Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do not understand why some BY posters seem to think UConn to the ACC is better than going to the B12 with a network.

If the B12 gets a network the only conference without a network is the ACC. Coincidentally the ACC also has the most programs which are coveted by the other conferences. Financial weak conferences with attractive programs only end up one way...picked apart.

The ACC has been protected by B12 instability. Bottom line - teams like FSU and Clemson have no other conference with network options (SEC/BIG) despite their on the field football success. But, if the B12 expands and gets a network, it is probably just a matter of time before ACC teams jump. And, once one ACC team leaves it will cause a feeding frenzy with the ACC getting attacked by the BIG, SEC and B12. Every team in the ACC will have to jump or potentially be left without a seat in the new P4.... Oh and our former BE mates will be the big losers.

With a B12 network, how much more money does an addition of FSU/Clemson add to the B12? The B12 subscriber numbers will speak for themselves and since FSU/Clemson are directly competing in SEC country they need to keep up with the arms race. IMO FSU/Clemson are the first to bolt...they want to be in an SEC type environment and B12 network with them in it is much closer to an SEC environment with a lot more conference money.

The ACC is not getting a network regardless of whether they add UConn. As such, UConn is less valuable to the ACC. The ACC's decision to select Louisville confirmed building a network was not in their plans. The ACC has more fault lines than the USA pre-civil war: North versus South, football versus basketball, private schools versus public schools, academic first schools versus athletic first schools, add in a sweet heart deal for ND and plenty of internal division and power struggles between the pure football schools and the traditional tobacco road schools and you have a recipe for dissention. If the B12 builds a network and the ACC is left as the only non-network conference...start the countdown.

UConn has been down the road before as a member of imploding P5 conference. We want to be well away from the ACC if the B12 gets its house in order and builds a network. Yeah, I get UConn has to take the first offer we receive but I am pulling for the BIG or Big12 over the ACC. The ACC may have been where UConn once belonged but we've moved past that point.

Reaction Score
Naw...The Big 12 for FSU would only come as a desperation move a'la WVU. The couple of FSU trustees that I have talked to aren't interested in playing in the Big 12...neither are the boosters when it is gabbed about at meetings.

FSU wants to play where our alumni live, where we recruit, where our students come from. They are a Florida and deep south team, with a definite southern eastern seaboard.

Nothing is happening to the ACC until 2015...and then we'll see. The whole football world may change by then.

Reaction Score
you guys really dont want to join the big 12, if im a uconn fan as painful as it is im waiting this out and hoping for a ticket to the acc once the big 12 implodes. heres how its going to happen, you can pin this if you want because this is 100% how its going down.

2 ACC schools to the SEC (nc state and v tech perhaps) texas and a few others to the pac 12, big ten will go with either oklahoma and kansas or unc and uva (or all 4) and then the rest of the big 12 will merge with the acc and add cincy , uconn and a few others.

book it.

Reaction Score
If the ACC and Big 12 will be forced to merge in your scenario, why would we want to spend the in-between years in the AAC instead of the Big 12?

i guess good point, but im justing saying here you get into the big 12, and then it falls apart, its just more stress

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
until 2025....typo above

I doubt that with the every changing landscape in the CFL. Things will not stay the same especially with the ACC not having a network will always keep them on the move and changing. So you are wrong if you think this is going to stay as is in the ACC for the next nine years

Reaction Score
Naw...The Big 12 for FSU would only come as a desperation move a'la WVU. The couple of FSU trustees that I have talked to aren't interested in playing in the Big 12...neither are the boosters when it is gabbed about at meetings.

FSU wants to play where our alumni live, where we recruit, where our students come from. They are a Florida and deep south team, with a definite southern eastern seaboard.

Nothing is happening to the ACC until 2015...and then we'll see. The whole football world may change by then.

I think you mean "nothing happens till 2025." BTW 2025 is not that far away and if it looks like the ACC is unstable, teams will jump sooner. No one wants to be left without a chair and the less desirable teams will need to move quicker or risk being left behind. Besides, if Swofford promised FSU an ACCN network and can't deliver then the GORS may be at issue. No point in arguing the legal issues on the GORS but to say the GOR secures the ACC till 2025 is not guaranteed.

As for FSU I am not saying they need to move their campus out of Tallahassee. FSU will still be a Florida team. My guess is FSU moves with Clemson, Miami, maybe even a VT (although VT will be an SEC target) or Louisville. What does FSU have in common with BC, Syracuse, WF or Duke? Why would there be loyalty to those programs?

The bottom line is FSU wants money and exposure for football. If a stable B12 with a network offers them more of both they'd be crazy not to leave especially if they take their biggest southern ACC rivals with them. FSU has been very public about threatening to leave the ACC in the past. Sadly UConn has been harmed by this FSU power play when the ACC selected Louisville. When teams threaten to leave that is usually a pretty good sign about their level of long term commitment.

FSU may not want to play in the Big12 now. But stabilize the conference, add a network, add a lot more money and an opportunity to bring their best ACC rivals along and then the equation changes. You may not agree but money talks....fans and booster opinions are secondary to the financials.

Now the question is whether the B12 can gets its house in order.....the above scenario requires a lot of "ifs"

Reaction Score
i guess good point, but im justing saying here you get into the big 12, and then it falls apart, its just more stress

More stress than what? Being in the AAC and hoping that when the Big XII and ACC merge they also grab us?

I'd rather be in the Big XII, I also believe that if the Big XII gets a network and adds UConn it becomes more stable than the ACC (which doesn't have a network).

The Big XII and the ACC remind me of that joke about the two guys walking through the woods when the see a bear charging at them:
The first guy puts his sneakers on.
The second guys says: "Why are you putting sneakers on, you can't outrun a bear"
The first guy says: "I don't have to outrun a bear, I just have to outrun you."

The first conference to get a network "outruns the bear". I want UConn in that conference.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
How can Houston afford Herrmanns contract if they're not going anywhere? Seems like it would be hard on the pocketbook.

Reaction Score
I like the thought processes in most of these threads, ...
1). B12 is desperate and unstable with only 10 members, therefore they need to add UCONN and Cincinnati because no other P5 schools are interested.
2). UCONN and Cincinnati allow the B12 to build a successful conference network.
3). B12 is able to pluck Clemson and FSU from the ACC.
4). ???????
PROFIT!!

Reaction Score
you guys really dont want to join the big 12, if im a uconn fan as painful as it is im waiting this out and hoping for a ticket to the acc once the big 12 implodes. heres how its going to happen, you can pin this if you want because this is 100% how its going down.

2 ACC schools to the SEC (nc state and v tech perhaps) texas and a few others to the pac 12, big ten will go with either oklahoma and kansas or unc and uva (or all 4) and then the rest of the big 12 will merge with the acc and add cincy , uconn and a few others.

book it.
Tell this to Pudgey

Reaction Score
2 ACC schools to the SEC (nc state and v tech perhaps) texas and a few others to the pac 12, big ten will go with either oklahoma and kansas or unc and uva (or all 4) and then the rest of the big 12 will merge with the acc and add cincy , uconn and a few others. book it.
As if most people with any gray matter would opt to remain stranded on AACisland. Yup, book that! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom