Borges: UConn looking to fill two spots | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: UConn looking to fill two spots

Reaction Score
If a scholarship opens and we will have 2. That is more than enough for this class. The tough decision is if only one scholarship is available and we have a very talented transfer that wants to come here (which we do), do we still take him?
I appear to be very much in the minority, but yes. I'm taking the 1 (or 2) most talented players that want to come here. Regardless of position and regardless of sit/play immediately

Reaction Score
I appear to be very much in the minority, but yes. I'm taking the 1 (or 2) most talented players that want to come here. Regardless of position and regardless of sit/play immediately

I agree. We are going to be a better team next year anyway. We would've been a slightly better team this year without some horrible luck.

Reaction Score
I hope you are not in the minority. We need an upgrade in talent. Point blank. Our frontcourt and our bench is simply atrocious and not of high major quality.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I agree with you that Hurley is going to turn this around. It's just not true at all when you say that having these kids stay on scholarship all 4 years doesn't hurt us, it absolutely does and makes Hurley's job harder
I never never said it doesn't hurt us. Not at all. Not sure where you got that from.

I'm just saying it may not be the best course of action, in terms of setting a tone for the program, to tell players to take a hike, and clearly Hurley agrees with that and it's worked for him in the past.

UConn's success in the past is based on talent AND culture, and I appreciate that Hurley realizes that and won't take a shortcut to success while sacrificing potential culture issues. A lot of the allure of Hurley to recruits is brotherhood and culture.

Reaction Score
I never never said it doesn't hurt us. Not at all. Not sure where you got that from.

I'm just saying it may not be the best course of action, in terms of setting a tone for the program, to tell players to take a hike, and clearly Hurley agrees with that and it's worked for him in the past.

UConn's success in the past is based on talent AND culture, and I appreciate that Hurley realizes that and won't take a shortcut to success while sacrificing potential culture issues. A lot of the allure of Hurley to recruits is brotherhood and culture.
You said, "Patience. Two players seeing through their graduations is not going to hurt our future recruiting." I disagree, that's 2 spots that would have subpar players that Hurley would be able to recruit into.

Will Hurley be fine and make do? Of course. But I'd feel a lot better if we had even more Hurley level players/recruits to bring in here

Reaction Score

Umm, no. Keeping kids who clearly don't belong does not set the tone or culture. Winning does. Getting talent does. I totally understand that Hurley would prefer for these kids to go out on "their own terms", but in the end, he surely wants them out.

Reaction Score
Umm, no. Keeping kids who clearly don't belong does not set the tone or culture. Winning does. Getting talent does. I totally understand that Hurley would prefer for these kids to go out on "their own terms", but in the end, he surely wants them out.

I don't think you realize the hit UConn's national brand has taken over the past four years. Kicking kids out only makes it harder on the recruiting trail.

Winning is the ultimate solver of our problem, but how many wins does a second scholarship get us next year with the players that are available at this stage?

Reaction Score
It's tough to preach togetherness if you force guys out of your program. I absolutely think Hurley is handling this the right way.

I also think it speaks volumes that players don't want to leave in an age of increasing 'free agency' in college athletics.

We've got a good one, let him do it his way.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
You said, "Patience. Two players seeing through their graduations is not going to hurt our future recruiting." I disagree, that's 2 spots that would have subpar players that Hurley would be able to recruit into.

Will Hurley be fine and make do? Of course. But I'd feel a lot better if we had even more Hurley level players/recruits to bring in here
Future recruiting, as in our ability to recruit high level players for many years to come.
Obviously we are in a bind for this season.
In theory, having a senior Isaiah Whaley is not going to hurt us. We will be fine in 2020, with a plethora of young talent (I'm assuming).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
How would it sit with the current roster if Hurley told 2 well-liked kids they aren't welcome back?
How does it sit with the people over at Putnam Science?

I'm not saying it would totally ruin the program. Of course not. But I see why Hurley does things the way he does.

Reaction Score
I respect Hurley's approach here, I just disagree with it wholeheartedly and think it's extremely detrimental to the program.

To say that, you have to conclude that it doesn't hurt us recruiting other players if the other players know that if they can't help us win on the court, they have to be ready to have their schollies pulled.

Does that really sound realistic. If you were an 18 year old, wouldn't you prefer a school who actually told you that they would stand behind you for 4 years as long as you kept your nose clean?

I know you'd like it if we could clear roster space without it coming back to bite us, but we can't have everything we like.

Reaction Score
To say that, you have to conclude that it doesn't hurt us recruiting other players if the other players know that if they can't help us win on the court, they have to be ready to have their schollies pulled.

Does that really sound realistic. If you were an 18 year old, wouldn't you prefer a school who actually told you that they would stand behind you for 4 years as long as you kept your nose clean?

I know you'd like it if we could clear roster space without it coming back to bite us, but we can't have everything we like.
I believe the perceived impact of ridding the program of dead wood on future recruits is being vastly overstated.

To be consistent, I hated the rule in Little League that every kid had to play too.

Reaction Score
How would it sit with the current roster if Hurley told 2 well-liked kids they aren't welcome back?
How does it sit with the people over at Putnam Science?
Hurley is more focused on the future, not the past. How would it sit wit the current roster? It shouldn't matter. Hurley shouldn't care. If any player is upset with an upgrade in talent, then they aren't buying in to the "culture". Hurley has been very clear that the last few years has been unacceptable. Whoever doesn't get that, doesn't belong. I don't know how to even address Putnam Science. We don't owe them any favors. If you recall, HD spurned us to sit out a semester at Kentucky, That showed me that Putnam Science is in it for themselves. This won't impact at all any current relationship we have. If they want to come they will. If they don't, they won't. What we do with our current roster has no bearing.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

To take this outside of sports so we can all relate better.

Company A has a boss who fires employees who aren't top performers, even though they are competent at their job.

Company B has a boss who is honest with employees about their shortcomings, and works with them to help them improve so they can maybe become a top performer.

No one wants to work for Company A, the culture sucks becuase everyone is worried they could be the next one fired. Company B is much better because the boss shows they truly care about their employees - this motivates everyone to perform at a higher level.

Companies with good culture and high employee morale consistently outperform companies with poor culture and low employee morale.

Much like business, basketball is a team game. If the team is not bought into the culture, then no matter how talented they are they will almost always come-up short of expectations in the end. And the team / future recruits won't buy into the culture if the coach consistently says one thing and then does the other.

Reaction Score
I believe the perceived impact of ridding the program of dead wood on future recruits is being vastly overstated.

To be consistent, I hated the rule in Little League that every kid had to play too.
Even more true if the current coach inherited the dead wood and not recruited it himself. Again, I totally understand Hurley would prefer for the kids to decide themselves, but in the end, he needs to do whatever it takes to get this program back to the tourney. I promise you that if March becomes important again around here, no one will care about the one or two kids who had to leave.

Reaction Score
To take this outside of sports so we can all relate better.

Company A has a boss who fires employees who aren't top performers, even though they are competent at their job.

Company B has a boss who is honest with employees about their shortcomings, and works with them to help them improve so they can maybe become a top performer.

No one wants to work for Company A, the culture sucks becuase everyone is worried they could be the next one fired. Company B is much better because the boss shows they truly care about their employees - this motivates everyone to perform at a higher level.

Companies with good culture and high employee morale consistently outperform companies with poor culture and low employee morale.

Much like business, basketball is a team game. If the team is not bought into the culture, then no matter how talented they are they will almost always come-up short of expectations in the end. And the team / future recruits won't buy into the culture if the coach consistently says one thing and then does the other.
This analogy is silly. Every current player will benefit immensely if UConn becomes more relevant. The most obvious way to become more relevant is to replace players who are incapable of contributing with kids that can.

Fwiw, this isn't exclusive to UConn, It happens at every top program.

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
On a more positive note, this says a lot about Hurley and the staff's quick change of the program's environment. I don't want to downsize the issue of not having scholarships available but the fact that players who know they won't get much playing time and still want to stay are a positive sign.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This analogy is silly. Every current player will benefit immensely if UConn becomes more relevant. The most obvious way to become more relevant is to replace players who are incapable of contributing with kids that can.

I don't think it is silly - sports and business are very similar. Here are the "5 Pillars" Tony Bennett used to set his culture at UVA. #3 and #4 very relevant to what Hurley is trying to establish with his culture - niether pillar can stand by kicking weak links to the curb.

Culture and a wining program take more than 1 off season to build, but it can all come crumbling down in 1 off season if you're not careful.

The FIVE Pillars: The FIVE Pillars by UVa Men's Basketball

Here is Darden (UVA business school) professors explaining how the "5 Pillars" are relevant to business culture: Teamwork: UVA Basketball Coach Tony Bennett’s 5 Pillars of Success | Darden Ideas to Action

Reaction Score

Fwiw, this isn't exclusive to UConn, It happens at every top program.

I am just curious. Who is this big upgrade that will be way better than what we have?

Reaction Score
I don't think it is silly - sports and business are very similar. Here are the "5 Pillars" Tony Bennett used to set his culture at UVA. #3 and #4 very relevant to what Hurley is trying to establish with his culture - niether pillar can stand by kicking weak links to the curb.

Culture and a wining program take more than 1 off season to build, but it can all come crumbling down in 1 off season if you're not careful.

The FIVE Pillars: The FIVE Pillars by UVa Men's Basketball

Here is Darden (UVA business school) professors explaining how the "5 Pillars" are relevant to business culture: Teamwork: UVA Basketball Coach Tony Bennett’s 5 Pillars of Success | Darden Ideas to Action
This is more applicable and relevant to the team Hurley creates, not inherits. He isn't looking to replace guys he brought in but more so guys he identified as part of the problem from the previous regime. Big difference.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This is more applicable and relevant to the team Hurley creates, not inherits. He isn't looking to replace guys he brought in but more so guys he identified as part of the problem from the previous regime. Big difference.

Not really. He can't talk the talk and not walk the walk. This isn't a mess he created, but he was brought in to fix it in the same way he has rebuilt programs in the past. Building long term culture >>>> short term "winning". These first couple years are about setting the cultural tone for the program and over time restocking the pond with "big fish".

I want UConn to be relevant again as much as anyone on here, but in order to do it right it is going to take some time and patience.

Reaction Score
Not really. He can't talk the talk and not walk the walk. This isn't a mess he created, but he was brought in to fix it in the same way he has rebuilt programs in the past. Building long term culture >>>> short term "winning". These first couple years are about setting the cultural tone for the program and over time restocking the pond with "big fish".

I want UConn to be relevant again as much as anyone on here, but in order to do it right it is going to take some time and patience.
In any type of reorganization, the dead weight is the first to go. That, in essence, is the start of this new culture. Go back to your initial analogy. No top performer would be upset if the guy who wasnt holding his weight was let go and the top performer would now earn more as a result.

This idea that the addition of two scholarships, no matter how attained, is anything but a positive is simply silly and deaf to the current landscape.

Reaction Score
Kind of a silly post. We have 2 athletic guards coming in and Akok so we are in much better place then we were.

Not silly at all. Not blaming anyone who now resides in a recruiting post at UConn but for now besides the freshman who you hate to depend on, we have no one who knows what it's like to win more than they lose. That in itself isn't good. And besides guard again, an improved big we have question marks galore still. Hopefully the likes of Polley, Wilson, Whaley and B.Adams can improve but no guarantee there. For now it's messy, it needs experience and size or plain ability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom