Breaking news regarding KO on espn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Breaking news regarding KO on espn

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie made his bed and now had to pay the Piper. As long as UConn doesn't end up hurting I am fine with this

Reaction Score
That's how I'd describe what UConn's done to Kevin Ollie.

I know people have this narrative in their head that he got fired primarily because he was a bad coach and the violations were the final straw. No. He got fired entirely because of his coaching (which includes his recruiting). That's a key distinction because the violations only ever existed because of the poor coaching. What KO is accused of doing is child's play and everyone knows it. The University simply self-reported the violations because they needed to get out of the contract. And then, like a magic trick, the NCAA - a business partner - levied charges on him. What a coincidence!

"Oh this guy must just not be in on the DM chain. Doesn't he know that Ollie couldn't be bothered to do his job and may have done some other bad things as well?"

Let's hear them then. Have you ever stopped to consider something from someone else's perspective? Have you ever considered that corruption in the real world can stem from legitimate injustice as well? Do you think you always have the whole story when you get mad at how money is spent elsewhere? Or are you just always right? There's a common thread in all of that and it's a lack of transparency. The University is now unequivocally guilty, but hey, it's convenient this time!

"Do you expect me to shed a tear over a rich guy who was bad at his job not getting 10 mil"?

No. I expect you to shed a tear for your own continued involvement in a bureaucracy of which you're the victim. I expect you to begin recognizing the monopoly the school and the NCAA has over YOU. I expect you to recognize the danger in foregoing a democratic process because a couple biased parties decided that they were owed one.

"I dunno man, he broke the contract!"

Go talk to his lawyer then. Truth be told, I don't give a damn about whether Ollie gets this much money or that much money. There are more important things in the world.

I care about my school lying to me. I care about the fact that my school has been victimized by this shady business more than any other. I care about the fact that corruption breeds corruption, and if you don't have the courage to stop the cycle when the arrow lands on you, what's the point of even pretending you have an identity at all?

I don't care about what corporations or institutions can do to technically get away with things. I care about we can do. I care about our fanbase having a voice that represents us and not the status quo. Try being different, try being original. Ask yourselves what you want your role in this process to be. Follow my lead if you want the school to represent you and follow their lead if you want it to represent everything that's wrong with America. If you think you're progressive, if you think you're state's better than Alabama or Georgia because we're more educated, more enlightened? This is a test. Enter gate one and live up to your word or enter gate two and be a hypocrite.

This board has been great to me. I'm sincerely thankful to Tom, the rest of the admins, and everyone else who has made such a difference in my life these last eight years. I respect the intelligence of the people here tremendously and hope to continue learning from you moving forward.

But this isn't a difference in opinion for me, it's a crossroads. I'm not grandstanding, or posturing, or moralizing. I'm simply appealing to your appetite for listening to someone who's a lot more like you and a lot more invested in this matter than the noise coming from the other side.

The thing about this is that we matter so much more than Ollie's lawyers. The system is so stacked against anyone in Ollie's shoes that he's forced to defend himself by denying the allegations rather than mentioning the fact that, oh yeah, this is a business and they added the buyout to his contract because he was being pursued by freaking NBA teams.

We fund all of this and it's time for us to start having a say in what happens. Sure, you *can* ignore it. It's entertainment after all, so you're not going to go to hell for unknowingly ratifying things you can't see.

It's just that, the things you think you're doing in the interest of your school aren't always in the interest of your school. It's in the interest of our school to demonstrate a fighting spirit against the things that have largely ruined college sports. It's in the interest of our school to set the pace for change in our country.

I want you to think for a minute about who this is coming from. I'm not your gender studies professor or a social rights activist. I'm not Jay Bilas or Shaun King. I'm the person that studies hours of game tape, travels eight hours to and from tournaments without leaving my car, and writes mountains of paragraphs on January games, all for nothing. If I'm mad enough about something to leave, you should pay attention.

So I'll make things very simple and encourage you to boycott the program until Ollie is paid his buyout money and/or Benedict and Herbst are removed from their positions at the school. It's not the most important cause but it's the most important cause that's ours. DM me if you want to learn more about why I'm doing this or what we can do to maximize impact. Otherwise, have a nice life.
Go away, everyone is sick of your self-important posturing. It's infuriating someone who has no clue what was going on can continue to make these posts. You've been beating this ridiculous drum for so long and now you're telling people to boycott the program.

I don't have any power here but you should be banned for this garbage. Go cheer for another school.

Reaction Score

I know people have this narrative in their head that he got fired primarily because he was a bad coach and the violations were the final straw. No. He got fired entirely because of his coaching (which includes his recruiting). That's a key distinction because the violations only ever existed because of the poor coaching. What KO is accused of doing is child's play and everyone knows it. The University simply self-reported the violations because they needed to get out of the contract. And then, like a magic trick, the NCAA - a business partner - levied charges on him. What a coincidence!

"Oh this guy must just not be in on the DM chain. Doesn't he know that Ollie couldn't be bothered to do his job and may have done some other bad things as well?"

Let's hear them then. Have you ever stopped to consider something from someone else's perspective? Have you ever considered that corruption in the real world can stem from legitimate injustice as well? Do you think you always have the whole story when you get mad at how money is spent elsewhere? Or are you just always right? There's a common thread in all of that and it's a lack of transparency. The University is now unequivocally guilty, but hey, it's convenient this time!

"Do you expect me to shed a tear over a rich guy who was bad at his job not getting 10 mil"?

No. I expect you to shed a tear for your own continued involvement in a bureaucracy of which you're the victim. I expect you to begin recognizing the monopoly the school and the NCAA has over YOU. I expect you to recognize the danger in foregoing a democratic process because a couple biased parties decided that they were owed one.

Go talk to his lawyer then. Truth be told, I don't give a damn about whether Ollie gets this much money or that much money. There are more important things in the world.

I care about my school lying to me. I care about the fact that my school has been victimized by this shady business more than any other. I care about the fact that corruption breeds corruption, and if you don't have the courage to stop the cycle when the arrow lands on you, what's the point of even pretending you have an identity at all?

I don't care about what corporations or institutions can do to technically get away with things. I care about we can do. I care about our fanbase having a voice that represents us and not the status quo. Try being different, try being original. Ask yourselves what you want your role in this process to be. Follow my lead if you want the school to represent you and follow their lead if you want it to represent everything that's wrong with America. If you think you're progressive, if you think you're state's better than Alabama or Georgia because we're more educated, more enlightened? This is a test. Enter gate one and live up to your word or enter gate two and be a hypocrite.

This board has been great to me. I'm sincerely thankful to Tom, the rest of the admins, and everyone else who has made such a difference in my life these last eight years. I respect the intelligence of the people here tremendously and hope to continue learning from you moving forward.

But this isn't a difference in opinion for me, it's a crossroads. I'm not grandstanding, or posturing, or moralizing. I'm simply appealing to your appetite for listening to someone who's a lot more like you and a lot more invested in this matter than the noise coming from the other side.

The thing about this is that we matter so much more than Ollie's lawyers. The system is so stacked against anyone in Ollie's shoes that he's forced to defend himself by denying the allegations rather than mentioning the fact that, oh yeah, this is a business and they added the buyout to his contract because he was being pursued by freaking NBA teams.

We fund all of this and it's time for us to start having a say in what happens. Sure, you *can* ignore it. It's entertainment after all, so you're not going to go to hell for unknowingly ratifying things you can't see.

It's just that, the things you think you're doing in the interest of your school aren't always in the interest of your school. It's in the interest of our school to demonstrate a fighting spirit against the things that have largely ruined college sports. It's in the interest of our school to set the pace for change in our country.

I want you to think for a minute about who this is coming from. I'm not your gender studies professor or a social rights activist. I'm not Jay Bilas or Shaun King. I'm the person that studies hours of game tape, travels eight hours to and from tournaments without leaving my car, and writes mountains of paragraphs on January games, all for nothing. If I'm mad enough about something to leave, you should pay attention.

So I'll make things very simple and encourage you to boycott the program until Ollie is paid his buyout money and/or Benedict and Herbst are removed from their positions at the school. It's not the most important cause but it's the most important cause that's ours. DM me if you want to learn more about why I'm doing this or what we can do to maximize impact. Otherwise, have a nice life.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

A lot of this is inaccurate champs.

And the reality is, all your doing by boycotting the program is taking out misplaced frustrations on the players and the coaching staff, NONE of which were involved in this mess.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Very much looking forward to Dick Vitale's (and all national media) public apology and retraction to UConn.

Reaction Score
A lot of this is inaccurate champs.

And the reality is, all your doing by boycotting the program is taking out misplaced frustrations on the players and the coaching staff, NONE of which were involved in this mess.

He’s not boycotting. He will watch every game like the rest of us. Hes full of it!

Reaction Score

If you want to make a stand against every corrupt system you will find yourselves incapable of participating in any aspect of life. Might as well become a monk.

Part of me wishes the NCAA would disband and we develop a European style model. I just think you haven't thought through the implications of your stance. PS - you are going to have many new options for a sig.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He made an entire thread about this and one of the mods removed it. Saying it twice only makes him doubly wrong.

Reaction Score
A part of me feels bad for him but he just lost complete control. I think he can still find a place where he can rebuild but he has to move on first. We will miss you champs99and04.

Reaction Score
I would not be particularly concerned if I was Miller.

Reading through Griffin's list of "violations", I didn't see any.

He seems to think Miller asking him for phone numbers is a violation.

And I don't understand why anyone is mad at Miller....you understand that he was being interviewed by the NCAA, the organization that could end his career if they decided he didn't cooperate with them? If Ollie was going off the rails, I'm glad it came out when it did, because it would have gotten much, much worse.

Yeah valid point. Lose-lose for him when interviewed but in the long run it’s best for us as fans of the program. There’s still a couple wheels on.....

Reaction Score
He’s taken the contrarian role to the absolute extreme.
He's also really self-important. The posts have become more and more full of smug pomposity and he could condense his 10 paragraph posts down to a few sentences. If you have the patience to ever read through them you realize they are basically an incoherent mess.

Reaction Score
Glen Miller's lack of loyalty to his boss will be the bigger problem with his future career than the NCAA.
What future career. JC had to find a job for him as an assistant at D3 STJ, I played one yr for a small liberal art school like that. The head coach was also coaching the Volleyball team. He got several grand a yr.

Reaction Score

Sheesh, how’s the weather up there?

1538262216160.jpeg

Reaction Score
Go back to the St. John’s board and don’t come back here ever again
Okay big guy. Go continue your stuff of inhibiting the growth of UCONN. I love Calhoun, Ollie, Herbst n UCONN.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Okay big guy. Go continue your stuff of inhibiting the growth of UCONN. I love Calhoun, Ollie, Herbst n UCONN.

One of three real life Ollie defenders left is attempting to ding me for inhibiting UConn’s growth?

The best thing for UConn’s growth is for you to stay as far away from the program as possible.

Reaction Score
One of three real life Ollie defenders left is attempting to ding me for inhibiting UConn’s growth?

The best thing for UConn’s growth is for you to stay as far away from the program as possible.
I care more about the University's academics then its athletics n always will. I think that we r doing a fine job with that. U saw the stats on the incoming class. Anyway, I have made my peace with Hurley, he park his Lexus next to mine at a recent UCONN event. He was very gracious toward my youngest daughter

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom