoun going to be coaching the St Joe's men or the women? Maybe he wants to one-up Geno.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My theory is that this is JC's way of giving Miller a hand up. Glen becomes Associate Head Coach, gets a paycheck and becomes a more desirable commodity. When Jim leaves Miller is SJ's natural choice, if he hasn't gone somewhere else. Jim gets to scratch the coaching itch in a setting that let's him do as much or as little as he wants.

I don't think this happened if Miller was still at UConn or found another job. Just a hunch.

pj

Reaction Score
My theory is that this is JC's way of giving Miller a hand up. Glen becomes Associate Head Coach, gets a paycheck and becomes a more desirable commodity. When Jim leaves Miller is SJ's natural choice, if he hasn't gone somewhere else. Jim gets to scratch the coaching itch in a setting that let's him do as much or as little as he wants.

I don't think this happened if Miller was still at UConn or found another job. Just a hunch.

Why wouldn't St Joe's just hire Miller now? Because they can't afford him, and anyway Miller wouldn't want to devalue himself as an ex-DI head coach going down to DIII. JC will help St Joe's as a charity gig, Miller needs an actual job.

Reaction Score

Its D3, there's no hidden strategy or agenda, an assistant coach at a D3 school that doesn't really have a basketball program is not a springboard into a D1 coaching gig AND if he wanted to Calhoun probably could help Miller get this or some other job if that was the goal.

The simple answer is the easiest, Calhoun misses coaching and wants back in on a small scale and can help St Joseph's in the process.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I thought Calhoun was being paid to advise our basketball team. What I would like to know is this, does JC met with Ollie weekly? does he attend any practices? does he discuss game planning? or give post game analysis? Does he evaluate our players?

You know, do the things a real world consultant would do.

I seriously doubt that Calhoun's UConn compensation is tied to any obligation to be Don Ollie's consigliori.

His $300k salary is likely based on fundraising for the athletic dept. If he happens to occasionally provide some advice and counsel to Ollie when it's solicited, that's a bonus of having him around, but no program is going to pay an ex-coach that kind of money as an obligation for him to hang around the locker room.

Dee Rowe has been collecting a UConn paycheck ever since he quit coaching the team. He wasn't being paid to be a coaching advisor either. He performs some functions as a fundraiser for the athletic dept., just like Calhoun does.

Reaction Score
I thought Calhoun was being paid to advise our basketball team. What I would like to know is this, does JC met with Ollie weekly? does he attend any practices? does he discuss game planning? or give post game analysis? Does he evaluate our players?

Can't help someone who wont accept it.

Reaction Score
How about Ollie go to St. Joe's and Calhoun returns back to where he belongs at UCONN.

The program needs Jim Calhoun's guidance way more at this crucial juncture. Ollie wants Killings and Chillious's advice instead of Calhoun's or Miller's. Those gimmick zones we played this year to "rest" players on defense were all Ollie and Killings ideas. Horrible coaching strategies and coaching is why Hobbs left as well.

PS: Alterique is not even the second best player on the team yet and most of you want him to be our lead guard and point guard with the rock in his hands most of the time. Its like taking the ball out of a junior Kemba(Adams) and letting freshman Boat(Rique) run the team and he in't even at Boat's level yet.This has disaster written all over it. Ollie needs to squash that talk and confirm/affirm Adams status as the lead guard and team leader with Vital as the secondary leader. Rique is a good player, but he is not there yet and doesnt have the voice or leadership qualities to overtake Jalen. He needs to learn to play off the ball a lot for this year in order to be effective and help the team.

We will not be good if Ollie keeps making this mistake.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How about Ollie go to St. Joe's and Calhoun returns back to where he belongs at UCONN.

The program needs Jim Calhoun's guidance way more at this crucial juncture. Ollie wants Killings and Chillious's advice instead of Calhoun's or Miller's. Those gimmick zones we played this year to "rest" players on defense were all Ollie and Killings ideas. Horrible coaching strategies and coaching is why Hobbs left as well.

PS: Alterique is not even the second best player on the team yet and most of you want him to be our lead guard and point guard with the rock in his hands most of the time. Its like taking the ball out of a junior Kemba(Adams) and letting freshman Boat(Rique) run the team and he in't even at Boat's level yet.This has disaster written all over it. Ollie needs to squash that talk and confirm/affirm Adams status as the lead guard and team leader with Vital as the secondary leader. Rique is a good player, but he is not there yet and doesnt have the voice or leadership qualities to overtake Jalen. He needs to learn to play off the ball a lot for this year in order to be effective and help the team.

Please Lord make the crazy man stop.

C

Chief00

Short answer - Mostly not anymore.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
this is a weird, weird thread

Not lately it isn't. No matter what the original topic, all threads end up being Ollie bashing free-for-alls. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been bashed yet in the OT Steak threads. I expected by now that somebody would have found out he's a vegetarian, exposing yet another one of his numerous, perceived character flaws. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not lately it isn't. No matter what the original topic, all threads end up being Ollie bashing free-for-alls. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been bashed yet in the OT Steak threads. I expected by now that somebody would have found out he's a vegetarian, exposing yet another one of his numerous, perceived character flaws. :rolleyes:
Ollie likes his steak well-done.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nope. He eats at Capital Grille, which means he overpays for his steak--with our money. He's basically laughing at us for overpaying him

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Calhoun coaching at a DIII school has absolutely no bearing on Ollie, Miller or UConn.

He is probably bored and can put in 10% of the time at a DIII school than he did at UConn.

It is still odd to me that he collects $300K/year from UConn, given that he does exactly what?

End of story though.

Reaction Score

Isn't the consensus that the gimmick zones were Miller's idea? And they were vastly more productive if you actually look at the numbers. Have @champs99and04 explain this to you. So basically, you are as incorrect as possible. I have to bite my tongue so I don't get banned but please put some thought into your posts. Or at least change your tone when you are just guessing.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Calhoun coaching at a DIII school has absolutely no bearing on Ollie, Miller or UConn.

He is probably bored and can put in 10% of the time at a DIII school than he did at UConn.

It is still odd to me that he collects $300K/year from UConn, given that he does exactly what?

End of story though.
His primary responsibility is to shake hands with high roller donors. So they get to tell their buddies at the country club 'Yeah, I was talking with Jimmy the other day and ...'

Reaction Score
Isn't the consensus that the gimmick zones were Miller's idea? And they were vastly more productive if you actually look at the numbers. Have @champs99and04 explain this to you. So basically, you are as incorrect as possible. I have to bite my tongue so I don't get banned but please put some thought into your posts. Or at least change your tone when you are just guessing.

His whole entire post was wrong. Ollie and Calhoun may have had a rough patch and not talk every day but they still talk and there is mutual respect. In fact 2 weeks ago Calhoun called Ollie to set up for an ex player to do some working out and be evaluated by James, trainer, while he was in town

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
His primary responsibility is to shake hands with high roller donors. So they get to tell their buddies at the country club 'Yeah, I was talking with Jimmy the other day and ...'

Is there a tangible benefit from that? Meaning these guys are actually donating because of Calhoun's current role with UConn?

Just seems odd to pay a former basketball coach a total that amounts like like a quarter of our takehome TV contract...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hmmm...the irreplaceable Coach Miller can't find a job.
Even Chief, who grilled him constantly is now a fan.
Funny days on the BY

Reaction Score
If JC want's to help out St. Joe's, there is no problem with that. Good for him.

But he is such an amazing asset, I am very curious if we are getting the full benefit of that? And I've never read a description of his role (and duties) at UConn. Or if one exists.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If JC want's to help out St. Joe's, there is no problem with that. Good for him.

But he is such an amazing asset, I am very curious if we are getting the full benefit of that? And I've never read a description of his role (and duties) at UConn. Or if one exists.
Figurehead. That's it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom