Borges: Gilbert (back) gametime decision tomorrow, Wilson status unclear. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Borges: Gilbert (back) gametime decision tomorrow, Wilson status unclear.

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine a motivated walk on can’t give what Sid gives for a game. Let’s be honest Sid isn’t that good to begin with.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That’s old school. I want to inspire Sid to get out there and make me proud, not sit in his room and watch us lose. You can always tell him to find another school after the season if he doesn’t change.

No way he sits in dorm room. I don't think I'd put him on bench for public display, but he'd be in locker room watching game or at Werth with someone from bball team or AD encouraging him to want to work to be part of what he is watching.

Reaction Score
He had a 3.0 or better last time it was posted on here
You don’t kill a 3.0 kid. You might put him at the end of the pine. But, not enough hustle doesn’t warrant suspension. Got to me more than meets the eye.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This is a quandary. On the one hand, you have to enforce discipline. On the other, you don’t want to undermine those who are competing to win.
I hear you, but go check out the Hurley pregame sound video. He said something to the effect of the guys like Al and CV worked their azzes off and "died on their shields" in the tough losses this season. And to put someone who hasn't earned the right to do so on the floor just to fill a uniform would be disrespectful to the guys carrying the team.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Ah, someone needs to tell Hurley that he hasn`t won anything yet. The four titles belong to Calhoun and Ollie. Let Sid suitup at least.
just wow

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think Sid should be available to play in an emergency. I get building this thing the right way, but CV and the other guys who worked their butts off all year don’t deserve to be playing that short handed at this point in the year.

I think it’s fair to say that if what Sid did was that bad, he wouldn’t be practicing.

If I were in Hurley's position I wouldn't be against bringing on CV and AG and asking how they feel Sid's conduct is helping or hurting the program going forward.
Ask them if the sweat equity they have put in and the winning the are finally seeing deserves to have Sid on the court.

Not saying I'd act on their recommendation but I would like to hear it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
That’s old school. I want to inspire Sid to get out there and make me proud, not sit in his room and watch us lose. You can always tell him to find another school after the season if he doesn’t change.
I think there's a middle ground and Hurley's on it. He said Sid's back in practice but that doesn't mean he'll be on the floor Thursday. DH has expectations of his players, and it sounds like he's giving Sid one more try to meet them. If he doesn't, he doesn't play. That's the best call IMHO, regardless of which way it goes.

Reaction Score
You don’t kill a 3.0 kid. You might put him at the end of the pine. But, not enough hustle doesn’t warrant suspension. Got to me more than meets the eye.

How hard is this to get: he isn't suspended for academics. Should he not be suspended if he kills someone because he has a 3.0 now?

Reaction Score
This is a quandary. On the one hand, you have to enforce discipline. On the other, you don’t want to undermine those who are competing to win.

Not really. The coach isn't undermining anyone. He has to set a standard and hold players accountable. Sid let his teammates down. If the right culture is being put in place his brothers will hold him accountable. He will hold himself accountable, and the team program will be better for it in the long run.

Reaction Score
Yeah -- no. It's Hurley's job to try to win. Playings games with not enough players because someone hasn't earned playing time is self-defeating. You have to field the best team you can.
Unfortunately I think there may be more to Sidney not playing.

Reaction Score
If Sid is suspended with merit, you don't dress him. It pisses on every other player that held their end of the bargain and completely undermines the work and effort the team has put forth all year. It also sends the message that the Coach's word isn't worth anything and he'll back track when the going gets tough. If he's suspended for something less serious, then you give him the opportunity to earn his role back like anybody else would have to.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, if players foul out during a game resulting in less than 5 guys available, is that an automatic forfeit? (I realize you'd have no chance of winning with less than 5 players, but wondering what the rules are...and has that ever happened?)

Never mind, I answered my own question (see post below)

I was once on the short end of 4 on 5. You play your arse off.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
If Sid is suspended with merit, you don't dress him. It pisses on every other player that held their end of the bargain and completely undermines the work and effort the team has put forth all year. It also sends the message that the Coach's word isn't worth anything and he'll back track when the going gets tough. If he's suspended for something less serious, then you give him the opportunity to earn his role back like anybody else would have to.
And based on what Hurley said in the interview video posted today, it sounds to me like that's what he's doing.

Reaction Score
I can't believe anyone is questioning Hurley's decision making. The guy is a hell of a coach and he was raised by an all-time great. Oh, and he knows more about what is going on with Wilson than any of us.

It's one thing to hope Wilson gets his act together in time to play tomorrow, it's another to say the coach is wrong if he doesn't play him.

Reaction Score
I’m not really sure what people are so excited about other than the person that said Hurley “hasn’t won anything yet”, that was over the top. My opinion is my own selfish opinion and I don’t claim to know what Sid did or anything else about the situation. However, assuming Sid has been lazy and nothing more serious, I’d suit him up due to the circumstances we face with our roster.

For those that think they are so smart or say “we can tell who hasn’t coached before”, that’s nonsense. I played a college sport at a pretty high level and I played 3 high school sports. I had coaches that were pleasant but firm and I had a coach that modeled himself after Bob Knight. Honestly, it didn’t make a difference. Kids either buy in or they don’t. Still, with limited roster spots and a 4* guy available, you have to think hard about what to do. If we were at full strength, I’d let Sid suffer, but we aren’t. Suiting him up doesn’t necessarily send any message at all other than “Sid is only playing because we don’t have enough guys to compete without him”. That is not a ringing endorsement nor does it encourage anyone else to be lazy. I’m sure Dan is going to consider it more seriously than some of you think. He wants to win too. Desperate times.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yeah -- no. It's Hurley's job to try to win. Playings games with not enough players because someone hasn't earned playing time is self-defeating. You have to field the best team you can.
Well it's easy to see that building character and integrity are definitely on the back burner in some quarters. May I take a moment to quote Grantland Rice who wrote, “For when the great scorer comes to write against your name, He marks not that you won or lost but how you played the game.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is 100% the coach’s call. Whatever he decides, I am good with it. I trust that he knows way more about the situation and his team than the collective wisdom here. This is why he was hired.

“My team is on the floor.”

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Hurley will TRY to win with 5 players or 4 players. He's absolutely correct. If you want to support a team that will do anything to win there are plenty of sleazeball coaches out there, perhaps you would be happier supporting a team from the central or southwestern portions of our fair land.

Reaction Score
How hard is this to get: he isn't suspended for academics. Should he not be suspended if he kills someone because he has a 3.0 now?
You don’t read well. What I said is we must therefore conclude Hurley has something more problematic than mere non-hustle.

Reaction Score
A coach can not change the criteria for the suspension based on other events. You have your criteria and you stick to it. Your doing your whole program a disservice when you go back on your morals. Shocking so many people want the circumstances to change the grounds of a suspension. The exception becomes the rule when that happens and it leads to trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom