Bouknight - What’s best for him? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bouknight - What’s best for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All of these "it would be best if he stayed for his development" takes are so paternalistic, and frankly, reek of white knightness. When a baseball player gets drafted out of high school for 5% of what Bouk would make people say "good for him", but apparently Bouk needs more "maturation"? FOH
Come back and risk additional injuries for zero dollars or get paid to train with the best of the best? Hmmmm.

You might want to listen to guys who actually went through the process and respect their experience and point of view, as Chief has.

Reaction Score
It may have started to change, but it was nowhere close to where the NBA is today. The Houston Rockets led the NBA in 3PA at 26.6 per game in 2014 before he was drafted. The Cleveland Cavaliers are 30th in the NBA at 27.5 in 2021. The biggest issue is Okafor is a slow center who can't guard anyone
I hear that, but its impossible to say what could've, should've, would've happened. I just think in Jahlil's case another year of structured discipline with coach K, and more dedication to improving his body and getting in better shape could've made a difference. On the other hand he could've proven how lazy he is and dropped even further in the draft. Really don't know what could've been.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah this guy ineligible for boneyard hanging because of lawsuit threats and everyone middle school bullies him.

shaking my damn head.
AW - love you man but this hanging stuff is complete BS

Reaction Score
you think Ben Gordon’s post retirement mental health issues are related to his decision to come out after his junior year?
That is not at all what I think and I'm sorry that is how you interpreted my statement. Ben Gordan was one of our top performing guards ever and won a national championship. There was never any sign he was suffering the way he was. Bouk doesn't snow nearly the confidence. Make of it what you will.

Reaction Score
I love how everyone loves to bring up Scottie Barnes - the guy is 6"9" wieghs 240 lbs has the handle of a PG and according to Juwan Howard a can't miss pro - 5* consensus AA and #6 overall coming out of HS - Ive seen him do things athletically as impressive as Bouk - but more importantly - he can walk onto an NBA court right now and be physically able to compete
Believe it or not, you can still develop physically after you leave for a draft at 21 years old.

Here are some other names of players projected in the lottery that need to develop physically: Jalen Green, Zaire Williams, Evan Mobley just off the top of my head. I’m sure there are more.

I know that Bouknight and Scottie Barnes aren’t even remotely similar players, my point was, Scottie Barnes is no where near a finished product and he is still projected high first round.

I don’t know why people are acting like you leave for the draft and can’t be developed after that. Have you seen pictures of NBA players when they first get drafted? I can think of so many players who were stick figures when they got drafted and are now doing great in the league, and have benefit from NBA strength coaches.

Reaction Score
It's not 1994. Donyell's experience is irrelevant.

There isn't a single reason why Bouknight should return for his junior season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can see it now, April 5th at Ted's. Chief and James in the corner as they talk about his future and how James needs to mature. A joking punch to the shoulder as Chief says he's gonna need to toughen up to star in the NBA and make millions. If he comes back to UConn he'll never be lonely again, Chief will make sure he gets all the UConn girls he wants.

The clock strikes 8, and simultaneously dings start going off on students' phones around the bar. A notification from james.bouknight, it's an IG Live. He's in NYC, just finishing up a workout with Chris Brickley. Still a bit sweaty with a towel around his neck, he announces he'll be declaring for the NBA Draft and focusing his attention on the NBA Combine. He wishes things could have ended differently and on a high note, but he'll always have love for Husky Nation.

All at once, the kids around the bar put their phones away and return to their drinks, ignoring the man in the corner once and for all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If, as we all believe, the NBA is about to make James a multi millionaire, I don’t see how he can walk away from that. But that’s a different question from whether he is personally ready to make the jump. It’s a huge lifestyle change from college.

Regardless of his decision, I wish him the best. I hope he’s getting good counsel, and I know Dan Hurley will be honest with him.

Reaction Score
you think Ben Gordon’s post retirement mental health issues are related to his decision to come out after his junior year?
We have Kolumbo blaming Gordon's mental health issues on going to the NBA after his junior year and jibsey thinking Bouknight is basing his decision off of posters on the boneyard saying he should go.

Reaction Score
DeAndre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton.... Where are they now? Did either ever play a single game in the league? Dre has played in Australia since he got cut, and Hamilton is now in Turkey....

Yes, they are getting paid, but they probably would have done better if they each had stayed longer. I do not see Bouk doing much better if he leaves now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do I think he as I would have at age 20 - benefit from another year of structure - this time not interrupted by suspension, injury or covid interruptions - absolutely!
You might want to listen to guys who actually went through the process and respect their experience and point of view, as Chief has.
The NBA has structure. This isn't 1994. It's not even 2006. The NBA improved the transition process immensely. Ray Allen himself usually speaks at the transition program.

His team will invest in him. The owners these days are pretty much all savvy business people who know they need to invest in their assets. Personal trainers, team nutritionists, and usually personal chefs. Countless strength and training staff. Business and brand training. Social media training. NBA teams are now also required to have mental health staff.

He won't be any significantly less lonely or more ready for the NBA travel schedule if he leaves at age 21 vs. age 20. But he will be graded more harshly and will have to meet much higher standards and benchmarks by NBA front offices. He will have to absolutely dominate college basketball next season. Could he? Sure. But he's already passed those benchmarks this season. There's 0 reason to risk it.

Additionally, the money for the 30th pick has doubled since 2006. Bouk will make a minimum of $8.2 million and more likely in the $13-18 million (pick #15 or #8) for his first 4 years. The money is literally too good to pass up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah this guy ineligible for boneyard hanging because of lawsuit threats and everyone middle school bullies him.
Could you show me where I threaten a lawsuit?
And checked with @Deepster if I told him to exempt me from a hanging?

And yeah, that’s why I take positions I know 80% of people will be against - because I don’t want people to disagree with me.

Jim Calhoun would say - Are you really that stupid? I will just say you are wrong on all three points. Strike three.

Last edited:

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Really strange to bring up Rudy and Donyell- two dudes who had(and one who is still having) long NBA careers. But then again I've never been in the middle urinal between those two, so what do I know?

Reaction Score
If I was reading a different teams message board and I saw them creating 10 different threads to lambaste their own team’s potential lottery pick, I would think very very little of that fan base. Not a good look at all.

Reaction Score
DeAndre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton.... Where are they now? Did either ever play a single game in the league? Dre has played in Australia since he got cut, and Hamilton is now in Turkey....

Yes, they are gettinf paid, but they probably would have done better if they each had stayed longer. I do not see Bouk doing much better if he leaves now.

Why are you just throwing out names? Where's Jeremy Lamb right now? Where's Rudy Gay?

Daniels nor Hamilton was projected 1st round picks, let alone consenus lottery picks. Neither was in the same stratosphere as Bouk athletically.

Reaction Score
Three pages in and no one has brought up the truth.

Making a Final Four does nothing for you as an NBA prospect.

This isn't Lew Alcindor's UCLA. Bouk's value is at a point where college cannot increase his position.....even if he leads us to a national championship. See Ja Morant. He had a 2nd rd loss last year and it didn't hurt him in the least.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
It’s yet another Bouknight thread, and yes there have been too many with the well meaning Casual Fan conventional wisdom that he should grab the quick bucks rather than invest in a profitable long term career and growth in himself.

Chief remembers Donyell saying how difficult his rookie year was off the court. As I recall, the rookie salary cap was going into effect the next year, so despite really wanting to stay in school, Donyell left school. What he found was that home practices and games were tough because the married players went home and he was lonely. Quite frankly, Donyell actually liked the road better since at least the team was at the same hotel. Either way the age difference mattered. At that age a year or two matters. Rudy Gay said similar things as Donyell.

For Bouknight it’s even more complicated, because he’s not had a true basketball statement of work (SOW) and the information many are relying on to state their opinion, is outdated information. Like Donyell he enjoys the UConn experience. Additionally, James has things he can work on in terms of maturity, conditioning /weight room and on the court. It’s in his interest to come back.
This is hilarious. Pour out your beer and go to bed. What a silly post.

Reaction Score
We have Kolumbo blaming Gordon's mental health issues on going to the NBA after his junior year and jibsey thinking Bouknight is basing his decision off of posters on the boneyard saying he should go.
You embarrass only yourself. Try reading, if it's in your toolbox, post #55.

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, you can still develop physically after you leave for a draft at 21 years old.

Here are some other names of players projected in the lottery that need to develop physically: Jalen Green, Zaire Williams, Evan Mobley just off the top of my head. I’m sure there are more.

I know that Bouknight and Scottie Barnes aren’t even remotely similar players, my point was, Scottie Barnes is no where near a finished product and he is still projected high first round.

I don’t know why people are acting like you leave for the draft and can’t be developed after that. Have you seen pictures of NBA players when they first get drafted? I can think of so many players who were stick figures when they got drafted and are now doing great in the league, and have benefit from NBA strength coaches.
Every year the vast majority of guys drafted need to work on their bodies, that's really not the point I'm trying to make. What I'm saying is out of all the people you just listed, bouknight has by far the one with most work to do. The most concerning thing for me was his inability to keep he feet under him, and how he was always picking himself off the floor, and (despite what the college only viewers will say) the NBA plays much tougher form defense and you need to be physically ready.

Reaction Score
Yes people do develop in the NBA, but the NBA moves on from people very quickly if they aren't ready to contribute. There are very few second chances for guys that aren't ready immediately.

This is a ridiculous statement. It's a league that drafts young players--19/20-year-olds--banking on their development. Can you give me a few examples of lottery picks who didn't get a second chance or adequate time to develop?

Reaction Score
If I was reading a different teams message board and I saw them creating 10 different threads to lambaste their own team’s potential lottery pick, I would think very very little of that fan base. Not a good look at all.
Who's lambasting? I see a lot of praise mixed with honest criticism.

Reaction Score
This hasn't been our best offseason. This thread is the basketball equivalent of shooting 21-65 from the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom