Borges: UConn looking to fill two spots | The Boneyard

Borges: UConn looking to fill two spots

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Had some interesting things to say about the scholarship situation. Said that Hurley is welcoming anyone who wants to come back, back to the program. However, he also says the staff is still recruiting for two available scholarships. I know Borges is tight with Tom Moore so his info is as good as any. So take that for what it’s worth

Reaction Score
This is the first confirmation we've gotten that no one is going to leave the team, right? Feel like absolutely everyone including our insiders were convinced players would be leaving. At least it's nice to know the players all like one another and the school. That's gotta count for something, right?

That said, you have to wonder where the second spot will come from? Gonna be interesting to see.

Reaction Score
This is the first confirmation we've gotten that no one is going to leave the team, right? Feel like absolutely everyone including our insiders were convinced players would be leaving. At least it's nice to know the players all like one another and the school. That's gotta count for something, right?

That said, you have to wonder where the second spot will come from? Gonna be interesting to see.
Sure doesn't sound that way, I took this the complete opposite way and someone is leaving. If we're recruiting for 2 spots and only have 1 open...

Reaction Score
We all know who the 2 potential program departures are, one may not be able to play anymore & one may need to play at a lower level. If one or both can fully contribute going forward then I'm all for them staying on scholarship. However, with only 12 next year and our front-court depth lacking Hurley has to get something significant out of those roster spots or we'll only have a marginally better team next year imo.

Reaction Score
We all know who the 2 potential program departures are, one may not be able to play anymore & one may need to play at a lower level. If one or both can fully contribute going forward then I'm all for them staying on scholarship. However, with only 12 next year and our front-court depth lacking Hurley has to get something significant out of those roster spots or we'll only have a marginally better team next year imo.
My understanding is 1 of those players is def coming back. He was thought to be leaving, but has decided to stay.

The other one is in question but gun to my head, we will have 2 scholarships available.

Reaction Score
My understanding is 1 of those players is def coming back. He was thought to be leaving, but has decided to stay.

The other one is in question but gun to my head, we will have 2 scholarships available.

Is this realistic?

Scholarship 1: Big
Choice 1: Precious
Choice 2: Ntambwe
Choice 3: Grad Transfer TBD

Scholarship 2: Small
Choice 1A: RJ Cole
Choice 1B: Cam Mack
Choice 2: Grad Transfer TBD

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I respect Hurley's approach here, I just disagree with it wholeheartedly and think it's extremely detrimental to the program.

This still doesn't mean that Hurley was not realistic with the players about their roles going forward. Hurley doesn't come off as a "fluff" guy, I'm sure he was direct and honest with each player. There is a huge difference between being direct + honest + telling a guy despite all that he is welcome back (players choice) v.s. being direct + honest + telling a player despite all that to take a hike (coaches choice).

Building a strong program culture starts with the coach, and kicking a player off the team simply because they are not deemed to be "talented" enough to compete for playing time is a culture killer. Keeping the program's commitment to these players will go a long way with the current group and also looks great to future recruits.

Poor culture = poor morale = poor results on the floor. Just look at the culture under our previous coach.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I respect Hurley's approach here, I just disagree with it wholeheartedly and think it's extremely detrimental to the program.
In that case I don't agree or respect his approach
If UConn has kids who simply can't compete at the D1 level because of talent - those kids have to be helped to go somewhere else, need to drop the sport at UConn and become a student or play as a walk-on and pay for school. A scholarship is something of value given for a return value. If there is no return value it's a freebie.
Now in case of career ending injury there is room for being gracious but there are kids on the team earning scholarships now who may not be this level D1 ability.

Reaction Score
If UConn has kids who simply can't compete at the D1 level because of talent - those kids have to be helped to go somewhere else, need to drop the sport at UConn and become a student or play as a walk-on and pay for school. A scholarship is something of value given for a return value. If there is no return value it's a freebie.
Now in case of career ending injury there is room for being gracious but there are kids on the team earning scholarships now who may not be this level D1 ability.
Blame your buddy for getting them here in the first place.

Reaction Score
Hurley knows what he's doing. He's like, done this a couple of times.

Patience. Two players seeing through their graduations is not going to hurt our future recruiting.

Either way, it sounds like one schollie will be opening soon.
You can be damn sure it's hurting our current recruiting though

Reaction Score
Creating a culture of loyalty/doing things Hurley's way>>>>>> 2019 recruiting

Again, we should have 2 openings total to fill still, according to Borges and others.
Which is not enough, still is going to require a choice between filling current holes (ball handler and another big) and bringing in a talented guy like Ntambwe

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

BUt tHey ArE sTUdeNtS

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Which is not enough, still is going to require a choice between filling current holes (ball handler and another big) and bringing in a talented guy like Ntambwe
Look, I want UConn to be as good as possible as soon as possible just as much as you do. But these things take time unfortunately. The docked scholarship is just as much to blame for our current situation with a shallow roster.
The method of not running off people has worked in the past for Hurley. And he will be able to recruit better talent here than anywhere else he's been. We may not be world beater's next year, but wait until 2020/2021/2022.

It's not like Hurley doesnt want more schollies to fill for 2019.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Whaley can step up this year and give a Gavin Edwards 2008-2009 type season.

12 minutes, 4 points, 3 boards, 1 block, plays every game and spells Carlton & Akok when needed. He will be a Junior hungry for success, on pace to graduate (i hope) and as of now has not had any off court issues.

Reaction Score
You can be damn sure it's hurting our current recruiting though

If a scholarship opens and we will have 2. That is more than enough for this class. The tough decision is if only one scholarship is available and we have a very talented transfer that wants to come here (which we do), do we still take him?

Reaction Score

Everyone on the roster is capable of playing D1 basketball. Saying we have kids that shouldn't be D1 is ridiculous. Now would they be better served dropping down a league? Sure.

Hurley preached he was not going to run kids off. If he was going to, it should have been last year. Clean break. Done. Hurley does not want to tarnish relationships with high school and AAU coaches, so everyone stayed. The kid in question saw Hurley change the culture and wants to be a part of it. You can't say you won't run off a kid in year one and then suddenly do it in year two. All you can do is be honest about playing time and expectations.

Reaction Score
Look, I want UConn to be as good as possible as soon as possible just as much as you do. But these things take time unfortunately. The docked scholarship is just as much to blame for our current situation with a shallow roster.
The method of not running off people has worked in the past for Hurley. And he will be able to recruit better talent here than anywhere else he's been. We may not be world beater's next year, but wait until 2020/2021/2022.

It's not like Hurley doesnt want more schollies to fill for 2019.
I agree with you that Hurley is going to turn this around. It's just not true at all when you say that having these kids stay on scholarship all 4 years doesn't hurt us, it absolutely does and makes Hurley's job harder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom