Bouknight - What’s best for him? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bouknight - What’s best for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous statement. It's a league that drafts young players--19/20-year-olds--banking on their development. Can you give me a few examples of lottery picks who didn't get a second chance or adequate time to develop
Ben McLemore (probably the most concerning comparison)
Xavier Henry
Noah Vonleh
Jahlil Okafor (already mentioned)
Brandon Knight
Josh Selby

Reaction Score
Of all the takes going on in this thread, I'm most amazed at the people who don't think Bouk can contribute, as in not even a bench piece, next season.

Reaction Score
Who's lambasting? I see a lot of praise mixed with honest criticism.
There have been 15 threads about this. Just wish people would talk about what he actually needs to improve on without saying he isn’t ready to be treated like an adult. That’s all. If people want to talk about areas of improvement, completely fine with me.

I have seen some pretty nasty comments from UConn “fans” on twitter about him. It’s really disappointing.

If you are talking about areas of improvement, perfectly fine. Just feels like the board is beating a dead horse by creating a new thread about it every single day.

Reaction Score
Of all the takes going on in this thread, I'm most amazed at the people who don't think Bouk can contribute, as in not even a bench piece, next season.
No one is saying he can't contribute, the discussion is what is the best decision for maximizing career earnings in total

Reaction Score
Yeah this guy ineligible for boneyard hanging because of lawsuit threats and everyone middle school bullies him.

shaking my damn head.
It's amazing, but is what it is I guess.

Reaction Score
Maybe that is true, maybe not. Point being no one should be protected and off limits if you post on yard. Especially if you make a huge deal about quitting threatening to put site out of business and come back.
For all @Deepster 's flaws, I'm sure he knew what was right.

Reaction Score
No one is saying he can't contribute, the discussion is what is the best decision for maximizing career earnings in total
Maybe it would be better for his career earnings if he stayed, but the thing is, there is no way to know that, so you have to take the 8ish million dollars now and hope it’s for the best. You just can’t risk coming back and getting injured again when the money is available now, no matter where he gets drafted. I agree that in a perfect world, he would benefit from another year of development, but unfortunately that’s just not how it works anymore.

Reaction Score
Really strange to bring up Rudy and Donyell- two dudes who had(and one who is still having) long NBA careers. But then again I've never been in the middle urinal between those two, so what do I know?
They know The League and could put things in perspective. This focus many have on rushing out one year earlier is silly. Do it the right way and one that a player is comfortable that he has gotten what he’s needed out of college for him. Not some Internet poster who claims he knows where a guy is going to be drafted and what’s best for his life.

Reaction Score
Three pages in and no one has brought up the truth.

Making a Final Four does nothing for you as an NBA prospect.

This isn't Lew Alcindor's UCLA. Bouk's value is at a point where college cannot increase his position.....even if he leads us to a national championship. See Ja Morant. He had a 2nd rd loss last year and it didn't hurt him in the least.
Are you saying it didn’t help Rip, Emeka, Kemba or Bazz?

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the next thread after Bouk announces he is gone.
everyone is wishing him well. I have said that nothing would make me happier than to eat a tasty crow sandwich if he is selected in the lottery. We are all just sharing our opinions on the status of his game.

I haven't seen anyone trashing him, calling him names, or saying he is not an NBA player (He is). I have seen honest criticisms that Bouknight will certainly hear from NBA scouts as he test the draft waters.

I promise you (minus any trolls) if he declares we will all be wishing him nothing but the best and hope he makes multiple all star games and hundreds of millions of dollars.

As one of the few posters saying he should come back, I am stating what I think is the best way to make the most money over his career. He will be listening to people significantly more informed than this entire board combined and I will respect and root for whatever decision he makes.

Edit: After re-reading some post I take back my first sentence. I'm personally am wishing Bouk the best and proud of what he's done. I hope his work at UConn isn't finished but look forward to seeing him at the next level whenever he decides to go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The best decision for maximizing career earnings for Bouk is to leave for the NBA. That’s it. It’s really that simple.

Reaction Score
You embarrass only yourself. Try reading, if it's in your toolbox, post #55.
This is what you want me to read? This makes your first post sound even worse...
That is not at all what I think and I'm sorry that is how you interpreted my statement. Ben Gordan was one of our top performing guards ever and won a national championship. There was never any sign he was suffering the way he was. Bouk doesn't snow nearly the confidence. Make of it what you will.

Reaction Score
The NBA has structure. This isn't 1994. It's not even 2006. The NBA improved the transition process immensely. Ray Allen himself usually speaks at the transition program.

His team will invest in him. The owners these days are pretty much all savvy business people who know they need to invest in their assets. Personal trainers, team nutritionists, and usually personal chefs. Countless strength and training staff. Business and brand training. Social media training. NBA teams are now also required to have mental health staff.

He won't be any significantly less lonely or more ready for the NBA travel schedule if he leaves at age 21 vs. age 20. But he will be graded more harshly and will have to meet much higher standards and benchmarks by NBA front offices. He will have to absolutely dominate college basketball next season. Could he? Sure. But he's already passed those benchmarks this season. There's 0 reason to risk it.

Additionally, the money for the 30th pick has doubled since 2006. Bouk will make a minimum of $8.2 million and more likely in the $13-18 million (pick #15 or #8) for his first 4 years. The money is literally too good to pass up.
It’s funny to me that all the guys who think James is a can’t miss this year think it’s to risky to wait a year and go when he is better prepared.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
It’s in your interest that he comes back. Just be honest for once.

Defining statement of work with the parenthetical made me laugh.
I love it when people do a parenthetical for initials and then never use the initialism again

Reaction Score
It’s funny to me that all the guys who think James is a can’t miss this year think it’s to risky to wait a year and go when he is better prepared.
Pluses of leaving if you’re a lottery pick: millions of dollars, superior coaching and S&C, the ability to devote all your time to your craft.

Minuses: a creepy old guy on a message board that refers to himself in the third person will be sad.

Reaction Score
The best decision for maximizing career earnings for Bouk is to leave for the NBA. That’s it. It’s really that simple.
Its not about your first contract, its about your second. The more prepared for your first contract the more you will maximize your second.

Reaction Score
Why are you just throwing out names? Where's Jeremy Lamb right now? Where's Rudy Gay?

Daniels nor Hamilton was projected 1st round picks, let alone consenus lottery picks. Neither was in the same stratosphere as Bouk athletically.
Makes no difference....IMO Bouk is not ready and while he has some decent talent, his deficiencies were completely exposed at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Its not about your first contract, its about your second. The more prepared for your first contract the more you will maximize your second.
Exactly right and that’s what the guys who have been through the process have the experience and wisdom to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom