Bouknight - What’s best for him? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bouknight - What’s best for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This whole discussion and thread assumes he’s going to be told what almost everyone expects, that he will be a lottery pick. And a sophomore lottery pick doesn’t come back because they might be a top 5 pick as a junior. That’s just not how college and the NBA works now.
I agree with you, I'm just saying in my humble opinion as someone who watches a lot of NBA basketball his draft stock has taken a major hit. I believe even Bouknight would acknowledge his performance down the stretch was poor compared to expectations. I love the kid and selfishly hope he comes back, but I wont be shocked if we get to pick 15 and he's still waiting for his name to be called. I'm just sharing my opinion and would love to eat a tasty crow sandwich on draft day.

Reaction Score
It's in his best interest to go pro. Especially with his history of injuries. God willing he never gets a major one at any level. Why would a kid risk their career by getting hurt in college when you can go locked for round 1 and money? Hopefully he succeeds at the next level and can tout UConn.

That said, I'll buy his jersey if he miraculously comes back.

Good luck Bouk!

Reaction Score
I don't agree with Chief about much but he makes a good point here. Clearly it's Bouk's financial advantage to go and he likely will but he has to be comfortable with that decision. Not because of what some "experts" or board posters are saying.

Reaction Score
Youre assuming he is definitely a lottery pick. Never forget Andre Drummond was definitely a top 3 pick and fell to 9. Bouknight should listen to what the NBA scouts tell him. If they say he is a lottery pick he should go, if they say his performance down the stretch hurt his draft stock then he should return. I'm on record saying he is definitely a top 5 pick if he comes back and I don't believe he is a top 5 pick if he leaves, JMO.

I don't get the last sentence. If he was "definitely" a top 5 pick next year he'd be a top 5 pick now. And regardless he's one injury away from being labeled injury prone. He'd have to really take his college game to another level to make up for being a year older

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Come on. From a basketball standpoint he should stay and get stronger/better. But from a financial standpoint he should leave. Need I say more? 99.9% of humans would take the $$$ now.

Reaction Score
I don't get the last sentence. If he was "definitely" a top 5 pick next year he'd be a top 5 pick now. And regardless he's one injury away from being labeled injury prone. He'd have to really take his college game to another level to make up for being a year older
In the past decade, only 3 juniors have been drafted in the top 5 of the draft. He will not help his stock by coming back. His stock is what it is.

Reaction Score
There is no question he has the talent, but his body failed him down the stretch. When you are drafting in the lottery you need to be damn sure that the guy your getting can last 82 games and contribute.

Yes people do develop in the NBA, but the NBA moves on from people very quickly if they aren't ready to contribute. There are very few second chances for guys that aren't ready immediately.

If he comes back with his body improved showing that he can withstand a full college season, then I think more teams in the top 5 will be willing to take a chance on him. With the exception of Zion Williamson or Anthony Davis, no NBA team is drafting a guy who isn't ready for an 82 game schedule next season in the top 5

Reaction Score
It’s in your interest that he comes back. Just be honest for once.

Defining statement of work with the parenthetical made me laugh.
Yes, true I would love James to come back, however that doesn’t impact my advice. Others who I would love see in a UConn uniform another year, I fully supported leaving (Ray, Rip, Okafor, Kemba) come to mind. I wasn’t in favor of either Donyell or Rudy leaving because Chief knew it really wasn’t what they wanted and each had unfinished business that believe it or not, they will tell you today - they wished they had finished. That tells you something, I think that James needs to ponder.

Reaction Score
In the past decade, only 3 juniors have been drafted in the top 5 of the draft. He will not help his stock by coming back. His stock is what it is.
There is also a long list of guys who left too early and never got a second chance after they didn't live up to the hype.

Reaction Score
That’s a short sighted and narrow view - it’s really about the contract after 3 years and what makes them happy and is best for their development.

Reaction Score
The rookie contract for the last pick in the first round of the NBA draft, pays 1.6, 1.6 and 1.7 million dollars for the first three years and the first two are guaranteed.

The 15th pick gets 2.7, 2.8, and 3.0 for the first three years.

Reaction Score
There is no question he has the talent, but his body failed him down the stretch. When you are drafting in the lottery you need to be damn sure that the guy your getting can last 82 games and contribute.

Yes people do develop in the NBA, but the NBA moves on from people very quickly if they aren't ready to contribute. There are very few second chances for guys that aren't ready immediately.

If he comes back with his body improved showing that he can withstand a full college season, then I think more teams in the top 5 will be willing to take a chance on him. With the exception of Zion Williamson or Anthony Davis, no NBA team is drafting a guy who isn't ready for an 82 game schedule next season in the top 5

1. In this era of load management, 82 games is not one of their biggest concerns

2. The NBA does not move on from first round picks very quickly. You have to be a real disaster for them to not pick up your options, and most busts will get at least a second chance. Especially now with more roster flexibility and the d league.

Reaction Score
People have been suggesting he can take the quick bucks (In this case a minimum of $10,000,000) AND work on "maturity, conditioning /weight room and on the court." You can work on that stuff in the NBA.

The reason to come back to school is not because he might be lonely in the NBA.
The NBA treats you like an adult which is ok for some guys but others would benefit from another year of a structured college program.

Reaction Score
The rookie contract for the last pick in the first round of the NBA draft, pays 1.6, 1.6 and 1.7 million dollars for the first three years and the first two are guaranteed.

The 15th pick gets 2.7, 2.8, and 3.0 for the first three years.
And it’s really about investing in yourself so you score on the second contract where the financial stakes are even much higher.

Reaction Score
1. In this era of load management, 82 games is not one of their biggest concerns

2. The NBA does not move on from first round picks very quickly. You have to be a real disaster for them to not pick up your options, and most busts will get at least a second chance. Especially now with more roster flexibility and the d league.
Load management is for veteran ALL STARS not new draft picks (edit: minus generational talents like zion williamson). and to your second point, I'm more concerned about career earnings overall. Would Jahlil Okafor have benefited from another year of maturity in college? No one knows the answer but I would imagine he'd be making more money overall with more tutelage from Coach K.

Reaction Score
That’s a short sighted and narrow view - it’s really about the contract after 3 years and what makes them happy and is best for their development.
He can get to his second contract faster if he goes this year. He’s a projected lottery pick, maybe he slips a bit, we’ll see. He can do what he wants obviously, but turning down millions of dollars to come back to play for free when it won’t help his stock much is a major risk.

Reaction Score
Load management is for veteran ALL STARS not new draft picks (edit: minus generational talents like zion williamson). and to your second point, I'm more concerned about career earnings overall. Would Jahlil Okafor have benefited from another year of maturity in college? No one knows the answer but I would imagine he'd be making more money overall with more tutelage from Coach K.
Jahlil Okafor didn't need another year in college, he needed a time machine to go back to the year 2000

Reaction Score
Do I think he as I would have at age 20 - benefit from another year of structure - this time not interrupted by suspension, injury or covid interruptions - absolutely!
That is not how the NBA works these days. The train of thought is outdated. Obviously he has more maturing to do. Every 20 year old in the draft does.

We are never going to agree on this, so I will agree to disagree and leave it at that

Reaction Score
Jahlil Okafor didn't need another year in college, he needed a time machine to go back to the year 2000
Respectfully he was the number 3 overall pick and the game had already started to change by the time he was drafted. The biggest negative to his game was his lack of maturity.

Reaction Score
Yet another Bouk thread (YABT). Only this time, our esteemed Chief (OEC) waxes poetic (WP) about how Bouk should stay at UConn (SAU) because he may be lonely after practice (LAP) in the National Basketball Association (NBA).

Marvel Studios Laugh GIF by Disney+
He’s living it not you.

Reaction Score
Respectfully he was the number 3 overall pick and the game had already started to change by the time he was drafted. The biggest negative to his game was his lack of maturity.
It may have started to change, but it was nowhere close to where the NBA is today. The Houston Rockets led the NBA in 3PA at 26.6 per game in 2014 before he was drafted. The Cleveland Cavaliers are 30th in the NBA at 27.5 in 2021. The biggest issue is Okafor is a slow center who can't guard anyone

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thinking it’s best for a sophomore lottery pick to come back to school is the definition of a casual fan.
are you and everyone else ready to bet your house that he will be a lottery pick?

His college career was an audition for the NBA. He passed.

Please elaborate on what levels did he pass? His 3pt shooting? His close quarters ball handling? His leadership? His physical make up? His ability to sparkle under the bright lights? How much do we know about his personal life - he has had one incident that was for the most part brushed under the rug. His body language the last 2 games would cause me concern.

I want every UConn player to get every opportunity that they deserve and if the NBA people feel Bouk, at this point in his career, based on what they have seen, is a lottery pick - God Bless him and I have 0 issues with him getting the $ and going. But IMHO I do not see a sure fife lottery pick at all. I do see someone with crazy athletic ability but the package is not there right now. He is the least prepared of most any UConn player that was drafted except maybe DD. I love Bouks game but he lacks in many areas that another year of college ball may help him attain. Or he may be doing it in the G League, if he desires that it's great. However, I realize that DH has recruited with Bouk leaving in mind so all speculation may be a mute point.

I love how everyone loves to bring up Scottie Barnes - the guy is 6"9" wieghs 240 lbs has the handle of a PG and according to Juwan Howard a can't miss pro - 5* consensus AA and #6 overall coming out of HS - Ive seen him do things athletically as impressive as Bouk - but more importantly - he can walk onto an NBA court right now and be physically able to compete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom