Boneyard inception? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Boneyard inception?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great stuff- thanks for sharing! You can usually get a sense of who the longest tenured posters are, but it's awesome to hear about the chronology and the real history of the board!

I found the board in 2002 and was hooked right away!

Keep the stories coming!

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I think I found this place just before or after I started attending UConn in 2002.

If I remember correctly I first started reading on the Rivals board and about a week after that everyone moved to Scout. I'm not really sure if that fits the timeline of things or if I'm just making that up.

I really got hooked when I read the April Fool's Day post about Charlie V. At the time I was working in one of the computer labs at UConn as a work study job. I pretty much spent all of my shifts playing solitare and reading this site. It was very amusing at the time as others have mentioned. Didn't post much back then and still dont all that much.

I don't care to imagine how much time I have wasted in the last 10 or so years reading what you idiots have to say about UConn. It might not have always been enlightening but it has at least been entertaining. Here's to the next 10.

(I had a different SN on the Scout site but I didnt do anything memorable enough worth mentioning)

Reaction Score
Great thread...I have been a lurker since I think 1998 or so when we moved from CT to Richmond. This forum was my only lifeline to information on UCONN BB. It was a swash buckling community back then, if you weren't on your game you could get your handed to you. The comic relief was as good as getting information on the team. What once was a quick visit at home at night morphed into checking it all day long whether it was about the first CR or the signing of a recruit. I remember getting locked out of the site at work in 2000 by the bank's IT department and another time in a dispute with a president of the company over another guys's internet usuage when he told me at least he wasn't visiting a site called the Boneyard like I was...never laughed so hard in my life.

I remember the bumper stickers and T shirts that my son and I wore. Much has changed since that time, we've all enjoyed a great ride and like most things in life, change comes. Grateful to all that have put time, energy and money into creating this community, it is without a doubt the single most consistent diversion for me everyday.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I have been on the board since the late 90's (I think I switched to the username USG when we made the shift from rivals to scout). Since then, I think I have maybe gone a total of about 20 days in the past 15 years without checking our site at least once during the day.

I still have not met a single board member in 'real life'. I think if I starting putting faces to the names on this site, my world would implode. I am sure that the vision I have in my head of each poster is no where near reality, but I think I prefer to keep my vision of everyone as it is!:cool:

Reaction Score
Tom, from board to board you've been my go to guy. I appreciate you soooo much. I'd be lost without you. Thank you.

Reaction Score
How about handles for which you'll open a thread with an uninteresting subject line?

For me:
  1. Fishy--sorry everyone else, but if Fishy left the board, I probably would stop coming by. I see some talk of his decline on this thread...if true, he's playing down to the competition
  2. Deepster--the master of the mojo, Deepster stirs the pot. Frequently wrong but never in doubt, Deepster's like the inverse-canary in the mine shaft--when you see his name, you know the thread is going to be good.
  3. Lark--sometimes pedantic, but I always agreed with Lark. Lark goes to the Boneyard HoF as the poster with best perspective.
  4. Memory is a bit fuzzier, but I think I remember always enjoying x and BadDog posts.

Frequently wrong?! Hangman Swami! Ready the gallows!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yes, that would be me. It was a shame I had to watch the game. The kitchen would have ended up in better shape otherwise. Those mice led us to victory that day, so it was all worth it in the end.
reminds me the chat that Fishy explained his chipmunk extermination methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I still have not met a single board member in 'real life'. I think if I starting putting faces to the names on this site, my world would implode. I am sure that the vision I have in my head of each poster is no where near reality, but I think I prefer to keep my vision of everyone as it is!:cool:
Uh, hello? I sat behind you at the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how SportsGuy talks his way out of that one!

Reaction Score
Anybody still have their 77-74 Boneyard tee shirt? And does it still fit? I can proudly say yes to both questions.

Reaction Score
Anybody still have their 77-74 Boneyard tee shirt? And does it still fit? I can proudly say yes to both questions.

I still have the window cling on the passenger's side. Car was one year old then - now it is pushing 15. I think I might be the Last of the Mohegans, cling-wise, unless someone else had a successful transplant after a car change.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) The chipmunk extermination method is foolproof. Horrifying, but effective.

2) The Boneyard tailgates in Storrs, (I think there were two of them), were classic. Deepster fell out of a tree in one of them and Dove heckled Sparrowhawk in the other - for three hours, a kid had to hear Dove asking him why he wasn't playing, where he's from, whether that was his real name, etc.

3) I forgot to mention a bunch of people like Alex D, Hamster, beerfan, etc. At the first BYC, the peeps there gave Tom and I signed copies of the SI Commemorative Issue with Khalid on the front - there are a ton of people from that event who are still here. I'll go through it later.

4) I'm not even sure I can mention too much about this, but some of the funniest moments I've had here involved watching some poor corporate doofus from Rivals or Scout deal with Tom. It was a lot like watching the chipmunk extermination method, except less humane.

5) The first day we were both with Scout, their head techie guy sent us a snarky email telling us to pick which one of us would ask him questions because he was too busy to deal with two people. That guy got eaten by a bear. Seriously - a duck*ing bear.

6) Also worthy of special mention with Nan is Nuzzi and Hamster. Nuzzi ran the BYC's from top to bottom - they were perfectly run and the later ones actually kicked a nice amount of money into a charity called GOALS. Whenever we needed graphics done Hamster handled it even though the nicest thing I have ever said to him was "this sucks less than the last one, so I guess it's okay".

7) jleves once took a trip to the Rocky Mountains and left a naked girl on one of the peaks.

8) One time Tom and I were stalked by a guy so nuts that the FBI eventually had to deal with him.

9) Charity - This site has renovated a van for a paralyzed man. Retrofitted a room to help two grandparents take care of a toddler paralyzed in an accident that killed his parents. Sent students to the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona. Acted as the message board for the Friends of UConn Football during the push to go DI. Raised $7,000 for the Jim Calhoun Cancer ride two years ago. Raised almost $35,000 for the Calhoun Cardiac Center...and I'm sure will raise some other astounding amount for the Cancer Ride this year.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I still have the window cling on the passenger's side. Car was one year old then - now it is pushing 15. I think I might be the Last of the Mohegans, cling-wise, unless someone else had a successful transplant after a car change.

I ordered a small stack of the 77-74 clings, maybe 10 or so, and still have a couple left. Every car I've owned since '99 has sported the cling on the back window.

Reaction Score
I ordered a small stack of the 77-74 clings, maybe 10 or so, and still have a couple left. Every car I've owned since '99 has sported the cling on the back window.

Ah - smart thinking. I ordered a batch but gave them out as stocking stuffers. Put two on the car - one on each side. The driver's side one vanished a few years back, but passenger cling is still hanging on.

Other amazing thing is that the bumper sticker I got that year is still going strong - a little faded, but still perfectly legible. The 2004 one basically washed away to nothing but a thick white stripe in four or five years.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I still rock the 77-74 cling. I ordered 10 and mailed some to Yarders. Have 1 left. I almost went off the Merritt Pkwy one day when I saw a 77-74 cling go by me and I tried to see who it was.

As for tailgates...they were the best. When our football board was in its infancy we had a guy named DanO posting. He had raised a kid in Shelton who played QB. I asked him to attend...and bring his son, too. That kid later went to the NFL where he scrambles out of the end zone at times. I remember one time CTO showed up with the entire side of her SUV crunched in. But she had the meat and had to get to Storrs.

I remember swami's wife and those kitten ears. And a young swammette who might win a Grammy some day. There was one tailgate so windy that the burgers were crusted with sand.

The cannon at the BYC...damn!

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I still rock the 77-74 cling. I ordered 10 and mailed some to Yarders. Have 1 left. I almost went off the Merritt Pkwy one day when I saw a 77-74 cling go by me and I tried to see who it was.

As for tailgates...they were the best. When our football board was in its infancy we had a guy named DanO posting. He had raised a kid in Shelton who played QB. I asked him to attend...and bring his son, too. That kid later went to the NFL where he scrambles out of the end zone at times. I remember one time CTO showed up with the entire side of her SUV crunched in. But she had the meat and had to get to Storrs.

I remember swami's wife and those kitten ears. And a young swammette who might win a Grammy some day. There was one tailgate so windy that the burgers were crusted with sand.

The cannon at the BYC...damn!

I don't think it was me on the Merritt Parkway but I did see you and your cling maybe somewhere in the Hartford area some ten years ago. I posted something that day and you confirmed -- want to say you were driving a white car... maybe a Bronco. I had my 77-74 displayed proudly on the passenger window.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was driving a white Alero back then. I remember posting on the Yard about it and the driver was found. It may have been cwh.

Reaction Score

I bought more than one....had one on my 10 year old mazda which just got totalled....tried to peel off the 77-74 cling but it was pretty much glued on. I'm still looking for my extra one for my new Mazda.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't remember what we called it, but the guy who used to post as "x" was a freaking genius and he wrote a script that automatically registered votes every time someone loaded a particular link - people from Duke or Kentucky who were just trying to find out what we were up to ended up tallying vote after vote for Storrs.

We won going away.

Ha. I'm "x". It's worth coming out now that Fishy has called me a genius. ... My memory of these events is vague but I remember espn eventually upgraded their defenses against electronic voting and that ended the ability of the Boneyard to dominate the Kentucky and Duke fanbases. ... In those days UConn was still considered an insurgent in college athletics. We need some of that attitude again, to help build the football program.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't think it was me on the Merritt Parkway but I did see you and your cling maybe somewhere in the Hartford area some ten years ago. I posted something that day and you confirmed -- want to say you were driving a white car... maybe a Bronco. I had my 77-74 displayed proudly on the passenger window.

That's the 2nd most interesting story I've heard involving a white Bronco.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Okay, here is the actual rallying cry:

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore .... Send these no-talent, unemployed, Miller High Life sluggin' clowns to me. I lift my lamp beside
The Boneyard."

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Without cheating, who is this?

Dogfather-Bra.jpg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Remember the husky dolls photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members