Brunelle To ND | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Brunelle To ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure ND will get a great player in SB and a real quality kid! the biggest problem with her committing to ND that I see is the chance that PB will follow her to ND and that is the one player I would have wanted from the 19 and 20 classes more than others....I would add that the first I saw SB play was at the U17 and I was not impressed but maybe because I was expecting (much) more from the number 1 player in the class.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
How funny would it be if she commits to UCONN. Insert foot in mouth. Lol.

Or she ends up at, like, Virginia and we're left going "Wait, what?"

i-did-not-moml31.jpg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
There have undoubtedly been some reversals on Brunelle, but none more significant than Geno and his staff, by all indications. That’s not to say that Brunelle won’t be a very good player in college. It just won’t be as a Husky.

One additional point. Let’s not pretend that UConn fans are the only ones to ever sour on a recruit. Seems to me I remember several Irish fans that were crazy about the youngest Mabrey sister until MM lost interest.

Orangutan, you have far too much time on your hands. I’m sure Brunelle will be a nice player for the Irish, another Kat Westbeld with range out to the arc.

Geno is looking for speed and athleticism. Brunelle doesn’t fit the profile. Some of us, myself included, didn’t understand that until recently.

In regards to Dara Mabrey: If you're referring to Irish fans who post on The Boneyard who are huge fans of Mabrey, you're probably talking about me. Along with CharlieBball, we've probably given more updates on Dara and her Manasquan teammates than anyone would ever want to read. I still believe the Irish made a mistake in not going after her, but MM made her decision. Rather than sour on her, I hope she has an absolute great career at Va. Tech under Kenny Brooks and plays well against the Irish (although I'll hope the Irish win). You'll find several posters on McGraw's Bench who feel the same way. So, while I get your overall point about all schools having fair-weather fans, not sure Dara is the right example: all Mabreys are held in very high esteem.

In regards to speed and athleticism, I thought one of the hallmarks of the Huskies the last two years was speed and athleticism, along with superb technical skills and coaching. Those might be the first words I think of in regards to Gabby and Collier is a very athletic forward.

So, if they decide to double down on that, cool. Interestingly, ND and UConn are -- not surprisingly -- pursuing many of the same players: Haley Jones, Laeticia Amihere, Aliyah Boston. So -- apparently outside of Ms. Brunelle -- we've got the same goals in mind, recruiting wise. And what we hope those recruits then do is excel on the court. ;)

Had a long day conversing with you and others....checking out grad school journalism programs in the morning and a Mabrey redux post this evening.
Never know what the 'yard will bring.

Hasta Manana......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That may be but you also have to realize that Coach Auriemma is not for everybody. Some kids want to go to a school where they are guaranteed PT and that will never happen at UConn, some kids want to be told how great they are all the time and not criticized and sure as hell won't ever happen at UConn, and some kids just don't want to be pushed as hard as Auriemma pushes. I just have a gut feeling that Bueckers doesn't view UConn as the best fit.

I think you're way off base with this kid.............she's tough as nails and takes on all challenges.....................working hard under tough coaching would not be an issue.....................if she doesn't end up at UConn it's because she simply wants to win somewhere else.........

Reaction Score
I'm reading old Brunelle threads now. The tone and attitude towards her abilities are...different.

Shame to see a once-talented kid regress so severely.

it's like that old joke......,........when you move from the East Coast to Los Angeles you immediately lose 20 points off your IQ

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Eh, they got their one comment on her speed. Now there will be umpteen posts on the various boards about UConn fans bad-mouthing a player who turned them down.
its true tho... fans flip with the quickness

Reaction Score
99 percent chance she’s not coming to UCONN!! But it would be kind of funny if she ended up not going to the Irish... there 100 percent sure she’s going there. Drama that’s all it is... like I say plenty of talent to go around... the sky isn’t falling when UCONN doesn’t get what we want... in the real world we always don’t get what we want. What ever happens wish the girl well and move on!!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say this about Sam. She is a great player. A few years ago there were coaches who thought she could be the next EDD. With that said Ive never seen her play live only highlight films and shes really good. Ive heard ND leads...Ive heard shes interested in UConn. So FWIW its between UConn and ND. Who leads? I dont know. I will say this. Any negative posts on the boards arent going to help either team. Alot of speculation and alot of opinions. Bottom line next week we will know and I can bet Geno and Muffet know already.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
99 percent chance she’s not coming to UCONN!! But it would be kind of funny if she ended up not going to the Irish... there 100 percent sure she’s going there. Drama that’s all it is... like I say plenty of talent to go around... the sky isn’t falling when UCONN doesn’t get what we want... in the real world we always don’t get what we want. What ever happens wish the girl well and move on!!!

Absolutely agree: wish Sam Brunelle well and see what happens. As an Irish fan, I've recently watched Lauren Cox decide on Baylor, Megan Walker choose UConn and Evina Westbrook go to Tennessee. But they made their decisions and they're teenagers, so wish them all the best and hope it works out with their decisions.

ND, led by MM and Recruiting Coordinator Niele Ivey, will try to find players that work for and do well in their system and enjoy the university. While she was a McDonald's All-American, Kat Westbeld was not in anyone's Top 10 in High School. Yet she was key link for us this year and now we Irish fans all wonder "who will take the Kat spot at high post and/or as our glue player?" Value to collective success does not seem to be factored into ratings or sometimes a player grows into it. Most Irish fans will always remember Kat for her leadership, as well. (I imagine a Kia Nurse does the same for UConn.)

BTW, many Irish fans may be 100% sure about Brunelle on the 15th, while I'm "cautiously optimistic," I don't celebrate until a signature is fully on the dotted line (see Jenna Brown de-committing and going to Stanford). As I end virtually all my recruiting posts at McGraw's Bench with: "Stay tuned." (And if we want the person badly, "cross fingers."). ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think UCONN Fans will ever know the real reason Geno stopped recruiting Sam. Was it Sam who decided UCONN was not the place for her or did Geno feel like he could get another wing as good or maybe slightly better then her like Jones. I can picture Sam making a last second shot that beats UCONN. Anyway I wish Sam the best of luck wherever she goes. She is one of my favorite UCONN recruits.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree: wish Sam Brunelle well and see what happens. As an Irish fan, I've recently watched Lauren Cox decide on Baylor, Megan Walker choose UConn and Evina Westbrook go to Tennessee. But they made their decisions and they're teenagers, so wish them all the best and hope it works out with their decisions.

BTW, many Irish fans may be 100% sure about Brunelle on the 15th, while I'm "cautiously optimistic," I don't celebrate until a signature is fully on the dotted line (see Jenna Brown de-committing and going to Stanford). As I end virtually all my recruiting posts at McGraw's Bench with: "Stay tuned." (And if we want the person badly, "cross fingers."). ;)

Dillon..............didn't you hear? Jenna Brown now wants to decommit from Stanford and rejoin Notre Dame............she didn't give any specific reason other then to say "who wants to hang with a bunch of brainiacs when I can play with the new "Mamba"...............:rolleyes::rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm reading old Brunelle threads now. The tone and attitude towards her abilities are...different.

Shame to see a once-talented kid regress so severely.

Fans here are simply trying to come up with a reason why Geno stopped recruiting a highly ranked kid who, according to a poster close to the Brunelles, had UConn as her #1 choice on January 1. Most if not all of the fans suggesting her lack of speed and quickness as the reason would still love her to be a Husky on April 15.

My views on Brunelle have been consistent from the first time I watched her play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Let me say this about Sam. She is a great player. A few years ago there were coaches who thought she could be the next EDD. With that said Ive never seen her play live only highlight films and shes really good. Ive heard ND leads...Ive heard shes interested in UConn. So FWIW its between UConn and ND. Who leads? I dont know. I will say this. Any negative posts on the boards arent going to help either team. Alot of speculation and alot of opinions. Bottom line next week we will know and I can bet Geno and Muffet know already.
Woah, leave it to Tony to give a measured response.

On the other hand if Tony isn't 150% certain she's coming, we don't have a chance. :D

Reaction Score
Just some random thoughts concerning SB and recruiting in general...

1. From the videos i've seen of Sam (granted, they're all highlight reels like most recruits) she's a complete player who will have a major impact on any program. And clearly USA basketball thinks very highly of her :) And in her interviews she seems like a genuinely sweet kid who is a both a natural leader and supportive teammate. Those are some intangibles that can really boost chemistry and success. I hope she chooses UCONN, but if she doesn't, let's be respectful of her decision and avoid unnecessary digs. Sorry, I'm not trying to stir the pot, but it's refreshing when we speak about players and their abilities in a positive light instead of tearing them down--it's frustrating enough dealing with people outside of the WBB community who don't take us seriously and love to hate...

2. I'm pretty confused by the posts claiming that GA lost interest in her or that she's 100% committing to ND. Not to state the obvious, but this is all pure speculation, right? I mean...who here is actually part of Geno's recruiting staff and is privy to his private conversations with recruits and their families? And furthermore, what kind of friend or family member goes to a school's message boards to reveal insider information about a recruit? Maybe it happens and I'm being naive, but seems strange to me...:rolleyes: The only certainty is this: she revealed her top schools via social media and she's making a decision on 4/15. That's it. Even if she wears a hoodie or "likes" comments by another school, so what? If a major university posted a positive tweet about her, why wouldn't she "like" it? Seems logical to me...

3. Like some of you, I have completely given up on trying to understand teenagers and their decisions ;) There are so many factors in choosing a college that it's best (as fans) not to worry. In years' past, these were some of my predictions: Diamond DeShields would be a husky, A'ja Wilson would choose SC, Kat Westbeld would go to Uconn (i'm pretty sure she posted a positive tweet after WE won a NC), Westbrook to ND, ONO to the SEC, etc. And whhhhyyyy am I shocked when I don't win the powerball each week??! haha.

4. Lastly, I just have a feeling that SB WILL choose Uconn next week and that Boston, Bueckers, and Van Lith will eventually join her. haha. wishful thinking, I know... :D Have a great Sunday!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
Just some random thoughts concerning SB and recruiting in general...

1. From the videos i've seen of Sam (granted, they're all highlight reels like most recruits) she's a complete player who will have a major impact on any program. And clearly USA basketball thinks very highly of her :) And in her interviews she seems like a genuinely sweet kid who is a both a natural leader and supportive teammate. Those are some intangibles that can really boost chemistry and success. I hope she chooses UCONN, but if she doesn't, let's be respectful of her decision and avoid unnecessary digs. Sorry, I'm not trying to stir the pot, but it's refreshing when we speak about players and their abilities in a positive light instead of tearing them down--it's frustrating enough dealing with people outside of the WBB community who don't take us seriously and love to hate...

2. I'm pretty confused by the posts claiming that GA lost interest in her or that she's 100% committing to ND. Not to state the obvious, but this is all pure speculation, right? I mean...who here is actually part of Geno's recruiting staff and is privy to his private conversations with recruits and their families? And furthermore, what kind of friend or family member goes to a school's message boards to reveal insider information about a recruit? Maybe it happens and I'm being naive, but seems strange to me...:rolleyes: The only certainty is this: she revealed her top schools via social media and she's making a decision on 4/15. That's it. Even if she wears a hoodie or "likes" comments by another school, so what? If a major university posted a positive tweet about her, why wouldn't she "like" it? Seems logical to me...

3. Like some of you, I have completely given up on trying to understand teenagers and their decisions ;) There are so many factors in choosing a college that it's best (as fans) not to worry. In years' past, these were some of my predictions: Diamond DeShields would be a husky, A'ja Wilson would choose SC, Kat Westbeld would go to Uconn (i'm pretty sure she posted a positive tweet after WE won a NC), Westbrook to ND, ONO to the SEC, etc. And whhhhyyyy am I shocked when I don't win the powerball each week??! haha.

4. Lastly, I just have a feeling that SB WILL choose Uconn next week and that Boston, Bueckers, and Van Lith will eventually join her. haha. wishful thinking, I know... :D Have a great Sunday!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"
Number 2 is perfection!! Love the way u think!!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon....didn't you hear? Jenna Brown now wants to decommit from Stanford and rejoin Notre Dame..she didn't give any specific reason other then to say "who wants to hang with a bunch of brainiacs when I can play with the new "Mamba".....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"...and I can't tell the difference between those Hull sisters, anyway" ;)

Reaction Score
I think you're way off base with this kid...she's tough as nails and takes on all challenges......working hard under tough coaching would not be an issue......if she doesn't end up at UConn it's because she simply wants to win somewhere else....

We shall see.

Reaction Score
Kids choosing schools other than UCONN doesn't mean they don't want to be pushed as hard, please get off your high horse.

At the end of the day, most top 5 kids want to go to a school where they'll develop as basketball players and have an opportunity to make an impact early on. If Sam went to Connecticut, she'd likely come off the bench as a freshman and realistically isn't going to be a primary scoring option until she's an upperclassman, as she's behind Walker, Williams and ONO for 2 (and 3) years. At Notre Dame, she has a clearer window to be a go to player there for 3-4 years, and she'll likely make huge strides in her play at Notre Dame like most players do. No one is guaranteeing playing time for her at either program, but if she uses some basic logic, she'll see there's a much clearer path to be a go to player at Notre Dame than there is at Connecticut. Probably similar to how Christyn Williams and ONO both saw a clearer path at UCONN than they did at other schools. It doesn't mean anyone is taking the easy way out, but players have to decide what's important to them when deciding where to go for 4 years.

I offered a variety of reasons why some recruits may not want to play for Coach Auriemma specifically! I did not even mention Brunelle in my post, it was about Bueckers! I think you better read the post again.

Reaction Score
I really want height.... a great post player who can play! A Tina Charles/Steph Dolson type of player.... Azura type player. If Sam comes great... if not... if we get height and a good post player I will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom