Cal Post-Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cal Post-Game

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I tend to agree, unless Evina's waiver is granted. While I love Aubrey's hustle and tenacity, I was bothered by the fact that she had a wide open 3 and passed it up. I've seen enough of Aubrey in HS to know she can make 3-pt shots. Wish she let that one fly.
Yes, one of the positives I drew from watching the game is that I believe Aubrey is going to be a very, very good player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is it too early to say “wait til next year?”

C’mon Dokey, you’re better than that. Yes it’s too early. You’re asking that question after one game? It's way too early. It’s only one game. Keep those shovels and that coffin away from these young ladies.

There’s still breath and lots of life in this body. One game does not a season make. Next up: Vandy in Nashville on Wednesday. Let’s see what they look like then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
wow........................the players look and act like they lost the game by 25 points.........................perfection is a rare commodity.....................a perfect example of why many chose to play for less demanding college teams.........

Yeah, the players look/sounded like they just lost instead of won the game.

Reaction Score
Few observations:

1. This was Anna and Aubrey's first D1 game. Not sure if the previous games against inferior (D2) opponents prepared them for this game. Still really hoping for Evina to get cleared this week as I really dont see anyone being able to contribute as much as she could..
2. Christyn and Meghan looked very good. Liv pretty solid.
3. One big concern is rebounding when Liv is out (wither for rest or foul trouble).
4. Cal penetrated very easily against us and got way too many open 3's.

Next game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Players Postgame (Cal)

Notice that none of the girls looked happy about being there and having to answer some of the thoughtless questions that were put to them. Looking at them, you would have thought they lost. That’s one of the things I like about Doris Burke. She (like retired Dodger broadcaster Vin Scully) asks intelligent and thoughtful questions that don’t put the player on the spot, or require an answer that would put a teammate(s) under the bus. She never asks “clown” questions, or questions that have an obvious negative (embarrassing) undertone.

An example of a "thoughtless" ill timed question asked to an NFL offensive lineman in the locker room right after a tough blowout loss: "Your team was just blown out by 52 points on national TV, your worse loss of the year. You guys were beat in all 3 phases of the game. The guy you were suppose to block had a career day with 4 sacks. How does that make you feel?" :eek: Not a good question to ask a player that has not cooled down yet, and is sore, got beat like a drum most of the day, and is mad as hell. Even his hair hurts. :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, this is the year where playing in the American will help UConn. They should pile up a good win-loss record & finish in the Top 8 - a 2-seed. I'm impressed by both CW & MW - they are both playing at an All-American level & could carry the team in the Tourney. CD & ONO will also contribute. After that, Geno needs to work his magic. I was hoping freshman Aubrey could contribute as much as CW did last year. Not impressed by the rest of the newcomers. The Westbrook waiver decline really hurts the team. As of now, there is not much depth at all, and Geno has to hope someone steps up there game to contribute. Regardless, UConn should still be a 2-seed & anything can happen in the Tourney, especially with CW & MW on your team.

Reaction Score
You just stuck a dagger in me when you mentioned Boston. I can still see her sitting in the gym watching the UConn game during the virgin island tournament. There were either one or two days before the early signing period and then she signed with South Carolin. Imagine a front court with her and ONO playing together for the next 3 years. I know we have Amari coming but if my math is correct she and ONO will only have one year to play together. That’s assuming she is as good as they make her out to be and she earns a starting position and is not just a backup to ONO. I’m sure Geno was in shock when she told him.

Yup. I think Boston is a generational talent. Probably caught Geno by surprise & set the team back a few years in terms of recruiting strategy.

Reaction Score
Thoughts:

1. Crystal looked to be the leader early and seemed to press as a result. Some interesting shot choices and turnovers. Fully confident that this will disappear when everyone gets a better idea of their roles.
2.Williams and Walker are both legitimate AA contenders this season. I really believe Williams is our best player and won’t be surprised to see her take over a lot of games this year.
3.ONO looked much improved. Her passing from the high post impressed me and should give a dimension to the offense that we haven’t really seen since Dolson/Stewart.
4.If Westbrook is on the bench this year, the fifth player is going to be our biggest question mark. I though Ana had some bright moments and created a few scoring opportunities for others. Aubrey was playing hot potato in the first half but had good defensive moments. I will not evaluate them based on one game, but someone will have to step up this season as the UConn system only works well when all 5 players are capable of scoring.

It was game one after graduating two of the best to play at UConn. Everything will be OK and I think this team will look vastly different in 4 weeks. For me, it’s fun to watch a group grow and get better. I’m looking forward to it.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno Postgame (Cal)

Geno is really concerned with Anna. He got into her in the post-game pretty hard. Basically her shot is not falling so she is shaken and she is reacting by shutting down her head. That is why Kyla is starting.

Reaction Score
Notice that none of the girls looked happy about being there and having to answer some of the thoughtless questions that were put to them. That’s one of the things I like about Doris Burke. She asks intelligent and thoughtful questions that don’t put the player on the spot. Not “clown” questions, or questions that have an obvious answer.
You're right, if I were one of those kids I'd be asking not to get sent in there again. That media group's attempts to get deep answers to nothing questions is weak. I was expecting something really incisive like ' do you think the offense would flow better if you pulled your socks up higher'?

Reaction Score
Geno is really concerned with Anna. He got into her in the post-game pretty hard. Basically her shot is not falling so she is shaken and she is reacting by shutting down her head. That is why Kyla is starting.
Have never been impressed with either Irwin or Bent. For 3 years the only significant playing time either has gotten is during garbage time. Irwin today 11 minutes 0 points. Bent didn’t even get into the game. They may be great teammates and practice hard but the talent just isn’t there.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree, unless Evina's waiver is granted. While I love Aubrey's hustle and tenacity, I was bothered by the fact that she had a wide open 3 and passed it up. I've seen enough of Aubrey in HS to know she can make 3-pt shots. Wish she let that one fly.
Since all of you agree Geno is a great coach, he obviously favors Anna over Aubrey.

Reaction Score
Not to pile on, but I hope Irwin is not our permanent 5th-starter. She simply doesnt have the foot speed to defend or rebound effectively. She's also not a shooting threat and teams will leave her alone & double down on CW & MW. Geno's system only works if all 5 are threats and are contributing. If not (like today), the team will have to rely on 1-on-1 matchup advantages with CW & MW.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since all of you agree Geno is a great coach, he obviously favors Anna over Aubrey.
Geno doesn’t favor one player over another when it comes to PT. Players earn playing time in practice and by their performance during games. Right now 4 players have earned starting jobs. The 5th starting spot is most certainly up for grabs.

Reaction Score
C’mon Dokey, you’re better than that. Yes it’s too early. You’re asking that question after one game? It's way too early. It’s only one game. Keep those shovels and that coffin away from these young ladies.

There’s still breath and lots of life in this body. One game does not a season make. Next up: Vandy in Nashville on Wednesday. Let’s see what they look like then.
Oh, I am actually ever hopeful. California is better than we thought. It was first half that bothered me the most. If CD scores big, we are in trouble. The team will rebound but UConn basketball is assists. It is partially why I rated Anna over Aubrey. Anna had two assists, Aubrey none. Ordinarily, 2 assists wouldn’t be worth mentioning, only the UConn leader had only four.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
"It is not preferred. It is what it is". Geno's answer about Crystal playing 40 minutes. I would think the question about who would be the backup point guard was a major preseason objective. Obviously, it hasn't been answered yet. If I had a vote, and I don't, I would vote CW. She played point on one of her USA teams and did OK--well enough to give Crystal a break or kill minutes if she gets in foul trouble.

Maybe Evina gets her waiver and the question gets answered.

Reaction Score
I was very surprised by how listless the team was. They seem to have expected Pheesa to show up and show them how it was done. Or Katie Lou to come in and hit three three's in a row. Each player seemed to be waiting for someone else to take over the game.

Surprised by how unaggressive they were on defense. Contrast UConn's game with the killer instinct displayed by both South Carolina and Maryland in the next game on TV.

This team didn't look like a Geno Auriemma team. I was surprised.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was disappointed and found watching the game to be not nearly as much fun as usual. Even though the opponent was much weaker today, it reminded me of the FSU game at the very beginning of the post-Stewie era. We had the same question of who would step up and the same concern that we could possibly lose the game. Both games raised the possibility that we could lose more than a handful of games over the season.

I largely give the team a pass in this “weird” (per Geno) game. We need to defend the 3-ball better, box out, and run better offense. I thought Squeaks was good, as was Megan. Crystal looked rusty. Liv was, as Geno said, average. She needs to score more inside and stop swatting at shots.

Kyla isn’t very athletic and is not a scoring threat. Both Anna and Aubrey bring more. I think both were nervous, a feeling possibly exacerbated by Stewie’s presence. Hopefully, they will settle in. Perhaps a couple of road games will help.

I was annoyed that Debbie Antonelli picked us as a 2 seed and said that DePaul would beat us. People are underestimating Geno and our kids. Can Megan and Christyn do approximately what Phee and Lou did in 2916-17? I think so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom