Brunelle To ND | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brunelle To ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Eh, they got their one comment on her speed. Now there will be umpteen posts on the various boards about UConn fans bad-mouthing a player who turned them down.

Right, except we've been told here that she didn't turn UConn down. In fact, we've been told the exact opposite took place.

The UConn staff moved on months ago. Some fans are just figuring that out and others require a 2x4 between the eyes which will happen on April 15.

Reaction Score
Not going to happen! I wish I knew the reason Geno stopped recruiting her.
Pretty simple. He didn’t think she was a good fit. He doesn’t lose too many he really wants, and he doesn’t waste much time with ones he doesn’t care for. Doesn’t really matter what their skills are.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily believe that...package deals are often spoken about but rarely happen...there's way too much time before Bueckers and Fudd can sign to know where they end up.....everybody around here is acting like ND will get every great recruit because they won a single NC.....geez...if they lose in the round of 16 next year does everybody jump ship!!.......even UConn missed out on some awesome talent after they won four NCs in a row...

Hey, that's two national championships. Of course, a lot of the kids UConn, ND and others are recruiting were not born when that happened in 2001...:rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know very little, if anything about Sam Brunelle other than what i read here.
She sure sounded like a very good fit for U Conn and then something happened. There was a cooling on one side or another. We may never know where it began or why?
First of all, this cooling began and seemingly led to a decision long before ND's final four win, so very likely that had nothing to do with it. It seems to me unlikely that U Conn decided they'd preferred other recruits more and were willing to risk losing a really good player for two or three we don't yet have. Also it's written here by quite a few posters that Brunelle is very close to Bueckers and Fuzz, so U Conn cooling on her might have unintended consequences with those two, who just about everyone says we are all in on.
It seems to me that for whatever reason, it became clear that Brunelle cooled on U Conn and Geno then decided to essentially pull the plug on further time and energy spent there.
I do find it a but distasteful when U Conn supporters then bad mouth Brunelle and her skills and motivation. Or ND's and MM's program, which has been a consistently very strong one for many years.
One of Geno's and CD's strengths is they were almost always very gracious winners. So let's try to do and be the same towards recruits especially, and other coaches and programs when we lose a big game and / or a big recruit.
We only make ourselves look like whiners and sore losers when we do otherwise. This includes all the moaning about the referees and specific calls.
The refs didn't make us lose that game, Geno the coaching staff and players did.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Eh, they got their one comment on her speed. Now there will be umpteen posts on the various boards about UConn fans bad-mouthing a player who turned them down.

Yup. Not from me. I tell it to u straight.

Reaction Score
That may be but you also have to realize that Coach Auriemma is not for everybody. Some kids want to go to a school where they are guaranteed PT and that will never happen at UConn, some kids want to be told how great they are all the time and not criticized and sure as hell won't ever happen at UConn, and some kids just don't want to be pushed as hard as Auriemma pushes. I just have a gut feeling that Bueckers doesn't view UConn as the best fit.

• * Any player who expects to be handed playing time and have their egos stroked belong somewhere other than UConn.

• There are a lot of reasons UConn loses interest in players other than the abilities and potential of the players themselves. Those reasons have been listed many times and there is no reason to speculate if any of them apply to any individual recruits but given all the posts about UConn losing interest .....

• As far as friendship, too many posters here are living in the past when going to different colleges meant the end of friendships. Today, social media allows daily contact with friends from all over the world. Geno has said that players today don't dislike other teams because they have friends all over. My impression is that I have never heard a player (other than a sister) say that she picked a school to be near friends.

• I never saw so many chicken littles assembled on one board in my life.

• Brunelle shot 29% for last summer's U17 team and also took more shots than anyone. I know there are posters here who are all gaga but in the limited times I saw her play I never saw anything transcendent in her game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
  • Brunelle shot 29% for last summer's U17 team and also took more shots than anyone. I know there are posters here who are all gaga but in the limited times I saw her play I never saw anything transcendent in her game.

Bingo!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
" Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,. Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,. To the last syllable of recorded time;. And all our yesterdays have lighted fools. The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!" Seems somehow appropriate here, now. Can't quite verbalize why.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not so long ago I was watching a highlight film of Brunelle. She was knocking down shots, pulling down rebounds and driving to the basket at will.

As I watched the highlights, I would swear there wasn’t a single opposing player over 5’8”. That’s just the way it is for girls b-ball in rural VA.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm reading old Brunelle threads now. The tone and attitude towards her abilities are...different.

Shame to see a once-talented kid regress so severely.

I'm betting you aren't seeing them come from the same posters.

Reaction Score
I'm reading old Brunelle threads now. The tone and attitude towards her abilities are...different.

Shame to see a once-talented kid regress so severely.

And do you find things any different on the Irish board? If Stewart had played for Muffet would McGraw have sat stonefaced with her hands in her lap in the second row when BS won POY? :rolleyes: And if Durr had played for Muffet would she have referred to her as "that other player"?

I've never posted a thing about Brunelle, one way or the other so regression doesn't apply in my case. Perhaps you should remember that we are all individuals and maybe be more specific about who posted what in all those old threads. I think you'll find that most of the gaga posts came from a small handful of posters.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There have undoubtedly been some reversals on Brunelle, but none more significant than Geno and his staff, by all indications. That’s not to say that Brunelle won’t be a very good player in college. It just won’t be as a Husky.

One additional point. Let’s not pretend that UConn fans are the only ones to ever sour on a recruit. Seems to me I remember several Irish fans that were crazy about the youngest Mabrey sister until MM lost interest.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There have undoubtedly been some reversals on Brunelle
At least you admit it (and to be fair - you did say "that doesn’t mean that SB won’t be really good at the next level" before "there's clearly a reason UConn backed off")

upload_2018-4-7_20-12-6.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At least you admit it (and to be fair - you did say "that doesn’t mean that SB won’t be really good at the next level" before "there's clearly a reason UConn backed off")

View attachment 30492
Orangutan, you have far too much time on your hands. I’m sure Brunelle will be a nice player for the Irish, another Kat Westbeld with range out to the arc.

Geno is looking for speed and athleticism. Brunelle doesn’t fit the profile. Some of us, myself included, didn’t understand that until recently.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't know if or why Uconn cooled on her, but when I watched her.she's slow....doesnt run well at all.
I've heard that. but haven't seen enough of her to have an opinion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I can't really believe some of the minutia of the arguing. Let me see if I can put it into perspective. MOST UCONN fans have either never seen her play, or seen a few highlight videos on her. PLUS ESPN lists her as the #1 recruit in the nation. That would be the main reason most (in the past) would have "ooh'd and ah'd" over her. Several people who have seen her numerous times (including @UConnCat) didn't think she'd be a good fit for UCONN. Apparently the coaches thought the same thing as they stopped recruiting her months ago.

What ALL UCONN fans CAN see is that she's rated the #1 kid in the class. That makes everyone go "gaga" over her, and many can't believe that she wouldn't fit in at UCONN. I'll admit, I look at the list of ESPN's top 10 kids, especially those who are ranked 98 and above, and think "how many of these kids can UCONN get"?

So for the most part, in general, I have no idea why anyone from ND would be on here debating about how much any particular UCONN fan wanted, or didn't want, Brunelle. And perhaps a lot of it is just UCONN fans realizing that the staff decided they did not wish to pursue Brunelle any further, and are coming to terms with the disappointment. Bottom line, Geno has a better track record than most. In spite of losing out on McBegor and Collier, he still landed the best class in 2018 (or at least the one with the most top 5 kids).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That thing where some people decide a player isn't as good after not attending their school is nothing new. I've seen it from fans of numerous teams. Even some current Huskies (Walker, KLS) have gotten this treatment. Happens.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That thing where some people decide a player isn't as good after not attending their school is nothing new. I've seen it from fans of numerous teams. Even some current Huskies (Walker, KLS) have gotten this treatment. Happens.

Just for the record, I agree 100%. Happens everywhere. I spend the most time here, so I'm joking about it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom