Biggest sports annoyances | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Biggest sports annoyances

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That’s true. Yes I was talking about AAU ball.
It becomes more about the schedule and time
So the refs dont officiate games in order to make them finish faster. The vast difference in officiating can seen in the unsponsored tournaments. If a kid is playing for one of the big time sneaker programs , the officiating is vastly better.

No ref should do more than 3 games In a day.

2 if it’s awful basketball.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I Ref a lot of girls travel. Middle school age.

There’s a lot of fouls. It’s def not being called in other gyms because I take a ton of grief for being in the 1 and 1 in the first qtr because everyone has more grabs and holds than GSP.
If the girls are going to play at a higher level they need to know how to play within the rules. They won’t if fouls aren’t called. They should be thanking you. I’m completely serious.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Parents who don't come to practice and coach their kid from the stands
parents who try to call plays from the stands
Parents who criticize kids who listen to the coach who has spent untold hours working with the kid
Did I mention parents?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
No ref should do more than 3 games In a day.

2 if it’s awful basketball.
This is one of the problems. I’ve seen guys ref 4-5 games in one day. One guy actually said to a coach ” I’m tired , I wanna go home”.
Big time , sneaker sponsored programs/ tournaments often have three refs per game.
Much better.

Reaction Score
When my team disappoints me and doesn't meat expectations.

the Q

Reaction Score
This is one of the problems. I’ve seen guys ref 4-5 games in one day. One guy actually said to a coach ” I’m tired , I wanna go home”.
Big time , sneaker sponsored programs/ tournaments often have three refs per game.
Much better.

Most places can’t afford the 3 man crews. Even high school doesn’t do 3 man for the regular season.

the Q

Reaction Score
Parents who criticize kids who listen to the coach who has spent untold hours working with the kid
Did I mention parents?

Sports parents are the worst.

Reaction Score
The fact that some MLS soccer teams copied the "naming styles" of some of the top European clubs/leagues without any regard for historical or cultural context:
Inter Miami? Real Salt Lake? Atlanta United? Sporting KC?
It just sounds so amateurish and cheesy.
What's next? Bayern Baltimore? Nashville Saint-Germain ?

Reaction Score
Did I mention parents?

Ok agree with most but on the other end of this:

Parents in political towns who coach their kids just because and don't know crap about the game (please just be an assistant or hit the stands).
Parents who take the spots of other parents who should be coaching but aren't part of the town clicksters.
Parents who coach and don't think it's appropriate for a parent to go to the fence after an at bat to let your kid know how to adjust because they are the COACH at age 8-12.
Parents who coach and think it's all in fun, just play everywhere and have fun no need to worry about winning!
Parents who you can tell never even play catch with their kids but from them off a LL because all the other kids are playing.
Did I mention parents and town clicks?;)

the Q

Reaction Score
If the girls are going to play at a higher level they need to know how to play within the rules. They won’t if fouls aren’t called. They should be thanking you. I’m completely serious.

Half the problem is everyone wants to play 40 minutes of hell and just play 40 minutes of hack instead.

And I can’t tell you how many coaches I’ve had who don’t understand legal guarding position, verticality, or how you can get a clean block up top but foul with the body.

And also....I think I just found my 5th!Favorite poster...

the Q

Reaction Score
Ok agree with most but on the other end of this:

Parents in political towns who coach their kids just because and don't know crap about the game (please just be an assistant or hit the stands).
Parents who take the spots of other parents who should be coaching but aren't part of the town clicksters.
Parents who coach and don't think it's appropriate for a parent to go to the fence after an at bat to let your kid know how to adjust because they are the COACH at age 8-12.
Parents who coach and think it's all in fun, just play everywhere and have fun no need to worry about winning!
Parents who you can tell never even play catch with their kids but from them off a LL because all the other kids are playing.
Did I mention parents and town clicks?;)

Depending on the age I have no issue with the one about parents being about the kids having fun. Frankly pre 7th grade I’m ok with it.

They’re kids. They should enjoy playing the game. But that’s what rec basketball is for.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Animal references for athletes. The older I get the more itbugs me.

Wingspan.
He can really jump out of the gym!
Looks like a thouroughbred.
Runs like a gazelle.

Turn them into car references. KO was onto something there.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'd like to introduce you to swim parents who stand up and yell "PULL!" while their kid is racing in heat two of a sixteen heat event at 7 am.

No kid in the history of swimming has ever actually heard their parents yelling because.....their ears are covered in two layers of silicone cap and, along with the rest of their head, are completely submerged under water.

But I gotta hear it.
No. You don't. You're Fishy and you have a fist.

the Q

Reaction Score
Animal references for athletes. The older I get the more itbugs me.

Wingspan.
He can really jump out of the gym!
Looks like a thouroughbred.
Runs like a gazelle.

Turn them into car references. KO was onto something there.

I take it you definitely aren’t a Muhammad Ali fan...

Reaction Score
Pre-season predictions on which teams will and will not make the playoffs, especially in football. Its mostly all about which teams get lucky or unlucky with injuries...not about your analysis.

Reaction Score
Soccer parents who yell "Boot it" or "Shoot."

We had a kid who booted it off her teammate's back and into our own goal. I told the Dad, "That's on you."

Or "shoot it!" when the ball is at midfield and the opposing team is in possession.

Maddening, especially now that they are at an age where they are emphasizing possession and spacing. I do my best to keep quiet on the sidelines. I'll let my kid know if he has the ball nearby that there's nobody pressuring him, but that's about it.

the Q

Reaction Score
Maddening, especially now that they are at an age where they are emphasizing possession and spacing. I do my best to keep quiet on the sidelines. I'll let my kid know if he has the ball nearby that there's nobody pressuring him, but that's about it.

You are a good sports parent.

Reaction Score
Blackout rules. I hated them when they couldn't sell out Patriots games back when they weren't that good and I couldn't watch them on an OTA broadcast.

Reaction Score
Depending on the age I have no issue with the one about parents being about the kids having fun. Frankly pre 7th grade I’m ok with it.

They’re kids. They should enjoy playing the game. But that’s what rec basketball is for.

Oh I get the fun part, maybe 8-10 years old but for me using LL for the example, 11-12 it's time for some to be coached a little more while still having fun. Now kids are hitting it harder and able to play the game so it always made me nervous trying to hide a kid who is there without any skills. I mean my son hit a line drive in his last year in LL to left field and the kid charged it but it hit him right in the face flattened his nose, gushing blood. He was turning his glove every which way on his way in no clue. My son felt awful as did everyone who watched it. If he can't catch at the age of 11-12 then he doesn't really want to be there. Any kid in his right mind who plays anything by that point wants to be pretty good at it you would think so they'd be out with dad, even mom or friends playing catch, pickle or something to get better.

I don't want to take away fron the "fun" ages my bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom