Breaking news regarding KO on espn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Breaking news regarding KO on espn

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Somebody had to get Glen out of his bitter funk after literally NO ONE had any interest in hiring him. He had a sense of entitlement that was truly amazing.
Given KO’s issues and capability of denial - it was really scary that these two dudes were steering the ship. No wonder it hit an iceberg.

So now it's these two dudes steering into the the ship iceberg? You gave GM little credit for the title run but now you want to give him half credit for the disaster. I think that's backwards. I only know what I read in the Boneyard. And it seems to me that Miller is a big reason we still have a viable program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would not be particularly concerned if I was Miller.

Reading through Griffin's list of "violations", I didn't see any.

He seems to think Miller asking him for phone numbers is a violation.

And I don't understand why anyone is mad at Miller....you understand that he was being interviewed by the NCAA, the organization that could end his career if they decided he didn't cooperate with them? If Ollie was going off the rails, I'm glad it came out when it did, because it would have gotten much, much worse.
Agree for the most part, but the transcript reads like he had a bit too much zeal about it. I suppose that could have a lack of familiarity with the process.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Where are all the kudos for AD Dave? Looks like he got rid of a program-killing coach without paying the prohibitive buyout while replacing him with the new coach we needed.

I was gonna bring this up, but maybe in a different thread.

His list of accomplishments is pretty good:

- Ollie tactics
- hurley
- new deals for Nike and IMG
- edsall on the cheap (not sure anyone is doing any better at Uconn for football right now anyway, so I’ll take the $$ savings during the rebuild)

Only real negative so far has been the lack of a P5 move. And it’s really hard to just pin that entire thing on him. It takes multiple parties to do that tango.

He’s been at least a solid triple as a hire with a good argument for being a homer.

Reaction Score

And I don't understand why anyone is mad at Miller....you understand that he was being interviewed by the NCAA, the organization that could end his career if they decided he didn't cooperate with them? If Ollie was going off the rails, I'm glad it came out when it did, because it would have gotten much, much worse.
Exactly, I don't get why this is so hard to understand. People really wanted Miller to also lie and watch the program go down in flames? I'm not calling him a hero or a rat but he helped get us out from this disaster. We went from having one of the worst futures in college bball to having one of the best, IMO.

Reaction Score
The school gets their out but you can’t tell me that Jim Calhoun was squeaky clean over his career besides the academic scandal. This was a performance firing.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I guess Bazz's "this is what happens when you ban us" stuck with Emmert and ever since then he was watching KO and UConn like a hawk waiting for the opportunity to attack.

Reaction Score

Amen.

How is it that people aren’t getting this?

He was asked questions which he answered truthfully, I assume.

The result was the university being able to rid themselves of a coach that wasn’t qualified or able to run a major college basketball program

This job and any high major job is about so much more than coaching basketball.

He couldn’t get it done and fortunately there became an easy out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ollie is right, but that doesn't help him legally. It doesn't matter if UCONN drew a road map for the NCAA investigators. Ollie is still guilty if he did those things, and that may be enough to void his contract.

If UCONNs 'road map' didn't dovetail with the NCAA investigators, we would have had another problem on our hands.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Where are all the kudos for AD Dave? Looks like he got rid of a program-killing coach without paying the prohibitive buyout while replacing him with the new coach we needed.

He fixed his own mistake. Credit for that I guess, but he better have learned from it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I guess Bazz's "this is what happens when you ban us" stuck with Emmert and ever since then he was watching KO and UConn like a hawk waiting for the opportunity to attack.

I don't have any doubt of this. but jmo

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hope this isn't another Nate Miles issue

???? there's nothing there which is remotely like that. like not even same universe.

For the record, the two kids involved in those workouts were cleared to play last year iirc.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout on Twitter
Dan Hurley talked some about how the Ollie situation might impact his team and admitted he was a bit unprepared for last night. “I wasn’t aware that was coming out (Friday) night. You hop on the phone there and make sure you talk to the appropriate people.”

Doesn't the NCAA have to notify the school before they announce and drop a news bomb? I thought so, but it sounds like I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
That's how I'd describe what UConn's done to Kevin Ollie.

I know people have this narrative in their head that he got fired primarily because he was a bad coach and the violations were the final straw. No. He got fired entirely because of his coaching (which includes his recruiting). That's a key distinction because the violations only ever existed because of the poor coaching. What KO is accused of doing is child's play and everyone knows it. The University simply self-reported the violations because they needed to get out of the contract. And then, like a magic trick, the NCAA - a business partner - levied charges on him. What a coincidence!

"Oh this guy must just not be in on the DM chain. Doesn't he know that Ollie couldn't be bothered to do his job and may have done some other bad things as well?"

Let's hear them then. Have you ever stopped to consider something from someone else's perspective? Have you ever considered that corruption in the real world can stem from legitimate injustice as well? Do you think you always have the whole story when you get mad at how money is spent elsewhere? Or are you just always right? There's a common thread in all of that and it's a lack of transparency. The University is now unequivocally guilty, but hey, it's convenient this time!

"Do you expect me to shed a tear over a rich guy who was bad at his job not getting 10 mil"?

No. I expect you to shed a tear for your own continued involvement in a bureaucracy of which you're the victim. I expect you to begin recognizing the monopoly the school and the NCAA has over YOU. I expect you to recognize the danger in foregoing a democratic process because a couple biased parties decided that they were owed one.

"I dunno man, he broke the contract!"

Go talk to his lawyer then. Truth be told, I don't give a damn about whether Ollie gets this much money or that much money. There are more important things in the world.

I care about my school lying to me. I care about the fact that my school has been victimized by this shady business more than any other. I care about the fact that corruption breeds corruption, and if you don't have the courage to stop the cycle when the arrow lands on you, what's the point of even pretending you have an identity at all?

I don't care about what corporations or institutions can do to technically get away with things. I care about we can do. I care about our fanbase having a voice that represents us and not the status quo. Try being different, try being original. Ask yourselves what you want your role in this process to be. Follow my lead if you want the school to represent you and follow their lead if you want it to represent everything that's wrong with America. If you think you're progressive, if you think you're state's better than Alabama or Georgia because we're more educated, more enlightened? This is a test. Enter gate one and live up to your word or enter gate two and be a hypocrite.

This board has been great to me. I'm sincerely thankful to Tom, the rest of the admins, and everyone else who has made such a difference in my life these last eight years. I respect the intelligence of the people here tremendously and hope to continue learning from you moving forward.

But this isn't a difference in opinion for me, it's a crossroads. I'm not grandstanding, or posturing, or moralizing. I'm simply appealing to your appetite for listening to someone who's a lot more like you and a lot more invested in this matter than the noise coming from the other side.

The thing about this is that we matter so much more than Ollie's lawyers. The system is so stacked against anyone in Ollie's shoes that he's forced to defend himself by denying the allegations rather than mentioning the fact that, oh yeah, this is a business and they added the buyout to his contract because he was being pursued by freaking NBA teams.

We fund all of this and it's time for us to start having a say in what happens. Sure, you *can* ignore it. It's entertainment after all, so you're not going to go to hell for unknowingly ratifying things you can't see.

It's just that, the things you think you're doing in the interest of your school aren't always in the interest of your school. It's in the interest of our school to demonstrate a fighting spirit against the things that have largely ruined college sports. It's in the interest of our school to set the pace for change in our country.

I want you to think for a minute about who this is coming from. I'm not your gender studies professor or a social rights activist. I'm not Jay Bilas or Shaun King. I'm the person that studies hours of game tape, travels eight hours to and from tournaments without leaving my car, and writes mountains of paragraphs on January games, all for nothing. If I'm mad enough about something to leave, you should pay attention.

So I'll make things very simple and encourage you to boycott the program until Ollie is paid his buyout money and/or Benedict and Herbst are removed from their positions at the school. It's not the most important cause but it's the most important cause that's ours. DM me if you want to learn more about why I'm doing this or what we can do to maximize impact. Otherwise, have a nice life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom