Calhoun getting back into coaching? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Calhoun getting back into coaching?

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that Calhoun's UConn compensation is tied to any obligation to be Don Ollie's consigliori.

His $300k salary is likely based on fundraising for the athletic dept. If he happens to occasionally provide some advice and counsel to Ollie when it's solicited, that's a bonus of having him around, but no program is going to pay an ex-coach that kind of money as an obligation for him to hang around the locker room.

Dee Rowe has been collecting a UConn paycheck ever since he quit coaching the team. He wasn't being paid to be a coaching advisor either. He performs some functions as a fundraiser for the athletic dept., just like Calhoun does.
UCONN raise over $230 million in the past 3 yrs. The endowment increase by 20% this yr alone n it's now more then $400 million. Coach Cal is very generous with his time n also raise money for the cardiology center. Not even sure he will take a salary for the St Joes gig. It's all about helping the local college as it expands

C

Chief00

Hmmm...the irreplaceable Coach Miller can't find a job.
Even Chief, who grilled him constantly is now a fan.
Funny days on the BY

Actually, I have always been consistent on Glen Miller. Good scouting, decent X&O's, good at tracking minutes/fouls/timeouts and great at tours of facilities. Quite frankly, I don't see him as a Bigs Coach or your point recruiter. Jim used his talents, KO used his weaknesses. Coach wouldn't agree with my assessment 100% and it's one of the few things we don't agree on. But, Chief always gives it to you as I see it.

C

Chief00

My theory is that this is JC's way of giving Miller a hand up. Glen becomes Associate Head Coach, gets a paycheck and becomes a more desirable commodity. When Jim leaves Miller is SJ's natural choice, if he hasn't gone somewhere else. Jim gets to scratch the coaching itch in a setting that let's him do as much or as little as he wants.

I don't think this happened if Miller was still at UConn or found another job. Just a hunch.

Yeah, I had posted about Miller and now Jeff Jacobs also apparently heard that rumor.

C

Chief00

Nope. He eats at Capital Grille, which means he overpays for his steak--with our money. He's basically laughing at us for overpaying him
I have been critical
Years ago Calhoun had 3 nuns that attended a lot of home games so they know him very well. My son asked if they are sending a translator to St Joe with Coach.
Those nuns were based in Meriden and were in a different order. But, your point is correct - Jim will handle the nuns just fine.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I thought you said he only gave the facilities tour and saw him as pretty much useless.
Either way, all those strong points have not gotten him a job. If Chill left, he would have a new job in 15 minutes. Just thought the people who want Chill gone and Miller back should notice.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Either way, all those strong points have not gotten him a job. If Chill left, he would have a new job in 15 minutes. Just thought the people who want Chill gone and Miller back should notice.

lmao who wants Chill gone? The guy just freakin got here. What has it been, 5 months? I mean seriously.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I predict that the "everything is fine" crowd will, some day, look back on this as a "sign that something was wrong".

Like what? He's being disloyal, or something is rotten behind the scenes at UConn?

It could be nothing more complicated than he feels like coaching again, and it gives him a low key, no pressure environment to do it in. I imagine he's giving up more money from his ESPN deal than they will pay him. That would tend to suggest he has a real desire to coach again. Also, if he was really pissed about things going on behind the scenes at UConn, it seems like this would be the perfect time to cut his UConn ties, if he were inclined to for any reason.

C

Chief00

Like what? He's being disloyal, or something is rotten behind the scenes at UConn?

It could be nothing more complicated than he feels like coaching again, and it gives him a low key, no pressure environment to do it in. I imagine he's giving up more money from his ESPN deal than they will pay him. That would tend to suggest he has a real desire to coach again. Also, if he was really pissed about things going on behind the scenes at UConn, it seems like this would be the perfect time to cut his UConn ties, if he were inclined to for any reason.

He's not voluntarily going to cut $300k per year for shaking hands, unless he was hired for a D1 level pay coaching job.

Reaction Score
If Ji

If Jim Calhoun was remotely involved with the program he built he would not have an interest in the Saint Joseph's job. He is a basketball lifer who loves being around the game and is not getting his fill.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If Ji

If Jim Calhoun was remotely involved with the program he built he would not have an interest in the Saint Joseph's job. He is a basketball lifer who loves being around the game and is not getting his fill.

It is different being an advisor, fund raiser and figure head than a coach. He wants to keep his role at UConn.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
How about Ollie go to St. Joe's and Calhoun returns back to where he belongs at UCONN.

The program needs Jim Calhoun's guidance way more at this crucial juncture. Ollie wants Killings and Chillious's advice instead of Calhoun's or Miller's. Those gimmick zones we played this year to "rest" players on defense were all Ollie and Killings ideas. Horrible coaching strategies and coaching is why Hobbs left as well.

PS: Alterique is not even the second best player on the team yet and most of you want him to be our lead guard and point guard with the rock in his hands most of the time. Its like taking the ball out of a junior Kemba(Adams) and letting freshman Boat(Rique) run the team and he in't even at Boat's level yet.This has disaster written all over it. Ollie needs to squash that talk and confirm/affirm Adams status as the lead guard and team leader with Vital as the secondary leader. Rique is a good player, but he is not there yet and doesnt have the voice or leadership qualities to overtake Jalen. He needs to learn to play off the ball a lot for this year in order to be effective and help the team.

We will not be good if Ollie keeps making this mistake.
I hate feeding trolls... but you do realize that they had like 6-7 scholarship players dressing at points last yr, right? I'd LOVE to see you play 40 mins of basketball without a breather. You'd have a heart attack.

Secondly - and maybe im wrong on this...but I don't think people want the ball out of Adams hands. They just want it also in AG's hands. There are plenty of possessions to go around. They need to figure out the chemistry with each other. Do you REALLY think it matters who takes the ball up? I really don't. They need to find that chemistry along with Larrier. I agree that Gilbert should defer to Adams in crunch time. I'm hoping they can work together and be effective. That's the goal. We don't need to put down Gilbert because he isn't as good as Adams.

Reaction Score
I hate feeding trolls... but you do realize that they had like 6-7 scholarship players dressing at points last yr, right? I'd LOVE to see you play 40 mins of basketball without a breather. You'd have a heart attack.

Secondly - and maybe im wrong on this...but I don't think people want the ball out of Adams hands. They just want it also in AG's hands. There are plenty of possessions to go around. They need to figure out the chemistry with each other. Do you REALLY think it matters who takes the ball up? I really don't. They need to find that chemistry along with Larrier. I agree that Gilbert should defer to Adams in crunch time. I'm hoping they can work together and be effective. That's the goal. We don't need to put down Gilbert because he isn't as good as Adams.
The reason they only had 6-7 scholarship players dressing at points last year was largely due to the fact that the head coach left 2 scholarships unfilled. That certainly made the injuries far more devastating than they would have been.

Reaction Score
The reason they only had 6-7 scholarship players dressing at points last year was largely due to the fact that the head coach left 2 scholarships unfilled. That certainly made the injuries far more devastating than they would have been.

Several times the same people making this argument criticized the coach for bringing on Whaley

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
My prediction is that JC will ultimately announce that he will not be coaching at St. Joe's. This was a PR move to help St. Joe's get some attention for their upstart program. Jeff Calhoun would make more sense than JC to coach a brand new D3 program.

Reaction Score
Several times the same people making this argument criticized the coach for bringing on Whaley

I would never make that argument. 13 scholarship players is always better than 11 scholarship players. Injury and fatigue insurance.

Reaction Score
I thought Calhoun was being paid to advise our basketball team. What I would like to know is this, does JC met with Ollie weekly? does he attend any practices? does he discuss game planning? or give post game analysis? Does he evaluate our players?

You know, do the things a real world consultant would do.
isn't he primarily a fundraiser?

C

Chief00

If JC want's to help out St. Joe's, there is no problem with that. Good for him.

But he is such an amazing asset, I am very curious if we are getting the full benefit of that? And I've never read a description of his role (and duties) at UConn. Or if one exists.
Someone can only be helped if they want to be.

Reaction Score
I hope coach Calhoun is serious about the job. St Joe's could use the publicity n jumbo start in their male student recruitment. They have several hundreds student in their graduate campus in the XL center. Coach Calhoun should at least take a no show job as director of basketball to help the school. Just don't troll a small school like that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom