Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The ACC is not getting raided.

I will say that I think we are getting our answer on whether the ACC still wants UConn. Boren is all but putting our name on the Big 12 website, and there is not so much as a sniff from the ACC that I am aware of. They do move quietly, but it has been months and the ACC is about to lose UConn forever. If they cared, you would think something would be happening by now, or at least very soon.

Our value revolves around a conference network. The ACC doesn't have one.

The bottom line? Whichever of the ACC or Big 12 gets a conference network will be better positioned to survive the move from P5 to P4. UConn doesn't want to be with the loser, if it can avoid it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The UConn market is easy...2 dma's cover the state (NYC, Hartford/New Haven). They both need to be included.

You can add in part of Springfield-Holyoke also which is ranked 116. When you add up the parts we exceed Kansas and are on par with Oklahoma even without NYC or Boston.

Reaction Score
B12 should make a deal with the ACC to get UL and then ACC can take UConn. WIth all the UL scandals and the fact that their football is not as strong as envisioned, ACC probably wouldn't mind disposing them

We are more valuable than UL to to a Network, by a factor of at least 2. Considering that they complete with UK it is likely much higher.

Reaction Score
Like everyone else, BYU won't know until they are invited. If you're Bronco, and UVA offered big life changing money I believe, do you pass that up "just in case BYU gets invited" to the Big 12. I don't think you can do that and clearly he didn't think it.

Is it possible BYU was told were going East not West IF we expand? I suppose so.
probably more so that the refusal to play on Sundays will never change...which looks to be a non-starter with P-5 conferences.

Reaction Score
probably more so that the refusal to play on Sundays will never change...which looks to be a non-starter with P-5 conferences.
I didn't consider that, but good for them if they are not willing to sell out on a fundamental value for the almighty dollar. If that is the ONLY reason they are being excluded it is effed up, but I'm sure they will be told something like "were going east, not west".

Reaction Score
Speaking of BYU, Catholic schools should not be playing on Sundays either.

Reaction Score
Exactly! Do we want to be part of a conference that was driven to exclude us from expansion for petty and self-centered reasons? I say NO! I do recognize that the B1G would be the ideal situation, but I don't see it happening as Delany still has to cope with the Jersey dumpster fire. Sure if we were without any other option for a P5 spot, the ACC would be great, but now I prefer the Big 12 to the ACC. I see long term problems with the ACC and don't want to have to scramble again in a few years with the likes of BC and Syracuse.
I don't understand how any UConn fan can be picky at this point. Now if Conferences were drooling all over us than I would get it but right now it's obvious outside of our own minds that is not true. At this point if the ACC called and said the only way we could join is if we changed from Huskies to Gooches...well then fight on Gooches!

Reaction Score
The ACC is not getting raided.

I will say that I think we are getting our answer on whether the ACC still wants UConn. Boren is all but putting our name on the Big 12 website, and there is not so much as a sniff from the ACC that I am aware of. They do move quietly, but it has been months and the ACC is about to lose UConn forever. If they cared, you would think something would be happening by now, or at least very soon.

OK ... I think you are an idiot. The ACC is the most senseless group of strategic thinking. Regularly doing stuff that is Old School Odd.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Because if no one is watching, eventually the cable providers won't pay as much for the content. As well as it effects advertising revenue on the network.

Um, you do realize I was baiting a troll, correct?

Reaction Score
You'd have to think the B12 learned from the ACC and they'll likely focus on the schools that cut off their competitors (UConn, Cincy) and leave the others (UH, FL directionals, Memphis, BYU) for a later date. No way the ACC, SEC or BIG moves on any of the schools in the parenthetical, probably ever. There are only 2 programs left, IMO, that appeal to more than 1 conference.

Reaction Score
This is about SPORTS ... right?

As we see with both Rutgers and BC (and to some extent Cuse as well), you need to build an Athletic Department that has BRAND name Programs that people want to watch; that's a capacity to do things right and attract a fan base. Purely eyeballs should not take the day; though, the B1G did do that ... and it was defensible (til it wasn't). UConn has the BEST Women's Program; the most successful Men's CBB Program; Hockey that went from zero to 60 in a nano ... top ten in attendance; a Football Program that ... in spite of PP ... can rise; and a solid Academic climb over the last 20 years. And people say Temple or Houston or UCF or Memphis? You have markets - ok - and you have PRODUCT. Value them. Or go to the pull-it-out-of -the -seat-of - your- method when you listen to DeFillippo and Shalala.

Reaction Score
This is about SPORTS ... right?

As we see with both Rutgers and BC (and to some extent Cuse as well), you need to build an Athletic Department that has BRAND name Programs that people want to watch; that's a capacity to do things right and attract a fan base. Purely eyeballs should not take the day; though, the B1G did do that ... and it was defensible (til it wasn't). UConn has the BEST Women's Program; the most successful Men's CBB Program; Hockey that went from zero to 60 in a nano ... top ten in attendance; a Football Program that ... in spite of PP ... can rise; and a solid Academic climb over the last 20 years. And people say Temple or Houston or UCF or Memphis? You have markets - ok - and you have PRODUCT. Value them. Or go to the pull-it-out-of -the -seat-of - your- method when you listen to DeFillippo and Shalala.
Its long past being simply about Sports...or haven't you noticed...Boise FB....If only about sports don't complain about Louisville.....

Reaction Score
I don't understand how any UConn fan can be picky at this point. Now if Conferences were drooling all over us than I would get it but right now it's obvious outside of our own minds that is not true. At this point if the ACC called and said the only way we could join is if we changed from Huskies to Gooches...well then fight on Gooches!

Look, please don't misunderstand - we need to take the first P5 offer. After the Titantic went down, I wouldn't be the guy swimming from lifeboat to lifeboat seeing if I liked those already on board!

Reaction Score
And if one is BC basketball, every day ending with the letter 'y' is a day or rest (0-12 in ACC play).

Rutgers and BC - combined 0-25 in conference play - remember nobody is worthless - you can always serve as a bad example...

Reaction Score
That's old testament.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

So yeah, Christians, start not shaving and not eating shellfish while you're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom