Borges: Gilbert (back) gametime decision tomorrow, Wilson status unclear. | The Boneyard

Borges: Gilbert (back) gametime decision tomorrow, Wilson status unclear.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What is the status of Matt Geary and have we managed to find a 6'7'' walk on at the rec center? Matt Peart could have played 5 mins a game if he wasn't an NFL prospect.

Reaction Score
That's it!!! Cancel the invite to the AAC Tourney, let's just forfeit the last two games too!!!!

Reaction Score

I bet Al plays. If Sid is practicing, I would imagine he will be available in case of emergency too. Plus, Temi will likely start and play a few minutes.

Reaction Score
Yeah -- no. It's Hurley's job to try to win. Playings games with not enough players because someone hasn't earned playing time is self-defeating. You have to field the best team you can.

You don’t change Sid’s status because of this in my opinion. If he’s suspended or off the team you take your chances. Hurley is trying to deliver a very important message.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah -- no. It's Hurley's job to try to win. Playings games with not enough players because someone hasn't earned playing time is self-defeating. You have to field the best team you can.

If Sid is willing to play, we need to suit him up and play him. if he’s unwilling than it is what it is. Going out there with six guys isn’t helping anybody and penalizes those six and the team.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I understand trying to build a culture. But you also need to build a winning culture. I don’t know what Sid did; none of us do. But if it was not a culture wrecking incident, he needs to play. Winning against Houston on senior night and getting momentum going into the tournament will build a winning culture more quickly than sitting a pouting player, again not knowing what he did.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, if players foul out during a game resulting in less than 5 guys available, is that an automatic forfeit? (I realize you'd have no chance of winning with less than 5 players, but wondering what the rules are...and has that ever happened?)

Never mind, I answered my own question (see post below)

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If he broke team rules and is suspended for it, you can't just play him when convenient. That's a coach K move. It defeats the entire purpose of disciplining anybody

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I understand trying to build a culture. But you also need to build a winning culture. I don’t know what Sid did; none of us do. But if it was not a culture wrecking incident, he needs to play. Winning against Houston on senior night and getting momentum going into the tournament will build a winning culture more quickly than sitting a pouting player, again not knowing what he did.

Sid's problem is cumulative. A bunch of things over a period of time. At some point, you've got to learn and wise up. You can't give 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. Just can't. Even if it hurts the team.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, if players foul out during a game resulting in less than 5 guys available, is that an automatic forfeit? (I realize you'd have no chance of winning with less than 5 players, but wondering what the rules are...and has that ever happened?)

Pretty sure you can play as long as you have enough to do an inbound pass, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Reaction Score

It's clear Hurley that considers it a culture wrecking incident, or at least a culture wrecking pattern and practice.

I'm very pleased with what Hurley's intensive focus on culture has done for the team and program this year, and how it's set us up for the future. I think it's crazy to criticize him if he thinks that culture is best served by continuing to sit Sid.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

Never mind, apparently Alabama had to play 10+ minutes against Minnesota with only 3 guys a while back...and almost won.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sid's problem is cumulative. A bunch of things over a period of time. At some point, you've got to learn and wise up. You can't give 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. Just can't. Even if it hurts the team.
At some point giving 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances does hurt the team. Strong statement by Hurley. I doubt he'd make it if he didn't have a good reason.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
You take the L over putting in the suspended players. You think cancelling a suspension to get a single win is what builds a winning culture?

There's a difference between winning a game and having a winning culture.

Reaction Score
It's the difference between saying you learned your lesson and actually learning your lesson. I'm sure Sid would tell you he wants to play and that he won't do whatever it was again... But anyone would say that in this position.

Reaction Score
So let’s take a look at the injury list...

1583364312118.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom