Cal Post-Game | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cal Post-Game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For some reason I suspect that's not the whole story. Don't understand how a kid with that much experience can't figure it out as quickly as two raw freshmen. Especially with the need for rebounding help.
I too expected more out of Evelyn and I admit to being a little concerned that a player who was at her best vs P5 competition last year hasn’t been able to translate that into meaningful PT at UConn yet. For the time being I’ll remain optimistic that she will figure things out.

Reaction Score
Some of us had hoped that KY transfer, forward and Grad Student Batouly Camara, after suffering with chronic knee problems for the past two seasons might finally be able to contribute, but it appears that she will be out again with knee problems. In addition, Grad transfer Evelyn Adebayo from Murray State was also expected to contribute as a frontcourt backup, but so far she's still learning the ropes at UConn, and obviously didn't get off the bench yesterday. Finally, everyone loves senior guard Molly Bent, who gives 110% whenever she's on the floor, but against better competition she tends to be overmatched.

I remember the Adebayo pick up. Odd that she didn't play. That looked like a solid addition.

I keep forgetting Camara is there. She had such a good freshman year. Is she out for the year?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I remember the Adebayo pick up. Odd that she didn't play. That looked like a solid addition.

I keep forgetting Camara is there. She had such a good freshman year. Is she out for the year?
Don’t know about Touly’s availability this season. During the game vs Cal she was seated at the end of the bench across 3 chairs with her leg elevated. But one thing you have to love about Touly is her eternally positive attitude. She was cheering for her teammates and smiling whenever the camera scanned UConn’s bench.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Count me among my bodaciously spoiled fellow-posters who have elected to treat this opening game win as a loss. My despondency is compounded by the fact that, being a long-term Husky fan, I know better than to expect any improvement in the level of play whatsoever as the season progresses. That just never happens under this coaching staff. Yep, I join the others in throwing in the towel on the current season! Just being realistic!
Can't be more real than that.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Can't be more real than that.:rolleyes:
While this may be the worst executed (Geno said weird) game I can remember in years watching UConn, if a fifth player emerges scoring in double figures or dishing in high single digits, we can make the 8, if not final four. Or if Anna and Aubrey can combine or Evina is eligible.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Count me among my bodaciously spoiled fellow-posters who have elected to treat this opening game win as a loss. My despondency is compounded by the fact that, being a long-term Husky fan, I know better than to expect any improvement in the level of play whatsoever as the season progresses. That just never happens under this coaching staff. Yep, I join the others in throwing in the towel on the current season! Just being realistic!
I suspect we will have to put you on suicide watch in the coming weeks.

Reaction Score
Didn't see the game and have not had an opportunity to look at the replay as of yet. From the comments sounds like a clunker. They won so I can't be all that upset.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I can't tell whether some people took BigPetunia's post literally.

I just re-watched the game after attending in person yesterday. My general reaction is that reports of UConn's uncontrolled fall from the sky of WCBB are greatly exaggerated. It's easy to confuse bad shooting with bad play, and it appeared to me on a second viewing that UConn's offensive problems yesterday were related to bad shooting rather than failing to get good shots.

I counted 3 uncontested missed layups, plus one or two more that were somewhat contested but very makeable. I also observe that UConn was 13-21 on free throws. So between 6 points from layups and 4 more from free throws (if they make a reasonable 17 of 21), that is 10 points and a 22-point victory of 82-61. Better defense on Cal's one and only hot 3-point shooter (Anastasieska) might have reduced Cal's point total by as much as 6 points. That is low hanging fruit that they can clean up. Then if they can get the ball to move better on offense (through passing rather than just penetration by Crystal and Christyn), that would add further to the margin. I'm not sure that Anastasieska was identified in pre-game scouting as a major 3-point threat. If she had been, I think the defense would have been different.

I think the reason that Molly didn't play is that Crystal and Christyn were scoring successfully, and in that game, UConn needed every point. It would have been different if either of them were having a bad game.

I did see a number of good things in the replay, and I think they deserve to be pointed out:

1. ONO was making some "Dolsonic" passes -- better passes than I remember Stef herself making as a sophomore. One of the missed layups was on a beautiful backdoor pass from her to Crystal early in the game.

2. Aubrey was making some serious defensive plays, leaping to grab or deflect passes. That was her inner Gabby. She had some trouble keeping players in front of her on defense, but that will certainly come. Apparently this is the first time that she is being expected to do that.

3. I'm still not sure why Anna didn't get a few rebounds, but she was playing effective defense (staying in front of her man better than Aubrey, in my opinion) and getting steals and deflections. She played well in general even though she shot poorly. But I remember how KLS couldn't hit a 3-point shot to save her life for the first 8 or 10 games of her freshman year.

4. Christyn and Megan were scoring aggressively, which is exactly what the team needs them to do, particularly on a day when the passing offense isn't clicking for whatever reason. I'm beginning to think that will be one of the "reliables" for UConn this year, just as Napheesa's play in the paint was a "reliable" for UConn last year.

5. After a cold start, UConn outscored Cal by about 10 points in the paint, despite giving up size. Admittedly the Cal bigs weren't the most athletic big creatures in WCBB, but this is still a positive marker.

Reaction Score

I just re-watched the game after attending in person yesterday. My general reaction is that reports of UConn's uncontrolled fall from the sky of WCBB are greatly exaggerated. It's easy to confuse bad shooting with bad play, and it appeared to me on a second viewing that UConn's offensive problems yesterday were related to bad shooting rather than failing to get good shots.

I counted 3 uncontested missed layups, plus one or two more that were somewhat contested but very makeable. I also observe that UConn was 13-21 on free throws. So between 6 points from layups and 4 more from free throws (if they make a reasonable 17 of 21), that is 10 points and a 22-point victory of 82-61. Better defense on Cal's one and only hot 3-point shooter (Anastasieska) might have reduced Cal's point total by as much as 6 points. That is low hanging fruit that they can clean up. Then if they can get the ball to move better on offense (through passing rather than just penetration by Crystal and Christyn), that would add further to the margin. I'm not sure that Anastasieska was identified in pre-game scouting as a major 3-point threat. If she had been, I think the defense would have been different.

I think the reason that Molly didn't play is that Crystal and Christyn were scoring successfully, and in that game, UConn needed every point. It would have been different if either of them were having a bad game.

I did see a number of good things in the replay, and I think they deserve to be pointed out:

1. ONO was making some "Dolsonic" passes -- better passes than I remember Stef herself making as a sophomore. One of the missed layups was on a beautiful backdoor pass from her to Crystal early in the game.

2. Aubrey was making some serious defensive plays, leaping to grab or deflect passes. That was her inner Gabby. She had some trouble keeping players in front of her on defense, but that will certainly come. Apparently this is the first time that she is being expected to do that.

3. I'm still not sure why Anna didn't get a few rebounds, but she was playing effective defense (staying in front of her man better than Aubrey, in my opinion) and getting steals and deflections. She played well in general even though she shot poorly. But I remember how KLS couldn't hit a 3-point shot to save her life for the first 8 or 10 games of her freshman year.

4. Christyn and Megan were scoring aggressively, which is exactly what the team needs them to do, particularly on a day when the passing offense isn't clicking for whatever reason. I'm beginning to think that will be one of the "reliables" for UConn this year, just as Napheesa's play in the paint was a "reliable" for UConn last year.

5. After a cold start, UConn outscored Cal by about 10 points in the paint, despite giving up size. Admittedly the Cal bigs weren't the most athletic big creatures in WCBB, but this is still a positive marker.
Agree with you on #1 ONO. It's one thing for her to be able to look for and see those passes at this stage, and quite another to be able to put them on the money. Her upside is huge.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We really do need a sarcasm emoji

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
ONO was making some "Dolsonic" passes
Outstanding use of converting a player's name into and adjective to accurately express a performance. Requesting permission to use 'Dolsonic' in future posts. I'll probably drop the quotes

Reaction Score
Lol

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Great post, thanks Joe. I agree with all of your points. Depending on how you viewed the game as you said, yes there were some negatives, but there were also some positives as well. I'll bet a lunch that both of them were nervous for this game. That's behind them now. I really don't think the team will look this bad in 2 weeks.

By the time the Ohio State game is next up, most/all of the negative things we saw yesterday should have been corrected. Some folks are forgetting that this was Aubrey's first game against D-1 level competition. She never had to guard players with the speed and skill like see's seeing now in high school. Also, most of the players she's guarding are older, quicker and more experienced than she is. Just give her time to adjust to play at this level (and she will). She's a baller, she'll be fine. :cool:

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Outstanding use of converting a player's name into and adjective to accurately express a performance. Requesting permission to use 'Dolsonic' in future posts. I'll probably drop the quotes
Permission granted, but only with full attribution!

Reaction Score
Sort of odd that both South Carolina and UConn are playing road games at Temple and at Dayton.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Redshirt senior Batouly Camara underwent a successful scope on her left knee Monday morning (Nov 4), UConn announced Monday.
Camara, a 6-foot-2 forward and one of the Huskies’ four seniors, will have an expected recovery time of six to eight weeks. Camara has battled multiple injuries since transferring from Kentucky, where she played one year, to UConn in the spring of 2016. Since sitting out the 2016-17 season per NCAA transfer rules, Camara has missed significant time over the last two seasons dealing with knee issues, only appearing in 25 games last season after suffering from a right knee sprain.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Anna is a good shooter I hate to see what a bad one looks like.. :eek:

It is a weird situation which I hope corrects itself soon. We are not even hearing the usual she shoots well in practice but ...

I think we probably underestimated the transition from professional international player used to things in a very rigid system coming to UConn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But for a team that lacks depth as it is — four players scored all but two of UConn’s 72 points and the Huskies only have nine players available for the time being — the freshmen have no choice but to find ways to contribute moving forward, even if Auriemma doesn’t see them becoming major factors on offense.

“Well actually, they can [do it all],” Auriemma said of his ‘core four’ of Walker, Dangerfield, Williams, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. “Those four are going to take most of our shots. And there’s no getting around that, that’s not gonna change."

“We’re a lousy rebounding team,” Auriemma said. “I mean, when you think about it, they had 13 offensive rebounds, we had 12. So they’re probably sitting there going, ‘you know what, we gave Connecticut too many offensive rebounds.’ We’re not a great rebounding team."

Reaction Score
As I always say- You are never as bad as your worst game nor as good as your best. This was probably not one of Uconns best outings. But a reasonable person ( I guess that eliminates most sports fans) would wait a few games before coming to any real conclusions about the team or any of the individual players. That would also include about who was going to get better etc.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Charliebball said:
I understand your position but I mean are you saying that Crystal has to play every minute of every game where the opponent is within 15 points? There's simply no way to improve the situation if you don't get other players into the flow of the game on occasion.................if she can't sit for two minutes in a competitive game then there's a serious problem
@Charliebball - I didn't want to keep hijacking the DeBerry to UCONN thread, so i moved my comments over here. That's pretty much what I'm saying, but only to a degree. Against about 10 teams this year, Crystal will need to play 39+ minutes. Against everyone else, she can get breathers. The team will get better. Aubrey and especially Anna will relax and play better. Without a player of Evina's caliber and PG experience, the team is just not ready against a decent to good team to have Molly (or apparently Christyn for that matter) run the offense in the half court.

Cal was picked 10th in the Pac 12. Vandy was picked dead last in the SEC. Let's see how we do in our next game before we talk about trends or patterns, or who can/can't contribute in real games.

Maybe there will be a scenario where in an game NOT against Oregon or Baylor that Crystal can rest for 5-7 minutes in a game, but obviously it's not right now...

Reaction Score
@Charliebball - I didn't want to keep hijacking the DeBerry to UCONN thread, so i moved my comments over here. That's pretty much what I'm saying, but only to a degree. Against about 10 teams this year, Crystal will need to play 39+ minutes. Against everyone else, she can get breathers. The team will get better. Aubrey and especially Anna will relax and play better. Without a player of Evina's caliber and PG experience, the team is just not ready against a decent to good team to have Molly (or apparently Christyn for that matter) run the offense in the half court.

Cal was picked 10th in the Pac 12. Vandy was picked dead last in the SEC. Let's see how we do in our next game before we talk about trends or patterns, or who can/can't contribute in real games.

Maybe there will be a scenario where in an game NOT against Oregon or Baylor that Crystal can rest for 5-7 minutes in a game, but obviously it's not right now...

these starters are going to be one worn out bunch by the middle of the season if they don't get some quick breaks..........I think at a minimum Geno just has to take advantage of scheduled tv timeouts and pull one of the starters out to get a quick breather when the opportunity arises............

Reaction Score
Also, most of the players she's guarding are older, quicker and more experienced than she is. Just give her time to adjust to play at this level (and she will). She's a baller, she'll be fine. :cool:Attach files

Hey Carnac, I agree with you but I am not sure about the quicker part of it. That part of Aubrey's package is plug n' play.

Reaction Score
If Anna is a good shooter I hate to see what a bad one looks like.. :eek:
We haven’t seen her take enough shots, other than to note she drives to the basket well. Still, she plays decent defense and makes assists. Long range shooting will come with time and confidence (she made one out of what three or four tries in three games/exhibitions?)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The 2019-20 Huskies looked like the first four-player team in college basketball history with Final Four aspirations. Christyn Williams, Megan Walker, Crystal Dangerfield and Olivia Nelson-Ododa scored 70 of UConn’s 72 points and attempted 62 of the team’s 65 shots.

Still, Sunday’s performance was alarmingly shaky and lacking support. It almost had the feeling of something incomplete. The Huskies didn’t look like a team that needed some refining. It looked like a team that needed more players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom