Brunelle To ND | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brunelle To ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That size of the school thing doesn't mean that much. I keep pointing out that Van Lith is playing against fairly low level competition in rural Washington, that doesn't diminish what kind of player she is.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That post was on April Fools Day.

So was the National Championship, which is what prompted it.

Trust me there are many other examples I could have posted from before and after

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I fully expect that Brunelle will choose N.D. for reasons that Dolphan noted. Plus, there may be more to it than that.

I think Sam's friends will consider N.D. a little more strongly because she'll be there, but I think Buckers and Fudd are smart and independent. They may also choose N.D., but it's way too early to say. I've heard that Geno really wants Buckers and Fudd. He will give them his best effort.

Will N.D.'s championship help them recruit? I think so, but it won't mean they'll get all of the top 5 kids or anything like that.

With regard to the UConn class of 2019, Geno appeared to be recruiting others and may be optimistic about getting at least some of them. I think Jones, Boston, and Amihere are at the top of his list.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think Sam's friends will consider N.D. a little more strongly because she'll be there, but I think Buckers and Fudd are smart and independent. They may also choose N.D., but it's way too early to say. I've heard that Geno really wants Buckers and Fudd. He will give them his best effort.
Some of the best players in the world have come from UCONN (Bird,Taurasi, Charles, Moore, Stewart). Not sure how Fudd can pass that up.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The following tweet was "liked" by Brunelle. She's taking all the mystery out of this.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily believe that...package deals are often spoken about but rarely happen...there's way too much time before Bueckers and Fudd can sign to know where they end up.....everybody around here is acting like ND will get every great recruit because they won a single NC.....geez...if they lose in the round of 16 next year does everybody jump ship!!.......even UConn missed out on some awesome talent after they won four NCs in a row...

That's not why I think they are going to ND. I am just basing my opinion on the joyful reactions of Brunelle and Bueckers to ND winning the NC, the multiple photos of each of them decked out in ND gear, and a gut feeling. I also think kids are changing and as the years go on fewer and fewer of them want to play for a coach that is as demanding as Geno is.

Reaction Score
That's not why I think they are going to ND. I am just basing my opinion on the joyful reactions of Brunelle and Bueckers to ND winning the NC, the multiple photos of each of them decked out in ND gear, and a gut feeling. I also think kids are changing and as the years go on fewer and fewer of them want to play for a coach that is as demanding as Geno is.

everything I've read/seen about Bueckers shouts old school ..........she's basketball 24/7 and is always looking to improve her game.............from all appearances, if there was ever a recruit made for UConn she would be it

Reaction Score
everything I've read/seen about Bueckers shouts old school .....she's basketball 24/7 and is always looking to improve her game...from all appearances, if there was ever a recruit made for UConn she would be it

That may be but you also have to realize that Coach Auriemma is not for everybody. Some kids want to go to a school where they are guaranteed PT and that will never happen at UConn, some kids want to be told how great they are all the time and not criticized and sure as hell won't ever happen at UConn, and some kids just don't want to be pushed as hard as Auriemma pushes. I just have a gut feeling that Bueckers doesn't view UConn as the best fit.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Assuming Dolphin is correct, and UConn backed off Brunelle, even though she was a strong lean towards the Huskies, that can only mean that UConn has their sites set on one or more talented wings/forwards in the 2019 Class who they feel are a better fit at UConn. The names most often mentioned are Haley Jones & Amihere.
I love that term

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
these kids are different than Tina, Maya DT and Stewie... they may be looking at Megatron and what she's doing at UConn

Reaction Score
Don't know if or why Uconn cooled on her, but when I watched her......she's slow....doesnt run well at all.

Reaction Score
Don't know if or why Uconn cooled on her, but when I watched her.she's slow....doesnt run well at all.

She reminds me of Lou when she was in High school. Height, length, range, stretches the court, a number one talent, defense and rebounding not her thing, speed and lateral quickness not her thing... SB May develop a la Lou into a complete player and be quite a force.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She reminds me of Lou when she was in High school. Height, length, range, stretches the court, a number one talent, defense and rebounding not her thing, speed and lateral quickness not her thing... SB May develop a la Lou into a complete player and be quite a force.

The speed issue has been in my head forever about her; still a lot to like though. Of course the speed issue is most pronounced when you consider her in a blue uniform.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That may be but you also have to realize that Coach Auriemma is not for everybody. Some kids want to go to a school where they are guaranteed PT and that will never happen at UConn, some kids want to be told how great they are all the time and not criticized and sure as hell won't ever happen at UConn, and some kids just don't want to be pushed as hard as Auriemma pushes. I just have a gut feeling that Bueckers doesn't view UConn as the best fit.

Kids choosing schools other than UCONN doesn't mean they don't want to be pushed as hard, please get off your high horse.

At the end of the day, most top 5 kids want to go to a school where they'll develop as basketball players and have an opportunity to make an impact early on. If Sam went to Connecticut, she'd likely come off the bench as a freshman and realistically isn't going to be a primary scoring option until she's an upperclassman, as she's behind Walker, Williams and ONO for 2 (and 3) years. At Notre Dame, she has a clearer window to be a go to player there for 3-4 years, and she'll likely make huge strides in her play at Notre Dame like most players do. No one is guaranteeing playing time for her at either program, but if she uses some basic logic, she'll see there's a much clearer path to be a go to player at Notre Dame than there is at Connecticut. Probably similar to how Christyn Williams and ONO both saw a clearer path at UCONN than they did at other schools. It doesn't mean anyone is taking the easy way out, but players have to decide what's important to them when deciding where to go for 4 years.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
They currently have a point. With Stevens leaving and clearly not anywhere near what could have been, it brings into question that she struggled to make the starting 5 because of some glaring deficiencies at Uconn level and decides to leave before putting those deficiencies to rest. I agree with Will that there is a shift in how hard the current recruits are willing to work and they live in a world of false praise surrounded by their high school entourage.

Reaction Score
They currently have a point. With Stevens leaving and clearly not anywhere near what could have been, it brings into question that she struggled to make the starting 5 because of some glaring deficiencies at Uconn level and decides to leave before putting those deficiencies to rest. I agree with Will that there is a shift in how hard the current recruits are willing to work and they live in a world of false praise surrounded by their high school entourage.

It’s a millennial thing. As a millennial, I can safely say that most of us want instant gratification. A direct result of growing up with the use of social media and increased technology. With respect to curating basketball skills, players have to know that practice makes perfect. It requires hard work. It must be easier to see players at other schools making immediate impacts and picture following suit than to see UConn freshman ride the bench and choose that same delayed gratification. That’s why the recruits we have always signed are different than other players; they have always wanted to work extra hard to be great. However, those kids seem to be fewer and farther between now.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The speed issue has been in my head forever about her; still a lot to like though. Of course the speed issue is most pronounced when you consider her in a blue uniform.

Kat Westbeld and Jessica Shepard are not going to make anybody's track team either. I'm not worried about it.

She's played on USAB teams and just recently won the U18 3x3 national championship. I don't really understand the ideas that she's not athletic or beats up on weak high school competition. She's athletic enough and good enough to earn the right to represent her country.

Players for ND getting called slow on this board is as much a guarantee as death and taxes. If she does end up Irish, you guys will apparently have plenty of practice before she plays her first minute of college basketball. :p

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kat Westbeld and Jessica Shepard are not going to make anybody's track team either. I'm not worried about it.

Players for ND getting called slow on this board is as much a guarantee as death and taxes. If she does end up Irish, you guys will apparently have plenty of practice before she plays her first minute of college basketball.

You are right. But that is why she is right for Muffet and ND. I'd take slower for a Nattie too! ;)
\
PS. I thought she was ours and was happy to have here. Alas, it ain't so.

Reaction Score
If she picks ND, it’ll be the first number one recruit that Muffet has landed since Michelle Marciniak back in 1991.

Notre Dame needs to haul in a solid 2019 class if they want to remain a perennial top 5 team. They lose 4 if contributors next year and didn’t land any top 10 kids for 2017 and 2018. I think Muffet will figure out a way to make magic happen, but it’ll be a lot easier if Brunelle comes to South Bend.

Or she can bring in some more transfers.

Reaction Score

She's played on USAB teams and just recently won the U18 3x3 national championship. I don't really understand the ideas that she's not athletic or beats up on weak high school competition. She's athletic enough and good enough to earn the right to represent her country.

Players for ND getting called slow on this board is as much a guarantee as death and taxes. If she does end up Irish, you guys will apparently have plenty of practice before she plays her first minute of college basketball. :p

Sam Brunelle is going to be terrific. Don’t let anyone tell u different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc