Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer | The Boneyard

Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I fully understand rule #1, but this has to be good for UConn, right?

In fact, Boren said Tuesday that in the same way he favors letting the data determine whether the Big 12 adds new members, a title game and network, he favors letting the data determine who the new members would be.

“I think people are being very sincere about trying to look at the figures and the facts,” Boren said. “Not be emotional about it or ‘I want this school' or ‘I want that.'

“Well, what are their academics? What's their research base? How well do they fit our academic profile? How well do they fit our fan base profile? How many dollars in their market do they bring to the table? We're looking at all that. In terms of the network and those dollars, we're looking with our TV consultants to tell us.”

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Does the Big XII not realize that their 'academic profile' is to have mostly s*** schools with the exception of UT?

Reaction Score
If it is about data only and a potential B12 network, we should be looking good. B12 should just add UCONN and Cincy. Ideally, they go to 14 and add BYU and one of the FLA schools. If not BYU, then either both FLA schools or one of the FLA schools plus Temple. Those should be the ideal adds for a future B12 network.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing is everyone has assumed if the Big 12 expands by two that Cincy is clearly option 1, and then UConn/BYU/Houston/Florida schools all battle it out for spot number 2. But if they are going to make a decision based purely on the data and metrics, I think UConn is clearly number 1, and then the Big 12 has a decision to make. I agree that Cincy is the next best option, but in terms of television sets, UCF and USF are in much bigger markets than Cincy. I just don't think they are the slam dunk everyone makes them out to be if conference network is the driving force here.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing is everyone has assumed if the Big 12 expands by two that Cincy is clearly option 1, and then UConn/BYU/Houston/Florida schools all battle it out for spot number 2. But if they are going to make a decision based purely on the data and metrics, I think UConn is clearly number 1, and then the Big 12 has a decision to make. I agree that Cincy is the next best option, but in terms of television sets, UCF and USF are in much bigger markets than Cincy. I just don't think they are the slam dunk everyone makes them out to be if conference network is the driving force here.

I agree. I think it will be Cincy, but anything can happen. Would not be at all surprised to see the picks be UConn and one of the Florida schools.

The fact that nobody else needs a Florida school (let alone two) works in Cincy's favor though. If the Big XII doesn't grab Cincy now the ACC might grab them later. In all likelihood both Florida teams will be available later. Same holds true for BYU, which works in Cincy's and UConn's favor.

UConn could be a target for the B1G and the ACC; the Big XII may not get another chance.
Cincy could be a target for the ACC; the Big XII may not want to repeat the Louisville error.
I doubt anyone other than the Big XII would pick UCF, USF or BYU, so the Big XII can wait on them.
Houston, Memphis or Temple could get taken by the ACC, but I'm not sure the Big XII wants them as much as the other teams on this list.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Cincinnati is an urban, commuter school, same as Temple, Memphis, UCF, USF and Houston. These schools have never been favored for admission into major conferences. For the most part, their students go to school, graduate and say goodbye to their alma mater forever. Going to school for commuter students is like driving to work is for everybody that has to do that every day.

Houston enjoyed a 20-year career in the old SWC, bucking the usual trend. Louisville weaseled its way into the ACC, even though over 50 percent of Louisville's student body is from Metro Louisville. They're exceptions to the general rule. If it was only about money, a number of these schools would already be in major conferences because they are in large TV markets. It hasn't happened and isn't likely to happen for any of them.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Adding Houston for their market would be like the AAC adding UHart for the Hartford Market

Exactly right, which is why Houston won't be getting a Big 12 invite anytime soon.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Imagine if it's UCF...the Civil Conflict would live on

Reaction Score
I
Yeah, UConn might not fit their academic profile, but it does elevate it.:)

The more i consider this possibility, the more I like it. Solidify the Big12, grow the market base.
Go to 12, TAKE UConn and Cinci to get to 12 - take a breath and see how the assimilation goes. Further, it would keep defections from the ACC a possibility for growth to 14 (if not a likelihood) Get the Big 12 to 12 with UConn and Cinncy and hang back for Clemson or FSU. As I have said, ad naseum, these two schools are going to get sick their poorly chosen northern additions to the ACC - ie. Syra..., BC, Pitt. Further, the ND sweetheart deal has to grate on the better competitors of the league. I think we need to be realistic about the B1G. Delany's babies have to succeed in his mind before his ventures into the expansion market again. RESULT? Hope for the BIG 12 - IT IS THE BEST, VIABLE OPTION.

Reaction Score
Exactly right, which is why Houston won't be getting a Big 12 invite anytime soon.
YEAH BUT the Houston fan I argued with on Twitter today told me the attendance at the 2011 Final Four was the worst in a decade and it was all UConn's fault and it looked like a high school basketball game!!!!! HE MUST BE RIGHT!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
YEAH BUT the Houston fan I argued with on Twitter today told me the attendance at the 2011 Final Four was the worst in a decade and it was all UConn's fault and it looked like a high school basketball game!!!!! HE MUST BE RIGHT!

Wasn't it like the highest-attended final four in history at the time?

Reaction Score
We're looking at all that. In terms of the network and those dollars, we're looking with our TV consultants to tell us.”

Are these the same consultants that advised the other conferences when they expanded? Who are they and what are they defining as Uconn's market and how does that look against all other potential expansion candidates?

Reaction Score
We're looking at all that. In terms of the network and those dollars, we're looking with our TV consultants to tell us.”

Are these the same consultants that advised the other conferences when they expanded? Who are they and what are they defining as Uconn's market and how does that look against all other potential expansion candidates?
The UConn market is easy...2 dma's cover the state (NYC, Hartford/New Haven). They both need to be included.

Reaction Score
I

The more i consider this possibility, the more I like it. Solidify the Big12, grow the market base.
Go to 12, TAKE UConn and Cinci to get to 12 - take a breath and see how the assimilation goes. Further, it would keep defections from the ACC a possibility for growth to 14 (if not a likelihood) Get the Big 12 to 12 with UConn and Cinncy and hang back for Clemson or FSU. As I have said, ad naseum, these two schools are going to get sick their poorly chosen northern additions to the ACC - ie. Syra..., BC, Pitt. Further, the ND sweetheart deal has to grate on the better competitors of the league. I think we need to be realistic about the B1G. Delany's babies have to succeed in his mind before his ventures into the expansion market again. RESULT? Hope for the BIG 12 - IT IS THE BEST, VIABLE OPTION.

Sorry, but Clemson and FSU to the Big 12 is a Dood generated fantasy. Right now the winner of that game has a ticket to the playoff unless they royally F up elsewhere on their schedule. The only conferences that either would join without The ACC falling apart around them would be 1)The SEC for the money, geographic fit, and rivalries or 2)The B1G for the money and academic associations. That said if somehow The B1G and SEC both raided The ACC for UNC, Duke, NCSU, VPI, and GT then all bets are off.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Our market is Mansfield. UHart owns Hartford and Quinnipiac owns New Haven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom