Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
stop it get help.png

Reaction Score
Umm, the whole premise started with, if true. The fact that people are desperate to win again is not a free pass to excuse behavior that is determined to be dangerous. What is known is he is alleged to have stolen a car. We know this because the girl whose car was taken said her property was taken without her permission. That is textbook car theft, absent innocent mistake or some other not yet understood exculpatory facts. The officer smelled alcohol on his breath. We don’t Know if there was legal intoxication, so we can’t assume he was impaired. Again, if true, the question is what should be done. I don’t see the same level of consternation expressed for those looking for a 1 or 2 game suspension, which must presuppose facts not otherwise known. Maybe he doesn’t deserve any punishment. If he did steal a car and he did drive on campus under the influence or recklessly and he did attempt to evade police, as a responsible adult you should know the correct answer. Again, as a parent with a kid on campus, don’t put your need to win a child’s game above my kid’s safety. There are other responsible athletes doing the right thing. End of story.

You leave out that she took back her statement and therefore he did not take her car without permission. Everything I bolded is wrong and you keep repeating it wont make it become true.

You & Everyone else need to focus on what he is being charged with not what the police report says. That's all hurley and the school will focus on.

Reaction Score
You leave out that she took back her statement and therefore he did not take her car without permission. Everything I bolded is wrong and you keep repeating it wont make it become true.

You & Everyone else need to focus on what he is being charged with not what the police report says. That's all hurley and the school will focus on.

LOL, yea you are right. Its much better that the girl who may or may not have lent him her car was too drunk to have remembered whether or not she gave him permission. And her changing her statement definitely is only because that is the truth, it has nothing to do with crushing social pressure or other influence. Totally fine.

As always around here
The people who are being morality scolds and calling for semester suspension are wrong and overly harsh
The people who are shaking this off as "kids will be kids" are being too accomodating for really stupid and dangerous behavior
As always, the truth and the probable punishment probably lies somewhere in the middle.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Where does it say anywhere that Bouknight specifically was drinking in Ted’s?
I’m sorry. I could have sworn I read that they were at Teds.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This is pretty bad, he stole a car, was speeding, crashed into a pole and another vehicle, didn't have a license, smelled of alcohol, ran from the scene and avoided police.

Objectively speaking, this is a lot worse than a bad decision. Any one of those warrants a suspension. I don't see how you spin this into a stern lecture from the coach.

Once again I ask. Does UConn have any orientation for athletes? Because this happens with frequency. It's time to conclude whatever they are doing doesn't work.
Did he steal a car though? The remainder warrants punishment. I'd opt for probation rather that suspension, regardless of whether the kid was an athlete or not.

Reaction Score
The reason the DUI case can't be proven is that he fled the scene to avoid being tested. Which last I saw was a crime. So people are using the consequence of his crime to give him the benefit of the doubt about DUI. Interesting moral logic. Just looks like consciousness of guilt to me.

But, hey. A winning basketball season covers a multitude of sins.

CL82

Reaction Score
Her original story plays a lot better with her parents, though.
Mom and Dad I was out drinking and invited 20 people who I did not know well back to my apartment and one of them stole my car? Hmmm, I doubt I'd like that narrative all that much better, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL, yea you are right. Its much better that the girl who may or may not have lent him her car was too drunk to have remembered whether or not she gave him permission. And her changing her statement definitely is only because that is the truth, it has nothing to do with crushing social pressure or other influence. Totally fine.

As always around here
The people who are being morality scolds and calling for semester suspension are wrong and overly harsh
The people who are shaking this off as "kids will be kids" are being too accomodating for really stupid and dangerous behavior
As always, the truth and the probable punishment probably lies somewhere in the middle.

I'm just sticking to the truth not made assumptions. Truth is she took back her statement and he is not being charged with grand theft auto. You want to add theft in there to make your point go right ahead but saying he stole a car is a lie.

C

Chief00

Here’s another equally plausible theory. Someone told her to drop the auto theft charge and things would be taken care of and she would benefit financially. Is she doesn’t her life will be made miserable. Absolutely no evidence that it happened but hey Chief’s theory isn’t backed by any either.
LOL - you did not catch the word I used in front of theory - “informed theory”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Umm, the whole premise started with, if true. The fact that people are desperate to win again is not a free pass to excuse behavior that is determined to be dangerous. What is known is he is alleged to have stolen a car. We know this because the girl whose car was taken said her property was taken without her permission. That is textbook car theft, absent innocent mistake or some other not yet understood exculpatory facts.
It’s basic common sense that should apply to any student. Use your head. You don’t want intoxicated students stealing cars and driving around the campus. I don’t my kid or your kid to being a statistic.
You just repeated the lie again.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
oh boy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I can confirm one thing. James Bouknight is hung over this morning. <br><br>And no, that is not intended to be a joke or a witty statement. ‍♂ <a href="https://post original url/3ah54q2Gij">https://post original url/3ah54q2Gij</a></p>&mdash; Eric Gallichio (@EG_CT) <a href="">October 24, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What the hell is that?

Reaction Score
oh boy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I can confirm one thing. James Bouknight is hung over this morning. <br><br>And no, that is not intended to be a joke or a witty statement. ‍♂ <a href="https://post original url/3ah54q2Gij">https://post original url/3ah54q2Gij</a></p>&mdash; Eric Gallichio (@EG_CT) <a href="">October 24, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't understand some people. Whats the point of tweeting that he is hung over this morning? A 19 year old hung over can bounce back in 2 hours and be himself again. Is it to try and show look he is drinking again a month after the incident?

pj

Reaction Score
Completely false, but don't let that stop you Javert. From the Courant article:

"At 5 a.m., police knocked on the door of Bouknight’s apartment, getting no response, and called his cell phone, which went right to voicemail. At 3 p.m., UConn police were informed by state’s attorney Matthew Gedansky that attorney Robert Britt had contacted the state’s attorney and said he represented Bouknight, who was willing to cooperate in the investigation “and fully admit to his involvement in the incident.”

You have to give credit where credit is due. Bouknight screwed up royally at night ... but in the morning he knew to go to good people, probably the coaches, tell them what happened, and let them help him. By noon or so he was represented by the best attorney in the state on such matters and was following professional advice to get the best possible resolution of the situation. By 3 pm the resolution was already in process.

Reaction Score
The reason the DUI case can't be proven is that he fled the scene to avoid being tested. Which last I saw was a crime. So people are using the consequence of his crime to give him the benefit of the doubt about DUI. Interesting moral logic. Just looks like consciousness of guilt to me.

But, hey. A winning basketball season covers a multitude of sins.
Guilty before proven innocent, got it, thanks.

CL82

Reaction Score
1571928576686.png

Not a good look for Bouk... or for young Mr. Gallichio.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Maybe I’m alone here. But I’m just not willing to throw this season away to prove a point. I admire those who feel differently
You admire those with little to no common sense?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I wish people in this thread kept this kind of energy about people who are non athletes getting in trouble with the law. If people really felt like this about police we should easily have police reform in America.
We should have police reform in this country.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
An October tradition in Storrs. Kids adjusting poorly to freedom & college. Hurley is paid to win. I think he runs a tight ship. But, heavy Discipline hurts his own career mission. You think he misses Florida or the Charleston Tourney?

Reaction Score
If you don't mind I will step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

Anyone else hoping there is a national change to a drinking age of 18? I mean, come on:
Legal drinking age - Wikipedia (look at all that blue)

And surely the campus has something like a designated drivers system set up (good use of student funds if you ask me) to help intoxicated students to get back home safely. I know some UNIs do. Not sure in the case of Uconn. Some campuses have students who volunteer even.

Would help a lot of students to avoid trouble, or at least, make that trouble much less severe. Instead of continuing to point fingers, maybe looking for solutions is a good idea to find ways to prevent or at least lessen the likelihood of this occurring again.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If a kid feels nothing substantial happens, they feel empowered to repeat the same mistake.

None of you worry about a repeat offense where there ends up being serious injury or death to him or someone else?
My guess is he will be suspended from GAME activity anywhere from 2 games to the beginning of conference play. Under Hurley, no. I'm not going to worry about a repeat offense. Certainly not going to immediately jump to the worst case scenario of an improbable 2nd offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom