Cal Post-Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cal Post-Game

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
People complain about Liv slapping down on shots. A player should be able to swipe at shots like she does. If there is no contact, a foul should not be called. The refs should get better at watching more closely.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Agreed. I'm the "self proclaimed" president of the Olivia Nelson-Ododa fan club. ;) I paid particular attention to her and Griffin while they were on the floor. ONO's play and decision making will get better as she gets comfortable operating from the top of the key. At some point, I expect to see her start hitting jumpers from there like Dolson used to. Her passing was was very good from there today, and will only get better as the season rolls along.
She scored the game’s first points on a jumper from the elbow.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The bench had 2 points.

More? Apparently the entire team has been told to go under all screens when a 3 pt shooter has the ball.

More? UConn MISSED 12 of 23 layups!!!! That's bad for an 8th grade team.

More? 13-21 at the ft line.

Finally: What really stunk was all the standing around and lack of motion. Honestly, it looked to me like Westbrook has convinced Geno to hire Holly Warlick to redesign the UConn offense. Too harsh?
Yes, too harsh. Unfortunately, we've been spoiled by watching UConn usually come out smoking in game one through the years, although that's not always the case, as I pointed out in my OP. Most teams line up a cupcake or two to start the season. UConn never does. I'm reasonably confident that the Huskies will be a whole lot better in their second game.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I'm the "self proclaimed" president of the Olivia Nelson-Ododa fan club. ;) I paid particular attention to her and Griffin while they were on the floor. ONO's play and decision making will get better as she gets comfortable operating from the top of the key. At some point, I expect to see her start hitting jumpers from there like Dolson used to. Her passing was was very good from there today, and will only get better as the season rolls along.

Agree. At one point Megan said she shouldn't take that open sot from the top of the key but if she is going to be effective from the high post she has to shoot and make those or the defense will just sag her defender down and take away the pass down low.

Reaction Score
Interesting, I saw Anna, not Aubrey, as a force.
Let’s hope Erving gets her waiver approved and becomes our fifth starter otherwise we are screwed. It looks like the starters, no matter who they turn out to be, are going to have to play most of the game. Not much help coming from the bench, same as last year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not much help coming from the bench, same as last year.

That was always going to be the case. The one saving grace was supposed to be Adebayo but she's MIA so far.

Reaction Score
Let’s hope Erving gets her waiver approved and becomes our fifth starter otherwise we are screwed. It looks like the starters, no matter who they turn out to be, are going to have to play most of the game. Not much help coming from the bench, same as last year.

Possibly, but I'm not sure if any definitive conclusions can be made after one game. Especially since it was Anna and Aubrey's first game at this level.

Reaction Score
I liked what I saw. I didn't see either exhibition game.

Olivia did some Dolsonesque passing and she's much stronger this year. She keeps getting smoother and more efficient as well.

Megan showed a lot on both ends. I like the new, slimmer, sleeker version of her she's sporting this year.

They're athletic at all positions.

Aubrey is going to set a new standard for outrageous, physical stuff before her career is over. A few times I thought she was going to go for a dunk. She did look lost at times, but as the game went on I thought she looked more comfortable.

It seems to me the jump shots Christyn misses are shots she arches too high. Just a thought. Conversely, I think the jump shots Megan misses are shots on a flatter arc than the ones she hits. Again, just a thought.

Crystal is solid as a rock. I noticed a hitch in her lateral movement at times though. I hope it's nothing. She is such a waterbug.

Anna didn't show much but I like the way she gallops up the court. She will only get better as she adjusts to US college basketball. I hear she can shoot. She can definitely move bodies around inside when she wants.

As long as the players have ears and Geno, et al don't go mute, they'll only get better and better. The few UConn teams in the past which have shown early promise and plateaued toward the end of the season invariably had weak spots and/or lacked athleticism. I don't foresee either of those problems with this group.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the Cal game:
  • The game went about the way I thought it would. It wasn’t pretty but UConn got the win. In some ways, it reminded me a little of the 1st game of 2016-17 vs FL St when the Huskies needed a blocked shot by Pheesa in the last few seconds to hold onto a 2-pt win.
  • The Aussie for Cal is one hell of a shooter.
  • Clearly, Megan and Christyn will be depended on to take control on offense when the going gets tough.
  • Liv wasn’t perfect, but she did a little bit of everything, filled up the stat sheet and she wasn’t matched up against munchkins.
  • While Kyla started the game, I’m still not sure who the 5th starter is yet. Of the 3 candidates, Aubrey generally contributed the most IMO with her defense and rebounding.
That (Kyla starting) was a perk to a Senior. Kyla wasn't lost in this game but didn't fill up the stat sheets either. She filled the role she was given to play.
I thought he may have started Molly in the second half, but who know.
Chen and a number of Cals kids including the Aussie, as you mentioned, are better that good players. By April this Cal team may be up there.
Geno apparently thinks A. Mukurat has the most potential didn't she get the most time of the 3?
Griffin will take longer than Mukurat to be real contributor, she is after all a true Freshman. (No pro experience)

Reaction Score
That was always going to be the case. The one saving grace was supposed to be Adebayo but she's MIA so far.
I heard a lot in the preseason about how good Irwin and Bent looked and how they were expected to provide depth off the bench. Irwin played 11 minutes and did not score and Bent didn’t even get in the game. They are still both garbage time players as far as I’m concerned.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By the way, did everyone notice there was a period during the first half when Liv was on the bench when Aubrey was guarding Cal's center, and not on a switch. Can you say Gabby Williams? :)

Reaction Score
Yes, too harsh. Unfortunately, we've been spoiled by watching UConn usually come out smoking in game one through the years, although that's not always the case, as I pointed out in my OP. Most teams line up a cupcake or two to start the season. UConn never does. I'm reasonably confident that the Huskies will be a whole lot better in their second game.

Sorry but the gap between "come out smoking" and what I saw today was as wide as the Grand Canyon. I'm talking fundamentals, layups, fighting through screens, free throws. Cal had more assists than UConn And whenever Walker or Williams had the ball the other 4 seemed to stop to watch them. That's lady vol basketball.
And maybe Cal isn't the Sisters of the Poor, but they are picked at the bottom of the PAC-12, and even more inexperienced than UConn.
It looked like UConn was totally unprepared for Cal's defense, which switch a lot from zone to mtm to what looked like a triangle and 2. And that falls on the UConn coaches.

UConn plays away 9 of their next 11 games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That 5th starter spot just might be a game time decision until someone steps up and claims it. We need more production from that spot than we got today. I thought Aubrey did well in her first game against Div 1 competition. The more she plays, the faster the game will slow down for her, and the more confident she will become.

The answer to the question of who will replace the scoring of Pheesa and Lou is..............................Christyn and Megan. With additional help and support from Dangerfield. It was touch and go for ONO today, but she notched her first double-double of the season against a player that was taller, older and much more experienced.

I'll wait until after the Ohio State game (5th game) to draw any conclusions. Should be an interesting film session tomorrow for the team. ONO had several nice blocks today, but she MUST employ a different technique. That "fly swatting" technique she uses has to go. She can't stay on the floor long using it.

I think Griffin will eventually be the 5th starter, she is a little lost right now but she plays good defense and will learn to be a solid rebounder. Makurat was really exposed by the athleticism of the US game today, she was beaten off the dribble multiple times.

Reaction Score
Anna's stat line = 1 pt, 2A, 1TO
Aubrey's stat line = 1 pt. 0A, 2RB, 2BL, 2ST, 0TO
I guess officially but I saw Anna make what I would consider a steal and passed well plus followed the ball. But I realize everyone is high on Aubrey, deservedly so, but Anna will gradually take over. It’s presence I see. Now she has to do more with that presence.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry but the gap between "come out smoking" and what I saw today was as wide as the Grand Canyon. I'm talking fundamentals, layups, fighting through screens, free throws. Cal had more assists than UConn And whenever Walker or Williams had the ball the other 4 seemed to stop to watch them. That's lady vol basketball.
And maybe Cal isn't the Sisters of the Poor, but they are picked at the bottom of the PAC-12, and even more inexperienced than UConn.
It looked like UConn was totally unprepared for Cal's defense, which switch a lot from zone to mtm to what looked like a box and 3. And that falls on the UConn coaches.

UConn plays away 9 of their next 11 games.
So evidently Geno has completely forgotten how to coach. :oops:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Anna's stat line = 1 pt, 2A, 1TO
Aubrey's stat line = 1 pt. 0A, 2RB, 2BL, 2ST, 0TO
Worse was Anna inability to stay in front of her man on defense. She was beaten to her right way too often. Patience everyone, this is indeed a work in progress. I would really like to see Adebayo help off the bench on the frontlines.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Griffin will eventually be the 5th starter, she is a little lost right now but she plays good defense and will learn to be a solid rebounder. Makurat was really exposed by the athleticism of the US game today, she was beaten off the dribble multiple times.
I tend to agree, unless Evina's waiver is granted. While I love Aubrey's hustle and tenacity, I was bothered by the fact that she had a wide open 3 and passed it up. I've seen enough of Aubrey in HS to know she can make 3-pt shots. Wish she let that one fly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Side note - I'm sitting here watching MD vs SC, The Gamecocks are up 13 in the 2nd half, but with both teams playing their 2nd game of the season I'm watching lots of missed shots, including missed layups, turnovers and all-around sloppy play. The difference in the game right now is the play of Aliyah Boston, who has dominated the paint with MD's Austin on the bench with foul problems.......sigh...….

Reaction Score
Side note - I'm sitting here watching MD vs SC, The Gamecocks are up 13 in the 2nd half, but with both teams playing their 2nd game of the season I'm watching lots of missed shots, including missed layups, turnovers and all-around sloppy play. The difference in the game right now is the play of Aliyah Boston, who has dominated the paint with MD's Austin on the bench with foul problems.......sigh...….

Just as Dawn's teams typically are....SC has no shooters. Looking forward to seeing ONO vs Boston though!

Reaction Score
So evidently Geno has completely forgotten how to coach. :oops:

I don't think so but today's team looked totally unprepared. As for the coaching, this roster is more talented than almost the entire rest of wcbb so some of it falls on them. And for those who say Liv needs time I say take a look at what Boston, a freshman, is doing against S Car., a much better team than Cal. Liv had an open layup blocked because she held the ball in 2 hands at her waist going up. And she gave up several offensive rebounds to players standing behind her. When you are 6'5" that shouldn't happen.
It looked like the team was more concerned with not making a mistake. Way too much thinking and far too little energy being expended.

On a positive note Walker and Williams were very good creating their own shots. And the assist total confirms that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think so but today's team looked totally unprepared. As for the coaching, this roster is more talented than almost the entire rest of wcbb so some of it falls on them. And for those who say Liv needs time I say take a look at what Boston, a freshman, is doing against S Car., a much better team than Cal. Liv had an open layup blocked because she held the ball in 2 hands at her waist going up. And she gave up several offensive rebounds to players standing behind her. When you are 6'5" that shouldn't happen.
It looked like the team was more concerned with not making a mistake. Way too much thinking and far too little energy being expended.

On a positive note Walker and Williams were very good creating their own shots. And the assist total confirms that.
I was hoping that this team would have done a better job of figuring out what life after Pheesa & Lou would look like, and maybe that's an unrealistic expectation in game one. Again, after the Big 3 left, UConn very nearly lost their first game the following year vs FL St, and that team went 38-1. For now, I'm going to be patient. I think Geno will figure things out and I still expect UConn to make it back to their 13th straight FF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom