Brandon Austin to PC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Brandon Austin to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Maybe Ollie isn't a good recruiter? Is that possible? Or are we just going after the AD for the AUDACITY of not giving a long term contract to a guy with ZEEEEROOOO head coaching experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score
Maybe Ollie isn't a good recruiter? Is that possible? Or are we just going after the AD for the AUDACITY of not giving a long term contract to a guy with ZEEEEROOOO head coaching experience?

Well, caps definitely make your case better. I think Ollie has a much better resume for his role than Manuel does for his. And. more importantly if you hire someone to a role you need to give them the chance to succeed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whaddya mean "we?" You didn't want Ollie for head coach and you like what Manuel did. Basketball people disagree with you, but you are obviously welcome to keep rooting for Ollie to fail so Warde will hire your favorite coach du jour. You're not alone either.

But yes, we understand that if Ollie does really, really well against these long odds, you'll be willing to support him. And you might even later claim, to others who don't know any better, that you were always a fan. You definitely won't be alone there.

zls44

Reaction Score
I'm not rooting for him to fail. I think he's done a great job. But this absurd blind loyalty to the guy is just insane to me. Why should he have a long-term contract? What basis is there for that?!?!?!

Never mind the fact that nobody will go after JC for the embarrassing way he manipulated the program and the process at the end of a great career.

NOBODY IS BIGGER THAN THE PROGRAM.

NOBODY.

zls44

Reaction Score
Whaddya mean "we?" You didn't want Ollie for head coach and you like what Manuel did. Basketball people disagree with you, but you are obviously welcome to keep rooting for Ollie to fail so Warde will hire your favorite coach du jour.

I'd rather have a coach who has taken a mid major to a Final Four and made another solid NCAA run and IM the unrealistic one? Ok.

Oh, I forgot, all the coaches he is going against like him.

Did it ever occur to you that they like him at UConn because he poses far less of a threat than a coach who has actually accomplished something? Do you think ANY of those other coaches give an iota of a damn how good Kevin Ollie would be for UConn? Of course not. They only care about having to coach and recruit against the guy.

Coaching wise, no complaints. Recruting? He can't stop missing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm not rooting for him to fail. I think he's done a great job. But this absurd blind loyalty to the guy is just insane to me. Why should he have a long-term contract? What basis is there for that?!?!?!

Never mind the fact that nobody will go after JC for the embarrassing way he manipulated the program and the process at the end of a great career.

NOBODY IS BIGGER THAN THE PROGRAM.

NOBODY.
You realize that the CAPS make you sound like even more of a , right?

Do you have a problem equating a two-year contract with a long-term deal?

Go after JC all you want big guy. Show us what you got.

The irony of people like this professing to care about the "program" when they don't even have a clue about what it took to build it.

Spoiled little brats. Maybe you do deserve to wallow in irrelevance so you have a scintilla of a perspective.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Recruting? He can't stop missing.
Thank you. Just thank you for that. You really couldn't expose yourself any better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm not rooting for him to fail.
I'd rather have a coach who has taken a mid major to a Final Four and made another solid NCAA run

Did it ever occur to you that they like him at UConn because he poses far less of a threat than a coach who has actually accomplished something?
This is just too precious.

You know, it'd be much easier for you if you just start rooting for Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Seriously, the guy doesn't get it. Goes after Ollie and Calhoun. What are you even doing on this board.

Reaction Score
Says the who spent a month on UConns scout board pretending he was a UConn fan being an incredible a. What are you, 12?

put down the bottle; show me ONE post where I "pretended" to be a UCONN fan? I'm here to talk hoops with intelligent basketball fans. Please exclude yourself. For the guy who continues to show his class, I can't say anything about you that your posts haven't already exposed. Way to be an internet tough guy.

Reaction Score
Well, this sucks.

Not so much that UConn lost Brandon Austin, but that we have to deal with another 10-page thread where PC fans try to act like their school is gaining ground on UConn.

Yea but we are are own worst enemy with a 10 page thread about their recruit, kind of gives the impression that we are worried that they are gaining on us. (damn! I just contributed)

Reaction Score
The issue really is what coach that is promoting team chemistry and "all 10 toes in" would not make this recruit or any recruit for that matter earn his playing time. This scenario breeds resentment. With college players PT (and/or how you are used) is everything. Just look at Coleman leaving to Gonzaga for instance. I don't think these recruiting tactics lend themselves to the most amicable of relationships between coach/player and player/players. That is 1 reason Calhoun never made these promises to recruits. The by-product usually of this recruiting tactic was top players that had future NBA careers often commented how that mentality was the healthiest way to get the most of their talent.

You need more than talent to win big. Kevin Ollie will prove that.

zls44

Reaction Score
Seriously, the guy doesn't get it. Goes after Ollie and Calhoun. What are you even doing on this board.

I root for UConn and whats in the schools best interests. Announcing your retirement two weeks before the season and forcing the school to hire an unproven asistant doesn't strike me as an optimal course of action. I hope Im wrong.

zls44

Reaction Score
This is just too precious.

You know, it'd be much easier for you if you just start rooting for Kentucky.

Note the complete lack of an actual counter-argument. But by all means, please continue to ad-hominem it up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I root for UConn and whats in the schools best interests. Announcing your retirement two weeks before the season and forcing the school to hire an unproven asistant doesn't strike me as an optimal course of action. I hope Im wrong.

He may have timed his decision to force the school or maybe he had planned on rejoining the team all along but the injury and surgery forced his decision. Even if your assertion is true and his action was underhanded, I feel he has done a lot of positive things for UConn that offset this action. There is not a coach in the world that would have stayed at UConn after the first NC with the contract South Carolina offered JC. UConn got twenty plus more years of his dedication and your bitching about this one act. I think your perspective is overly jaded on this issue.

Reaction Score

Of course, he's not a 70 year old that broke his hip. At 70 years old with a broken hip, you would run a marathon, because you're a better person.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Passion about our school is one thing, but some people on here take it way too far. It's as if a differing opinion is a personal attack. Chill.
I don't think a 2 year contract would have done much more in a recruit's eyes than the current 7 month contract, other than for someone coming in as a 1 and done. I'm glad so many coaches like and respect him, but I need to see him coach and the kids respond. Per Warde in the HC, he likes what he sees so far and maybe it happens sooner than later, but it's a critical hire for us and due diligence has to be done.

Reaction Score
Passion about our school is one thing, but some people on here take it way too far. It's as if a differing opinion is a personal attack. Chill.
I don't think a 2 year contract would have done much more in a recruit's eyes than the current 7 month contract, other than for someone coming in as a 1 and done. I'm glad so many coaches like and respect him, but I need to see him coach and the kids respond. Per Warde in the HC, he likes what he sees so far and maybe it happens sooner than later, but it's a critical hire for us and due diligence has to be done.

Are you looking at our recruiting, by any chance?
How can they play basketball without players?

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Are you looking at our recruiting, by any chance?
How can they play basketball without players?
My point is that I don't think there's a difference between a 1 or 2 year contract in a recruit's mind. I'm also not saying that the lack of a contract isn't hurting recruiting. I just look at the football situation where many thought we were getting a good coach that was highly regarded by his peers (just like KO) and now those same people that liked the hire are screaming buyout and fire him/them. I don't want the same situation in hoops. If KO is as good as we think or hope he is, he'll get his contract, start recruiting with confidence and this will be a temporary blip on the radar. As of now we only lose Evans so the cupboard won't be bare. I don't think either Shabazz or Boat appear ready for the next level, at this point, not that that would stop them from declaring.

Reaction Score
My point is that I don't think there's a difference between a 1 or 2 year contract in a recruit's mind. I'm also not saying that the lack of a contract isn't hurting recruiting. I just look at the football situation where many thought we were getting a good coach that was highly regarded by his peers (just like KO) and now those same people that liked the hire are screaming buyout and fire him/them. I don't want the same situation in hoops. If KO is as good as we think or hope he is, he'll get his contract, start recruiting with confidence and this will be a temporary blip on the radar. As of now we only lose Evans so the cupboard won't be bare. I don't think either Shabazz or Boat appear ready for the next level, at this point, not that that would stop them from declaring.

Coaches are always given the support of the department, whether they are worthy or not. In this instance, we have an AD speaking to the media about concerns he has about the coach.

That's not at all comparable to negative recruiting from others pointing out that a coach's 3 year-contract is a ruse or whatever. It's a very big deal. Again, look at Facey. The kid committed a long while ago. His father said that Herbst told them point blank that Ollie was taking over for Calhoun in the future (not this year, but beyond, 2013 or more). What more proof do you need? Isn't it obvious that Ollie's status is hurting us bigtime here?

caw

Reaction Score

It's a huge difference for a few reasons:

• The first shows no faith in the coach, if you don't think that reflects to the recruits, you are wrong
  • The first also makes it a complete uncertainty, when they sign, if they sign early, over who the coach will be when the recruit arrives on campus
Those are huge differences. I wouldn't let my kid commit to a school where the coach was in that situation unless he really loved the school, not the coach, but the school. Not many recruits are in that situation these days.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
It's a huge difference for a few reasons:

• The first shows no faith in the coach, if you don't think that reflects to the recruits, you are wrong
  • The first also makes it a complete uncertainty, when they sign, if they sign early, over who the coach will be when the recruit arrives on campus
Those are huge differences. I wouldn't let my kid commit to a school where the coach was in that situation unless he really loved the school, not the coach, but the school. Not many recruits are in that situation these days.
How can an AD have faith in a coach he's never seen coach an actual game? Nobody buys anything sight unseen. We're in a tough spot here. The only solution to bridge us (me and those who disagree with me) would be a multi year deal with a low buyout. Recruits get the appearance of a coach sticking around and the school gets the flexibility to change course if the results dictate it.

caw

Reaction Score
How can an AD have faith in a coach he's never seen coach an actual game? Nobody buys anything sight unseen. We're in a tough spot here. The only solution to bridge us (me and those who disagree with me) would be a multi year deal with a low buyout. Recruits get the appearance of a coach sticking around and the school gets the flexibility to change course if the results dictate it.

Did I say he should? It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't or should or shouldn't. What matters, for recruits, is what he has shown and how it relates to them. He has shown zero faith in Ollie and it is reflected in how recruiting has gone. That is a difference between a 1 and 2 year deal.

Ollie could go 29-1 (not likely but theoretically) but if he doesn't get a multi-year extension, no recruit is going to come here.

Reaction Score

This is what we've been saying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog