Cal Post-Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cal Post-Game

Reaction Score
Actually, this is the year where playing in the American will help UConn. They should pile up a good win-loss record & finish in the Top 8 - a 2-seed. I'm impressed by both CW & MW - they are both playing at an All-American level & could carry the team in the Tourney. CD & ONO will also contribute. After that, Geno needs to work his magic. I was hoping freshman Aubrey could contribute as much as CW did last year. Not impressed by the rest of the newcomers. The Westbrook waiver decline really hurts the team. As of now, there is not much depth at all, and Geno has to hope someone steps up there game to contribute. Regardless, UConn should still be a 2-seed & anything can happen in the Tourney, especially with CW & MW on your team.

Depth? That's been a fact for a long time. Which player asked for volunteers that led to Pulido and ??? UConn has 9 useful players, more than most years. Maybe 3 of them have flaws but if they can play 15-20 mins each in AAC games the 6 really good layers can carry the load.

UConn has graduated lots of AA's so "replacing stars" isn't new.

So this year isn't unique in it's weaknesses from the last 10 years or so and yet every one of those teams got to the final four and one or two won it all. I look at the level of talent, the coaches and the consistent historical excellence and feel confident that barring injuries there aren't more than 2 teams with a better chance at the FF.

And believe me no one trashed today's performance more than I.

Reaction Score
I don't think so but today's team looked totally unprepared. As for the coaching, this roster is more talented than almost the entire rest of wcbb so some of it falls on them. And for those who say Liv needs time I say take a look at what Boston, a freshman, is doing against S Car., a much better team than Cal. Liv had an open layup blocked because she held the ball in 2 hands at her waist going up. And she gave up several offensive rebounds to players standing behind her. When you are 6'5" that shouldn't happen.
It looked like the team was more concerned with not making a mistake. Way too much thinking and far too little energy being expended.

On a positive note Walker and Williams were very good creating their own shots. And the assist total confirms that.
Your point about “way to much thinking” and “concerned with making a mistake “-
Could that be a reflection of having to learn playing UCONN BASKETBALL, resulting in overly cautious play and confusion at times?We know it takes time, practice and patience to get it.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Is it too early to say “wait til next year?”
Yeah. In the 3rd qr. I had to shoot over to the 2020 Hoop Gurlz Recruiting Rankings, to gleam a smidgen of hope to calm my nerves. Well, we know what we can expect from the Big 3; but Olivia looks fearless and this team isn't about to quit on us.

Reaction Score
Liv was terrific today. She was very active, passing extremely well, and going strong to the hoop. The SOPHOMORE player has made tremendous strides and her upside is evident
A balanced assessment based on one game against an average team:
-Pro: We would likely have lost game without her. Impressed by her energy entire game. Only "big" out there and played this role well.
-Con: Still not going strong to hoop and gets many of her layups blocked by smaller players. Still swats at ball when going for block. Lucky more fouls not called on her. More physical players push her out of play-needs to get stronger.

Reaction Score
Not to pile on, but I hope Irwin is not our permanent 5th-starter. She simply doesnt have the foot speed to defend or rebound effectively. She's also not a shooting threat and teams will leave her alone & double down on CW & MW. Geno's system only works if all 5 are threats and are contributing. If not (like today), the team will have to rely on 1-on-1 matchup advantages with CW & MW.

Irwin is an excellent 3 pt shooter and a fearless rebounder. Slowish for sure but I like her starting. Let her play as aggressive as she can. If she draws fouls so what? Better her than Ana picking up 2 in the 1st period.
But this team needs to push the ball on offense. Their half court offense is still gestating. Better to risk to's and let the speedballs run.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Depth? That's been a fact for a long time. Which player asked for volunteers that led to Pulido and ??? UConn has 9 useful players, more than most years. Maybe 3 of them have flaws but if they can play 15-20 mins each in AAC games the 6 really good layers can carry the load.

UConn has graduated lots of AA's so "replacing stars" isn't new.

So this year isn't unique in it's weaknesses from the last 10 years or so and yet every one of those teams got to the final four and one or two won it all. I look at the level of talent, the coaches and the consistent historical excellence and feel confident that barring injuries there aren't more than 2 teams with a better chance at the FF.

And believe me no one trashed today's performance more than I.
Stewie put out the request for walk-ons and got Pulido and Lawlor.

Reaction Score
Your point about “way to much thinking” and “concerned with making a mistake “-
Could that be a reflection of having to learn playing UCONN BASKETBALL, resulting in overly cautious play and confusion at times?We know it takes time, practice and patience to get it.

For sure. Practice is for thinking. Games are for executing. I think there was also a lot of performance anxiety today. The length of the press table. The crowd. The pressure of maintaining a tradition.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I am going to go with it was the first game of the season. We have only three returning starters from last year. We are counting on a sophomore bump from ONO and she didn't disappoint. We are also trying to integrate 3 new players (Griffin, Mukarat and Addebayo) along with two players who have only seen mop up time in their first three years. And finally, we have to also accept the very real possibility that Evina will not get her waiver approved. With that said...here is my observations mainly made from 30,000 feet (not really wanting to get into the weeds this early in the season).

MW and CW are already in mid-season form and they will get better.

Crystal in my opinion is still dealing with the after effects of her hip surgery and her lack of playing this summer...she will definitely get better...she was clutch in that first quarter...try to imagine how bad that quarter would have been without her 2 (3s) and her field goal (8 pts.).

ONO delivered today double / double with 3-4 blocks. She will continue to improve and I believe by March she will be an absolute beast.

Mukarat in Geno's words has hit a sort of wall...she has been withdrawing within herself because she hasn't been playing well in practice and in the exhibition games...Geno will talk to her this week...look to her pulling herself out of her slump...she is a professional...she will adapt.

Griffin is raw...she really is of the Gabby Williams mold...she will begin to harness her unbridled talent and she will get better...no...she will get a lot better.

Adebayo...don't have much to say on her except that she has played division I basketball, she was somewhat efficient in rebounding and scoring around the basket...so I can't really believe that she will remain MIA for the season...she will solve her problems.

I think Kyra will be able to give us some valuable minutes...she will be able to take the pressure off if or when ONO gets into foul trouble or needs a blow. She might ever get her confidence going and be good for one or two threes.

Botouly Camara may not be able to contribute much this season but whatever she is able to give us will be a bonus.

Molly will continue to be a UConn fan favorite were every person in the gym holds their breath during the last two minutes of the game hoping that Molly gets into the box score. My secret hope that she would be our own "Machine Gun Molly" has little chance of being fulfilled.

All and all...I think we will lose a couple or three games this season but we will be extremely tough to beat in March and April.

And then there is....Evina....one can only hope....

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the Cal game:
  • The game went about the way I thought it would. It wasn’t pretty but UConn got the win. In some ways, it reminded me a little of the 1st game of 2016-17 vs FL St when the Huskies needed a blocked shot by Pheesa in the last few seconds to hold onto a 2-pt win.
  • The Aussie for Cal is one hell of a shooter.
  • Clearly, Megan and Christyn will be depended on to take control on offense when the going gets tough.
  • Liv wasn’t perfect, but she did a little bit of everything, filled up the stat sheet and she wasn’t matched up against munchkins.
  • While Kyla started the game, I’m still not sure who the 5th starter is yet. Of the 3 candidates, Aubrey generally contributed the most IMO with her defense and rebounding.
Imo, Kyla earned that starting position... for her hard work, smarts, and attitude. She’s also been shooting very well, but never attempted a shot. I understand wanting to get something from the 2 freshmen, but neither gets the full offense yet. They need to get more movement and Kyla understands what Geno wants.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It does?
What I am talking about is execution. Neither Maryland or S. Carolina shot well or played well in other aspects of their game and it had nothing to do with the competition. There was poor ball handling, poor shot selection, missed open shots and just overall poor play. I'm disappointed at the attitude of so many Boneyarders. Some seem to have expected this team to be in mid-season form in their first game after playing only two DII teams. Just recently I read on this board that this team is going to be very good and will go the final four again. Now, all of a sudden, they don't have enough good players. Less than two weeks ago some said UConn will have a good bench. Now the bench is no better than it has been the past few years. people complained that UConn did not have players who can create their own shots. Today they had three players who created their own shots and people complained about that because other players stood around watching. Makurat is too slow, Griffin passed up an open shot. I feel for Muhl because if she does not develop an accurate shot she will be blasted. Expectations are too high too early. A poster predicted that next year's team will go undefeated, not stopping to think that the Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson team did not face, imo, the kind of competition that next year's team will be facing in the coming years. Baylor, South Carolina, Oregon State, Maryland and Stanford have more talent than the better teams Tuck's team faced. If they don't go undefeated, then every reason they lost will be pointed out. I believe UConn will have the talent to win another NC, but to go undefeated, that may be too much to expect.

Reaction Score
Imo, Kyla earned that starting position... for her hard work, smarts, and attitude. She’s also been shooting very well, but never attempted a shot. I understand wanting to get something from the 2 freshmen, but neither gets the full offense yet. They need to get more movement and Kyla understands what Geno wants.
Have been posting long enough to know each game gets maximum focus. That being said, UConn's primary goal has always been to be national champs. Love Kyla's hustle and commitment to be best she can be but in big games against top talent she is too slow to get shots and cant defend and rebound with taller players. Would rather see the newer players get their experienced as early as possible so they can compete when needed later in season.

Reaction Score
Just a question about the UConn roster.

It looks like you had four starters play basically the whole game with three players splitting the remaining minutes.

I know that Westbrook's appeal is pending, but is there anyone else that is out with injury or something that is supposed to give minutes?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a question about the UConn roster.

It looks like you had four starters play basically the whole game with three players splitting the remaining minutes.

I know that Westbrook's appeal is pending, but is there anyone else that is out with injury or something that is supposed to give minutes?
Some of us had hoped that KY transfer, forward and Grad Student Batouly Camara, after suffering with chronic knee problems for the past two seasons might finally be able to contribute, but it appears that she will be out again with knee problems. In addition, Grad transfer Evelyn Adebayo from Murray State was also expected to contribute as a frontcourt backup, but so far she's still learning the ropes at UConn, and obviously didn't get off the bench yesterday. Finally, everyone loves senior guard Molly Bent, who gives 110% whenever she's on the floor, but against better competition she tends to be overmatched.

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay of the game. Overall there were some positives and some surprising negatives.

positives: Megan and CW look confident. Missed a couple of layups but I like their look and and never looked out of control. ONO is much improved and I really think she really has the highest ceiling before end of regular season. If she can be a little bit more disciplined in defense and go stronger to the hoop I truly believe she can average 15 pts and 9reb.

negatives: CD was ok. She often times takes shots that make you shake your head and there’s just not enough penetrations layups or penetration dish. Also some odd plays like missing layups and passing ball to defender under their Basket. My hope is that she can improve her decision making and play making ability as the season goes on.
AG Looks smooth and athletic. I think she can average 8pts against AAC and hopefully give us 4pts against tougher competition. Finally I think the real unknown to me is Anna. She has solid skills but if she can’t make shots her liability on defense is concerning. If she can average 8 points for us which I think is reasonable that can mean final four for us. The others on bench don’t look like they can be relied on.

Reaction Score
Is Adebayo hurt or something? Can't understand how she gets 0 minutes if not. I thought she had a great chance to be the 5th starter this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is Adebayo hurt or something? Can't understand how she gets 0 minutes if not. I thought she had a great chance to be the 5th starter this year.
Evelyn is still figuring things out. Hopefully, that happens very soon.

Reaction Score

Figuring things out in terms of....adjusting to UConn in general? Or Geno's style?

Reaction Score
For some reason I suspect that's not the whole story. Don't understand how a kid with that much experience can't figure it out as quickly as two raw freshmen. Especially with the need for rebounding help.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Figuring things out in terms of....adjusting to UConn in general? Or Geno's style?
Yes to both, but also where she personally fits. At Murray St Evelyn was the best player on a bad team, so the offense revolved around her. At UConn, Evelyn has to learn how to fit in as a role player. That’s a pretty big adjustment to make.

Reaction Score
Count me among my bodaciously spoiled fellow-posters who have elected to treat this opening game win as a loss. My despondency is compounded by the fact that, being a long-term Husky fan, I know better than to expect any improvement in the level of play whatsoever as the season progresses. That just never happens under this coaching staff. Yep, I join the others in throwing in the towel on the current season! Just being realistic!

Reaction Score
Count me among my bodaciously spoiled fellow-posters who have elected to treat this opening game win as a loss. My despondency is compounded by the fact that, being a long-term Husky fan, I know better than to expect any improvement in the level of play whatsoever as the season progresses. That just never happens under this coaching staff. Yep, I join the others in throwing in the towel on the current season! Just being realistic!

See you next year. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom