Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like everyone else, BYU won't know until they are invited. If you're Bronco, and UVA offered big life changing money I believe, do you pass that up "just in case BYU gets invited" to the Big 12. I don't think you can do that and clearly he didn't think it.

Is it possible BYU was told were going East not West IF we expand? I suppose so.
I just found this on Coaching Search
( http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--Feb-18)
...pretty interesting comments from Bronco Mendenhall yesterday re: BYU

- Bronco Mendenhall says BYU needs to join a conference. The current Virginia head coach had called for the school to join the Big 12 while he was there. It’s still his belief.

“After being the head coach at BYU, I don’t think independence is sustainable,” he told SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “What I chose to do was schedule the most compelling games on the biggest stages with the most difficult opponents to draw the most people and visibility and draw the exposure for administration that this is what we could be doing every single week.

“No one had more to lose than I did, but it was compelling me to want more for the university, now that there’s a divide between Power 5 and Group of 5.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i guess good point, but im justing saying here you get into the big 12, and then it falls apart, its just more stress

It's a club. Aside from the obvious better money and better competition during that period (and better recruiting), once a school is in the P5 it is perceived differently. UConn has better metrics than many current P5 schools, yet they are perceived as belonging and we are often perceived as unworthy. In short, UConn's chances of staying in the future equivalent of the P5 is dramatically improved by getting a P5 invite now.

Reaction Score
It's a club. Aside from the obvious better money and better competition during that period (and better recruiting), once a school is in the P5 it is perceived differently. UConn has better metrics than many current P5 schools, yet they are perceived as belonging and we are often perceived as unworthy. In short, UConn's chances of staying in the future equivalent of the P5 is dramatically improved by getting a P5 invite now.

I can't believe you just had to explain that to someone.

Reaction Score

i dont think anyone is saying uconn is unworthy, and those people have zero idea. honestly, all the schools are doing what they can to get a seat in the P5. From uconn, to houston. all the schools have positives and negatives. it really comes down to luck to be honest. if there was conferences being created today, a school like purdue would not be asked to join. its a market based decision. the question will be who delivers more tv money uconn or cincy or usf or ucf. nobody knows those answers except for the conferences that hire companies to find out. a school like houston has the texas state politics pushing hard vs the tv money, its really a coin flip decision and it comes down to luck

Reaction Score
To me it's pretty simple.

-If the Big XII moves for a TV network, we're in. Easily, at that.

-If they don't, we're less likely - but probably one of three major candidates and we profile better across the board than who I'd assume would be our primary competition.

The Big XII is a weird conference for us to be in, but it's feeling more and more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom