Cal Post-Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cal Post-Game

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The difference in the game right now is the play of Aliyah Boston, who has dominated the paint with MD's Austin on the bench with foul problems.......sigh...….

Yeah, Boston's going to be terrific.

Reaction Score
I was hoping that this team would have done a better job of figuring out what life after Pheesa & Lou would look like, and maybe that's an unrealistic expectation in game one. Again, after the Big 3 left, UConn very nearly lost their first game the following year vs FL St, and that team went 38-1. For now, I'm going to be patient. I think Geno will figure things out and I still expect UConn to make it back to their 13th straight FF.

That Fla St team was ranked 12th in country and was at home. Cal is 11th in the PAC12 and at UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That Fla St team was ranked 12th in country and was at home. Cal is 11th in the PAC12 and at UConn.
So what exactly is your point? UConn is terrible and Geno can't coach? I've watched the entire MD-SC game and even though they are playing better competition than UConn, the execution by both teams ranked in the top 10 was absolutely terrible. It's the first game. Have a little patience. If UConn is still playing like this after Jan 1, I'll be concerned.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I've watched the entire MD-SC game and even though they are playing better competition than UConn, the execution by both teams ranked in the top 10 was absolutely terrible. It's the first game. Have a little patience. If UConn is still playing like this after Jan 1, I'll be concerned.

I'm fine with patience but realize South Carolina and Maryland are relying heavily on freshmen. UConn's two freshmen are supposed to be depth players, and the one we're told is not really a freshman anyway.

Reaction Score
I expect UConn to win more, but a win is a win. Anna and Aubrey need to do better offense they both scored only 1 pt., not good enough
What happened to molly Bent?

Reaction Score
That was always going to be the case. The one saving grace was supposed to be Adebayo but she's MIA so far.

I went and was hoping to see her as well as we are not a deep team either numerically or by talent.

I did see some positive things, but they were the expected without real surprises. Overall in my non-expert eye it was an ugly game. Cal had a couple worthy players who contributed far more than expected fair share of damage on UConn. Cal appeared awkward to me, not particularly fluid or athletic & maybe that can mess with a good team's timing.

In my view UConn did not step up and most of the time looked lackluster. I like ONO's improvement, but she still fouls (did a couple great blocks though). Most of the game was less than a 10 point deficit.

Early yes & I am very happy to be a fan live sometimes and over the TV/computer the rest. I don't think it incorrect to address legitimate weaknesses & hope for improvement.

Reaction Score
Side note - I'm sitting here watching MD vs SC, The Gamecocks are up 13 in the 2nd half, but with both teams playing their 2nd game of the season I'm watching lots of missed shots, including missed layups, turnovers and all-around sloppy play. The difference in the game right now is the play of Aliyah Boston, who has dominated the paint with MD's Austin on the bench with foul problems.......sigh...….
You just stuck a dagger in me when you mentioned Boston. I can still see her sitting in the gym watching the UConn game during the virgin island tournament. There were either one or two days before the early signing period and then she signed with South Carolin. Imagine a front court with her and ONO playing together for the next 3 years. I know we have Amari coming but if my math is correct she and ONO will only have one year to play together. That’s assuming she is as good as they make her out to be and she earns a starting position and is not just a backup to ONO. I’m sure Geno was in shock when she told him.

Reaction Score
UConn missed a lot of easy shots early and Cal made a lot of shots late. The issue I have is that Geno has said publicly that UConn will have to out score the opponents because the defense is bad, the "fifth players" played 47 minutes and shot 3 times.

Reaction Score
Liv was terrific today. She was very active, passing extremely well, and going strong to the hoop. The SOPHOMORE player has made tremendous strides and her upside is evident

she's more then capable of averaging a double double this season and I was heartened to see her new found aggression on offense................she has a better then average mid range game and if she continues to display it that will only make her inside play more effective.......

Reaction Score
It's the first game so we shouldn't be so critical, but let's address a few things... First, Crystal and Olivia were a combined 9 for 29 shooting, that's gotta improve, especially Crystal (5/14) as a senior, and I'm sure it will. The freshman will improve but they only took 3 shots, by contrast Megan started the game 0 for 6. They have to be given more opportunity to contribute, and Kyla not taking any shots doesn't help. As for Maryland, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Florida State... Baylor, none of them have the perimeter talent we have and they didn't even really try in some games. Lots of forced layups, which means a lack of faith in their shot or the inability to determine when to pull up for one. Either way, that makes them one dimensional and helps us. Oregon is in a league of its own right now, but I'd say we are the team closest to having the ability to score on all 3 levels. The Maryland/South Carolina game wasn't so bad because of the competition was so great, it was horrible because only 1 or 2 players showed any ability or initiative to score outside the paint. And as long as that's how they play, we will have the upper hand in playing those teams, even while we are short on talent and experience. Go HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
As for Maryland, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Florida State... Baylor, none of them have the perimeter talent we have and they didn't even really try in some games. Lots of forced layups, which means a lack of faith in their shot or the inability to determine when to pull up for one. Either way, that makes them one dimensional and helps us. Oregon is in a league of its own right now, but I'd say we are the team closest to having the ability to score on all 3 levels. The Maryland/South Carolina game wasn't so bad because of the competition was so great, it was horrible because only 1 or 2 players showed any ability or initiative to score outside the paint. And as long as that's how they play, we will have the upper hand in playing those teams, even while we are short on talent and experience. Go HUSKIES!

AGREED Najee. No other team in the country boasts a perimeter that includes two #1’s and a #3 player out of HS. 1-3 we’re the best in the nation IMO as a collective and I expect most other teams can’t match us, for right now I will say definitely Oregon because of Sabrina & co, and maybe Stanford based off their play vs. Team USA. I’m not too worried about SCar or the Terps (overranked), that game was terrible! We do need to hit consistently from 3 in those games and the tourney because Liv isn’t a banger and I don’t expect her to become one over the season either. It’s just not in her. We have to be realistic and stop hoping she turns into something she just isn’t.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I tend to agree, unless Evina's waiver is granted. While I love Aubrey's hustle and tenacity, I was bothered by the fact that she had a wide open 3 and passed it up. I've seen enough of Aubrey in HS to know she can make 3-pt shots. Wish she let that one fly.

I noticed that too. She’s got to have the moxie and confidence to take that shot when the defense gives it to her.

Reaction Score
The bench had 2 points.

More? Apparently the entire team has been told to go under all screens when a 3 pt shooter has the ball.

More? UConn MISSED 12 of 23 layups!!!! That's bad for an 8th grade team.

More? 13-21 at the ft line.

Finally: What really stunk was all the standing around and lack of motion. Honestly, it looked to me like Westbrook has convinced Geno to hire Holly Warlick to redesign the UConn offense. Too harsh?
I’m glad somebody finally said it! That seems like something UConn has struggled with for the past couple of seasons. They also seem to help off of 3pt shooters and that can’t be by design (if it is, then wow do we need a new coach!). But I’m sure the defense will get better like it usually does by the end of the year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
AGREED Najee. No other team in the country boasts a perimeter that includes two #1’s and a #3 player out of HS. 1-3 we’re the best in the nation IMO as a collective and I expect most other teams can’t match us, for right now I will say definitely Oregon because of Sabrina & co, and maybe Stanford based off their play vs. Team USA. I’m not too worried about SCar or the Terps (overranked), that game was terrible! We do need to hit consistently from 3 in those games and the tourney because Liv isn’t a banger and I don’t expect her to become one over the season either. It’s just not in her. We have to be realistic and stop hoping she turns into something she just isn’t.

Liv is not a banger!!

Reaction Score
So what exactly is your point? UConn is terrible and Geno can't coach? I've watched the entire MD-SC game and even though they are playing better competition than UConn, the execution by both teams ranked in the top 10 was absolutely terrible. It's the first game. Have a little patience. If UConn is still playing like this after Jan 1, I'll be concerned.

My point is that TODAY, UConn was terrible. And I refuse to judge them in comparison to Maryland. That is just excusing them.
I put a lot of it on allowing a 2 man game to dominate their offense last year.
I am used to watching UConn pass and cut. Today I saw pass and stand still. I expect them to get a lot better but today was ugly and even a tube of lipstick doesn't help. Example: 12 pts in transition.

Reaction Score
As Geno said after the game, the team looked tired. That said, I was impressed that they didn't seem rattled by their inability to run offense and make shots. I compare this to the Florida State opener a few years back where players getting flustered and being unable to follow Geno's instructions nearly cost them the game. I think the offense will come when timing gets better with practice. I saw a lot of almost really good plays today. Guarding three point shooters has been a problem for several years now. We need to learn from the Moriah Jefferson school of defense: if they can't get the ball, they can't shoot it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I noticed that too. She’s got to have the moxie and confidence to take that shot when the defense gives it to her.
On the other hand, Aubrey showed absolutely no hesitation when she raced in from the left side to attack the basket against Cal’s 6’7”
Post. Aubrey’s shot was blocked, but she certainly showed no fear.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My point is that TODAY, UConn was terrible. And I refuse to judge them in comparison to Maryland. That is just excusing them.
I put a lot of it on allowing a 2 man game to dominate their offense last year.
I am used to watching UConn pass and cut. Today I saw pass and stand still. I expect them to get a lot better but today was ugly and even a tube of lipstick doesn't help. Example: 12 pts in transition.
OK. You’ve made your point. I disagree. Let’s move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom