Borges: Gilbert (back) gametime decision tomorrow, Wilson status unclear. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Borges: Gilbert (back) gametime decision tomorrow, Wilson status unclear.

Reaction Score
I understand trying to build a culture. But you also need to build a winning culture. I don’t know what Sid did; none of us do. But if it was not a culture wrecking incident, he needs to play. Winning against Houston on senior night and getting momentum going into the tournament will build a winning culture more quickly than sitting a pouting player, again not knowing what he did.
U guys make it sound like if Sid plays , our chances of winning greatly increase. He’s been a non factor most of the year. He’s just a warm body as of now. Hurley trying to send a message and build our culture. Now if he was sitting bouk or Vital- I’d be pissed at him. Lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
U guys make it sound like if Sid plays , our chances of winning greatly increase. He’s been a non factor most of the year. He’s just a warm body as of now. Hurley trying to send a message and build our culture. Now if he was sitting bouk or Vital- I’d be pissed at him. Lol

Sid has been very good at times. If you have six players, then you are simply unable to defend normally. So Sid would let the other guys play as they can. That’s what it is all about.

Reaction Score
Sid has been very good at times. If you have six players, then you are simply unable to defend normally. So Sid would let the other guys play as they can. That’s what it is all about.
I understand the angle of letting Sid play so guys like cv and Ag can have a chance to get a W but Sid hasn’t done much this year. I mean seriously, will he really produce that much more than Temi wud? Maybe he snatches a rebound high off the glass or drains one 3, but the ONLY reason it’s a big deal is because we’re down to 7 players. Sids had about 50 chances the past three years and I’m usually a softy on these kind of things- but to me Enough is enough. With that being said course I hope he plays but only for 1 factor- we are super undermanned.

Reaction Score
Sid can fill in at the 3 ,4 ,or 5 if desperate. Just allowing someone to sit fo 5 minutes is a contribution.
But in addition to just being another body ,he can also rebound and block shots.
I don’t know what he did but we certainly could use him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is a very spellbinding situation with so many fluid competing dynamics considering the nature and potential consequences of various actions as it relates to Sid.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Suiting him up doesn’t necessarily send any message at all other than “Sid is only playing because we don’t have enough guys to compete without him”. That is not a ringing endorsement nor does it encourage anyone else to be lazy. I’m sure Dan is going to consider it more seriously than some of you think. He wants to win too. Desperate times.
I respectfully disagree, and it's absolutely contradictory to what DH said clearly today. It totally depends on what got him suspended in the first place, and on the coach's take. But you were a baller, so what do i know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

We had 3 guys foul out last time we played them and might have 6 scholarship players and only 1 walk-on this time. Hell a walk on TOOK THE LAST SHOT the last time we played them! If the same fouling result happened or we had an injury or whatever, there's a chance we'd have to play 3 or 4 vs. 5 on CV's senior night.

I don't know what Sid has done. If it is especially egregious that would ruin the culture by playing him, then sure, Hurley should not play him.

If you can use the circumstances as a motivating factor and spin it and let the team vote or something and let Sid dress (and play regularly or in emergencies as dictated by his conduct), then just do that. Let Sid earn the UConn uni by his peers decree. This "my team is on the floor" stuff is ridiculous and dramatic and idiotic. You all want to be hardo coaches from the 70's and 80's so bad. If you're building a culture 365, it can survive a guy coming in the game when you're down to 4 guys in a game and he has to play. You might even get a different sports movie moment out of it.

Reaction Score
We had 3 guys foul out last time we played them and might have 6 scholarship players and only 1 walk-on this time. Hell a walk on TOOK THE LAST SHOT the last time we played them! If the same fouling result happened or we had an injury or whatever, there's a chance we'd have to play 3 or 4 vs. 5 on CV's senior night.

I don't know what Sid has done. If it is especially egregious that would ruin the culture by playing him, then sure, Hurley should not play him.

If you can use the circumstances as a motivating factor and spin it and let the team vote or something and let Sid dress (and play regularly or in emergencies as dictated by his conduct), then just do that. Let Sid earn the UConn uni by his peers decree. This "my team is on the floor" stuff is ridiculous and dramatic and idiotic. You all want to be hardo coaches from the 70's and 80's so bad. If you're building a culture 365, it can survive a guy coming in the game when you're down to 4 guys in a game and he has to play. You might even get a different sports movie moment out of it.

Again. This is a ridiculous assessment considering WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SID DID. Trust that Hurley knows what happened and is making the right decision.

Reaction Score
I understand trying to build a culture. But you also need to build a winning culture. I don’t know what Sid did; none of us do. But if it was not a culture wrecking incident, he needs to play. Winning against Houston on senior night and getting momentum going into the tournament will build a winning culture more quickly than sitting a pouting player, again not knowing what he did.
I agree that we will remember this win at this time with this ranked team with this small roster. The positives outweigh the learning of lessons. Suit him up and let him see what he’s missing next year if he can’t commit.

Reaction Score
Again. This is a ridiculous assessment considering WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SID DID. Trust that Hurley knows what happened and is making the right decision.

That's why I said:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

Based on my relatively short time here, I respect your insight and what you're saying. But if Hurley is dedicated to building a program culture, which he absolutely seems to be, and Sid's behavior justified the suspension (which i have to believe Hurley has reason for), what should he do? Cave on that whole culture / discipline / earn the right to wear the uniform thing for the sake of winning this particular game?

I understand it's senior night. But realistically, it may mean a difference in the AAC tourney seeding, but odds are it won't even mean that. The way the core 7 guys have been playing, I'd rather see them go into the Houston game fighting short-handed, with a chip on their shoulders, but without the potential "weak link" and see what happens.

Anyway, it seems like Sid can possibly work his way back into the game, since Hurley said today that he's back in practice. I'm guessing he'll actually play tomorrow but if not, i have faith that Hurley makes the right call for the program.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ah, someone needs to tell Hurley that he hasn`t won anything yet. The four titles belong to Calhoun and Ollie. Let Sid suitup at least.
Not on your say so. Coach's decision.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Standards and consistent expectations are far more important in the big picture. If the goal is a consistent winning program then everyone needs to buy in or move on to another program. It would be a huge mistake for Hurley to allow Sid to play

Reaction Score
But if Hurley is dedicated to building a program culture, which he absolutely seems to be, and Sid's behavior justified the suspension (which i have to believe Hurley has reason for), what should he do? Cave on that whole culture / discipline / earn the right to wear the uniform thing for the sake of winning this particular game?

I trust Hurley to decide where the line is. Building a culture is incredibly important, but playing a walk-on 30 minutes against a top 25 team at home on senior night while building back up a fanbase to be a hardo is asinine if it can be avoided. I get that this isn't Sid's first offense. Hurley has been around basketball his whole life and I'm positive he knows how to make this work for the team's advantage if possible.

Culture is about buy-in, and sometimes people need stakes or extra incentive to buy in. What if the seniors on senior night voted to allow Sid to play. Do you think Sid would not be extremely grateful and play his ass off? Culture is established by the coach, but is affirmed and nurtured by the players, especially the leaders.

That all being said, this is all probably moot as Gilbert will likely play and I'd rather play 4 guards if possible and make Fabian White guard Brandon Adams or make them play Hinton at the 4 and neutralize their rebounding.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Alterique seemed like he was going to be healthy from that interview someone else had posted. Also we didn't use Temi in the last game anyways. Kind of feel like this is a non issue right now.

Reaction Score

In all seriousness, what happens to us tomorrow night if Sid is still suspended so we are down to only six guys, plus our only walk on Temi, and 3 guys foul out?? Does the game just continue with 5 on 4?

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, what happens to us tomorrow night if Sid is still suspended so we are down to only six guys, plus our only walk on Temi, and 3 guys foul out?? Does the game just continue with 5 on 4?

It does.

Reaction Score
I trust Hurley to decide where the line is. Building a culture is incredibly important, but playing a walk-on 30 minutes against a top 25 team at home on senior night while building back up a fanbase to be a hardo is asinine if it can be avoided. I get that this isn't Sid's first offense. Hurley has been around basketball his whole life and I'm positive he knows how to make this work for the team's advantage if possible.

Culture is about buy-in, and sometimes people need stakes or extra incentive to buy in. What if the seniors on senior night voted to allow Sid to play. Do you think Sid would not be extremely grateful and play his ass off? Culture is established by the coach, but is affirmed and nurtured by the players, especially the leaders.

That all being said, this is all probably moot as Gilbert will likely play and I'd rather play 4 guards if possible and make Fabian White guard Brandon Adams or make them play Hinton at the 4 and neutralize their rebounding.

letting players vote on discipline? This isn’t a democracy. It’s not being a hardo because you are holding people accountable for their actions.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Sid made his bed and needs to sleep in it. It is what it is. Anyone who thinks Hurley doesn't give second or third chances doesn’t know him. At some point, you can’t keep doing that.

So, do tell, what has Sid done?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom