Cal Post-Game | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Cal Post-Game

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the Cal game:
  • The game went about the way I thought it would. It wasn’t pretty but UConn got the win. In some ways, it reminded me a little of the 1st game of 2016-17 vs FL St when the Huskies needed a blocked shot by Pheesa in the last few seconds to hold onto a 2-pt win.
  • The Aussie for Cal is one hell of a shooter.
  • Clearly, Megan and Christyn will be depended on to take control on offense when the going gets tough.
  • Liv wasn’t perfect, but she did a little bit of everything, filled up the stat sheet and she wasn’t matched up against munchkins.
  • While Kyla started the game, I’m still not sure who the 5th starter is yet. Of the 3 candidates, Aubrey generally contributed the most IMO with her defense and rebounding.
I agree with you , Dude. The fifth starter, if we are to progress as a viable competitor in the tournament, will not be ( cannot be ) Kyla. She played like she did as a freshman....pretty much invisible, but with " little harm done." I was hoping for more confidence, more polished shooting skills ( she can hit threes ), and a more active contribution. Mostly, she was just taking up space. I was surprised that he made Danger play 40 minutes ( maybe she was off and I missed it ). But not 30 seconds for Molly, and the PG transfer from Murray state is ( in my view ) already "dead in the water." Geno made a comment about her not being accustomed to the speed and pace with which Uconn plays. In other words, Murray State is not UConn. I don't think we'll see her at all unless there is a blowout. I saw the same good defense from Aubrey that you mentioned. It will take a couple months for the game to slow down for her, but she looks to be a talent. Nonetheless, if the NCAA keeps Westbrook in the unavailable category, we are going to struggle. One key injury and the lights go out. Not sure what we have in the player I call, " Poland." She looks a bit slow, possibly overweight, and she did not shine in any dimension of the game. We'll give a pass to first game nerves. But she is not immediately reminiscent of Svetlana, is she?

Reaction Score
Agreed. I'm the "self proclaimed" president of the Olivia Nelson-Ododa fan club. ;) I paid particular attention to her and Griffin while they were on the floor. ONO's play and decision making will get better as she gets comfortable operating from the top of the key. At some point, I expect to see her start hitting jumpers from there like Dolson used to. Her passing was was very good from there today, and will only get better as the season rolls along.
She must start hitting this outside shots. Otherwise, the moment she moves out of the lane, no one will bother guarding her. Which means someone else can be doubled. She looks to have a good stroke, but she was off. To be great, she must become a fearsome outside shooter.

Reaction Score
struck by lack of passing and off ball movement. lots of one on one iso type stuff. anyone know if this is by design?

Reaction Score
It's possible to
But for a team that lacks depth as it is — four players scored all but two of UConn’s 72 points and the Huskies only have nine players available for the time being — the freshmen have no choice but to find ways to contribute moving forward, even if Auriemma doesn’t see them becoming major factors on offense.

“Well actually, they can [do it all],” Auriemma said of his ‘core four’ of Walker, Dangerfield, Williams, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. “Those four are going to take most of our shots. And there’s no getting around that, that’s not gonna change."

“We’re a lousy rebounding team,” Auriemma said. “I mean, when you think about it, they had 13 offensive rebounds, we had 12. So they’re probably sitting there going, ‘you know what, we gave Connecticut too many offensive rebounds.’ We’re not a great rebounding team."

Just a guess but I'd say that in every NC season a "core 4" scored most of the points.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It's possible to

Just a guess but I'd say that in every NC season a "core 4" scored most of the points.

Most of the better UConn teams had more than four players contributing which is basically all that contributed yesterday, and that was against subpar competition.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One thing all Boneyarders should keep in mind: Geno talked recently about 3-point shooting and attacking the basket. He noted that the old-fashioned 3-point play counts as much as a shot from the arc. He said his players would be attacking the basket more this season in an attempt to get points and foul calls. He has Christyn, Megan, Aubrey, and possibly Evina, all of whom are good at taking the ball to the rack. Given the change in offensive strategy, I think we should expect fewer assists than normal this season. Look for more drives and fewer jump shots.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hey Carnac, I agree with you but I am not sure about the quicker part of it. That part of Aubrey's package is plug n' play.

Against most guards, yes. I don’t know who they are, but I was thinking of the small “cat quick” type guards (Moriah Jefferson type) in D1 she can’t stay with.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Most of the better UConn teams had more than four players contributing which is basically all that contributed yesterday, and that was against subpar competition.
So what’s been your point? You’re quoting all the negative parts of articles and saying how bad the game was. Is that the point, that they had a game that disappointed you? If so, can’t you just say that rather than drag it out over several posts?

(asking for a friend)

Reaction Score
Imo, Kyla earned that starting position... for her hard work, smarts, and attitude. She’s also been shooting very well, but never attempted a shot. I understand wanting to get something from the 2 freshmen, but neither gets the full offense yet. They need to get more movement and Kyla understands what Geno wants.
not only that but Irwin seems to be a top notch teammate, liked by the whole team. that enthusiasm and spirit should not be understated

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
struck by lack of passing and off ball movement. lots of one on one iso type stuff. anyone know if this is by design?
Geno would know...along with all the Geno assistants here on the BY.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She must start hitting this outside shots. Otherwise, the moment she moves out of the lane, no one will bother guarding her. Which means someone else can be doubled. She looks to have a good stroke, but she was off. To be great, she must become a fearsome outside shooter.

I’d like to see her either turn quickly and attack the basket (lay up), or turn, go straight up and bank it in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom